Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

airplay

RE: So Nice To See Arabs Voting--Good Luck George Bush

Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:48 am

Iraqi's are free to run their own affairs effective today for the first time in 50 years. Democracy by its very nature is never imposed.

Oh really? So you are saying that the US isn't imposing its brand of democracy on Iraq? Keep on saying it and someday you'll truly believe it.

Airplay, your hatred of the US prevents you from acknowledging what a wonderful day today is for Iraqi's.

I don't hate the US. I have stated this many times. You apparently rather ignore that and sink to the lowest level of debate. Bring yourself out of the gutter YYZ717. Perhaps its your hatred of Canada that brings this rage out in you...

Smile

They are executing their democratic right for the first time in 50 years, thanks to the US. It must horrify you when the US is able to bring about such a flourishing of democracy.

Don't hold your breath YYZ717. I can't think of a country right now that is more seriously divided than Iraq. The news media tells us that very few Sunni Arabs voted. That doesn't exactly bode well no matter what the reason.

Oh wait...I know a country that's just as divided. Can you guess which one?

Smile

Falcon84

Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:59 am

The entire world should be grateful to the US for making this election possible.

Right. Give thanks to the U.S. for starting a war that was started over bogus information; where the reason changed with the wind in Washington, and where a war still rages. Grateful? What are you smoking?

Iraqi's are free to run their own affairs effective today for the first time in 50 years.

With an occupying army in place? Hardly. They will not be free to run their own affairs or be masters of their own house till every foreign soldier has left and gone home. Until then, their are, in many respect, being run by Washington, not Baghdad.

Democracy by its very nature is never imposed.

ROTFL. You have the nerve to say that after Iraq was "given" "democracy" at the point of the gun? Amazing!  Laugh out loud

I would restate an earlier opinion however . . . if the Iraqi government orders us out of the country, we need to depart. If they ask for our help, we must stay - we started this - until he government and the people are satisfied.

Agree, absolutely, 100%. No matter what side of this war you were on, it is imperative that Iraq be given the chance, and that Washington be given the opportunity to turn a less-than-perfect situation into something that can work, long-term, for these people. You are right, ANC, we owe it to them-and we owe it to our soldiers who have died in that nation.

The point of the elections is that Iraqis should risk their lives to go vote for a leader?

QR, since you know nothing about freedom or the right to freely vote, I'm not surprised. People all over the world have fought ,died and killed to not be ruled, but to give their consent to those governing them. It's a sad fact the Arab world doesn't know, or understand diddle about this, and it's one reason why the Arab world is an abject failure.

Maybe-just maybe-this can succeed, and start a transformation of the Arab world. I have my doubt, especially based on the history of the Arab world, and, despite the euphoria today, I'm still of the opinion Civil War is possible when the troops leave, but maybe it's possible. I was not for this war, and never will be, QR, but I'm willing to see if something good can come of it. That's called having an open mind.  Smile

Would be interesting to see what happens to Iraq if it is turned into an Ultra-Shi'aa state, which is VERY probable. A second Iran...

I agree with you. That won't happen in this election, I believe, but in a post-occupation election, I think you'll see Iraq head to an Islamic government, I really do. History leans to that conclusion.

Not as surprising as racist people like you making comments like that, though.

Why? Because he's astounded to see an Arab nation doing what many in the U.S., sadly, take for granted? It wasn't racist. It was a comment not based in hate, but in happy surprise. I'm not fan of JetJack, but he said nothing wrong.
Work Right, Fly Hard

whitehatter

Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:59 am

I can't think of a country right now that is more seriously divided than Iraq. The news media tells us that very few Sunni Arabs voted. That doesn't exactly bode well no matter what the reason.

That in itself is a problem, but the main issue is Wahabbi and the insurgents.

This election doesn't mean a toss. For the insurgency it is an insult to their particular distortion of Islam, which preaches that democracy and elections are un-Islamic. No vote is going to stop the likes of Bin Laden and Al-Zarqawi from killing both moslems and foreigners alike.

Believing anything else is just deluded posturing. Wahabbi is a violent Islamic sect which denounces any form of democracy as they believe only Allah has the right to rule on earth through his appointees. Iraq should, in their eyes, be part of the pan-Arabic state from Morocco to India and beyond, eventually dominating the world. Even other Moslems who do not follow Wahhabi are considered infidels and are fair game for murder.

Naturally this pan-Arabic state will be governed by one who they state is Allah's appointed, as Caliph. Guess who.

So to the insurgents the election has the same effect as a red rag to a bull. And guess who is going to get the horns....
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...