Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Sabena332
Topic Author

Mandarin Oriental Hotels, Anyone Stayed There?

Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:32 am

Hi all,

Has anyone ever stayed in a Mandarin Oriental hotel? I saw on their website that they do not have many hotels but that all of them are looking very luxurious.

I just checked some fares just for fun, first I got a shock when I saw that they want 471 USD for a night in their hotel in New York but then I was surprised when I saw that they already offer a room incl. 24 hour internet broadband flatrate for 157 USD in Singapore (which is absolute ok for such a hotel).

Has anyone ever stayed in a Mandarin Oriental hotel? How was it? Are these hotels really as luxurious as it looks on their website or are they like the other "upper class" hotel chains like Sheraton or Hilton?

Any feedback is welcome!

Patrick

Edit: I just browsed a bit on their site and I must say that all hotels are incredible stylish, be it the interior, the locations, the restaurants, etc. I am impressed!

[Edited 2005-01-11 21:54:26]
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

Regis

RE: Mandarin Oriental Hotels, Anyone Stayed There?

Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:33 am

Visit www.flyertalk.com and search the luxury hotels forum. You will find everything you want to know about Mandarin Oriental hotels and more.

Mandarin Oriental hotels are at the very top end of hotel chains, right up there with the likes of Peninsula, Four Seasons and Ritz-Carlton (although some put the latter in a slightly lower category).

One thing to keep in mind though is that the quality of accommodations and service varies considerably from property to property. These luxury hotels may all belong to the same chain but they are usually independently owned and operated. So the experience you have at the Mandarin Oriental in New York may differ considerably from that of the Mandarin Oriental in Geneva, which may sometimes be even worse than that of lower chains like Hilton and Marriott (e.g.: I live in Geneva and, in my opinion, the Hilton property here is superior to the that of the Mandarin Oriental). So when it comes to luxury hotels, it pays to research the properties individually and not blindly trust a chain.

USD 157 for a Mandarin Oriental room in Singapore may seem a bargain to you but remember that Asia is probably the cheapest region on earth as far as hotel prices are concerned. Most five star places there charge around that price.

aa61hvy

Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:09 am

No kidding Regis. Pre-Tsunami I was just looking around Phuket/Phi Phi Koh hotels the most expensive ones were only $120.
Go big or go home

STT757

Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:41 am

I haven't stayed there but I've been to the spa and bar at the new Mandarin Orient hotel at the time Warner Center in NYC, one world LAVISH!

The hotel lobby is on the 35th floor of the Time Warner Center, great bar with spectacular views of Central Park South.

The Time Warner Center is two twin skyscrapers which houses..

The Shops at Columbus Circle

http://www.wirednewyork.com/aol/shops_columbus_circle.htm

Mandarin Orient Hotel

http://www.wirednewyork.com/hotels/mandarin_oriental/default.htm

And private residences, scroll down the page of this link for some nice exterior photos of the Time Warner Center and an interesting article on it's famous (or infamous) residents.

http://forums.wirednewyork.com/viewtopic.php?t=894&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=180

[Edited 2005-01-11 23:45:40]
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

fbgdavidson

Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:49 am

The MO in New York is superb. A friend of mine stayed there over the summer and got a night free thanks to Amex Centurion deal, a lot of FTers stay at MOs because of this.

Here is his photo album of the http://tinyurl.com/64ekt
I should have taken some of the MO in Knightsbrdge when I was there recently had I known an interest
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

Sabena332
Topic Author

Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:55 am

Thanks for the feedback, guys!

Regis, thanks for the tip! I will certainly take a look at flyertalk.com. Thanks also for the additional information about Mandarin Oriental.

Ryan, correct, Thailand is incredible cheap when it comes to luxury hotels and resorts, unfortunately will it last a while until they rebuild everything and we can travel to Phi Phi or Phuket again  Sad.

STT757, thanks for the links. I just browsed on the site of the Mandarin Oriental Central Park and I completely agree with you, this is just stunning! The lobby bar, all rooms, and even the swimming pool offer a breathtaking view on the Manhattan skyline, allone this view is 471 USD worth.

Well, I should begin to save money now, maybe then I can afford a two day stay there in the pre-Christmas time Big grin. Their hotel in Singapore however looks good for a short stay the summer.

Patrick

Fbgdavidson, thanks also to you for the reply and the link.

[Edited 2005-01-11 23:57:07]
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

airways1

Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:41 pm

I've stayed in the Mandarin Oriental in Jakarta. It certainly is one of the better hotels I've stayed in, with with large, clean, well-decorated rooms. In fact, it was a welcome oasis of cleanliness after walking around the polluted streets of Jakarta. I cannot compare with the Sheraton or Hilton as I don't think I have stayed in either of these two chains.

Airbus Lover

Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:19 pm

Mandarin Oriental in Kuala Lumpur is also quite amazing and yet charges very reasonable rate on an international world class city class.

CaptOveur

Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:49 pm

Not only have I stayed there, I am there right now, too bad my 14yr old butt is supposed to be in school. It is a great hotel, but there is a place down the street I stayed at last time I was here that I liked better.

Signed,
AAplatnumflier
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

Ready4Pushback

Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:53 pm

Airbus Lover:

My dad used to travel alot for work and his company would put us in some of the world's most amazing hotels in the US and Asia. At the start of last year I had a trip to Australia with a 2-night stay in the MO in KL, and I can quite honestly say it was the most amazing hotel I have ever stayed in. It was beautiful, and the service was just great. If you walk into the lobby, and walk straight through to the lounge for a drink it was a fantastic atmosphere. I would go back to KL just for the hotel - and it was a beautiful city!

Gary

keno

Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:35 am

Mandarin Oriental Kuala Lumpur certainly has one the best views of the world's tallest twin towers. It has always been considered to be THE place to stay in town for businessmen and tourists alike.

dl021

Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:37 am

Patrick,

I recommend the MO to you. I have stayed at the one in San Francisco and their amenities, service, and accomodations are all top flight.

Their prices are not out of line for what they offer, and it is probably in the same range as the nicer GW Marriotts and Grand Hyatts with the feeling you get from a smaller group that works hard to keep repeat business by giving you a feeling of exclusivity with plenty of attention..

Have a nice trip. Let me know if you come thru ATL.

Ian
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

Sabena332
Topic Author

Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:15 am

Hey, thanks for bumping this thread up  Big grin. Ian, thanks also for sending me a PM, otherwise I had never noticed that the thread has been bumped back to the first page!

I just came back from a spontaneous trip to Antarctica... errrrrr I mean New York Big grin. Lufthansa had an incredible cheap fare so my girlfriend and I took advantage of it. We didn't stay at the Mandarin Oriental due to the lack of money but we got a cheap deal for the Howard Johnson Plaza via Priceline.com.

Actually I wanted to visit the MO for dinner or for a drink but somehow we decided to spend the Saturday evening in another bar.

By the way, I have a nice cold now because I had to go outside for smoking. Thanks to the State of New York for the great anti-smoke law in bars  Yeah sure.

Patrick

dl021

Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:39 am

Hey, Patrick, glad you guys had a good time. I actually recommend to my friends who go and want to spend little to stay in the downtown Comfort Inn. It is nice, well situated, and way less than everything else.

oh, and smoking stunts your growth....you should stop.  Big grin

iakobos

Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:54 am

so my girlfriend and I
glad you guys had a good time

I am puzzled... besides the fact that Patrick's gf could have been an earlier male, and that's his right of course, why do you use "guys" when you address a couple made of persons of (apparent) different genders ?

Does classical English have a void here or am I wrong to believe that "guys" does only refer to males ?

Careful with the answer....I have something ready in store starting with DISC.

Big grin

dl021

Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:02 am

In current American colloquial slang the term "guys" can be used to describe men or women. It is a flexible term, in common use.

Remember that our slang is less encumbered by grammatical structure. The Romance and Germanic languages make great use of masculine, feminine and neutral tenses, where as English, and its American relative (distant cousin as my British friends like to say) do not prevent us from modifying some words.

So, yeah, "those guys" can refer to an intergendered group.