Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jasepl

RE: UN Claims US Is Stingy With Tsunami Aid

Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:29 am

The Israeli press has denied that there were issues with Israeli aid.

But a denial doesn't mean there weren't. However, it was apparently a few Muslim Lankans who did not want to be the recepients of Israeli assistance. That hardly makes it the position of the national population as a whole or the official stand of the Government.

Some people!

caribb

Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:37 am

Although it's been said I'll say it again: THe US alone wasn't finger pointed... it was "Western Countries" so don't take it like it was only aimed at the USA. Anyways we all know the US and US people give enormously to world aid not only in money but in physical contributions including people on the ground.

By the way how much has been pledged from the oil rich nations of the UAE, Saudi Arabia and the Middle East for this disaster? They are physcially closer to it all and could contribute a lot more much quicker than than North Americans or Europeans. I would hope in this instance their reaction is swift and generous.

update: Ah, I see my answer in post 37... It's important that those countries too contribute on a larger scale now that they are among the weathiest places on the planet... don't leave it all up to the "West" all the time.

[Edited 2004-12-29 20:40:16]

Russophile

Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:53 am

The US was hit with 4 different hurricanes over the summer and the UN said nothing about Europe or Asia being stingy with aid.

This is because is 'rich' enough to look after it's own. The same way that the UN didn't say anything about bushfires which decimated Canberra. Or floods/fires which decimate Europe every other year.

It is when disaster strikes those who are less fortunate than us so-called 'first worlders' that this aid is often needed and needed fast.

After hurricanes in Florida or European floodings the threat of disease isn't that great, because these nations have the $ to prevent it from happening. Nations such as Sri Lanka, Maldives, Thailand, etc often do not have the financial means to stop a social disaster after a natural one.

AIDS kills millions, and the UN says nothing about anyone being stingy.

Actually, the UN says a lot on this issue.

Yet when a disaster hits a half a world away, the US is expected to contribute the most? WTF?

Don't see anywhere where the UN has said this of the US. They were talking of all 'western' countries -- if people want to see this only as the US, then so be it. But please, don't make comments such as that. (A lot of this US-shit on this thread has to do with the OP title, and with people not even bothering to see what was actually said).

The 'west' has a duty to ensure that those people in the world who are less fortunate do not suffer anymore than they already have. No matter what the cost.

People have said, what programs would you like to cut in order for this aid to be given?

I can think of two right of the top of my head.

* The Australian government could release all people being held in detention centres in Nauru. The cost of keeping them in these centres is just stupid when community aid groups have offered to suppor them.
* The US government could halt spending US$65 million dollars to buy an election in another country, i.e. Ukraine

So much waste, when better things can be supported with this money.

Russophile: I thought I'd lost track of you, mate! How've you been?

Have been good. You? Busy these days in setting up a business which we hope to start in March, and which could see me relocating in a couple of years (if not sooner) -- I hope.  Big grin

BA

Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:03 am

By the way how much has been pledged from the oil rich nations of the UAE, Saudi Arabia and the Middle East for this disaster? They are physcially closer to it all and could contribute a lot more much quicker than than North Americans or Europeans. I would hope in this instance their reaction is swift and generous.

The Arab Gulf States have so far contributed $22 million and will soon contribute more.

$10 million from the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
$10 million from the State of Qatar.
$2 million from the State of Kuwait (hope this increases).

In addition, the government of the United Arab Emirates will be sending emergency supplies and other aid through the United Arab Emirates Red Crescent Society. The aid and emergency supplies will be sent via the national carrier of the United Arab Emirates, Etihad Airways. All of the cargo space on Etihad Airways' 18 weekly flights to Colombo, Mumbai, Bangkok and New Delhi will be dedicated for carrying these emergency supplies.

http://www.etihadairways.com/news/NewsDetails41.asp

In addition to all this. Rich investment groups in the Arab countries and some rich individuals are also sending millions of dollars to the nations. I will try to find out the names.

Regards
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

maiznblu_757

Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:59 am

India has literally millions of people living in the absolutely deplorable conditions. yet they supposedly have adequate resources to handle a crisis of this magnitude? It must suck to be a poor indian knowing your government is turning down aid which you desperately need. Shows how little the ruling caste care about the lowest castes.

jasepl

Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:08 am

Well, I'm supposed to be an elitist snob, so I really don't know how to answer that.

Still, I'm quite confident that our government has more than enough resources to handle this crisis within the country and to help out other countries at the same time. When there was a massive earthquake a few years ago, India didn't hesitate accepting all the assistance that was offered, because outside assistance was needed then. This time around, the government feel they can manage on their own.

There is a vast difference between the efforts and resources required for a permanent national poverty alleviation and those needed for disaster relief.

Having said that, I'll say again what I said before: "Why is it that governments - and this is applicable to all governments, rich and poor, American or Zairean or Indian - can easily afford certain kinds of things and not others?"

vafi88

Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:30 am

$35 mil is just a start, watch the news, Bush said so

Bush also said that Iraq was a *necessary and just* war.
I'd like to elect a president that has a Higher IQ than a retarted ant.

whitehatter

Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:33 am

£15m from our Government so far, and another £5 million from the British public to one charity alone in the last 24 hours. Not a bad start ($39 million) but a tiny fraction of what is going to be needed.
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

SegmentKing

Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:30 am

Where were these countries when 9/11 happened? What kind of aid did they offer us? I'd love to talk about what Indonesia did (people in the street saying "down with America?").....

-n
~ ~ ~ ~ pRoFeSsIoNaL hUrRiCaNe DoDgEr ~ ~ ~ ~

diamond

Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:19 pm

Speaking only about the U.S., it doesn't matter what our we've done in the past regarding humanitarian aid. It matters what we are doing right now, for this specific crisis. And - the answer is that we are currently offering to do too little.

Everyone, including our President, wants to remind everyone of our past generosity. The people in Asia who are now facing Cholera and starvation can't use our past efforts today.

And as generous as we like to claim that we are, Norway, Sweden, the Netherlands and Kuwait exceed us in percent of GDP.

It's not enough money. We can and should do better.

Ten largest donors to CAP 2003, measured by contributions as a proportion of GDP1

Blank.

Falcon84

Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:25 pm

Where were these countries when 9/11 happened? What kind of aid did they offer us? I'd love to talk about what Indonesia did (people in the street saying "down with America?").....

That's being pretty petty, I'm sorry to say. I doubt most of Indonesia was saying that, and to use 9/11 as an excuse not to help 12 nations deal with the deaths of what's going to be between 100,000 and 200,000 people is singularly small-minded.
Work Right, Fly Hard

jasepl

Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:29 pm

Speaking only about the U.S., it doesn't matter what our we've done in the past regarding humanitarian aid. It matters what we are doing right now, for this specific crisis. And - the answer is that we are currently offering to do too little.

Everyone, including our President, wants to remind everyone of our past generosity. The people in Asia who are now facing Cholera and starvation can't use our past efforts today....

It's not enough money. We can and should do better.

That's exactly right. Thank you Kevin.

Whilst we're busy arguing here about who's stingy and who's generous, I just saw a news program on a French channel that showed the true nature of some people.

Many foreign tourists couldn't wait to flee the Maldives, India, Sri Lanka and Thailand. I can't really say I blame them. But what was remarkable was that so many foreign tourists elected to stay on and help with the relief effort. The news reoprt showed lots of them helping out with delivering supplies, tending to the injured, help digging graves etc. Lots of men and women from countries as disparate as South Africa, France, India, New Zealand and Sweden.

Now that's generosity.

StowAway

Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:34 pm

Sweet St. Augustine help me! I agree with Falcon84 on something! I will be damned!  Smile

Turn the other cheek! Past relations aside.... a massive tragedy has occurred. It is time to step up. 9/11 can not be an excuse. However, I think that the US' contribution is good enough for now. However, American's who are able to themselves, and businesses should be chipping in.
A monkey's ass always talks crap.

AAplatnumflier

Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:42 pm

Hey we didnt have to dso anything for that country. They should be happy we are giving anything in my opinion. Also what has the person who made the statement contributed??

Falcon84

Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:46 pm

Hey we didnt have to dso anything for that country. They should be happy we are giving anything in my opinion.

Why? Because we're the great United States? Grow up, my friend. Our common humanity demands we help those people, not shit on them, because of something most of them didn't do.

This is an even that can help bring people across the planet a little closer together. We don't need nationalism in any form to drive us farther apart.
Work Right, Fly Hard

jasepl

Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:48 pm

However, I think that the US' contribution is good enough for now. However, American's who are able to themselves, and businesses should be chipping in.

I've no doubt individual Americans already have and will continue to contribute all they can. As for American companies, well, Pfizer coughed up $35 million! The same goes for individuals and companies from many other countries, rich and poor.

The entire Indian Navy and several city and state employees have contributed anything from a day's to a week's pay. Almost all large companies have made huge contributions.

Hell, even Maria Sharapova made a significant contribution! Private contributions aren't an issue at all.

It's governmental aid that continues to be insignificant.

I'm sorry, but compated to America, Spain's a poor country. However, their contribution is the highest of any nation. India's a severely impoverished country and yet the government managed to come up with $30 million for other countries, which is the same amount America's now proposing.

And I'll say again that, looking back, I'm glad Egeland made the remarks he did. Amongst other things, they got Germany to increase their assistance tenfold, got America to double their contribution and no doubt got others to think, clarify and vocalise their intent.

jasepl

Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:51 pm

Hey we didnt have to dso anything for that country. They should be happy we are giving anything in my opinion. Also what has the person who made the statement contributed??

LOL! What have you done, kid?

AAplatnumflier

Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:52 pm

Falcon84 how many countries helped us after 9/11 and with the conflicts in Afghanistan and Iraq?? What do you say to all the countries that didn't help?

Falcon84

Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:56 pm

What do you say to all the countries that didn't help?

You turn to them, in an hour of need, with an unprecedented catastrophe and say "how can we help".

You do what is right. You help these people. Common decency and our common humanity demands no less.
Work Right, Fly Hard

AAplatnumflier

Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:58 pm

Very true Falcon84.....but Freedom Fries.....the U.S. has a tendancy to sometimes fight back in interesting ways...in your opinion would we help North Korea if a disaster happened there?

bravo7e7

Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:00 pm

Falcon, we ask the countries that did not help us on 9/11 how we can help them?

jasepl

Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:02 pm

....how many countries helped us after 9/11 and with the conflicts in Afghanistan and Iraq?? What do you say to all the countries that didn't help?

LOL! How soon we forget. Almost all countries offered some sort of assistance - or at least moral support because they really weren't in a position to do much else - after 11 September (France and Germany included!).

There wasn't much real opposition to the basic plan of invading Afghanistan either.

Iraq, on the other hand, wasn't a natural disaster, The poor Iraqis didn't bring it upon themselves, and had eff-all to do with terrorism.

You do the maths.

StowAway

Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:02 pm

AA, please, help yourself. No..... Noooo....

You want to know what to say? "Help is on the way, neighbor." The toll is expected to hit over 100,000 people. This is a world disaster. Screw the politics.

Jasepl, yes, I agree. The projected number from America is a little short. I do have faith that the number will be increased as needed, though.

AA, before you post again, please put yourself in the shoes of those victims who literally have NOTHING.

jasepl

Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:06 pm

....we ask the countries that did not help us on 9/11 how we can help them?

There aren't very many of any significance that fit that bill. And even if they do, in times of a natural disaster on a scale such as this, yes, that's exactly what should be done.

If Pakistan could offer assistance to her worst enemy, India, the United States can and must certainly offer assistance to North Korea, a country that hasn't done anything to America.

bravo7e7

Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:10 pm

Jasepl, how did France and Germany help us at all?

jasepl

Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:17 pm

Jasepl, how did France and Germany help us at all?

Good God! Are you really that ignorant or are you just trying to stir things up?

If you really don't know, I suggest you go do your own research first, instead of jumping to farcical conclusions.

Besides, how does it matter? This weeks events are a natural disaster and had nothing to do with any politician, terrorist or weapon of mass anything.

jasepl

Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:27 pm

Jasepl, yes, I agree. The projected number from America is a little short. I do have faith that the number will be increased as needed, though.

I'm now fairly confident as well Stowaway. But in these situations timing and symbolisation are very important. And I'm afraid America's not been doing well with either.

Much poorer countries offered more assistance before America did anything. It took George Bush until the fifth say to say anything at all. And if Egeland hadn't used the word 'stingy' I honestly think it would have taken Bush even longer.

Even with symbolisation, there was some prat from the American government go on and on on TV about how America's the best at rescuing, the best at troop mobilisation, America's got the best equipment etc, etc. And people are wondering where all the best of everything is. This image is being compared to Israeli, French, Russian, British, Australian and Indian troops, planes, ships and supplies beginning to arrive at the disaster sites on the first day itself. And it doesn't paint a very pretty picture.

clipperhawaii

Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:36 pm

In fiscal '03 and '04 the United States has given 40% of the total money of all governments combined for disaster relief. 40%. And that is just from government.

The use of a percentage of GNP is extremely misleading and gives a false sense of the total dollar amount. The United States is far from being stingy. When I see these charts of countries generosity linked to their GNP I just have to laugh.

That should put an end to that story. Now the most important thing is to get all this relief from around the world to the victims.

"You Can't Beat The Experience"

jasepl

Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:13 pm

That should put an end to that story.

It doesn't. Not yet anyway. America's certainly been extremely generous a lot of the time. So far this week though, it hasn't.

Besides, most of the aid given so far hasn't been given for disaster relief and nor was it used for any such puropse. Now's a better time than any to ensure sid contributions go towards real humanitarian purposes, rather than make corrupt politicians richer or help fund weapons purchases.

[Edited 2004-12-30 07:16:55]

Falcon84

Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:35 pm

Falcon, we ask the countries that did not help us on 9/11 how we can help them?

Yes, unless you're totally devoid of humanity in the conservative mind of yours.
Work Right, Fly Hard

diamond

Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:34 pm

" ... in your opinion would we help North Korea if a disaster happened there? ... "

You didn't ask ME this question, but I will answer it anyway:

Hell yes we should help them. North Koreans are human beings.
Blank.

AAplatnumflier

Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:54 pm

Let me tell ya....my father met a guy from Sri Lanka two weeks ago at a company party. Funny thing is is that he really wanted to go to Sri Lanka too after he met this guy...guess what that all changed. I do have feelings for the people there....but I was just asking about the Political side of it.

jpetekyxmd80

Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:54 pm

I'll throw my 2 cents in here....

I hate when politics have to come into play like they do when a catastophe occurs. I think everyone needs to step back and remember that those are people over there, not representatives of their government,or diplomatic tools. This has truly been a worldwide event with victims from everywhere you can imagine. I don't care if their government supported US wars or anything, they are need. Supporting a military conflict is a much more complicated issue, and some of the countries effected would have had little to give anyway- but that is besides the point, there are human beings in need. As i do agree with bravo7e7 about generous donations from US citizens, I still find the initial government reaction and funding revolting. Isn't it something like 1/10 of 1% of what has been used on Iraq?
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

EZEIZA

Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:30 pm

Just my .02 as well...

After reading the posts my conclusion is that some people are just plain stupid (you know who you are) and most are smart. And this has nothing to do with the thread title. How can someone say that countries that did not support the US here or there should not be helped? Even N.Korea was brought in...why should help be denied to them? What the hell is wrong with some people? oh, and by the way, on 9/11, practically the whole world stood b the US.
As I already mentioned, most people here are smart and have a consideration for human life, which is the major issue at the moment. Regarding the thread title, well, 35 mill does not look like too much, especially when other countries, such as Spain, are offering double.

I'm watching CNN now and they are showing the footage of 2 kids being swept away by the wave ... imagine 80,000 more cases like this one...this is a very sad moment... Sad
Carp aunque ganes o pierdas ...

StowAway

Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:08 am

>>....but I was just asking about the Political side of it.<<

AAPlatnum, there is, and should not be a political side of this.

Falcon84

Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:11 am

AAPlatnum, there is, and should not be a political side of this.

Amen, StowAway. It seems we don't agree on much, but we seem to be of a single mind on this.

For once, for God's sake, keep your political aversions and hatreds out of this! Someone doesn't like me repeating this, but apparently it needs repeating: these people need help, not political posturing. Give to the Red Cross or Red Crescent, or UNICEF, or whatever you feel is appropriate.

Keep you political leanings out of this, for once.
Work Right, Fly Hard

delta-flyer

Fri Dec 31, 2004 3:02 am

I would like to point out that the government is not the only US entity that gives aid. There are private grass roots organizations that pitch in through the Red Cross, Churches and Synagogues, and other groups. This aid comes from local citizens, even school children giving up their milk money.

I think that suggesting that Americans are stingy is a huge insult. The $35 million is just an initial offer for first response - as the president says, the final number will be about $1 billion. Bush also said that in previous years, the US donated 40% of the total aid provided. I'd say that's about our fair share.

I would like to share with you one small story from one small area in the US - in fact, from the poorest state in the US (where I happen to live), from our local paper this morning ......

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20041230/NEWS01/412300342/1002

Cheers,
Pete
"In God we trust, everyone else bring data"

jasepl

Fri Dec 31, 2004 3:05 am

Again, Pete, VSLover's misquoted topic notwithstanding, no one suggested what you're claiming.

Egeland accused the West of collectively being stingy this week. Looking back, I'm glad he did.

WindowSeat

Fri Dec 31, 2004 3:57 am

Why are we not talking about the nature of aid? Is it a giveaway or is it a loan? Thats right, it's a LOAN. The latest addition of $20m in US aid is money that is being made available to these countries as a "line of credit". Some years from now, the US will demand it's pound of flesh, for fronting some money for one of the world's most tragic natural disasters. Put that in perspective of the $4billion dollars that Iraq owed the US that was recently written off.

How much of the money that other nations have given is aid and not a loan?

cheers

I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards.

sebolino

Fri Dec 31, 2004 4:54 am

In a Fox News interview this week, Natsios said France tends not to be a world leader in foreign aid and often packages its help as loans, which he suggested are inappropriate in emergencies.

"The aid program in France is not that big," he said. "They do not tend to be dominant figures in the aid. The British are, the European Union (news - web sites) is, the Japanese are, we are, the Canadians are."

Funny.

First he lies on the loan subject (that's totally false).
Second he lies on the numbers.

France allotted .41 percent of its gross national income to development aid in 2003, nearly triple the .15 percent from the United States, according to the Paris-based Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development.

The United States, which has a far bigger economy, led in dollar terms, donating $16.2 billion to France's $7.2 billion, which ranked third among the G-8 nations, OECD figures show. Japan was second.

ANCFlyer

Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:00 am

but I was just asking about the Political side of it.

There is no politics here. This is about saving lives AAPlatinum.

This situation has caused me to agree even with fellas like Falcon84 . . . hell, even StowAway agrees with him - now we're getting somewhere!

would we help North Korea if a disaster happened there Damn right we should help them. If this same disaster had occured against North Korea, we should be right there . . .

This is not about politics AAPlatinum, this is about humanity and doing the right thing. I may not like your sorry ass, but if you were in the middle of shit storm, as these people obviously are, I'm going to try to help you.

We may go back to bashing each other later, but for now, it's the decent and right thing to do!

[Edited 2004-12-30 22:27:55]
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

StowAway

Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:23 am

Very, Very well said ANCFlyer! That should be the final word on the "p" word in this thread, IMO.

By the way, Colin Powell has now backed an idea for debt relief for Asian countries affected by this disaster.

Here is a link to the story for those who are interested!
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/afp/20041230/ts_alt_afp/asiaquakeuspowell&cid=1506&ncid=2337

b757300

Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:27 am

And what has Kofi Annan been doing these last three days? He's been busy on his ski trip. Guess he was checking to see if the snow was melting from global warming.
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

ANCFlyer

Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:28 am

Stowaway:

Glad to see we want to relieve the debt - these coutnries will need all the help they can get.

AAPlatinum is a kid - he'll grow up one of these days.

You and I can go back to bashing Falcon later!  Big thumbs up
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

AAplatnumflier

Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:28 am

I personally have given money to my parents so they can go ahead and forward it to the Red Cross. I know how hard it is. I personally contributed. I just want to apologize for my childish actions. I am 13 and some of my beliefs are incorrect and I want to thank you for correcting them.

My non-political opinion is that a good number of us Americans are eating everynight and have that money that we were going to spend on something that we wanted...i.e. A luxury not a necessity...whether We give $1.00 or $1,000,000.00 it does not matter just as long as we are giving and helping the people out in hard times. Who knows it may come back at us one day.

[Edited 2004-12-31 00:33:55]

diamond

Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:42 am

" ... And what has Kofi Annan been doing these last three days? ... "

I guess if he had been vacationing in Crawford, Texas for the last six days, you would think that is just fine, right?
Blank.

Boeing4ever

Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:22 am

http://www.redcross.org/

There, donate to the International Relief Fund. I just put in 5 USD, and will put in more when I refill my checking account...or at least figure out why the online thing wouldn't process the 10 USD figure I had set from my Debit card.

Rather than argue about this, especially when the amount of aid pouring in increases everyday thus making this argument stupid and pointless (but then again, so are some of the superstar users who have made this thread what it is today  Yeah sure ) So there...put up or shut up yourselves and quite worrying about what governments send...that is assuming any of you care more about the victims than padding your worthless egos.

B4e-Forever New Frontiers

777236ER

Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:28 am

So maybe Jan Egeland's comments has spurned some Americans (and other Western people) to maybe give that extra $10 to the Red Cross etc? And people say he said a bad thing?
Your bone's got a little machine

singaporegirl

Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:00 pm

an interesting article: "NY Times calls U.S. aid for tsunami 'miserly'"

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/12/30/quake.usa.editorial.reut/index.html
Ladies & Gentlemen, we will now demonstrate the use of the safety equipment on this aircraft...

jasepl

Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:02 pm

Whatever we might think of Jan Egeland's remarks, they had their desired effect. Like it or not, Egeland managed to effectively shame many governments to review their initially stingy offers of assistance and increase them to something at least partially respectable.

Collectively, it's still a pittance, but the world's come a long way since that accusation.

Good on us.