Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

StowAway

RE: Americans, Would You Support A War Against Iran?

Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:21 pm

Laugh out loud I told NumberTwelve to be careful in Reply #25! Oh well....

ANCFlyer

Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:37 pm

Well, Stowaway, you know how it goes - you can lead a horse to water . . . . .
 Laugh out loud

HAWK21M

Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:04 pm

I dont think so Iran is not another Iraq.
regds
MEL

jaysit

Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:20 pm

By weeks end we will see a Shiite regime in Iraq.

These guys are in cahoots with their Iranian buddies across the border.

If the US attacked Iran, these guys would not be very happy, and right now, an uneasy peace between the occupying US forces in Iraq and the new interim government is necessary.

Besides, I see no reason why Iran shouldn't be allowed to have nuclear weapons. Pakistan has it (far, far more prone to a crazed Wahabi takeover than Iran is); Israel has it; India has it. Frankly, an Iranian nuclear power would offset Pakistan's nuclear stance, as Pakistan wouldn't dare try anything with two nuclear powers on either side of its borders.

IFLYMCO

Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:22 pm

NO, as my mother told me as a child:

"Clean up one mess before you start a new one"

P.S. I'm an American living in the Netherlands (hence the flag).

Banco

Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:10 pm

Iran is the reason why quite a few politicans and diplomats are so frustrated about Iraq.

Iran is a potential threat. Although the moderates in the Iranian Parliament have been growing in size, the religious leadership are the ones that hold the real power. Put it this way, in the last election, moderate candidates were prevented from standing. Not even Khomeini did that.

But the invasion of Iraq has hamstrung the United States, by making it unlikely American public opinion would ever approve what may prove to be necessary action. The same is true of America's principal allies, such as the UK.

Iraq was never a threat. Iran is. Any threat of punitive action against Iran is going to viewed as an empty threat, because they won't grandstand in the way that Saddam did - they'll always give us another option. We've made life a hell of a lot more difficult for ourselves.

lehpron

Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:52 am

>>"I'd rather be proactive then reactive, hence, do I want a nuclear weapon from Iran being detonated on our soil? NO. Do I want another terrorist event on the scale of 9/11 to happen on our soil? NO."<<

Sound liek the same 'kill-them-b4-they-kill-me' rhetoric that made America fear Iraq. Unless we are sure of their technological advancements are we gonna go, provided there was a threat. On the otherhand, this was from:

EYES ON THE SKIES
July 15, 1998
The NewsHour with Jim Lehrer Transcript

Rumsfeld was in this back then:

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/fedagencies/july-dec98/missile_7-15.html

Interesting read from 7 years ago....

Udo

Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:34 am

President Bush has constantly done what is right for America and the world

"Right" in his fundamentalist opinion you should add. Oh sorry, I forgot God himself has told him the "right" way...shame on me...  Wink/being sarcastic
Btw, since when has he cared about the world? And which world - the one that ends west of the Atlantic and east of the Pacific?  Wink/being sarcastic

mham001

RE: Americans, Would You Support A War Against Ira

Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:38 pm

What everybody in this thread has forgotten is that Iran has promised the world they would not develop nuclear weapons. They lied and continue to stall the weak europeans. They have no respect for those they are negotiating with.
I would agree that they would probably not be the first to use them, but I wouldn't bet that they wouldn't pass one off to somebody else to use. That is the danger.

Whoever claimed Iran has elected their government is ignorant. The mullahs control who is placed on the ballots and are currently cracking down hard on internet speech. A free society it is not.

Interestingly, Americans are very popular in Iran, especially among the young. That may not translate into an invasion, but they are hoping that we can bring change.

avek00

Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:49 pm

The in the reasoning of most in supporting an attack on Iran is that, unlike Iraq, Iran is not a pushover. The Iranian military is larger, better funded, better trained, and better armed than the Iraqi forces - we'd have an absolute bloodbath (likely with casualty levels that Americans would not accept for any significant duration) on our hands. To make matters worse, unlike Saddam, the Ayatollah can unleash another powerful defense mechanism - terrorism. It should be remembered that the Iranians perfected the terror game long before Osama and al-Qaeda ever came on the scene - put them in a nothing-to-lose situation, and we'd probably see massive terrorist attacks in nigh-every Western capital, and all across the USA (keep in mind that "racial"/ethnic profiling would not work against the Iranians, since many have an appearance virtually indistinguishable from that of Europeans).

MSYtristar

Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:47 pm

Nah, no reason for us to go attack Iran, nuke weapons or not. Leave them be. If they choose to attack us, they know that all hell will break loose. But I seriously doubt that they would do such a thing. The U.S just cannot keep on "threatening" these countries with war. It sends out a bad image in my opinion. These nations already know that the U.S is willing and very able to take care of business on the military front. Threats are not needed. Attacking Iran would be a big mistake in my opinion, and I am 110% against it. Actually, I am 110% against any war in the Middle East, but maybe that's just me.

Kay

Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:54 am

After all the controversy around the Iraq war, I can't see them making such a mistake openly again.

However.... THAT would be a war I would support..

Russophile

Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:32 am

What everybody in this thread has forgotten is that Iran has promised the world they would not develop nuclear weapons. They lied and continue to stall the weak europeans. They have no respect for those they are negotiating with.

EVIDENCE PLEASE?!? There is NO evidence that Iran is developing nuclear weapons. They are developing nuclear energy. Your line is similar to this:

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=7549233

Cheney urged Iran to prove to the world it was not seeking a nuclear weapon and said Iran was "a potential source for instability" in the region.

This should read:

Iran urged Cheney to prove to the world that Iran was seeking a nuclear weapon and said that the US was a 'potential source for instability' in the region.

Iran is a sovereign nation. It is up to the Iranian people to decide what they want for their country. Any nation which decides to stick its nose in to anothers affairs deserves everything it gets in return, whatever that might entail.

pilotaydin

Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:50 am

well what would happen if Iran sent a satellite over area 51 and other such "suspicious" US territory, and we started seeing pics on Iranian TV of sites where Iran thinks there are WMD in the USA?.....

Nobody is asking the USA to be the world's policeman, so i would like to see the USA stop provoking nations such as my own, into their agenda and theories.....

The region is on the verge of global chaos...we have christians vs. muslims here and we have west vs east...the last thing we need is to see the USA attack a country with deadly weapons....

Id like to go inspect the underground of the usa and see what kind of WMD the USA has been testing and building lately...
surely the world's greatest super power doesn't think the rest of the world will believe that there are no WMD in the usa? Why would the world be so scared of the USA if they didnt have them?

It's time for the USA to stop being big brother to the whole globe, i think it's too dangerous for everyone at this point...

iakobos

Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:19 am

I digress Aydin,

As long as the planet does not find a way to solve problems in a peaceful manner, or the UN is voluntarily kept as a world studio full of microphones and devoid of any authority, many do see a need for a capable force able to arbitrate, interfere and intervene if necessary.

In tough times you remember quickly where your friends are, even those you did not see for some time.

9/11, its consequent actions and political stand offs should not make us (or most) forget where the police station is, even if we dont like the present color of their uniform.

ANCFlyer

Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:02 am

Pilot Nobody is asking the USA to be the world's policeman,

I would say you're incorrect there. Seems every time the shit hits the fan anywhere in the world, what ever the circumstance, the US is always called on to be the the policeman, fireman, peacemaker, trash hauler, clean up crew, or whatever.

Pilot: It's time for the USA to stop being big brother to the whole globe, . . . .

I agree, and the next time someone calls for help - tell 'em to go to hell, right? Then the US can be chastised by everyone for "ignoring someone in need of aid". The way I see it Pilot, a lot of folks, perhaps you included, damn the US if we do and damn us if we don't.

Why don't we pull the aid we send to everyone - spend that money here, fixing schools, roads, law enforcement, crumbling ATC, social programs.

LHSebi

Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:41 am

I would say you're incorrect there. Seems every time the shit hits the fan anywhere in the world, what ever the circumstance, the US is always called on to be the the policeman, fireman, peacemaker, trash hauler, clean up crew, or whatever.

Such as when? Give me a good example? You mean like when Iraq was threatening every peace-loving nation of the world with its "WMDs", so you came to our aid?...Give me a break...

Sebastian

ANCFlyer

Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:57 am

Such as when? Give me a good example?

Nothing to with that LHSebi . . .

But if it's examples you want, let me help you out: Recent history.

Peacekeepers on the Sanai

Military troops in South Korea

Tsunami Aid (which I absolutely agree with by the by) in SE Asia

As for Germany, well, how about the thousands of US and other NATO troops stationed there for 50 years during the cold war holding back the USSR?

Just a few quick examples . . . off the top of my head.

Nope, you give ME a break.

EZEIZA

Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:36 am

ANCflyer,

you are right, the US has helped in many ways, but it has done so in most cases because it implied a benefit for the US, rarely out of charity. In any case, many times countries call for US aid because the US has the means and the money to provide aid, but does that mean that the US can do whatever it feels like whenever it feels like it?

gigneil

RE: Americans, Would You Support A War Against Ira

Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:52 am

And about the fear of provoking anti-Americanism, do you truly believe that is a reason not to act?

Um, yeah. I think that's a fabulous reason. Terrorism is born of anti-Americanism. We can't kill every terrorist, and every time we try we breed a new generation of them.

Perhaps a more tactful approach would bear more results?

President Bush has constantly done what is right for America and the world; he is not about to change his ways now.

Ah, to be 18 again.

You're the main subject of Green Day's new album.

What we need to do is focus on North Korea . . .

Hear hear. I realize that oil is important, to an extent, but we're going to be really quite fucked if North Korea starts in after Japan and South Korea.

The Iranians could give a shit about us. The North Koreans have no such compunction.

N

[Edited 2005-02-08 01:56:09]

ANCFlyer

Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:05 am

EZEIZA because it implied a benefit for the US, rarely out of charity

I'd say that's not entirely true. I see no benefit to the US whatsoever for sustaining a continued military presence in the Sinai for example. He it brought peace to the region? What has been accomplished there?

Or the mudslides in South America. What great benefit did we reap out of that?

EZEIZA but does that mean that the US can do whatever it feels like whenever it feels like it?

No it does not, I agree completely. I was replying to LHSebi's absurd teenage inclination that the US simply sits on it's ass when any given country in the world cries for help . . .

Gigneil: Hear hear. I realize that oil is important, to an extent, but we're going to be really quite fucked if North Korea starts in after Japan and South Korea.

How right you are . . . I am hopeful that China, South Korea and Japan are putting the pressure on North Korea regarding their nuclear ambitions, but I'd not bet even odds on it. We will be surely screwed if the situation escalates!

Edit: Typos

[Edited 2005-02-08 02:08:45]

EZEIZA

Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:23 pm

ANCflyer,
Hi again, "I'd say that's not entirely true. I see no benefit to the US whatsoever for sustaining a continued military presence in the Sinai for example. He it brought peace to the region? What has been accomplished there?

Or the mudslides in South America. What great benefit did we reap out of that?"

I said rarely, I did not say never!  Smile

The thing is one could give dozens of examples where the US did intervene for a benefit of some sort, but as you said, it's not always like that.

Regarding the original topic, I want to again say that it would be a huge mistake for the US to get into Iran (or Siria). Listnening to Condolezza Rice reminds me of the reasons given by Powell ... let's hope the outcome will be different this time

regards

ANCFlyer

Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:25 pm

Regarding the original topic, I want to again say that it would be a huge mistake for the US to get into Iran (or Siria). Listnening to Condolezza Rice reminds me of the reasons given by Powell ... let's hope the outcome will be different this time

You're absolutely right . . . every time I see Condi Rice in the news I become instantly concerned . . . at least Powell spoke his mind . . .