Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

flymia
Topic Author

Miami Named Best City In The World!

Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:43 am

Miami Named Best city in the world? I heard this on local news and I am still searching for any articles on it but cant find anything. Also heard some people talking about too. The only thing I know about it is that it beat out Cities like Buenos Aires, London, and Paris. Not really sure what it beat them out for. I think it is best city in world or something like that. But it is really brothering me that I cant find out anything. Anyone else hear something like this. Post any articles please.

Thanks.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

TWFirst

RE: Miami Named Best City In The World!

Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:48 am

Based on WHAT CRITERIA???
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

flymia
Topic Author

Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:52 am

TWFirst: I dont know. Thats the problem. I been searching for an hour now of every Miami News Source and National and cant find anything. I just heard it on TV last night and this mourning and heard people talking about it so I was wondering if anyone else knows?
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

OYRJA

Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:53 am

Not long ago I heard that Zürich was the best City in the World.

So I also want to know on what criteria they choosed Miami.

aa61hvy

Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:53 am

It was voted by Elian Gonzales.
Go big or go home

luisde8cd

Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:55 am

Miami is also called the "Capital of Latin America", so maybe that helped it win the prize

flymia
Topic Author

Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:56 am

I am not sure if it best city in the world. Maybe best culture or most diverse. I just know it was somehting best in the world. Who knows maybe worst. But I am pretty sure it was not that. All I trying to figure out is what it was.

CactusA319

Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:36 am

I can think of at least 20 cities that are better than Miami. Maybe it was best party scene in the world? Best city for Cuban food in the world maybe?

aerobalance

Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:38 am

Shaque and his 'bling-bling' crew voted for Miami.
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

pilotaydin

Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:40 am

how come we never get to be part of all these statistics  Smile always other people voting  Big grin
The only time there is too much fuel onboard, is when you're on fire!

MAH4546

Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:43 am

It was named the world's best city by a London-based, upscale magazine called Wallpaper, which is mainly a design magazine. The four runner ups were Buenos Aires, London, Shanghai, and Valencia (Spain).

The main criteria appeared to be design, "exictment", and urban feel.

It's all subjective, it's a nice award, but it's not a big deal.

Herald blurb...
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/10551552.htm

Wallpaper blurb...
http://www.wallpaper.com/travel/514

[Edited 2005-01-04 21:47:16]
a.

Thumper

Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:57 am

I live in Fort Lauderdale and go to Miami often.What in Gods name would Miami be voted best in the world for? If you like living in a house with bars around every window? If you like a city ramped in crime and drugs? If you like a city that doesn't speak English? Most people are trying to get out of Miami as fast as they can!

Springbok747

Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:29 am

Huh?! I thought Sydney was the best city in the world.
אני תומך בישראל

MAH4546

Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:57 am

I live in Fort Lauderdale and go to Miami often.What in Gods name would Miami be voted best in the world for? If you like living in a house with bars around every window? If you like a city ramped in crime and drugs? If you like a city that doesn't speak English? Most people are trying to get out of Miami as fast as they can!

Typical Broward resident trash talking. Not just exclusive to Miami/Fort Lauderdale either. It's common everywhere (New York City/Westchester, Los Angeles/Orange County, etc., etc.), where those that live in suburban areas just love to boast about how much "better" they are than their nearby urban centre because they "don't" have any problems and live in a such a "perfect", sprawl-filled world.

Seriously, get real. Trying to get out of Maimi as fast as they can? Does that explain why Miami-Dade currently has one of the country's healthiest and most in-demand real estate markets?

[Edited 2005-01-05 00:24:32]
a.

flymia
Topic Author

Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:04 am

OKay I did not think it was anything huge. But that's a nice award to receive. Nice to see Miami getting some international publicity .

Thumper: Most areas are not dangerous crime areas. And during the day everything is safe . And yea Miami does have a good amount of crime and drugs but it is dropping and just like any other major city it will have those problems. Its not the 80's and early 90's anymore Miami has changed. And yes the majority of the people speak Spanish as their native language, but most speak English as well. I am glad Miami has such a Latin influence or else it would be just like every other city in the US, it would not even be as large or as important of a city as it is today. It makes Miami the most cultured city in the United States. And I don't know how Miami real state market is one of the largest in the United States if everyone is moving out. Some the the native Floridians or Americans might be moving out but everyone else in the world is moving in.

[Edited 2005-01-05 03:04:48]

N766UA

Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:41 pm

The world is alot worse off than I thought if Miami is the best we as humans have to offer....

flymia
Topic Author

Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:06 pm

This is an International Magazine and Miami is more South American or European than it will ever be American. Miami is considered a world class city to many. I also surprised by this acknowlegement in this magazine as Miami is the best place in the world to visit I think it said. There are plenty of other Cities that I thought would be known as better places to be London Sydney are the first two to come to mind. But Miami is there in the top ten.

EZEIZA

Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:07 pm

I lived in Boca Raton for a few years and used to go to Miami often. Having visited many cities worldwide in my opinion Miami is no where close to being the best city in the world, although it is a nice place, with nice beaches and with an ok nightlife. The nicest cities I've been are Amsterdam, Zurich and Paris, but I would not like to live in any of them. Coming to think of it, that's what I feel about Miami, great to visit, but not too nice to live. Oh, and by the way, I absolutely hated boca raton!
Carp aunque ganes o pierdas ...

Thumper

Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:23 pm

"Typical Broward resident trash talking. Not just exclusive to Miami/Fort Lauderdale either. It's common everywhere (New York City/Westchester, Los Angeles/Orange County, etc., etc.), where those that live in suburban areas just love to boast about how much "better" they are than their nearby urban centre because they "don't" have any problems and live in a such a "perfect", sprawl-filled world" Fort Lauderdale is a suburban area huh? O.K. I'm glad you know what your talking about. The topic was, Miami the Best City in the World, not suburban Fort Lauderdale! Miami is FAR,FAR from being the best city in the world!

MxCtrlr

Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:25 pm

I was born and raised in a suburb of Miami and I'm glad ever single day that I moved out in 1997! Miami is a pest hole and Miami-Dade County is one of the most corrupt, back-world political groups ever assembled in any US-based government! The fact that some Brit magazine thinks it is the best city in the world, shows how little research they really did. The downtown Miami area is a crime-ridden slum, the parking is a mess there, the government is a mess there and the traffic on any major roadway during the day is atrocious!

MxCtrlr  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Freight Dogs Anonymous - O.O.T.S.K.  Smokin cool
DAMN! This SUCKS! I just had to go to the next higher age bracket in my profile! :-(

ZKSUJ

Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:14 pm

I know that based on lyfestyle, Auckland is ranked in the top 10 in the world.

chrisrad

Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:43 pm

Well Melbourne, Australia has won " Worlds Most liveable city" many times...
Welcome aboard Malaysia Airlines! Winner of Best Cabin Staff 2001,2002,2003,2004,2007,2009,2012

flymia
Topic Author

Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:12 am

MxCtrlr: I guess you have not been to Miami since 1997 than. The downtown area is not a slum anymore and the crime might be one of the safest areas in the city. The real state in the Downtown area is the highest in the county really one of the largest booming real state areas in the whole country. If its such a slum why does everyone want to live in downtown now.

RT514

Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:48 am

Oh yeah, I heard about this contest.

They were judging cities on the east coast of Florida with 5 letters in their name and located at about 80 degrees west longitutde. Apparently Miami kicked butt in this one.

MAH4546

Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:14 am

The fact that some Brit magazine thinks it is the best city in the world, shows how little research they really did. The downtown Miami area is a crime-ridden slum,

The fact that you would say that shows how little research you did...Miami's urban core is one of the safest in the United States, and has the second lowest downtown crime rate of any downtown in the Southern United States, after Greensboro, N.C.
a.

luv2fly

Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:28 am

Say what you want about Miami, it is my least favorite place......
You can cut the irony with a knife

daedaeg

Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:39 am

If you dont like Miami so what...why hate on it?
Everyday you're alive is a good day.

CactusA319

Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:10 am

If its such a slum why does everyone want to live in downtown now.

Oh I don't know, cuz the rest of the city sucks?

Most major US cities are seeing a revitilazation of their downtown areas, as it has become hip to live downtown or near the city center in a rehabed, gentrified neighborhood with lots of nice new condos and a Starbucks on every corner. Miami is no different, except maybe that 80% of people living there are fully bilingual. The whole "there's no crime in our downtown" argument can be made about a lot of cities nowadays.

na

Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:19 am

It must have changed completely then since I´ve been there in 98. I can tell you 10 cities I like more, in ten seconds.
Florida in general was the worst place I´ve seen in the US. In fact the only place in the US besides rural Ohio where I immiadetely thought I don´t need to see that again soon. My holiday there was one of the worst ever.

The only nice thing I saw there was the impressive, unequalled line-up of cruiseships. All other attractions you can find there are better elsewhere.

OB1504

Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:58 am

This must also explain why apartments are selling for $300,000.00 in some parts.

It must have changed completely then since I´ve been there in 98. I can tell you 10 cities I like more, in ten seconds.

It has changed since '98. It's a completely new city. There's still some corruption, but we've learned to deal with it.

Oh I don't know, cuz the rest of the city sucks?

Most major US cities are seeing a revitilazation of their downtown areas, as it has become hip to live downtown or near the city center in a rehabed, gentrified neighborhood with lots of nice new condos and a Starbucks on every corner. Miami is no different, except maybe that 80% of people living there are fully bilingual. The whole "there's no crime in our downtown" argument can be made about a lot of cities nowadays.

Where exactly is it that all of these Miami-haters have been anyway? The rest of the city sucks? What about towns like Miami Lakes? What about Coral Gables? What about Kendall?

flymia
Topic Author

Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:22 am

OB1504: I not sure but I guess Miami is just a city that is loved or Hated. And looks like more people hate it on this fourm. But when ever I tell someone I live in Miami most of the time they say that cool or lucky you, that must be great.

keesje

Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:46 am

Last time a read a serious survey on best place to live, Vancouver came out. I think it was a reliable worldwide survey.

Some links referring to the same kind of research
http://www.google.nl/search?hl=nl&q=vancouver+world+best&lr=

I visited a few times & found it pretty much ok. admosphere, climat, nature, cultural diversity, safety.. I think everybody was was there wil agree..

Miami seems a hot & dangerous place to me..

"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

AC320

Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:44 am

Guess the Wallpaper judges didn't take a drive through the Golden Glades interchange....
fuddle duddle

OB1504

Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:53 am

Guess the Wallpaper judges didn't take a drive through the Golden Glades interchange....

Maybe when they didn't come back they thought that they had liked Miami so much that they'd moved there and weren't coming back...  Nuts

MAH4546

Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:43 am

Considering Miami is a pretty urban city, in which roughly 1.5M people live within 10 miles of the city's core, that argument can't be made here.

[Edited 2005-01-05 23:44:17]
a.

Springbok747

Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:56 am

Well if you see this website:

http://www.travelandleisure.com/worldsbest/results.cfm?cat=cities

They rate Sydney to be the best. But I guess it all depends on how this survey is conducted.
אני תומך בישראל

airplay

Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:12 am

I've been to Miami on business and based on my visit, I consider it a major crap-hole. I would not consider Miami as a vacation destination.

flymia
Topic Author

Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:50 am

Keesje: Yea I been to vancouver before and it is a great city.

Airplay: What are the reasons for MIA being so bad? What did you see and when did you go?

slider

Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:59 pm

If Miami is the "best city" in the world, then Gary, Indiana, El Paso, Texas, and Barstow, California have their 15 minutes of fame coming up soon.

CactusA319

Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:24 pm

Don't get me wrong, I don't necesarily hate Miami. It has its nice spots (South Beach and the like) but like many major cities it has its shitty parts as well. That said my last two visits to the city have left a bad taste in my mouth, so I can't say its among my favorites. Now if you live in the city and love it, more power to ya. I just think its far from being the best city in the world in a total sense, not just based on pretty architecture.

flymia
Topic Author

Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:26 am

"not just based on pretty architecture"
It might have been somewhat bases on architecture since it is a design magazine but if it was based on architecture Miami would have not been in the top 25 I think. Paris London Buenos Aires Washington DC NYC Madrid Sydney all have much nicer architecture than Miami will ever have.

"If Miami is the "best city" in the world, then Gary, Indiana, El Paso, Texas, and Barstow, California have their 15 minutes of fame coming up soon"
Miami is nothing like Gary Indiana or El Paso. They might as well be opposites. I never heard of Barstow.

komododx

Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:36 pm

I guess it all depends on the point of view... If you're in Hiahleah, ugh... Now if you're at Nikki's in South Beach on a Sunday night at 2am enjoying a vodka and red bull... Well, let me tell you, that's a whole 'nother experience! http://www.nikkibeach.com

K
I'm homeless and unemployed

Qantasflyer

Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:24 pm

I cant remember in which survey but apparently Sydney had been voted as the worlds best city for the past 8 years, while Melbourne had been named worlds most liveable city and worlds safest city by the United Nations.

Regards
Qantasflyer That's the spirit. The Spirit of Australia!

MAH4546

Sat Jan 08, 2005 2:06 am

"not just based on pretty architecture"
It might have been somewhat bases on architecture since it is a design magazine but if it was based on architecture Miami would have not been in the top 25 I think.

Architecture was one of the biggest factors in this award. It is a design magazine. Miami is well known for it's art deco and MiMo (Miami Modernism) architecture and is considered one of the world's best cities for modern minimalist design that is found in many of the city's newer buildings. It is a totally different style than the likes of Buenos Aires or Paris.
a.

photopilot

Sat Jan 08, 2005 2:22 am

MAH4546

Sat Jan 08, 2005 6:22 am

Here's a selection of Best OF stories... and Miami doesn't rate.

Miami doesn't rate? In one of them, Miami ranked first. In another one, Miami ranked 8th while neighbour Fort Lauderdale ranked 4th. Did you not even pay attention to what you posted?

Guess the whole thing is a fantasy of the PR folks for the City of Miami.

It is not a fantasy, Miami won the award in Wallpaper magazine, it's a fact.

Is it anything more than just some PR? No, that's all it is. Good PR. That's what every single one of these awards are. There are a good 10-15 "Best Cities of the World" surveys done every year, and every single one of them as a different winner...Geneva, Sydney, Vancouver, Miami, London, New York City, etc., etc.. It is nothing but PR. Though it is pretty pathetic how others just insist that a survey is "wrong" because they don't agree with it. It is a stupid award, get over it people.
a.