Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jasepl

RE: Catholic Church At It Again - Rape Coverup

Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:23 am

Paedophilia wasn't misspelt... That is, in fact, the correct way of spelling it!  Big grin

[Edited 2005-01-23 23:24:54]

SSTjumbo

Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:24 am

Thanks, I did not know that. Makes me wonder why though. Could it be because that obviously wasn't enough? Rome needs to be public about this. It isn't as if the abuses are a secret and they don't want anyone to know; everyone knows.

They were public. Could they have been more public? Anybody could be more public in addressing a problem no matter how hard they tried.

Your parish or archdiocese are not responsible for what happens in Ireland or Austria or even in Wisconsin or Indiana. But the Vatican certainly is.

Once the Vatican has evaluated the issue and looked over it, then they are responsible. Let's wait and see what happens.

Unlike, for example, the Anglican Communion, the Church of Rome supposedly speaks with one voice, with the Pope as Supreme Commander, if you will. Words coming out of Lambeth aren't the final say in any matter; those coming out of St Peter's are supposed to be.

In theory, that should be correct. However, you'd be suprised at guys like Fr. Andrew Greeley in Chicago who have been outspoken against the Vatican on many issues, yet he was never excommunicated.

If, like dfw said, the more devolved Protestant denominations can ensure their abusive priests are defrocked and charged, what's keeping the centrally-controlled Cathloic Church from doing so?

The Vatican has a much larger problem to deal with than the smaller Protestant churches. You have one man doing the work of hundreds, and it'll take time.
I don't know, so this is my signature.

777236ER
Topic Author

Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:25 am

That was a joke, but you spelled pedophilia wrong and said that supporting pedophilia is "not wrong." Hey, whatever makes you happy.

I'm British. Paedophilia should be spelt with two As.

Anyways, you're simply ignoring the orders sent down by the Pope to Archbishops in America to remove all those involved from power.

Apparently, so did others in the church.
Your bone's got a little machine

SSTjumbo

Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:26 am

Paedophilia wasn't misspelt... That is, in fact, the correct way of spelling it!

Thank you my esteemed colleague. I hearby rule otherwise.  Big grin

SSTjumbo

Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:32 am

I'm British. Paedophilia should be spelt with two As.

...aaaaaand crowd boos wildly as 777236ER is rewarded his points back. This has been the most controversial game in the a.net league! What'you think about this one, Lou?

Apparently, so did others in the church.

Yes, that has been addressed, and I agree with that (ahem, beantown). This is a problem we will have to address in the coming decades, and I hope the $#!+ hits the fan in Boston and they get the wakeup call.

777236ER
Topic Author

Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:36 am

This is a problem we will have to address in the coming decades, and I hope the $#!+ hits the fan in Boston and they get the wakeup call.

So finally after 54 posts, you state what you should have stated in the beginning, rather than skating around the issue. Do you think it should take a decade to get this sorted?

MD-90

Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:37 am

The allegations relate to an incident at a parochial house, involving an 18-year-old man.

Let's make one thing clear: This was not an act of pedophilia. An 18-year old male is not a child.

SSTjumbo

Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:44 am

I have not skated around the issue. Refer to reply #1 for starters: "I personally hope all parties involved are prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law to send a message that rape and coverups are not tolerated no matter how "holy" you are." We argued you're pigeon-holing tendencies, and you whined when I called you Hitler and stated that you would not discuss it any further until I apologized, yet you did.

Whatever though, I'm not keeping score here, as long as the truth has been laid out, and it wouldn't be the wisest idea for the Pope to go plowing into Boston and burning down every church. Hey, now there's great PR!  Angry

SSTjumbo

Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:47 am

Let's make one thing clear: This was not an act of pedophilia. An 18-year old male is not a child.

They're both acts of paraphilia, and they're both wrong beyond tolerance.

[Edited 2005-01-23 23:48:22]

clipperhawaii

Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:52 am

Here we go again. When are you the moderators going to delete these posts by this person? We see it time and time again. The topic certainly is open for discussion but what we see here is his inflammatory title "Catholic Church at it Again", and his play to "incite". We all know this persons hatred for God and the Catholic Church yet we allow him a platform to spew his agenda of hate and intolerance. And it's allowed to happen insistently and he is laughing at all of us.

Another low in the non-Av forum and another stain on what COULD be a great aviation site for it not for these posts in this forum.

Proud are we?
"You Can't Beat The Experience"

777236ER
Topic Author

Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:54 am

And yet no word of condemnation by ClipperHawaii.

yyz717

Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:08 am

I have not skated around the issue. Refer to reply #1 for starters: "I personally hope all parties involved are prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law to send a message that rape and coverups are not tolerated no matter how "holy" you are."

And what if they aren't prosecuted? What will you do then? Continue going to church while rape victims remain traumatized?

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

SSTjumbo

Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:13 am

And what if they aren't prosecuted? What will you do then? Continue going to church while rape victims remain traumatized?

You're increasingly hopeless, Yyz717. There are those who will jump ship in the middle of a storm, and there are those who will sail out and persevere. They are being prosecuted and they will continue to be prosecuted. I can't count how many times I've told you to get your head out of the sand.

MD-90

Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:13 am

Since when is an 18-year old a nonconsenting partner? Isn't the age of consent in Ireland 16?

Seems to me it's just a gay guy who thought that the 18 y.o. was cute and wanted some. It's only "news" because it involved a priest. Many outlets of the modern news media love to push stories about sinning Christians.

777236ER, I condemn gay sex as sin. Happy?

777236ER
Topic Author

Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:33 am

Since when is an 18-year old a nonconsenting partner? Isn't the age of consent in Ireland 16?

Has it ever occured to you that the 18 year old might not have wanted the priest touching him sexually?

Seems to me it's just a gay guy who thought that the 18 y.o. was cute and wanted some. It's only "news" because it involved a priest. Many outlets of the modern news media love to push stories about sinning Christians.

A pathetic attempt to associate homosexuality with sexual abuse. The priest may or may not have been gay. No gay organisation tried to cover this up. It was the Catholic church that did it, and did it throughout the last century.

DfwRevolution

Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:42 am

Even the mass raping of altar boys by many priests and a resulting worldwide coverup, is not enough to make you hold your own church to task and accountability. What hypocracy. You should be walking a protest line outside your church if you were truly interested in justice for these pooir raped boys.

Man.... evidence is a bitch isn't it:

http://www.onpointradio.org/shows/2002/12/20021209_b_main.asp
http://www.boston.com/globe/spotlight/abuse/stories4/012703_protesters.htm

You're a member of a Church that accepts paedophilia. That's not wrong.

Is this accepting paedophilia?

http://www.telegram.com/static/crisisinthechurch/042502c.html

It really only takes a Google search to find the large number of Catholic groups committed to seeing an end to a very unfortunate chapter of the Catholic faith...
I have a three post per topic limit. You're welcome to have the last word.

777236ER
Topic Author

Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:46 am

It really only takes a Google search to find the large number of Catholic groups committed to seeing an end to a very unfortunate chapter of the Catholic faith...

They're clearly not working, as this case shows.

DfwRevolution

Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:54 am

They're clearly not working, as this case shows.

Jeez Ken Jennings... you're on a roll  Laugh out loud

You do realize that the protests of Boston Catholics have driven the diocese into bankruptcy, at which point you can garuntee the parishoners will get their way? Church and parochial school donations have all but disappeared as part of protest to the Dioscese, which another Google search should turn up.

IMO this is a very effective way to force reform: hit them in their wallet.

I just wanted to inform you that I've intellectually bitched you. You began by remarking if any priest had been taken to court and been served justice, I proved they have. You and others went on to say that the Catholic parishoners are looking the other way, I proved they are not. You probably didn't even know the scope of the protest in Boston, though you say they will be ineffectual. They most certainly will not be. What do you have left?  Laugh out loud

777236ER
Topic Author

Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:05 am

What do you have left?

The 18 year old that claimed to be raped, and a Catholic Church covering it up.

jake056

Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:13 am

I would suggest the poster who started this thread get the facts correct.

1. No rape occurred. "Advances" were made, according to the article. Rape is a criminal offense in which the state prosecutes, not the individual. this is a huge distinction.

2. The individual, who was an adult, sued for money damages.

3. Civil lawsuits are generally settled by a jury if it goes to trial, or by a settlement in which the defendant pays voluntarily without being told to do so by a jury.

4. No "hush money" was paid. The filing of a lawsuit is a public event, hence there is no cover up.

5. Lawsuits like this happen all the time in every industry and business.

6. This lawsuit was settled. That means the plaintiff consented to its resolution by means of a monetary payment prior to trial. If he wanted his day in court, he didn't have to settle.

I'm curious how the poster would have preferred this case have been resolved? And I don't mean, "well it shouldn't have happened in the first place." That is self-evident.

Pedophile priests abusing minors is an abomination, as is any adult, male or female, any religion doing the same thing.

DfwRevolution

Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:19 am

The 18 year old that claimed to be raped, and a Catholic Church covering it up.

You have every right to be upset (I am), but what's your point? It should be noted that an 18 year old is an adult, and while that does not make unwanted sexual contact any less wrong, why is this any different than the other sexual abuse cases?

They are all wrong and have precipitated justified outrage and reform within the communities effected...

MD-90

Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:21 am

an alleged sexual advance

Where does it say that he was raped?

Pedophile priests abusing minors is an abomination

Of course it is, but I don't consider a teenaged boy to be an object of pedophilia. That's just plain old gay lust, if you ask me. I think the whole scandal was more about homosexual priests than pedophile priests, but it's not PC for the media to report it that way. I'll bet there are stylebooks out there that specifically prohibited reporting the priests as being gay.

777236ER
Topic Author

Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:58 am

Where does it say that he was raped?

That's why I said 'alleged sexual advance'.

Of course it is, but I don't consider a teenaged boy to be an object of pedophilia. That's just plain old gay lust, if you ask me. I think the whole scandal was more about homosexual priests than pedophile priests, but it's not PC for the media to report it that way. I'll bet there are stylebooks out there that specifically prohibited reporting the priests as being gay.

Pathetic.

JOSEMEX

Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:37 am

>Or, become a Protestant. <

YYZ717, apparently you didn't see (or chose to ignore) the link I posted above:

http://www.catholicleague.org/research/abuse_in_social_context.htm

777236ER
Topic Author

Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:48 am

Indeed, to discuss the incidence of sexual abuse committed by Roman Catholic priests without reference to the level of offense found among the clergy of other religions, or to that of other professionals, is grossly unfair.

MORE denying a problem exists! Catholic priests have molested children and the Church covered it up. Whether it was one or one million, that's too many. The Church should concentrate on stopping it, rather than putting out reports that deny there's a problem.

JetMechMD80

Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:26 am

But it's not happening in other religions. Only the RC church.

ROTFL. Horse shit. It is, and you know it.

777236ER just has to get in his fix of anti-Catholic, anti-God rhetoric every now and then, lest he goes nuts.

Falcon,

We have our differences on a few things, but I will say, you called it like is. I admire you objectivity. RU list for you.

"I get along great with nobody"~ Billy Idol

MD-90

Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:49 am

777236ER, "an alleged sexual advance" is from the article, not your words. You've said that the 18 year-old "child" was raped.

777236ER
Topic Author

Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:42 am

MD-90, do you admit that Catholic priests raped children, and the Church covered it up?

Can you also admit that these sexual assault scandals are on-going, as this case shows?

airplay

Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:08 am

This is just another attempt to bash the Catholic church. YYZ717 blames the forced chastity of Priests in one breath then states:

Big deal. They're still walking around free in society. Perhaps continuing to rape and molest. Excommunication means nothing.

So apparently even when not bound to chastity, rapists are rapists are rapists....

Funny how the Protestant church is being touted as immune to such attrocities. They don't rape little boys. They just chop women's heads off....

Stop this silly (and blatent) pope bashing. Its quite childish and non-productive.

777236ER
Topic Author

Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:27 am

This is just another attempt to bash the Catholic church.

Yet again, someone blames me and Yyz717, and not the church.

SFOMEX

Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:52 am

Lets call it for what it is. 777236ER and Yyz717 couldn't care less about children's safety or the few cases of sexual abuse inside the Roman Catholic Church. Nope, they are just pursuing their agenda, to bash the Church they hate. It seems that the last prejudice which is well and alive in America is to bash Catholicism. Now that Blacks and Gays are out (not pun intended), they at least still have the prejudice against the Catholic Church to keep their bigotry alive.
You hate our Church because its 2000 years of existence are a permanent reminder of its spiritual power. You hate it because its thousands of holy men and women reminds you of its fidelity to Christ and His message. You hate it because you can stand its values. The sad part for you it's that no matter what, you hate will be defeated as it's been before. Our Church has faced big challenges and dangerous enemies and we are still here. Despite your best efforts, that will happen again. I'm sure that really bothers you.

Last but not least. We, all the members of our Church, have suffered with the cases of sexual abuse against minors. Even one was too much. Their pain is ours and their suffering a big challenge we are trying to repair. Justice has been made and many of those who sinned against children are paying for their crimes. Yet, the vast majority of our priests are good and decent men who will always be respected and loved by all the faithful, no matter what.

[Edited 2005-01-24 19:57:19]
The only thing worst than the GOP is the Democratic Party, think about it!

777236ER
Topic Author

Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:16 am

777236ER and Yyz717 couldn't care less about children's safety or the few cases of sexual abuse inside the Roman Catholic Church.

So we've been compared to HITLER and now we're being accused of not caring about sexual abuse. Perhaps you should get your own house in order before you critisise us?

bruno

Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:07 am

777236er

Dude take your anti-Catholic hatred and shove it up your ass!
People here are sick and tired of you using this site to spout out your hatred of Catholics. Are you a Protestant or Jew? Both seem to enjoy airing out the few bad apples within the Church. I find it ironic that our Bible thumping Christian members here from the South aren't coming to the defense of our religion. If anyone dares say something negative of Jews, they are labelled anti-semitic. Double standards.
I support the women’s movement up and down!

SSTjumbo

Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:15 am

Yet again, someone blames me and Yyz717, and not the church.

Yet again, someone confronts you and you divert attention from yourself.

So we've been compared to HITLER and now we're being accused of not caring about sexual abuse. Perhaps you should get your own house in order before you critisise us?

The only times you seem to care about sexual abuse is when it comes from the Catholic church. Gee, that's a statistical improbability! Face it, you've been owned, better just to step down than to make yourself look any worse.

777236ER
Topic Author

Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:16 am

Dude take your anti-Catholic hatred and shove it up your ass!
People here are sick and tired of you using this site to spout out your hatred of Catholics. Are you a Protestant or Jew? Both seem to enjoy airing out the few bad apples within the Church.

I am not a Protestant, nor a Jew. I don't hate the Church, but those raped by people who claim to be Christians probably do.

If anyone dares say something negative of Jews, they are labelled anti-semitic. Double standards.

I'm not Jewish so I don't care.

The only times you seem to care about sexual abuse is when it comes from the Catholic church. Gee, that's a statistical improbability! Face it, you've been owned, better just to step down than to make yourself look any worse.

How the hell would you know? You know nothing about me. You've seen one post from me about sexual abuse - and simply because it accuses people you like you insult me.

Cry cry cry whine whine whine. Still insulting me and Yyz717 rather than talking about the issue.

yyz717

Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:20 am

Stop this silly (and blatent) pope bashing. Its quite childish and non-productive.

Airplay joins the ranks of the other catholic-apologists more interested in church PR than the rapes. Not one word from Airplay yet about the poor rape victim though..............

Nope, they are just pursuing their agenda, to bash the Church they hate. It seems that the last prejudice which is well and alive in America is to bash Catholicism.L

SFOMEX also joins the ranks of the other catholic-apologists more interested in church PR than the rapes. Not one word from SFOMEX yet about the poor rape victim though..............

Seems the only individuals who have referenced the poor Irish rape victim directlty has been 777236ER and myself. Won't be the first time of course that catholic victims have found more sympathy in Protestant circles that among fellow catholics.

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

SSTjumbo

Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:40 am

How the hell would you know? You know nothing about me. You've seen one post from me about sexual abuse - and simply because it accuses people you like you insult me.

Cry cry cry whine whine whine. Still insulting me and Yyz717 rather than talking about the issue.

Hey, if you can't deny the issue, evade it; if you can't evade the issue, scream witch. I covered my ground a long time ago; you're still running from the issue.

Airplay joins the ranks of the other catholic-apologists more interested in church PR than the rapes. Not one word from Airplay yet about the poor rape victim though..............

Catholic apologists? Hey, it holds no water, but it's convenient, ain't it?

[mods: please lock this thread!]