Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

PacificWestern
Topic Author

US Lawmen Disobeying The Law In Canada.

Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:52 pm

A Vancouver off duty policeman was subjected to an illegal search by a Texas State Trooper working for the RCMP in British Columbia.

The off duty cop has won an out-of-court settlement from the RCMP after an incident for which he was illegally searched by an American lawman on exchange in Canada to teach the RCMP how to search for possible drug runners.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2005/01/28/texas-bc050128.html

airplay

RE: US Lawmen Disobeying The Law In Canada.

Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:50 am

Let's just be grateful he wasn't deported to Syria or sent to Gitmo....

SlamClick

Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:30 am

I guess the Smokey and the Bandit type of movie don't ever get played in Canada. Otherwise the Canada and the RCMP would not pay a Texas cop to come up there and "train" them in how to apply their own laws.

What the Texas cop did was not very bright, but might be excused on the basis of his ignorance of local law. In my opinion no responsible peace officer would ever undertake to enforce laws of which he was completely ignorant, but then I never did have a cop (or a criminal) mentality.

On the other hand, what the local cops did in granting him that much latitude with their citizens and laws was downright stupid. Seems reasonable that the damages be paid by those responsible.

Interesting though, that in a nation and culture that takes particular pride in being NOT the United States law enforcement would look to the worst possible example of overbearing, rights-trampling cultural stereotype cops and ask them to come. Why not California cops? Why not Massachusetts?

I mean TEXAS?

ANCFlyer

Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:40 am

I think this Texas Trooper was out of line. Definitely out of line. Regardless of what kind of "international" cooperation agreement was in place to allow this scenario from the beginning, he should have seconded to the Canadian law enforcement officials, and followed their lead.

I have done a lot of cross-border work with the RCMP - Project Northstar - but when in Canada, RCMP always, always, always had the lead. The same is true visa vis the RCMP in Alaska.

And as SlamClick said, Texas?! Brings a whole new meaning to Cops and Robbers there . . . .

[Edited 2005-01-29 18:41:22]

PacificWestern
Topic Author

Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:10 am

Yes, the RCMP could have found better "recruits" elsewhere. I wonder if Police Chief Marge Gunderson from Brainerd, Minnesota was available. LOL

[Edited 2005-01-29 19:11:09]

SlamClick

Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:20 am

You betcha!

Marge

Blackbird1331

Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:31 am

That Texan sounds more like a candidate for a Bush bodyguard.

StowAway

Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:39 am

That Texan sounds more like a candidate for a Bush bodyguard.

Anybody else hear that pin drop?

Maybe your next one will be funny...

Falcon84

Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:41 am

What the Texas cop did was not very bright, but might be excused on the basis of his ignorance of local law.

Don't the words "Texas" and "ignorance" kind of go hand-in-hand?  Wink/being sarcastic

MD11Engineer

Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:17 am

Here in Europe, there exist various crossborder cooperations between cops, but in every situation the local cop is in charge. E.g. you might see a German cop teamed up with a Dutch cop in the Netherlands, but it is the Dutch cop who calls the shots, or mixed German-Polish border patrols.
Between several countries exist agreements for hot pusuits, due to the fact that there are no border checkpoints anymore. Police from one country are allowed to follow a fleeing suspect or criinal into the neighbouring country and arrest that person, if necessary, but have to notify the local police force (via their dispatcher) about it and have to hand over the arrested person to the local police for processing.
They can´t just take him back across the border. In certain smalll towns right on the Dutch-German border there exists only one police station, which is manned by officers from both countries, who often go on mixed patrols as well.
There are similar agreements concerning rescue and firefighting, e.g. fire trucks from these border regions carry adaptors to connnect their hoses to the other´s hydrants or if e.g. you´ve got an accident and get taken to hospital, it might be one across the border, which is closest and happens to a have a bed free.

Jan

delta-flyer

Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:34 am

Ironic, that the Texan was training the RCMP in profiling .... his profiling of the BC off-duty cop turned out to be totally wrong.

Pete

yyz717

Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:08 am

The issue here is drugs, not the illegal search. If that off-duty Vancouver cop would do his job and eliminate drugs from society, there would be no need for Texan state troopers to be brought to Canada for drug training.

ANCFlyer

Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:13 am

Yyz717If that off-duty Vancouver cop would do his job and eliminate drugs from society,

Theoretically, sound plan. In practice, not going to happen. As long as there is demand, there will be supply. Unfortunately.

I could expound on the efforts of eliminating drugs, but that would be way off topic, so I'll simply say the folks that manufacture and ship and wholesale illegal narcotics are more and more inventive as time goes on, and they do not have to play by the rules.

Edited as DL021 points out below . . . thanks

[Edited 2005-01-30 03:27:27]

dl021

Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:22 am

anc....I think that your point is true more if we reverse your phraseology.

As long as there is a demand someone will create a supply for the drugs. The same held true for liquor and the same holds true for any desireable contraband.

PacificWestern
Topic Author

Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:41 am

The issue here is drugs, not the illegal search. If that off-duty Vancouver cop would do his job and eliminate drugs from society, there would be no need for Texan state troopers to be brought to Canada for drug training.

Yyz717....I am always interested in reading your posts, but don't be silly!!! How on earth is that one cop supposed to eliminate drugs? How do you know he isn't one of the best cops Vancouver has? He's only one man.

The drug problem is bigger than the law. And if one person could wipe out the drug trade in Canada, I'd be ecstatic. I've lost way too many loved ones to drug abuse and despite any efforts on my part, I know I will lose more.  Sad

yyz717

Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:48 am

Yyz717....I am always interested in reading your posts, but don't be silly!!! How on earth is that one cop supposed to eliminate drugs?

Okay, you caught me out!  Smile I know I was being a bit flippant, but I honestly believe every cop can make a difference. When I see cops at donut stores, serving as guards at nightclubs and launching frivolous law suits such as the above, I question their individual and collective priorities.

.....and the drugs are still flowing in YVR...........

MD11Engineer

Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:01 pm

If I were searched and/or detained illegally by a cop I would sue him. Period.

Jan

srbmod

Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:24 pm

Why am I reminded of that one episode of Reno 911! where they had the London policeman come to Reno under such a program?

ANCFlyer

Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:26 pm

When I see cops at donut stores,

Hey, easy there Killer . . . .  Big thumbs up

serving as guards at nightclubs If they are on the cities dime, that's the wrong answer. If, however, that cities "dime" is a "nickel" so to speak, then they're probably there because the cheap ass city/county/state won't pay them what they're worth. And the first people to bitch when taxes go up to pay police officers are the same people that are making posts like this one. Cop's gotta make a living, provide for his family . . .

I think more often than not you'll find this to be the case . . . cops working a second job to make ends meet.

and the drugs are still flowing in YVR

And in SEA, LAX, SFO, DEN, PHX, ORD, NYC, BOS, MIA, . . . . . once again, I could expound on things that could make drug interdiction much more effective but would send the average American (and Canadian) into hissy fits. I could also expound on the need to accelerate and adequately fund Demand Reduction. Cut off the demand the supply will die . . .

Alas, I digress. . . .

PacificWestern
Topic Author

Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:35 pm

Cut off the demand the supply will die . . .

Look ANC!!! We agree again! LOL *checks to see if Hell is freezing over*

And I agree about paying police a decent wage. One always hears about police cutbacks, more police cutbacks. Interestingly enough, taxes don't go down, but crime does go up. Imagine that.

jamesag96

Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:48 pm

Let's not forget the cop got a ticket after knowingly breaking the law.

Probable cause is a bitch too.