Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Falcon84
Topic Author

Sammy Sosa-Baltimore Bound

Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:40 pm

Well, Swingin' Sammy's act closes in the Windy City, and moves over to the shores of Maryland.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1978241

Like Nomar being traded from the Red Sox last year, this deal may make the Cubs a better "team" next year.
Work Right, Fly Hard

LOT767-300ER

RE: Sammy Sosa-Baltimore Bound

Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:20 pm

Dont worry, we will still prevent the cubs to go to the series

Signed,
Chicago Cubs Fans  Laugh out loud

Newark777

Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:24 pm

Let's see how Angelos screws this up now. Everything has been downhill for poor Baltimore for the past ten years, I don't know if this is enough to help them. But I guess that is what you get for being in the same division as Boston and New York. At least they have a nice ballpark in Camden Yards. Beautiful stadium and hell of a place to see a ball game.

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

Theiler

Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:13 pm

Sounds like a good deal for the Cubs. Even though they will end up paying part of Sosa's (high) 2005 salary, he isn't getting any younger, and he will probably end up in a DH role very soon.

Slowly but surely his hitting numbers have been trailing off as well, as he seems to have lost some of his power.

..And then there is the whole attitude part..

yokohama1970

Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:21 pm

The Chicago Cubs & the Chicago White Sox are each due for a World Series Victory. As a life-long Boston Red Sox fan, I thought 86 years was a long wait. But World Series wins in 1917 (CWS) & 1908 (Cubs), that is a long time ago!

I agree with Newark777, Baltimore Oriole Park @ Camden Yards is a fantastic replica of a "classic" ballpark. Besides, they have a great "standing room only" section that is dirt cheap! "S.R.O." is on the left & right of center field, with great views & picnic benches to stand on.

Tom

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/history/postseason/mlb_ws.jsp?feature=recaps_index
http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/bal/ballpark/index.jsp

[Edited 2005-01-29 07:44:18]
Thank You Derek! Good Luck with the LA Dodgers

Newark777

Sat Jan 29, 2005 4:01 pm

It's too bad Sosa is right-handed. I would have liked to see a few balls hit off the old warehouse building.  Smile

I have such fond memories of baseball games in Baltimore, even though I am a Yankee fan. Eating dinner overlooking the harbor, and then walking down to the stadium, seeing it all lit up in all its glory, is an experience any baseball fan should have. Funny though, since I went to a Boston-Baltimore game, and most of the fans there were from Boston.  Laugh out loud

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

UALPHLCS

Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:07 am

Baltimore has been on a downhill slide ever since that kid cheated and became the toast of New York.

I never saw anything so lame in my life as New York celebrating this kid for helping the Yankees cheat.

Anyway, I am glad to see that the Orioles are finally doing something to regain the quality they had in the early nineties. They need alot more work though if they are going to be a contender inthe AL East.
A little less Hooah, and a little more Dooah.

LHMark

Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:33 am

Nothing says "Regaining Quality" like acquiring a roided-out slugger on the downside of his career in an era where attention is focused on use of illegal performance-enhancing substances. Classic Angelos. Is Bobby Bonilla available?
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

Blackbird1331

Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:59 am

Wish they would handcuff him to George Stienbrenner. Goodbye George.
Cameras shoot pictures. Guns shoot people. They have the guns.