Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

airplay
Topic Author

Newfoundland..the Reluctant Province

Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:12 am

ST. JOHN'S — Newfoundland and Labrador's premier ordered the removal of all Canadian flags from provincial government buildings Thursday.

Danny Williams made the order in retaliation for an offer from the federal government on offshore royalties he calls a "slap in the face."

http://stjohns.cbc.ca/regional/servlet/View?filename=nf-williams-flag-20041223

Essentially we have the premier of a province that has been plagued with economic problems ranging from the collapse of the fishery to the delay of the development of a huge nickel mine because of various reasons, refusing to pitch in and help fill the federal coffers after decades of help in the form of federal money.

Newfoundland suffers from a well established culture of poor work ethic. Of ANY province in Canada, Newfoundland takes advantage of the social safety net, especially the employment insurance system.

It has long been the norm in Newfoundland for people to "share" jobs. People remain employed just long enough to be eligible for employment insurance benefits then re-enter the work force when the benefits are about to run out. Welfare? Doesn't pay enough.

This is not to say that Newfoundlanders sit on their hands while they are on "pogey". One of their favorite pastimes between real jobs, is moonlighting and getting paid under the table.

A CBC documentary a few years ago, pretty much proved that Newfoundlanders pulled almost as much fish out of the Atlantic illegally as they did legally. Very few Newfoundlanders have empty freezers. Cod isn't off the menu on tables there. Of course Newfoundlanders blame the government.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20030428/grimes_ottawa_cod_closures_030428/

Newfoundlanders try to present themselves as independent people who are capable of living off the land. However the reality is that they have a history of exploiting the government social safety net and resist any conservation efforts. A few years ago, National Geographic Magazine sent people out to Newfoundland to look into the Wood Duck population. They were threatened and warned. Someone took a Wood Duck and impaled it on a pole outside their hotel room.

What really needs to happen is for Newfoundland’s premier to wake up and realize that the Canadian government has supported his province for decades and now its time to share some of the wealth of newly found resources developed with Canadian money.

The removal of the Canadian flag from provincial buildings is not only in poor taste but it’s a slap in the face to all Canadians. If they feel so hard-done-by, maybe they should consider separation. I for one wouldn’t miss them. I don’t think you would see many other provinces come to their defense as we have seen with Quebec.

At this point in time, the premier has officially turned Newfoundland into a leech of the worst kind.

yooyoo

RE: Newfoundland..the Reluctant Province

Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:23 am

I can't read all of your post?

Andreas
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T

airplay
Topic Author

Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:30 am

Enable your cookies.

caribb

Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:01 am

Sad to see yet another province in Canada turn it's back on the country. I guess Newfoundlanders are thinking that if they keep the wealth they are now reaping they can stop living off the backs of the rest of the country thereby repaying them in kind. I have no idea if there is a logic there or not but I understand other Canadians not taking a liking to the idea of a previously poor province suddenly presenting itslef as self centered and selfish.

After living through all the years of Quebec's "I love, I hate I'm indifferent to Canada" it only saddens me to see it all starting over again with yet another region. BC & Alberta have had their moments, who's next? It would seem no one appreciates the country we live in, puts it first in priority and is willing to share what we have across the country for the greater good of everyone. Ok sounds nice in words but is it happening in reality? Probably not to everyone's satisfaction. Blame that on Federal politics, regional political leanings and a highly centralized economic techno/industrial base among many other things that makes the distribution of wealth uneven in this country.

I just hate the notion of any part of Canada holding it's breath until it gets what it wants. It seems so immature politically. People need to stand up for what they believe, hold serious positions and keep a keen eye on how it affects other provinces around them. If they can't accept their role in the country then they should just get out and don't drag the whole nation into a long juvenile pissing match. Get out the rular, measure up and walk away satisfied or not. End of story. LOL.  Smile

redngold

Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:27 am

Just because they are living on a subsistence economy and their economy is based on fishing doesn't mean they have a poor work ethic!

Your comments make you sound awfully biased against the Newfies. If you haven't already, you ought to travel there and see for yourself what it's like to live on "the rock."
Up, up and away!

airplay
Topic Author

Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:29 am

Your comments make you sound awfully biased against the Newfies. If you haven't already, you ought to travel there and see for yourself what it's like to live on "the rock."

I know a great deal of Newfoundlanders that recognize the defeatist attitudes that exist on the rock.

Its not the "subsistence" economy that breeds the poor work ethic. Its the overwhelming attitude that the country that adopted owes them a living.

AWspicious

Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:59 pm

"Your comments make you sound awfully biased against the Newfies..."

And, your use of that nic-name can be considered insulting  Wink/being sarcastic
(I know you didn't mean to be)
Nevermind political correctness - Envision using your turn signals!

csavel

Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:42 am

Maybe they never should have joined Canada in the first place. WOnder what would have been had they stayed separate.
I may be ugly. I may be an American. But don't call me an ugly American.

VonRichtofen

Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:22 am

"Maybe they never should have joined Canada in the first place. WOnder what would have been had they stayed separate."

Probably a 3rd world country

airplay
Topic Author

Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:00 pm

Residents of Labrador are distancing themselves from the Newfoundland premiers idiocy.

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/LondonFreePress/News/2005/01/04/806609-sun.html

Classy move on the part of these Labrador inhabitants.