Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

rsmith6621a
Topic Author

Jeb Bush To Asia?....WHY

Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:42 am

This is another Stinker from the Bush administration......

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/01/02/national/main664274.shtml

"Powell and the president's brother, Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, who has experience with extensive hurricane damage in Florida, leave Sunday on a fact-finding mission to help the U.S. focus its relief efforts for coastal areas in the Indian Ocean ravaged by the Dec. 26 tsunamis. "

If this is a true fact then perhaps the President ought to call upon a couple of California govenors who have extensive expereince in Earthquakes.....otherwise it appears that they are preping Jeb for a White House run in 2008......Just like George I doubt that Jeb really gives a HOOT about those peope more than they both care about the family name and their own best intrest.

Another Bush family PHOTO-OP......
Did You Ever Think Freedom Could Be this Bad

clickhappy

RE: Jeb Bush To Asia?....WHY

Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:56 am

Randall, so what?

Maybe its about politics, maybe it isn't, but who really cares?

I don't like Bush (well, at least not that kind) but you gotta let it slide.

yukimizake

Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:07 am

Ya don't think it might be because experience with hurricane disasters is more relevant to the damage caused by tsunami's. Although maybe Arnie should've gone too, he'll be Jeb's VP, right?.

SlamClick

Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:11 am

Pretty much the same reason New York's junior Senator jumped in front of a camera on 9/11 before the first shard of broken glass hit the street.

It's called politics and those of you who give a damn about it have made it exactly the way it is.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

MaverickM11

Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:15 am

"Just like George I doubt that Jeb really gives a HOOT about those peope more than they both care about the family name and their own best intrest"

Change a couple names and we have...

Just like Hillary I doubt that Bill really gives a HOOT about those peope more than they both care about the family name and their own best intrest.

It's like Mad Libs...
I don't take responsibility at all

rsmith6621a
Topic Author

Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:27 am

Maverick just gave the typical RightyRight wing response.....

He had to bring the Clintons into the conversation......Remember WJC is not the president anymore.

Why dont you rightys hold your own accountable......

jaysit

Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:32 am

I dont know about Hillary or Jeb, but Bill Clinton is adored in South Asia (and the rest of the world outside of Conservistan, USA). His presence there is sure to push lazy governments to ensure that aid is actually delivered, instead of languishing away in warehouses. Clinton can get things done overseas, that other currently elected leaders cannot, by sheer force of personality.

Jeb Bush's visit to the affected parts of the world may be a political grab. But so what? Its what politicos do. Besides, I think that many affected people will feel that the US President has been respectful and mindful of their plight by sending his brother as envoy. You and I may think differently, but in many parts of the world, family ties mean everything, and the presence of the President's brother will be duly noted by affected Asians and their governments. Thus, Jeb Bush's presence may be construed as a sign of great respect.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

ConcordeBoy

Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:33 am

He had to bring the Clintons into the conversation

Which, as you should know, developed as a result of the "typical LeftyLeft" wing response: to immediately pine for the Clinton/Gore era in each and every reference to a policy decision made by Bush/Cheney  Yeah sure
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

StarAC17

Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:33 am

As Yukimizake said they probably sent Jeb because he has experience with a similar disaster in that a tsunami and a Storm Surge are both tidal waves just formed by different natural occurrences the only thing that is different is that a storm surge is far more predictable than a Tsunami.

If this is a true fact then perhaps the President ought to call upon a couple of California govenors who have extensive expereince in Earthquakes.....

Even though a very strong earthquake caused those Tsunami's the epicenter wasn't on land and therefore there wasn't that much serious building damage by the actual quake itself
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

PPGMD

Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:46 am

Not only that, but Jeb's state, recently underwent a major disaster it elf with 4 hurricanes striking the state. So would say Jeb has some experience dealing with disasters, considering many of the problems are the same, just on a smaller scale.
At worst, you screw up and die.

ren41

Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:46 am

He had to bring the Clintons into the conversation

You criticize Maverick for mentioning the Clintons....hmmm

100% of your posts mention Bush

Obsession.

jaysit

Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:51 am

Which, as you should know, developed as a result of the "typical LeftyLeft" wing response: to immediately pine for the Clinton/Gore era in each and every reference to a policy decision made by Bush/Cheney.

Who knows what parallel universe you inhabit?

Even today, 4 years after Clinton left office, right wingers respond to any criticism by evoking the Clinton record. Virtually every rightwing blog-site blames all of humanity's ills on Clinton. It's like they can't get over the Clinton years - the blind hatred for everything that Clinton stood for - from his attempts to revoke the ban against gays in the military to his economic successes. Look at how liberals felt viz a viz Bush in the early years of his presidency and you will see a different picture -- poll after poll showed that a majority of libs were willing to give Bush a chance, and that he enjoyed great support after 9-11. In contrast, all we heard from the right wing during the Clinton years was vituperative gunk. They were busy going into a fit even as Clinton managed to pare down the budget deficit and rein in spending - stuff that a good conservative should have been doing.

Give your revisionist historical comic book a rest, I say.

rsmith6621a
Topic Author

Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:53 am

Ren41
"You criticize Maverick for mentioning the Clintons....hmmm
100% of your posts mention Bush"

Bush is the current President.....but most of the righties still blame Clinton for Georges mistakes......

dl021

Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:57 am

I would echo those who mention that Jeb Bush runs the state with one of the largest economies in the US, and he has much recent experience with natural disasters (albeit where people had warning to get out of the path of destruction) as well as government response in recovery and rebuilding which makes him the most likely governor to be sent.

I would also say that Jaysit may have a point there in saying that the US may be trying to show respect to the local governments and people by sending not only his official representative, but a brother who will represent President Bush's personal concerns in a meaningful way, especially in that region.

What really needs to be said is that rsmith needs to give the political bashing of the Bush administration a rest where the aid efforts are concerned. The response of this administration has not only been correct but above the call. We are forming a core group of nations and organizations for long term assistance, and sending our most important diplomat to personally help start this process.

Your desire to hurt the Bush's leads you to make silly pronoiuncements and ignore reality. You also might want to update your signature line. It, like your rants, seems a little tired and useless.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

ConcordeBoy

They were busy going into a fit even as Clinton managed to pare down the budget deficit and rein in spending

...in the WORST possible department/arm of the federal budget to do so, hell, it could be argued that that's one of the primary reasons we're dealing with half the crap we're facing today.

Give your revisionist historical comic book a rest, I say.

Based on that response (not to mention basic spelling  Nuts), you hardly have room to criticize anything as "comical" m'friend  Laugh out loud

StowAway

RSmith's posts sound like Charlie Brown's teacher to me now.  Smile
A monkey's ass always talks crap.

jaysit

Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:58 am

It is interesting to see Colin Powell's performance during this international crisis. Shorn of the yoke of being forced to toe the lies of the White House neo-cons, he comes off as a true statesman. Powell must be relieved that he no longer has to come up with corn-ball justifications for the Dubya/Wolfowitz-led fiasco in Iraq, and can throw the weight of his stature behind a truly noble purpose.

jaysit

Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:14 am

...in the WORST possible department/arm of the federal budget to do so, hell, it could be argued that that's one of the primary reasons we're dealing with half the crap we're facing today

Clueless as ever, you are.
The budget deficit cuts were achieved by huge social cuts and by the massive economic expansion of the 90s. As far as military spending goes, it was the highest its ever been in overall dollar amounts in 1996 (even with inflation) but the smallest as a share of the overall budget. The reduction of military budgets were heralded as early as 1989 as a responsible reaction to runaway military expansions in the 80s. Much of Bush 41's years and the early Clinton years were a crafted trim on spending of all kinds.

Neither you nor any of your friend can prove how military budget cuts between 1990 and 1996 led to the foolish war of lies and deceit in Iraq.

Based on that response (not to mention basic spelling ), you hardly have room to criticize anything as "comical" m'friend

I don't know what they teach you in your ignorant backwater, but it appears the basic R's are not your forte. The next time you accuse someone of spelling mistakes, I suggest you try that very basic of internet tools: MS Word Spelling and Grammar. It's free; it's easy.

ConcordeBoy

Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:14 am

Clearly you can see the intellegence in Pres. Clintons eyes.

Sh'yeah right, that pose could just as well be from a Preparation H commercial  Laugh out loud

jaysit

Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:23 am

I would echo those who mention that Jeb Bush runs the state with one of the largest economies in the US, and he has much recent experience with natural disasters (albeit where people had warning to get out of the path of destruction) as well as government response in recovery and rebuilding which makes him the most likely governor to be sent.

It also makes sense to send Jeb Bush, because a crisis of the sort that hit SE Asia could also hit Florida. In fact, Florida is the most vulnerable state in the Union to such a potential disaster. Thus, besides lending the support and prestige of his connections to the White House to the relief efforts in SE Asia, it could also be a learning mission for Jeb Bush. Frankly, only a lot of good can come out of this.

After a slow and embarassing response to this disaster, GWB has now moved quickly to create an excellent political and logistical response.

MaverickM11

Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:46 am

"Maverick just gave the typical RightyRight wing response....."

Not really...just giving the absurd crap back to you with the names changed. For you to throw stones is amazingly hypocritical. I don't really feel strongly one way or another about Clinton; I just saw it as a good opportunity to expose the pile of steaming [email protected] you posted.

"Even today, 4 years after Clinton left office, right wingers respond to any criticism by evoking the Clinton record"

I didn't accuse him of anything--I just made a baseless statement since that's what I thought this whole thread was about.

[Edited 2005-01-03 22:52:19]

MaverickM11

Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:50 am

" His presence there is sure to push lazy governments to ensure that aid is actually delivered, instead of languishing away in warehouses. Clinton can get things done overseas, that other currently elected leaders cannot, by sheer force of personality.
"

Wow. That's quite a baseless statement to make. Nuts Are you sure you're not North Korean and confusing Clinton with Dear Leader? He is also the greatest golfer, singer, writer, and engineer to ever live, speaking of "sheer force of personality" (cult).

[Edited 2005-01-03 22:53:34]

L-188

Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:21 pm

Getting back to the original subject.

I can think of four very good reasons to send Jeb there from this summer alone.

OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

EMBQA

Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:42 pm

Clearly you can see the intellegence in Pres. Clintons eyes

No, that was "Boy that female reporter has a nice rack, I need her phone number....!!!!"
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

Falcon84

Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:53 pm

Rsmith, tell me another Chief Executive alive in this country who has had to deal with natural disasters as much as Jeb Bush has since being in office? The 4 hurricanes in Florida make him as qualified as anyone in the U.S. to assess what's going on and perhaps give advice on trying to move forward.

Listen, I don't like George W. either, but can the guy not make ONE decision without you reaming him for some reason?
Work Right, Fly Hard

Boeing4ever

Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:01 pm

Listen, I don't like George W. either, but can the guy not make ONE decision without you reaming him for some reason?

The answer is....

NO!

Rsmith is your typical political terrorist. Doesn't matter if he's right or left, his only goal is to stir the pot. And anything is fodder in his eyes. Where's that picture of the Obsession bottle?

B4e-Forever New Frontiers

EMBQA

Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:03 pm

And that's FOUR hurricanes this year alone...!! Jeb has been Gov. of FLA for several years and has dealt with more then his share in the past, plus he has lived in Florida for much of his adult life, so I'm sure he is well acquainted with disaster relief.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

lowrider

Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:04 pm

rsmith, who would be your choice to send, and why would that person be a better choice?
Proud OOTSK member

rsmith6621a
Topic Author

Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:17 pm

Lowrider asked......
>rsmith, who would be your choice to send, and why would that person be a better choice?<

Answer
We Have already sent Colin Powell.....why not Senator Bob Graham.....Jeb is not the Govenor of that region....the people of Florida elected him to represent them not the USA in a international crisis.....

I am going to copy and paste each post in this thread and in 3 years those who have said Jeb is not being put out there for a WH run in 2008 will be amazed when you re-read your post and find out my so called Bu$$$hit statements will have come true.....

L-188

Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:19 pm

Ok, I'll bite.

What experience does Graham have in managing disasters and disaster response?

Sounds like the job of a governer.

NWA742

Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:14 pm

why not Senator Bob Graham

Randy, if Bush sent Bob Graham, you would've started a thread bitching at him for not sending somebody with more experience dealing with natural disasters......or something of the sort.

It's always a no-win situation for Bush when it comes to your judgement. No matter what Bush does, it is not good enough for you. You just can't get over yourself and your hatred.

Hell, most of our neighborhood strongwilled lefties have gotten sick of you as well, as you can see with some of the responses. That certainly says something.

At this point, I can only advise you to stop continuing your constant displays of ignorance and idiocy which clearly overcome you. You're just making yourself look more annoying, less credible, and flat dumb to other people.

I don't know why a person would want to do that to themselves.

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

Falcon84

Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:52 pm

is not the Govenor of that region....the people of Florida elected him to represent them not the USA in a international crisis.....

The President of the United States can send whomever he sees fit to do his bidding, Rsmith. Clinton did it on many occasions, as has every other president. Sometimes, it is smart to get another Chief Executive on the ground to look at situations, albeit this one much larger, that he has some experience in personally dealing with and making decisions about.

Graham is a good politician, but he is no Chief Executive, and has never run a large political entity (something that hurt Kerry in the election, btw). Jeb Bush has, and is in a far better position to evaluate than Graham is.
Work Right, Fly Hard

gkirk

Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:16 pm

Give it a rest dude. Are the current US government not allowed to do any good without having an agenda?
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

lowrider

Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:54 am

I have to agree, what has Sen Graham done lately? Give speeches, cast a few votes? When was the last time he has to show any real leadership or judgement? Jeb Bush's experience in dealing with natural disasters is well documented. There is one other item though, that no one seems to have mentioned. Trust. I would be that GW trusts the judgement of him brother over that of Sen Graham. When you are going to look to someone for advice, what could be more important. In that light, the selection of Powell also makes sense. I also differ with yorur characterization of this as an international crisis. A disaster? Yes. A catastrophe? Certainly. A crisis implies that we have some obligation to respond and from the strictly legal standpoint, we don't. Morally and ethically, I think it is vital that we do so. Then again, those ARE dirty words when a conservative uses them, aren't they?

If Bush signed a bill that you authored on any subject, you would still complain that he didn't do it fast enough.
Proud OOTSK member

dl021

Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:08 am

As much as I hate to clarify anything for rsmith, Graham was the governor of FL prior to Bush and was pretty popular. He has CEO experience and disaster management experience.

Now to answer why not Graham? He is NOT the current governor, he does no have the personal cachet of being the president's brother which can covey extra meaning to the people of the region, and he is retiring as Senator. His term is over and he no longer represents any elected post, which reduces his meaning to the situation. I am certain he would be competent as an envoy for this situation, but he is not the best choice.

The best choice was made, and you ought to find something else to cry about for a while because even the liberals are getting tired of it. This thread ought to be allowed to die from neglect as there is little of merit to it.

L-188

Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:56 am

I thought Jeb replaced Lawton Childs who died of a heart attack on a Treadmill shortly after losing to Jeb a few years back.

dl021

Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:32 pm

Graham was governor prior to Chiles (as were Mixson and Martinez and Andrew Jackson for that matter  Big grin ) as well as Bush, actually was elected in 1978. Mackay replaced Chiles when he died, for three weeks until Bush was sworn in. I was pointing out that Graham DID have experience,serving two terms, and would not have been out of place.....

That said, I absolutely support and endorse the decision to send Jeb Bush as the most effective and appropriate envoy in this case.

That and 75 cents will buy you todays copy of USAToday at the local 7-11.

S12PPL

Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:31 pm

Hey, Jeb needs something on his resume in 2008 other than, "Helped brother steal 2000 election". Sorry...hehehe. I couldn't resist. Smile
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

aa61hvy

Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:17 am

I'm curious as to when RSmith is going to start acting like a man and admit when he's out of line?
Go big or go home

dl021

Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:20 am

Probably the day he decides that starting a new thread every day or so about how the right in America is the root of all evil.