Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

'Longreach'
Topic Author

Disgusted By US Today Show 30/12 Re:Asia Crisis

Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:30 pm

This is not a stab at Americans because I know they've been getting a hard time over this, but it is directed towards this show in particular.

I was watching this early this morning, and they had two "professionals", one from the BBC (Katty Kay I think) and some political analyst.

The interview was over the 'stingy' comments from the UN. The political analyst said yes Bush did react too late blah blah blah, at a time where the rest of the world directs hatred towards America he should have used this as an opportunity to curve this hatred. Then Matt, Katty and the analyst all agreed that the countries affected were mostly Muslim (ie Aceh) and this would have been the perfect OPPORTUNITY for Bush to make friends in the region by donating aide and helping these countries out, to improve America's image!

Let me know if this is just me, but I felt it was the most selfish news interview I have ever seen, and I was sitting there shaking my head in disgust. To view this disaster as an opportunity is beyond words for me, and I cant believe it was televised! Has politics gone too far in the US? Or is the Today show insane? OR am I insane haha? I should start a poll!

Alessandro

RE: Disgusted By US Today Show 30/12 Re:Asia Crisis

Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:39 pm

Strange that they didn´t mention that more US citizens are missing than the number of US citizens that lost their lives during 11sept 2001.
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

aerobalance

Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:07 am

It's a shame to see this when on the face of it all, our greatest contribution was never called upon by the countries now affected - the tsunami warning system hardware- which we were more than willing to sell and install for this region. The cost for this equipment is a drop in the bucket compare to all of the lives lost and the amount of money in 'aid' that is now being called for.

Utterly ridiculous to call the US stingy, or anything else. These countries blew it by not installing this warning system and should bare the brunt of their lack of responsibility, not the US.
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

artsyman

Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:14 am

Strange that they didn´t mention that more US citizens are missing than the number of US citizens that lost their lives during 11sept 2001.

While I am aware that you continue to harp on about this, it is just a pointless direction to go. September 11th was a planned event, it was designed to kill people. The Tsunamies are not a planned event.

For you to try and equate them, and diminish September 11th by it, is really just sad

Jeremy

Falcon84

Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:15 am

I dunno. When we can give $13 billion to Florida, for something not as remotely devistating, maybe we do need to loosen the purse strings a little bit. I have every confidence we will, but I'd like to hear the President say that we'll pledge a few billion, if that's what it takes to help those affected, not just get defensive because a whole $35 million is in the pipeline.
Work Right, Fly Hard

gigneil

RE: Disgusted By US Today Show 30/12 Re:Asia Crisi

Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:18 am

Nothing that Katie Couric ever says is wrong or bad.

She's perfect.

N

Falcon84

Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:19 am

Well, she took it to that bitch Ann Coulter once, so she's OK in my book.  Big grin
Work Right, Fly Hard

Newark777

Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:31 am

I dunno. When we can give $13 billion to Florida, for something not as remotely devistating, maybe we do need to loosen the purse strings a little bit

This was a natural disaster within America. It is the duty of the US government to send aide to its citizens when they are in need, such as during the hurricane season.

The tsunami is a whole different scenario. This was a foreign occurrence, in which the US is not bound to help; we are just helping because it is the right thing to do. The US takes care of its citizens first and foremost, everything else takes a back seat.

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

dl021

Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:45 am

As the Florida devastation was within our borders we were economically obligated to pony up all the money for this, so making comparisons between apples and oranges here is a little deceiving.

The international nature of this event and the response to it will spread out the response, and you will see that the US response will be proportional, and larger than any other nation from outside the disaster zone.

Anyway, the billions did not get assigned within a week. We sent people down to look, and it took three hurricanes within month to get the total to where it was.

President Bush has sent Powell and Governor Bush to see what needs happening, and in the meantime we have sent airplanes full of materiel, ships to provide sustenance and facilities, and money to start working. It is all just starting.

Is there a chance we can de-politicize the relief efforts?
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

cwapilot

Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:54 am

Ahhh, back to this bullsh*t again. Why doesn't anyone bring up the fact that it took Koffi Annan, whose main job involves responding to this sort of thing, a full day LONGER than Bush to publicly respond to the disaster? $35 million in snap relief, not counting the cost of moving an entire aircraft carrier group to the area almost immediately after it happened, is nothing to scoff at. News wires are now reporting that, after the completion of some assessments, aid has been increased TENFOLD, to $350 million in direct relief, still not counting the military movement, and evil American corporate contributions...even from the root of all evil...pharmaceutical companies!

OPPORTUNITY is the key word here. Opportunistic opponents of this president are using this horrible tragedy as an OPPORTUNITY to score political points, and this is the most pathetic thing of all. The whiners KNEW FROM THE START that aid would increase, probably several times, over time. So, they create a scenario by which the president is evil and uncaring for not immediately dumping $2 billion at a situation, not knowing where it would go or how it would be used, in countries whic, by the way, don't have the best track record in the corruption department, Indonesia in particular. Part two in the left wing playbook is to then take credit for each expected increase, saying it wouldn't have happened without their pressure and the somments by that UN twit a few days ago.

To all of those without homes and without most of their families and friends after this tragedy, I hope it is all worth it to you that you contributed in some way to left wing efforts to try to score political points against this president. Comeon guys, even Bill Clinton said that coordination is needed before tons of money and goods are shoved at this problem, and it went virtually unnoticed. Get over it, and concentrate on the real issue at hand...helping these people.

Given the amount spent on Florida, and speaking of government contributions...it would be interesting to see how much India (which I believe is doing quite a bit), Sri Lanka (which is pretending everything is under control), Thailand (haven't heard anything) and Indoensia (again, haven't heard anything) are contributing to help their own citizens, their primary responsibility. It had better be far more than the $350 million the U.S. is contributing.
Southside Irish...our two teams are the White Sox and whoever plays the Cubs!

Newark777

Sat Jan 01, 2005 3:30 am

I am personally sick at how everything in this world is turned into an anti-Bush anti-US political debate. We already have countless threads about that. Wasn't this thread initially about the Today show talking about the disaster being an opportunity for the US? People need to stop spinning everything to aide their own political ideals.

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

usatoeze

Sat Jan 01, 2005 4:00 am

Well to answer the actual point of this post .....

Yes Matt Lauer and Katie Couric are awful tabloid style interviewers, and yes that interview was as pathetic and awful as you will ever see anywhere in media. Katie especially is shallow and pathetic....and this is all why they are clearly #1 in USA morning ratings.
Katie is the idiot that interviewed Hillary during the Monica scandal and failed to even reference Bill's cheating past.....what substance..she makes Larry King look like a freight train full of facts.

and the rest of this is all blown out of proportion...

The UN said something about the US for one purpose...to get a high dollar amount pledge to reassure those countries hardest afflicted. The fact that the comment was aimed at the US was obvious....but Japan and others sitting closely followed too...and at the end of the day the higher pledge was in and the US and every other country will closely monitor where the money goes...just as they should. This is a non-issue....
War is a very poor political tool

Russophile

Sat Jan 01, 2005 4:15 am

These countries blew it by not installing this warning system and should bare the brunt of their lack of responsibility, not the US.

My understanding is that these nations made the decisions they made after discussing the issue amongst themselves, and also after consulting members of the Pacific system, of which the US and Japan and others are members of. It was the opinion of all sides that a tsunami warning system in the Indian Ocean was unnecessary.

This was a foreign occurrence, in which the US is not bound to help; we are just helping because it is the right thing to do.

As far as I am concerned, all people have a moral obligation/duty to help other people, no matter what colour, race, religion, financial standing, etc. Whilst legally, no nation is 'bound' to help others in times such as this, human decency would dictate otherwise. I guess this is the social humanist in me coming out.

I am personally sick at how everything in this world is turned into an anti-Bush anti-US political debate.

Do you know how this turned into that? It was because of the Bush administration itself. Jan Egeland from the UN made a comment in which NO country was named, nor implied.

"We were more generous when we were less rich, many of the rich countries," Egeland said Monday. "And it is beyond me, why are we so stingy, really. ... Even Christmas time should remind many Western countries at least how rich we have become."

The Bush administration took issue with his comment and assumed it was directed firmly at the US (which it was not) and 'counter-attacked', except that counter-attack of "we do so give aid" was accompanied before and after by a perceived stingy amount. This of course set the world off. Remember, Washington makes no qualms about gloating that the US being the 'richest' country in the world. When a government 'gloats' as much as it does, and then gives what is perceived to be a stingy amount, of course people are going to take that government to task for it, particularly when other 'less rich' nations had put up more money quicker.

News wires are now reporting that, after the completion of some assessments, aid has been increased TENFOLD, to $350 million in direct relief

This is a very welcome addition. And not directed at only the US, but all of the 'rich' 'western' countries -- this is only the tip of the iceberg of what will be required.

EA CO AS

Sat Jan 01, 2005 4:38 am

She's perfect.

Her LEGS certainly are, anyway.  Love

"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

cwapilot

Sat Jan 01, 2005 6:47 am

$350 million IS the tip of the iceberg...Colin Powell said, in the aftermath of the UN twit's comments (and, sorry naive people, it is clear at whom he was directing his comments...with these UN people, it is about what is NOT said, just as much as what IS said.), US expenditures, when all is said and done, will be in the billion dollar range or more...and it has NOTHING to do with the UN twit's comments, nor the left wing carping in the United States.

What is most appaling to me is how China is escaping any criticism or browbeating from anyone. They are the largest country in the region, they are NEIGHBORS with the affected countries, they have the fastest growing economy in the world (between 2 and 20 times the rate of growth of other countries, depending upon the country of comparison) and they come up with a paltry token amount. Germany, France and Russia have also been absolutely pathetic. Spain's amount was impressive; the collective EU amount is still below what was called "stingy" for the United States. Since the EU is determined to be just as good and then one better than the U.S., is the EU now going to pledge $351 million? And how many of these countries have blown their entire wad preamatureley, just to get in a number higher than the U.S.? Will they be there in 6 months? 18 months? 60 months, as Indonesia thinks it will take to be completely recovered? Chances are, after the news dies down and we move on to our next crisis, Australia and Uncle Sam will be the last ones left, as usual.

I am the most impressed with Australia. No criticism of others, no big, grand glorious amounts...just quick relief of the type that was absolutely necessary, where it was needed the most, and a commitment for the long haul. They responded as the US should be expected to if something like this happened in the Americas. They are demonstrating real regional leadership, while they are usually lambasted by the likes of the Malaysians especially, for being too white to be part of Asia. I hope this changes some minds.

When will it stop being politicized, a couple have asked? Well, when the Democrats stop putting their pundits and congressional leaders on television in order to use it to their political advantage...then it will no longer be politicized. Tell Senator Leahy to shut the hell up, or get elected president himself, and then maybe that will stop.
Southside Irish...our two teams are the White Sox and whoever plays the Cubs!

Alessandro

Sat Jan 01, 2005 7:03 am

If you´re dead or injured by natural disaster or by someone harming you, the end result is the same death. US tried to warn, most countries didn´t listen,
Kenya did and lost hundreds of it´s citizens instead of thousands.

From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

artsyman

Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:09 am

Considering Katie has had the whole week off and is away on holiday, I am surprised that anyone managed to see her say something out of place on the air.

J

StowAway

Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:50 am

Or is the Today show insane?

DING, DING! Welcome to the American Liberal Media......

Katie is the idiot that interviewed Hillary during the Monica scandal and failed to even reference Bill's cheating past.....what substance..she makes Larry King look like a freight train full of facts.

Nice example. I can assure you this was no accident.
A monkey's ass always talks crap.

'Longreach'
Topic Author

Disgusted By US Today Show 30/12 Re:Asia Crisis

Sat Jan 01, 2005 3:09 pm

Ok Thanks for the two replies out of 17 that actually spoke about the topic I raised! Nice!!

If the rest of you actually read the post I specifically REQUESTED this was not directed towards Americans but the show itself.

And if you also read (and actually paid attention) you'd realise Katie Couric had NOTHING to do with this interview.

Trying to steer this back on track: the interview stated that Bush should be using this disaster to improve Americ's image. Does that sicken anybody else?

Do not stop here to write your crap please, only replies relating to the interview!

manni

Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:44 pm

Artsyman,

You're accusing Allessandro that he diminish 09/11/01 by this? What do you expect? While I see no reason to start about 09/11/01 in the Tsunami threads as both events are of a total different nature, the 2500 deads of 9/11/01 are indeed a small price that has been payed COMPARED to the 120000+ victims killed in the Tsunami. Whatever the nature of each disaster is.

backfire

Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:35 pm

The tsunami warning system might have saved a few lives but it wouldn't have prevented the devastation to infrastructure. You'd still be looking at a $10 billion recovery effort.

sccutler

Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:37 am

The United States will (along with equally-important efforts from dozens of other countries) provide massive assistance, both financial and logistical (perhaps the most important just now).

American citizens will step up with huge financial contributions to assist (as many already have, and many more will do, again in concert with millions from around the globe).

Neither our government nor our citizens will do this to "improve our image"; it will, be done because (1) it must be done, and (2) we have the resources to do it. This same equation holds true for every country and every person which/who helps. With devastation on this scale, it is not about the helpers; it is about the victims.

Those who feel otherwise should get back to eating their Count Chocula and watching heir cartoons.

Finally, big thumbs-up to the observation about Australia and her huge response; the Aussies are well-situated to be fisrt-responders, and they have stepped up in a big way.

Aussie Aussie Aussie...
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

airplay

Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:53 am

Utterly ridiculous to call the US stingy, or anything else. These countries blew it by not installing this warning system and should bare the brunt of their lack of responsibility, not the US.

Tsk tsk...such short-sightedness.

Many of the people killed in the disaster didn't own a radio or TV. Many were in areas that any sort of early warning system simply wouldn't be able to warn many people.

Turning this into a question of whether or not to buy products from the US to avert disaster exposes a great deal of ignorance.

By the way....I heard that the Bush administration had a great deal of warning about the 9/11 attacks. Dubya chose to ignore the warnings. Does that mean that the US should "bare the brunt of their lack of responsibilty"?

Nobody is saying the US should be the only contributor to aid in the area. However, this incident is further exposing America's general policy of participation in global affairs, only if there is profit to be made.