Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

bruno
Topic Author

Gay Rights Activist Reach New Low

Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:38 am

Some fringe gay rights activist are trying to claim that Abraham Lincoln was gay. Why does it matter and what is the point? This is insulting to President Lincoln's legacy, his family and our country. Even if he was gay, he chose to keep it secret and that should be respected. What is with this sort of irrelevant gossip anyway? It's this sort of useless daytime soap opera drama why many people reject gays at the ballot box when it comes to gay marriage. This sort of useless rumors is consistent with the behavior of gays I've had to deal with in the past on jobs and at school.

Are gays desperatley looking for a hero that's relevant?
I guess Elton John and George Michael aren't good enough I guess.

http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,11735586%255E13762,00.html
I support the women’s movement up and down!

CanadianNorth

RE: Gay Rights Activist Reach New Low

Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:41 am

"This is insulting to President Lincoln's legacy, his family and our country."

So your saying a gay president is insulting???

CanadianNorth
HS-748, like a 747 but better!

rjpieces

Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:42 am

Actually, there appears to be a lot of evidence that he was gay. A book just came out looking and examining all of the evidence. Perhaps you should read it before passing judgement.
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

bruno
Topic Author

Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:44 am

CanadianNorth

No that's not what I am saying. My question is, what is the point in the first place?
Shouldn't there efforts be focused on 'outing' closeted elected officials that use there power to deny gay rights.
Outing a man that's been dead for almost 150 years in pathetic, don't you think?

bruno
Topic Author

Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:45 am

So I guess you read it rj?
Do you believe everything you've read?

skyservice_330

Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:59 am

"This sort of useless rumors is consistent with the behavior of gays I've had to deal with in the past on jobs and at school."

Every gay person you have "had to deal with" has the tendency to create and pass on useless rumours or am I misinterpreting this ... please elaborate.

"Do you believe everything you've read?"

Do you? How do you know that http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,11735586%255E13762,00.html isn't lying to you?

dl021

Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:59 am

THe people that are trying to "out" past historical figures use flimsy circumstancial evidence, tied in with personal correspondences which use period language and terms which are now not only archaic but completely changed.

Any assertion that Abe Lincoln was gay is complete conjecture, and done purely for the machinations of the presenter.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

skyservice_330

Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:03 am

Was the book commissioned by a gay rights group? Was the book paid for by a gay rights group? Was the author paid by a gay rights group? Was it published by a publisher who is historically a gay activist?

From what I can tell it was written by a psychology professor who just happened to be gay. How that = fringe gay activists I don't know.

mbmbos

Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:05 am

"Some fringe gay rights activist are..."

Doesn't sound like gay activists at all. Based on the article and others articles that I have read on the subject, it looks like a professor who published a book. So why make it sound like there's some sort of political agenda afoot? You are taking the action of one person and trying to demonize a group of people with it.
"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke

Jalto27R

Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:19 am

It's insulting because people are deciding what his sex preference is, even after he died. I think the man should be left alone, there's no point to this. It looks like gays are trying to say "see! he was gay." It serves no purpose whatsoever.

aerorobnz

Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:26 am

the point is, that the Gay Rights people shouldn't have to lie/invent information to try and get themselves equal rights. They should be given them automatically as they are honest citizens and entitled to be treated exactly the same as any other individual. If a country can't acknowledge that then they shouldn't be on the 'free country list' posted elsewhere in the forum.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

ConcordeBoy

Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:40 am

Even if he was gay, he chose to keep it secret

...you say that as if he actually had any realistic choice.  Nuts
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

L-188

Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:42 am

THe people that are trying to "out" past historical figures use flimsy circumstancial evidence, tied in with personal correspondences which use period language and terms which are now not only archaic but completely changed.

Spot on.

Add to the fact the late author of this book had an obvious agenda when he wrote it, and isn't around to defend his views.

OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

mbmbos

Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:30 am

"THe people that are trying to..."

Spot on? Once again, "the people" is invoked when ONE PERSON wrote a book.

Let's try to turn this into a gay conspiracy, shall we?

I find this tendency - of taking one person's deeds and saying "the people" or "activists" as a very disturbing manipulation. This is the way that you take one person's actions and attribute it to a group. And once you've attributed something like this to a group, it's oh, so much easier to hate that group.

This is a tried and true recipe for bigotry.
"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke

b757300

Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:30 am

This is really nothing new. Liberal historians and homosexual activists have been trying to claim thousands of famous historical figures were homosexual for the last 20 or so years. Until recently, they've limited themselves to minor historical figures or people from ancient history. Now they're going after famous Americans or famous Christians including Jesus. It is just an attempt by homosexuals and their advocates to rewrite history to suit their agenda. So far they have nothing but superficial evidence, mostly as DL021 pointed out is letters whose style of writing has a different meaning in the modern lexicon than it did 100, 200, 300+ years ago.
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

mbmbos

Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:37 am

Can you cite some specific examples, B757300, or do you just plan to generalize?
- R.M. Rilke

aerorobnz

Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:03 pm

Oh come on B757300, we all know jesus was gay, and palestinian and was the illegitimate son of a deity from an affair his mother had while married to another man...... Laugh out loud
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

Rj111

Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:32 pm

I always thought he was gay and was shot by a Homophobe.

Did you ever see the video to that song "Gay Bar" by electric 6, it was basically making the point that he was gay.

Of course i don't really know or care what tree me liked to bark up.

[Edited 2005-01-19 04:32:25]

MD-90

Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:14 pm

So your saying a gay president is insulting???

Back in his day, if you (falsely or not) publicly accused someone of being a homosexual, you'd be lucky if you weren't shot.

Lincoln couldn't possibly have been gay, in my opinon. There's no way he could've lived with his insufferable wife for that many years if he was.

S12PPL

Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:45 pm

Do you believe everything you've read?

The question is also do you believe everything you read??
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

XNV

Conspiracy Theories

Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:50 pm

Yeah it's all a conspiracy I tell you... I read about this guy who said there were oodles of bad weapons stockpiled in Iraq, and all these people believed him. I heard it was part of some gay conspiracy.

F9Widebody

Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:21 pm

Can you cite some specific examples, B757300, or do you just plan to generalize?

Here is one:

http://www.365gay.com/newscon04/12/122504JesusGay.htm
YES URLS in signature!!!

Superfly

Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:55 pm

Without taking any sides on this, my question is simply WHY ? What is the point of all of this? Outting Lincoln will not help any sort of gay rights laws or issues today. When I frst heard about this, I thought a group of Southern Confederate sympathizers were trying to furthur discredit Lincoln. Mark Leno the state assymbly member from the the East side of San Francisco was on CNN a few days ago talking about this. He brought more unessasary bad attention to our city by wanting to talk more about Rush Limbaugh's drug adiction instead of the topic at hand. This is the sort of foolishness that is running many working class Americans away from the Democratic Party. There is no point to any of this and all it does is give right-wing talk show host and the GOP to say; 'look at what those liberals are up to now'.I am sure FOX news had a ball with this story.I think gay leaders need to spend more time outting people like Senator Lindsey Grahm (R-SC). He is still alive and in power. He is also very right-wing and standing in the way of gay rights even though he is totally in the closet.
Bring back the Concorde

Confuscius

Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:04 pm

...activists have been trying to claim thousands of famous historical figures were homosexual for the last 20 or so years.

Gay, Crossdresser, or both? Nah...  Laugh out loud

[Edited 2005-01-19 07:13:41]
Ain't I a stinker?

Superfly

Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:12 pm

confusious:Good one!  Big thumbs upHow come right-wingers aren't praising that guy anymore?  Big grin
Bring back the Concorde

miamix707

Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:14 pm

Here is one:

Um, nice try, but that's from a gay site supposedly quoting "christian experts" ..that's why I also take with a grain of salt the "proofs" that Lincoln was a homosexual. Seems to me like an attempt to try to make the straight world believe that there have been "great men with morals" that were gay..

The accounts that he had shared a room with a young supposedly good looking guy would have been a better example. We will never know for certain, but in any case it was probably more having to do with being a good samaritan and having someone else to talk to besides his crazy wife. Heck I would have done that too! After a woman, what's the next closest thing if you wanted someone to talk to? A femenine looking type as sensitive as a girl!  Laugh out loud

airplay

Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:00 pm

Why isn't anyone putting any effort into finding out if Jack the Ripper was gay? Or Hitler. Or Genghis Khan.

History presents Lincoln in a very favourable light. Anyone would do well to associate themselves with him or treat him as a role model. The fact that some gays are latching on is not surprising as they struggle for acknowledgment and acceptance....no matter how obscure the reference.

jaysit

Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:21 am

Outing a man that's been dead for almost 150 years in pathetic, don't you think?

What is pathetic is your assertion that if Lincoln were gay, it would be insulting to the nation and "our" legacy (whatever the hell that means, and I'm sure that you have no clue).
The evidence presented in the book is actually quite compelling. If nothing else, for the historical record. History is replete with men and women trying to hide their homosexuality. If Lincoln were indeed gay, then Americans would be better off knowing the truth than not. It looks like you don't even want to entertain that possibility.

Are gays desperatley looking for a hero that's relevant?
I guess Elton John and George Michael aren't good enough I guess.

No, we have plenty of those.
Rachmaninoff, Tchaikovsky, Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, Oscar Wilde, Erasmus, and all the gay US military personnel fighting unpopular wars.
When Rachmaninoff and Tchaikovsky's homosexuality was revealed to the Russians - openly - after years of hiding it under communist propaganda, it stunned many Russians who did not know the truth about these cultural icons. However, Russians have accepted the truth.

Without taking any sides on this, my question is simply WHY ?

Judging by the first post on here, and the usual absolute denial by the usual rabble of homophobes, you have the answer.
Lincoln was a seminal figure in the history of the nation. If he were gay, then why deny all Americans - not just gay Americans - the truth? Its much the same as Jefferson's affair with Sally Hemings. Racists of all stripes denied it, but it was the truth. Would you have preferred that Jefferson's affair with a black woman be kept under wraps?

There is no point to any of this and all it does is give right-wing talk show host and the GOP to say; 'look at what those liberals are up to now'.I am sure FOX news had a ball with this story.

Since when did what Fox News say become the bellweather of historical research? If the world cared what Limbaugh and O'Reilly and other hypocrites would say, nothing would ever be written.

Why isn't anyone putting any effort into finding out if Jack the Ripper was gay? Or Hitler. Or Genghis Khan.

Actually historians have delved into the personal lives of many a nasty fellow.
This has revealed that Gerhard Rossbach, the rather sadistic father of the Nazi movement was gay, so was Ernest Roehm (another vicious Nazi). We all know that Roy Cohn, a horrible figure in American history was gay.

Historians have a duty to reveal the truth, whether it be about good or bad people.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

bruno
Topic Author

Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:49 am

Jaysit

You forgot Leonardo DiCaprio!  Laugh out loud
All I am saying is that outing Lincoln does nothing to help gay causes. Haven't the gays learned anything since Ohio November 2, 2004?
The gay marriage issue turned off a lot of people and trying to claim Lincoln as gay further pisses off people.
All this does is get more people angry at gays. Do you really think the public will be more accepting of gays even if Lincoln were indeed gay?
Absolutley NOT!

NW747400

Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:07 am

I am 99.999% sure Lincoln was not gay, and I would have to be shown HARD CORE evidence to believe he was, but hypothetically if he was it was wrong. So it doesn't matter to me who does it it's still wrong. So they're wasting they're money trying to convince me that "he did it so see it's not wrong."
NW

777236ER

Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:07 am

All I am saying is that outing Lincoln does nothing to help gay causes. Haven't the gays learned anything since Ohio November 2, 2004?
The gay marriage issue turned off a lot of people and trying to claim Lincoln as gay further pisses off people.
All this does is get more people angry at gays. Do you really think the public will be more accepting of gays even if Lincoln were indeed gay?

A disgusting paragraph. Most people aren't angry at 'gays' ('gay people' makes you seem slightly less extreme, by the way). Simply because close-minded, biggoted people such as yourself hate the idea of two men having anal sex, enjoying it and loving each other, doesn't mean the rest of the world, or even the rest of your country does.
Your bone's got a little machine

skyservice_330

Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:08 am

"Haven't the gays learned anything since Ohio November 2, 2004?"

Indeed, that Americans like to live in a country where everyone isn't considered equal.

"The gay marriage issue turned off a lot of people."

Your right... nothing turns me off more then 2 adults wanting to affirm their love to one another in the highest regard possible and have that love recognized by the government. ...sickening..

"Trying to claim Lincoln as gay further pisses off people."

Why would this piss people off? I would think people would want him to go down in history for who he was ... and if that happens to be gay then so be it.

"All this does is get more people angry at gays."

Yup, having your countries history correct can be a really bitch ... I can imagine it would piss people off.

ConcordeBoy

Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:19 am

I am 99.999% sure Lincoln was not gay

...based on?

jaysit

Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:21 am

,i>All this does is get more people angry at gays. Do you really think the public will be more accepting of gays even if Lincoln were indeed gay?

Who cares if the general public is likely to be more accepting of gays?

If I cared that much about the general public, I'd be hiding in the closet, pretending to like football, and watching reality TV.

If Lincoln were indeed gay, I'd like to know. So would anyone else for whom historical truth and relevance are important.

What the general public thinks is irrelevant to research of any kind - scientific, literary, historical. If one used the views of the general public as a bellweather, we'd still be tirelessly promoting the notion of a flat earth.

NW747400

Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:27 am

"...based on?"

All the things I have read about him(school and I love presidential history so I've read quite a few books about him) I'm not saying he's not (notice I didn't say 100%) but nothing I've read even remotely suggested that he was.
NW747400

[Edited 2005-01-19 23:28:30]

jaysit

Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:35 am

"...based on?"

All the things I have read about him(school and I love presidential history so I've read quite a few books about him) I'm not saying he's not (notice I didn't say 100%) but nothing I've read even remotely suggested that he was.

Well, this is a new book based on newly unearthed evidence and letters. If you are interested in Lincoln and presidential history, perhaps you should read it and then decide if the evidence is compelling enough. In the end, it's the reader who is the final arbiter, right?

NW747400

Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:46 am

I might read that book. That's only one book though, that's compared to the numerous books that I've already read which had nothing in them suggesting he was gay. I'm afraid it will take more than one book to make me believe that.
NW747400

ConcordeBoy

Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:04 am

this is a new book based on newly unearthed evidence and letters

That's only one book though, that's compared to the numerous books that I've already read which had nothing in them suggesting he was gay.

...anyone else drolly amused by [the sheer idiocy of] the latter comment?  Nuts

Superfly

Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:34 pm

For the record, I support gay marriage 100% and gays SHOULD be allowed all the rights of us heteros including tax cuts. I am against any and ALL tax laws that favor married people. Marrighe is a choice and there should NOT be any incentives from the federal government to do so.

How come no one has answered my question? If there is anyone to OUT, it's Senator Lindsey Grahm (R-SC). His voting record is consistantly anti-gay and mirrors Trent Lott's. Those are the kind of gays that need to be outted. Closet gays such as Gavin Newsom (ConcordeBoy's dream man) maybe in the closet but I wouln'd like the idea of 'outing' him either. Gavin Newsom will make that announcement when he is ready. ConcordeBoy will be on the first flight to SFO when that happens. Big grin

Jaysit, 777236ER and SKYSERVICE_330:
I am disgusted by Bruno's attitude towards gays but he does have a point. Keep in mind the religious right forced the ugly out of voters in both the Democratic and Republican Partys. They put the gay marriage issue on many statewide ballots knowing people would vote it down. Even in California which Kerry, Boxer, Gore and Feinstein won by landslides yet still oppose gay marriage. I think it sucks because I voted against the Knight initiative. However, there are many people (many who are Democrats) who still consider homosexuality as a fault, sin, shortcoming etc and unfortunatley they vote.
Abraham Lincoln is one of the most revered Presidents the United States has ever had. Trying to out him would be viewed as insulting to many people and as Bruno said, will not make homophobes more accepting of gays. I know it sounds terrible but that's just the reality of our society.
Personaly I can care less if Lincoln were gay. I am just afraid of these kind of people being the voice of the new left.
The conservative media will certainly put there spin on this issue and claim that this is a liberal agenda sucking more voters over to the GOP.

Bring back the Concorde

ConcordeBoy

Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:31 pm

f there is anyone to OUT, it's Senator Lindsey Grahm (R-SC). His voting record is consistantly anti-gay and mirrors Trent Lott's. Those are the kind of gays that need to be outted.

*cough* Santorum! *cough cough*  Laugh out loud  Yeah sure

ConcordeBoy will be on the first flight to SFO when that happens.

damn straight I will muthasucker! Big grin

Superfly

Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:51 pm

ConcordeBoy:
Santorum isn't gay but Lindsey Grahm is!
Bring back the Concorde

bruno
Topic Author

Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:21 am

One doesn't have to go shopping with gays and embrace there way of life to support there rights. I am not a homophobe. I JUST DON"T UNDERSTAND THE POINT OF OUTTING LINCOLN!

I would think that our Educated gay members would explain.

flybyguy

Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:31 am

Tread carefully Aerorobnz,

"we all know Jesus was gay, and Palestinian and was the illegitimate son of a deity from an affair his mother had while married to another man......"

Your comment may deeply offend Christians everywhere. Though I am a Roman Catholic I can see that passing offense was not your primary perrogative. However, please refrain from blasphemous comments in the future... at least in honor of political correctness.

To comment further on the thread, I think that homosexuals indeed try to hunt down key popular figures in history to legitimize their modern lifestyles. For some time the homosexual community has been seen as a self-destructive cesspool of decadence. Homosexual acts are not natural and can be physiologically destructive i.e. various forms of rectal cancer and incontinence can result from a lifetime of homosexual behavior.

As a Catholic I believe that homosexuality in itself is not a sin, but the act is. Therefore I believe that homosexuality is genetic. I have seen families torn to pieces because of the revelation that a child or loved one was gay. I would doubt that many people would intentionally break the hearts of people dear to them for the sake of running around in women's clothing for an annual parade.

God has made people gay for a reason and that is something that all Christians must come to terms with. I think it would be befitting of the gay community to put forth a more positive face rather than marginalizing the rest of the non-homosexual world by spreading damaging rumors about great men and women in history.
"Are you a pretender... or a thoroughbred?!" - Professor Matt Miller

bruno
Topic Author

Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:50 am

Flybyguy

Welcome to my respected users list. You are spot on!
I am also a Catholic and it tears me apart to see these gays running around as Catholic nuns on Halloween and at other sexscapade events. Since when were the Catholics killing gays and leaving them hanging to fences in rural Wyoming?
Perhaps the gays better pick a bone with the Baptist and other religious nuts in the South.
Where do gays get the idea that Catholics are there #1 enemy?
Perhaps the Zionist media?
They again, Zionist are good for stirring up crap yet complain when there crap is throw back in there face.

dvk

Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:07 am

Bruno, thanks for showing your true colors. Your last post establishes your lack of credibility.
I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.

flybyguy

Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:09 am

I think Catholic Church is seen as an enemy to gays because of the recent scandals plaguing the Church.

However, you are right, many more physically hateful people (members of certain protestant sects in this country's southern and Midwestern regions) have mounted overt violent attacks against homosexuals, contrary to Christ's teachings.

How can people who commit violent acts and bare tongues flaming with hatred say they are doing God's Will? I'll tell you why... it's because there is much to be gained in using the Lord's good name for man's vices.

EA CO AS

Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:36 am

Let's settle this once and for all:

Lincoln was really a woman trapped in a man's body, but never realized it because she was a lesbian.  Big grin

"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

jaysit

Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:05 am

I couldn't care less what Bruno, Catholic nuns, Lindsey Graham, or Rick Santorum think. And clearly, its been established that some of the above do not think.

If Lincoln was gay, I'd like to know.

It's not a matter of outing. It's a matter for the historical record.

The battle over gay marriage and gay rights will go on. But why should that affect historical research?

As I said before, we all learned that Jefferson not only owned slaves, he had an affair with one rather lovely one. If one of our founding fathers was a slave owning, horny, randy fellow, Lincoln's purported gayness should come as no shock. At least composing bad love poems for a man is far less a crime by any standard of morality than owning a slave and fornication.

Right?

If Lincoln were indeed gay, all those Lincoln admirers will come to terms with it. And if they decide to engage in a backlash against gays, well, I suspect they'd be doing that anyways, gay Lincoln or not.

aerorobnz

Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:25 pm

with all due respect flybyguy, I won't change my comments for the sake of being politically correct. What you said about Gays is also politically incorrect to them but that didn't stop you, neither will it stop me. The fact he was born in Bethlehem means he was born in Palestine (making him Palestinian), His mother was married to Joseph, and unless Mary was married to God too (in which case it would be bigomy), would make him illegitimate in accordance with Christian views on Children outside of marriage., or does God have special exemption?

But besides all that, it was a sarcastic response in context with what 757300 said. The only reason I have taken the idea further in this post was because I felt that you need to lighten up up 'blasphemy.' People have a right to say what they want, whether or not it is a popular view. I'm not just another minority that you can marginalise for the sake of your faith.

flybyguy

Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:45 pm

Aerorobnz,

Your facts are right, but the delivery could have been more careful. Many people believe that Christ is the incarnation of God Himself and to call him an illegitimate Son and to hold the Immaculate Conception as a mere vice filled affair will definitely not win you any Christian fans.

I hold no disrespect of your freedom to your opinions, but I feel it to excercise my right to an opinion in terms of this issue.

The only reason I have taken the idea further in this post was because I felt that you need to lighten up up 'blasphemy.'

I am afraid that is the only term that can describe your statement. However, I realize that your statement was supposed to be jovial so I have not taken offence. All I'm asking is that you try to be a little more cautious with your words when it comes to religious affairs.

My statements about homosexuality, as far as I know, are fact. Political correctness is not an excuse to hide the truth, it is an barrier against the lies that plagued modern civilization and kept inherently good people divided.