Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Jalto27R
Topic Author

Army Commander: Media Has Distorted Iraq

Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:01 am

http://www.worldtribune.com/worldtribune/05/breaking2453389.0680555557.html

"Media's coverage has distorted world's view of Iraqi reality"

A different point of view, for a change. How about it? What are your thoughts?

Mike

pilotaydin

RE: Army Commander: Media Has Distorted Iraq

Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:13 am

when HASNT media coverage distorted or set an agenda?
The only time there is too much fuel onboard, is when you're on fire!

ANCFlyer

Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:20 am

Well . . . let me just say this: I TOLD YOU SO!

Ok, let hear the naysayers . . . lets hear the same old lines . . . . Insane

FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

ATWZW170

Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:30 am

This is always the way it is going to be...the government wants us to think one way, the media shows the exact opposite, who do you believe? I believe more of the media.
Success is getting what you want...happiness is liking what you get

Confuscius

Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:35 am

What's the commander's name? Gen. Westmoreland?!?

Beware of the light at the end of the tunnel...
Ain't I a stinker?

Falcon84

Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:38 am

Yes, Jalto, we know Iraq is a WONDERFUL place. Take your family there on vacation!! It's a paradise! Everyone is safe, healthy and eager to be free!

Jalto, stop being a shill for the military. Your lips are getting awfully brown, justifying the deaths of a hundred thousand Iraqi's ,and 1500-plus Americans.
Work Right, Fly Hard

ANCFlyer

Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:45 am

Falcon . . .

The deaths of nearly 1500 troops is quite tragic . . . but I submit the point of the thread is not those deaths, rather the way our 'fair and balanced' media has portrayed things there.

What say you that point, my friend?

I tell ya - when it comes to the media, believe half of what you see and less of what you hear. If it isn't bloody bad news, it's not going to be news at all.

FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

futureualpilot

Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:50 am

Falcon, relax, he is presenting a different point of view....one that I would say is more credible than any news source. Its no reason to jump all over him like you did me when I brought up what the USMC Major said when he talked to us.

As for the original post, I'd just have to say well duh, who honestly thinks the media is giving a 100% balanced, unbiased view of the ongoings over there?

[Edited 2005-01-18 23:08:24]

[Edited 2005-01-18 23:11:49]
Life is better when you surf.

jamesag96

Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:06 am

"justifying the deaths of a hundred thousand Iraqi's ,and 1500-plus Americans."

WOW...when did those numbers get published? I had no idea. Was it the same people that published the 3 mil, no 2.5, wait a second, 2, eh, actually more like 1.6, ok seriously, it's 800K, oh, alright, Bush lost 14 jobs during his Presidency and ALL of them went overseas.

Laughable.

Is anyone really surpised by this soldies take? I am not, and nor do I profess that Iraq is without problems, but to hear it from him, along with numerous others that have come back and shared, as well as several corresponding from Iraq...it is different than what I am hearing/seeing on the news.
Why Kate, You're not wearing a bustle. How lewd.

WellHung

Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:16 am

So you post a news source that distorts the Iraq situation in an attempt to prove that the Iraq situation is distorted?

keesje

Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:25 am

I heard the media in Iraq doesn´t dare to get out of the hotels anymore & the Army doesn´t feel bad about that.

If the media had not registrated some things they simply won´t have happend would they?

Sad

nah we need the media badly, although we know they often telll half the truth.. but the same goes for the official announcements, always saying it is isolated incidents that have been taken care of..

Sad

"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

mbmbos

Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:26 am

Ah, the old "liberal media" myth.

Yep, the right wing owns all three branches of government and still can't take responsibility for their actions. They've always portrayed themselves as victims of the liberals. So, what's left except blaming it on the "liberal media?"

What phony baloney!

"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke

Jalto27R
Topic Author

Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:42 am

Falcon, in no way am I making Iraq look to be in a 100% shape situation, and neither does this soldier. Stop distorting my words.

AGC525

Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:05 am

Personally everyone I've talked to who's been over there will agree the media has things all distorted. All they talk about is bombings, but never the 1000 more things that are good everyday over there.

What doesn't the media screw up?
American Aviation: From Kitty Hawk to the Moon in 66 years!

NWA742

Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:03 am

the deaths of a hundred thousand Iraqi's

100,000 Iraqis Alphie? Don't you mean 100,000+ Iraqi ENEMY SOLDIERS?  Insane

As far as innocent Iraqi civilian deaths caused by the war, I've never seen ANY figures higher than 15K, not 100K.

Of course, there has been an unspeakable amount of civilian deaths.........that's called war Alphie. Most of the civilian deaths are probably the result of the actions of the enemy, and not ours. Don't you ever doubt for a second the fact that our military makes every effort possible to prevent civilian deaths.

Also, have you ever considered how many innocent Iraqis were dieing under Saddam? I assure it was a MUCH higher number than the Iraqi civilians dieing under our control.

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

dan-air

Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:45 pm

Hey, did we find any WMD in Iraq yet? You remember WMD right? Mushroom clouds, yellowcake? Has any turned up yet? Or is the media hiding that story too?

Nearly 1400 american dead, 10,000 maimed. For what?

DC10GUY

Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:39 pm

What would we do if an army invaded the US. ??? Would the people that fought the invaders be "terrorists" ??? Iraqis did not ask us to invaded them. We are their for reasons no one really knows. ( Most Iraqis know why For their oil ) We don't know who we are fighting. And you know what ??? It ain't the medias fault. War crimes trials should be held to prosecute Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, Rice to name a few. Their greed has brought a nightmare that will take the US decades to resolve.
Next time try the old "dirty Sanchez" She'll love it !!!

tbar220

Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:23 pm

but never the 1000 more things that are good everyday over there.

Oh really? As far as I've heard, approximately 2% of the designated reconstruction funds have been actually used...
NO URLS in signature

jamesag96

Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:29 pm

Hey DC...how much are you payin for gas these days?

DfwRevolution

Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:40 pm

Most Iraqis know why For their oil

Yes because oil is at an all time low. Thank allaha for that free flowing Iraqi oil  Nuts

Yep, the right wing owns all three branches of government and still can't take responsibility for their actions. They've always portrayed themselves as victims of the liberals. So, what's left except blaming it on the "liberal media?"

The only non-biased media source in the world is probably Google media. The second a producer or editor must decide what news clips to show or admit, a bias exist to some degree. It doesn't even have to involve personal beliefs or politics... look at the tsunami.

Yes it was a natural disaster on a massive scale, but world wide there were 22 million refugees in the world before the tsunami. 38 million people are currently HIV positive, and 14,000 new people are infected each day. Yet, this slow and constant suffering/death does not attract the media attention (and thus public awareness) a sudden catastrophic disaster does.

If the media covered the tsunami the way they cover HIV/AIDS in sub-Sahara Africa, would any massive public donations be taking place? Can we even be sure that the media would have given this much attention if the affected areas weren't resort destinations frequented by westerners?

Bias isn't just political... whenever you must prioritize which story to cover, it exist to some extent...
I have a three post per topic limit. You're welcome to have the last word.

DC10GUY

Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:14 pm

Holy crap NWA742, You are totally brain washed dude. Listen to yourself. If Dubya shit on your head you would tell everyone on A.net how great it smelled. Wake up. The elections over no need to lie anymore.
Next time try the old "dirty Sanchez" She'll love it !!!

CaptOveur

Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:28 am

It depends.. If Kerry were elected and another country invaded to liberate us I would be happy to see them and try to help them in any way possible Big grin
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

Jalto27R
Topic Author

Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:33 am

What would we do if an army invaded the US. ??? Would the people that fought the invaders be "terrorists" ??? Iraqis did not ask us to invaded them. We are their for reasons no one really knows.

The CIA has been hours away from letting revolutions take place, but Clinton has bailed every time, and you're gonna tell me the Iraqi's didn't ask us to liberate them? "Oh damn here comes america; how dare they stop Saddam from killing my family!"

NWA742

Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:00 am

If Dubya shit on your head you would tell everyone on A.net how great it smelled.

Dc10guy, there's a greater chance that George will come to my house and shit on my head than there is of any intelligent statement coming out of your mouth.

Wake up. The elections over no need to lie anymore.

Point out the lies in my post.........let's see 'em.

You are totally brain washed dude.

Wait a minute, this.............coming from.............Dc10guy?

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

jamesag96

Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:13 am

He still hasn't told us how much he is paying for gas...you know...since this was all about oil.

StowAway

Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:39 am

Oh really? As far as I've heard, approximately 2% of the designated reconstruction funds have been actually used...

Oh really? Where did you hear that from? Link me to a news story, please.

Dc10guy, there's a greater chance that George will come to my house and shit on my head than there is of any intelligent statement coming out of your mouth.

NWA742, Brilliant.

I still ask the same question. People constantly point out how bad Iraq is. It is, but why do you get so offended when somebody points out the good things? What is wrong with that? Yes, the media is distorting Iraq. I would wager that the coverage is 90% bad, and 10% good. How is that balanced?
A monkey's ass always talks crap.

ANCFlyer

Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:44 am

NWA742: there's a greater chance that George will come to my house and shit on my head than there is of any intelligent statement coming out of your mouth.

Stowaway: NWA742, Brilliant.

Was kinda cool huh!  Smokin cool

jaysit

Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:30 am

I'm sure this guy's perspective should be taken into account, but he is wrong when he says that the press did not report on Margaret Hassan's murder. For days, that was all the press reported. It is bizarre that he thinks that the depraved Islamo-fascists are getting an easy ride, because they are not.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

Jalto27R
Topic Author

Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:46 am

Jaysit,

When's the last time you've heard a story like "American soldiers take out 20 insurgents with no casualties" or "Iraqi police arrest 50 suspected insurgents in raid today". They are getting off easy, he really has a good point. It's sad that the media doesn't give the military enough credit for their kills, as much as themselves being killed.

Mike

jaysit

Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:09 am

It's sad that the media doesn't give the military enough credit for their kills, as much as themselves being killed.

Does the news report every day that 40,000 flights were made safely?

No. That is not news.

What is news is when an aircraft crashes killing people on board.

Apply that analogy here. This is war we are reporting on. The press also has to make a call as to what is more important in the grand scheme of things. There must be hundreds of sorties a day where enemy combatants are killed and US forces return home safely.

That having been said, the primary reason why the press reports the deaths of American soldiers is because we in America have a greater stake in the deaths of these men and women. And the reason why the deaths of innocent civilians is reported is because these lives are always held to be at greater risk and ultimate importance than the lives of enemy combatants.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

Jalto27R
Topic Author

Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:10 am

That having been said, the primary reason why the press reports the deaths of American soldiers is because we in America have a greater stake in the deaths of these men and women. And the reason why the deaths of innocent civilians is reported is because these lives are always held to be at greater risk and ultimate importance than the lives of enemy combatants.

If we give such emphasis to the death of our soldiers, and not giving as much importance to the enemy, then why do we give them such credit through our media's style of reporting?

777236ER

Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:15 am

When's the last time you've heard a story like "American soldiers take out 20 insurgents with no casualties" or "Iraqi police arrest 50 suspected insurgents in raid today". They are getting off easy, he really has a good point. It's sad that the media doesn't give the military enough credit for their kills, as much as themselves being killed.

Why should the media give the military ANY credit? Look at the mess Iraq is in now. Does anyone think the elections will be valid at all? The country is very close to a civil war - I think the military needs all the critism it gets.
Your bone's got a little machine

airplay

Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:18 am

Does everyone forget that it is the Bush administration that banned showing caskets with dead American soldiers returing from Iraq? How about the fact that Bush swore that there were WMDs only to finally concede that there were none?

Who exactly is distorting the truth?

Jalto27R
Topic Author

Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:27 am

Does everyone forget that it is the Bush administration that banned showing caskets with dead American soldiers returing from Iraq? How about the fact that Bush swore that there were WMDs only to finally concede that there were none?

Who exactly is distorting the truth?

Distorting the truth? That is out of plain respect, come on now, you're trying to make something out of nothing. That is all in good will. Finally, as not to waste words on WMD's...here..this one's for you;

This will probably be deleted, as I can't seem to get it through everyone's head that Saddam had WMD's.

777236ER

Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:40 am

David Kay said he didn't have weapons of mass destruction! Sorry, but if that's the best you can do, it proves how ridiculous the WMD reason was. Those dead Iraqis could easily have been killed by an American/Iraqi grenade or machine gun, both of which are not weapons of mass destruction.

Saddam Hussein did not have WMD, and wasn't working towards them. Now who's lying?

StowAway

Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:48 am

Why should the media give the military ANY credit? Look at the mess Iraq is in now. Does anyone think the elections will be valid at all? The country is very close to a civil war - I think the military needs all the critism it gets.

So you want them to do good, but not tell about it? I will agree that some upper management of the Military deserves criticism. Don't generalize, though.

Saddam Hussein did not have WMD, and wasn't working towards them. Now who's lying?

Let's replay the scenario one more time.
A. Barrels full of Anthrax belonging to Saddam were found after the first invasion. (My old history teacher was a medic on the scene when they were airlifted out.)

B. Several different agencies are telling you that Saddam has WMD's. (Including Mr. Clinton)

C. Saddam refuses to let UN Inspectors in.

D. Mass graves have been found.

E. Chemical Ali divulges that a program was in place.

You make the call.....

777236ER

Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:58 am

A. Barrels full of Anthrax belonging to Saddam were found after the first invasion. (My old history teacher was a medic on the scene when they were airlifted out.)

Which means NOTHING TEN YEARS ON.

B. Several different agencies are telling you that Saddam has WMD's. (Including Mr. Clinton)

But NOT the UN.

So would the US.

Have been found now, and show evidence of WMD use before the first Gulf War, never after. This was not known before the second war.

Is that the best intelligence came up with? What about all those photos that had "Mosque", "Chemical weapons", "Biological weapons" so clearly marked? What happened to them?

Can't you admit there was a gross failure of intelligence? Or that someone lied? Because those are the only two options.

So you want them to do good, but not tell about it? I will agree that some upper management of the Military deserves criticism. Don't generalize, though.

When the second Gulf War started, did you ever dream the place would be in such a mess? B757300 once smuggly gloated that if WMD weren't found in 6 months he'd leave. Hmm.

StowAway

Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:15 am

First, Yes, I can admit that there WAS a gross failure of intelligence.

When the second Gulf War started, did you ever dream the place would be in such a mess?

Nope, sure didn't. It is definitely a mess. That shouldn't mean we turn a blind eye to the good things. We sure as hell don't need to give up, either.

I would like to remind you of your point in reply #34:

Now look at my reply, again. You contradicted yourself, and diverted.

But NOT the UN.

They were members of the UN. We would be in a lot of trouble if the US was run the way the UN wanted it to.

[Edited 2005-01-20 03:16:55]

777236ER

Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:20 am

Now look at my reply, again. You contradicted yourself, and diverted.

Huh? He WASN'T working towards WMD.

First, Yes, I can admit that there WAS a gross failure of intelligence.

And that's never been admitted by higher levels of the US government.

Nope, sure didn't. It is definitely a mess. That shouldn't mean we turn a blind eye to the good things. We sure as hell don't need to give up, either.

Critisism of the war, reasons for war, and George Bush don't mean we should give up. But ask the world for help, make it CLEAR to the Iraqis you're there as peacekeepers and go to the UN asking for assistance, and everyone will be better off.

StowAway

Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:39 am

We asked the UN for assistance from day one. What was the answer? N-O

The UN is no good. It needs a complete overhaul.

Huh? He WASN'T working towards WMD.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/08/21/sprj.irq.main/index.html

I am going to peg two birds with one stone. That story is about Chemical Ali's past. He had developed weapons that were used to gas masses, and was still an active member of the Saddam regime.

Scroll down in the story. You will see that the UN is helping out in Iraq. Let us not forget that it is a coalition force, and not strictly US led. All those nations who want to help are helping right now. I can assure you France isn't chomping at the bit to help.

jamesag96

Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:57 am

"and wasn't working towards them. Now who's lying?"

Um...yeah he was...and apparently you are.

ANCFlyer

Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:50 pm

Interesting debate between Stowaway and 777236ER. Time for my two cents worth . . .

Which means NOTHING TEN YEARS ON.

Why not - it's a persistent agent, just as deadly now as ten years ago.

But NOT the UN.

Screw the UN, they've got their head up their ass anyway - Kofi's kid's puttnig Oil for Food money in his pocket, surely Kofi's not going to do anything to cut off the kids paycheck . . . useless, outdated organization.

So would the US.

We're not harboring terrorists and gassnig our neighbors either. Moot point.

Have been found now, and show evidence of WMD use before the first Gulf War, never after. This was not known before the second war.

Is that the best intelligence came up with? What about all those photos that had "Mosque", "Chemical weapons", "Biological weapons" so clearly marked? What happened to them?

I'd say that pretty good intel! He's the bum responsible for making it and using it. That's like saying an eyewitness at a murder is insufficient evidence!

Can't you admit there was a gross failure of intelligence? Or that someone lied? Because those are the only two options.

Yes, I've said it before, intel sucked. I don't think anyone lied, but I sure think the intel is beyond questionable.

I'm still baffled by the folks here that see good news from Iraq and immediately discredit that news.

Why can't it simply be accepted that there are good things going on over there as well. Granted there is some really shitty stuff going on too - it's a war, been there done that, I realize it. But there is good.

[Edited 2005-01-20 04:57:10]

DfwRevolution

Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:56 pm

So would the US.

Not true... as part of the START treaties, international inspectors were allowed to verify the destruction of strategic nuclear weapons like B-52s, ICBMS, ect. And if you didn't notice... the US host the U.N.  Insane

Back to the topic at hand, yes the media does have a myopic view of "the here and the now" in Iraq. Like I said in Reply 19, its the sudden, tragic event that in the grand scheme of the world means almost nothing that gains the media attention.

Where's the criticism of foreign policy going back decades into the 1950s? Where's the criticism of other western world nations doing almost nothing to support anti-terrorism measures? Where's the explination of why these events are taking place? Half the U.S. hates France, but no one can tell you why. There are very few quality, in-depth explanations of global events that actually explain why something happened, and news flash, television news are not these outlets.

A car bomb story makes great news, but does little to broaden the public's understanding of the events taking place overseas... the public doesn't understand why insurgents are blowing the crap out of Iraqi civilians and thus wouldn't mind a bit if the Middle East were just carpet bombed into a parking lot. That's scary any way you look at it...

I don’t like playing the “maybe” game, but maybe if media sources put a pair of bifocals on their near-sighted perspective on global events, a war against fundamental terrorism would have been much more productive. Don’t get me wrong, I still believe invading Iraq was the right course of action (if you don’t, fine), but I’m of the opinion, that the media’s utter failure to weigh the magnitude of events leading up to, and during the initial invasion are almost as much to blame as our elected leaders.

We placed our trust in them, and they violated it.

[Edited 2005-01-20 05:00:51]
I have a three post per topic limit. You're welcome to have the last word.

scbriml

Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:45 pm

Nearly 1400 american dead, 10,000 maimed. For what?

Access to cheaper oil?

Yes because oil is at an all time low. Thank allaha for that free flowing Iraqi oil

Ah, there's the rub. You can't get at it yet. Every time the oil starts to flow, someone comes along and blows up the pipeline. With China and India's explosive growth in oil consumption, the rest of the World (but particularly the US) is going to have to get used to much more expensive energy.

Yes, life in Iraq is just so sweet right now - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4186519.stm

Anyone who thinks the election will be anything other than a complete farce is seriously deluded (unfortunately, that includes POTUS).
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

777236ER

Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:53 pm

Um...yeah he was...and apparently you are.

David Kay said he wasn't, I tend to believe him over intelligence which got it so horribly wrong. Are you saying David Kay is lying?

Jalto27R
Topic Author

Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:16 am

Yes, life in Iraq is just so sweet right now - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4186519.stm

You are a perfect example of exactly what DOESN'T GET REPORTED. You are proving, right there, that only that is being told, yet the rest of the story isn't.

LAS757300

Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:30 am

I'm waiting for someone to supply an example of an "under-reported" story. Please, don't say 1000 schools have been painted, that's so 2003.

A lot of this terror problem could have been prevented by striking al Zarqaw prior to the war. We knew where his was (in Kurdish controled N. Iraq) and what he was doing (operating a terrorist training camp). However, taking him out would have made it more difficult for Shrub to convice the American people that war was necessary.
KMSP

Jalto27R
Topic Author

Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:42 am

More recently, a major news agency's website lead read: "Suicide Bomber Kills Six in Baghdad" and "Seven Marines Die in Iraq Clashes." True, yes. Comprehensive, no. Did the author of this article bother to mention that Coalition troops killed 50 or so terrorists while incurring those seven losses? Of course not. Nor was there any mention about the substantial progress these offensive operations continue to achieve in defeating the insurgents. Unfortunately, this sort of incomplete reporting has become the norm for the media, whose poor job of presenting a complete picture of what is going on in Iraq borders on being criminal.

There are plenty more where that came from. Read the article, you'll find it interesting how often the media does it.

LAS757300

Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:56 am

Lol, substantial progress my rear end. We're losing more troops than we were earlier in this war. Reporters and other civilians have to pay big money to get from the Green Zone in central Baghdad to the airport. This administration has so bungled the post war planning we can't secure a 10 mile supply route. Yup, that's progress.

Maybe the New York Times can put Judith "aluminum tubes" Miller on the Iraq beat. She'll give her readers all the pro-war stories they can handle.
KMSP

LAS757300

Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:08 am

Btw, any military historian worth a shit knows that killing more than your enemey can isn't an always an accomplishment.

In Vietnam, for example, the NVA and Vietcong were being killed at an extraordiany rate, far faster than our men were being killed by them. However, the NVA and Vietcong could replenish their ranks with soliders who, like the insurgents in Iraq, were oftentimes fanatical.
KMSP