Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

airplay

RE: Why Does Everybody Hate The French?

Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:39 am

You ask if the average city dweller in the US can be as rude as anyone, but we were talking about the French.

I think its a valid comparison DL021. What culture do you hold as the standard when making comparisons? I assume that since your username flys the American flag that your opinion of the French comes from comparing them to Americans.

So...you can find rude people anywhere. But I bet you won't find many French tourists being disgusted when they go to a restaraunt and none of the servers can speak French.

StowAway

Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:52 pm

Gentlemen, hats off, StowAway was a member of both delegations.

What a relief, Iakobos. I thought you were going to say something meaningful.

jasepl

Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:32 pm

LOL Ian!

L'Académie Française got irrititated enough to 'ban' the word 'email' - you're now supposed to say courriel (courrier électronique)!

I haven't come across le version française of l'internet, le pull-over, le parking, le job, or le week-end though!

RobK

Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:48 pm

My own personal 'thing' with France is the way they treat 'foreign' wagon drivers. A friend of mine was transitting through the country in his wagon (pulling a trailer) 2 years ago with a TIR sealed load destined for the UK. The French police were doing random checks and found the trailer to contain some drugs. The driver was arrested straight away and 2 days later found himself fast-tracked into Perpignan prison and there he stayed for 18 months.

Like I say, the trailer he picked up was TIR sealed so he had no way of checking the content and had no idea what was inside.

Eventually he was released about 6 months ago without charge after 18 months in Perpignan prison.

Absolutely digusting.

And this is no isolated case - there are plenty more innocent drivers locked up over there for the same reasons.

If you're interested, read about it at http://www.justicefordrivers.org

Just in Perpignan prison alone there were over 300 drivers in there in May 2004 - 68 of those British - and there are 42 prisons in France...

Cheers,

Rob K  Sad

mdsh00

Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:05 pm

I don't hate the French either. Although I don't have much experience since my only experience in France was 8 hours in CDG Terminal 1, which is so nasty of a place that it can make anybody cranky. Perhaps it was just the people at the airport but in my 8 hours there, I must have come across only one nice person (a middle aged lady). The rest were either rude or just gave us cold looks. It seems though according to many that this is more of a Parisian attitude. So nevertheless, I'd still like to visit France.

[Edited 2005-02-07 09:06:24]

sebolino

Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:11 pm

He would mock everything American, from making fun of "dumb American students," making fun of our culture (everything from our patriotism to American food to the women), and he constantly made negative remarks about conservatives. Like AA61hvy's experience, he seemed to be very arrogant about French culture. That being said, despite his hatred towards American culture, I would always see him out at the bars on the weekends, basically basking in American college culture. Talk about a hypocrite.

JCS, come on.

I admit that it's quite funny for everybody a little bit cultured to see the American pride sweating in the Hollywood movies. A good example would be "Independance day" which is one of the most ridiculous movie I have ever seen, with all the usual "we save the world" scenario.

But if you think it's American culture to drink in bars, you got a serious lack of knowledge about other countries.

slider

Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:41 am

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/jonahgoldberg/jg20041224.shtml

As someone who has French ancestry, I hold no ill will to regular French citizens. But the nation itself has a centuries-long history of essentially being one big--and arrogant--pain in the ass.

planespotterx

Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:12 am

The Americans hate the French because there the only ones who had the guts to stand up to the US during the Iraq war and could see right thro them.
They basically said "fight your own battle", and boy they were right, thats what the US people hate about them, the fact they stood-up for themselves against the US...just a shame the UK couldnt do the same either.

NumberTwelve

Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:23 am

Everybody? Maybe lots of US Americans deny using the wording "French Fries" anymore and changed into "Freedom Fries".
But there is no "Hate" between the Germans and French anymore (ok, since 1945).
And concerning Reply 5 (from SLC), I totally agree. The anti Americanism is (sorry) self made within US government.

Banco

Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:24 am

The recent American anti-French stance is a little different to the long running battle between the English and the French.

The military rivalry is obvious and has a long history, but it has always been more than that. The English (and other Britons to a lesser extent) and the French have always secretly admired the other, and would rather have a vat of boiling oil poured over their heads than admit it, even to themselves. The relationship is therefore complicated and multi-faceted.

It's certainly true that the "cheese eating surrender monkeys" gibes that came out of certain elements of America (and yes, I know where that originally came from, and why, but people used it a lot) were definitely greeted with unrestrained glee by the English who have telling the world this kind of stuff for hundreds of years.

But the abuse heaped on France by certain Americans doesn't have this historical and cultural context. It's just blatant bigotry to be honest. The English and the French hate each other because they secretly love each other. That's not quite the same as what we've seen recently elsewhere.

yukimizake

Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:25 am

"As someone who has French ancestry, I hold no ill will to regular French citizens. But the nation itself has a centuries-long history of essentially being one big--and arrogant--pain in the ass."

The same can be said about Spain, England, Germany, Italy, the United States and Russia. The whole episode of 'Freedom Fries' is a joke, it's amazing how moronic your elected representatives can be.

SlamClick

Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:29 am

In what way is the average French person "cultured."

I think people buy into that idea without questioning it. Now I am not really taking a stance on this, but just offering it up.

French people, in what way are you "cultured?"

I go to museums.
I go to symphonies.
I go to opera.
I go to ballet.
I don't cover my food with ketchup.
and so on
So, what makes your everyday culture superior to anyone else'?

BTW I once heard an educated, traveled, cultured person say that he thought French cuisine and French lovers were both overrated - "all grease and garlic."

Don't fully agree, but it is pretty funny.

NumberTwelve

Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:38 am

SlamClick, culture already starts with simple things like: not drinking champagne out of plastic cups.

France is a nation with lots of culture, like it or not - it's fact. And it's the "Savoir vivre" too.

tbar220

Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:48 am

I think its far too simplistic to say that it is because of the Iraq war. It is a culmination of decades of history between our countries. Just like between England and France (of course there are centuries of history between these two).

NumberTwelve

Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:52 am

So the topic "Why does everybody hate the French" should be changed into "Why do many people from the US hate the French" then.

Just to inform you: people in the US are not everybody, there are some more people on earth.

I for myself wouldn't ask "Why does everybody hate the Americans".

[Edited 2005-02-07 20:53:18]

xjramper

Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:55 am

I saw a little republican bashing there as the French: our scapegoat. I like the French, they have the best wine IMO, the nicest people, and a beautiful country. I have no problem with them, and I definately was not one of those who boycotted French wine. I wasnt happy that they didnt help us an ounce...but then again we cant win them all and it definately was not the people of France, it was the government. I visited Paris while in high school and it reminded me a little bit of New York. Next place in France I would like to visit is NCE. I heard its beautiful.

XJR

Superfly

Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:58 am

J'aime les Français !  Big thumbs up  Smokin cool

NumberTwelve

Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:05 am

XJRamper: " ...wasnt happy that they didnt help us an ounce..."

And we didn't too. And it was a good decission because now we all know that the Iraq War started with a lie from US Admin. You should have had more friends like France and Germany who tried to stopped the US admin madness.

If the British government would have done same, maybe blood wouldn't be on the hands of US nation.

xjramper

Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:08 am

Im not responding either way on that issue, because that would detract from the original post. You have your opinion and I have mine.  Smile

XJR

NumberTwelve

Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:11 am

If it really would detract from the original post, XJ, 75 % of the replies would.

Also it's you who mentioned that France didn't help the US. They tried to help to avoid an illegal war. That's for sure.

xjramper

Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:15 am

If it really would detract from the original post, XJ, 75 % of the replies would.

I know...thats why Im trying to bring this back on topic for slc.

So if you want to argue Iraq with me...please feel free to create a new thread and I will be more than willing to post in that.  Smile

XJR

NumberTwelve

Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:28 am

XJR, you started already, so don't tell others that they are off topic. If you start the "They didn't help us" - "argument", so don't wonder if you get reply.

Stoney

Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:04 am

I just hate their language, it's awfully complicated (but cursing in French sounds sooo classy Big thumbs up) Else they are really friendly and well, just gotta like them. Because I really think here it's just about Americans hating the French and using them as a scapegoat.

Greetz
Stoney

jake056

Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:24 am

Who's "everbody"? I live in NYC and I never met anyone that "hates" the French. I love France and can't wait to visit again--and anyone I know who has ever been there feels the same way.

I don't speak French, but when I visit I always at least try to use some phrases. Simple, basic things. I respect them, they respect me. Never had a problem.

I think that some Americans get put off because when they visit they ASSUME everyone speaks english, and so they always start speaking in english. Wrong. I would be annoyed if someone in Manhattan came up to me and started speaking in their native tongue.

Superfly

Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:25 am

Oh avancent. Vous devez aimer la langue française. C'est la langue de l'amour. Le peuple qui détestent les Français est le peuple que je déteste. J'aime les Français par défaut. Nous ne pouvons pas détester le peuple qui construisent la Concorde, l'Airbus 340 et l'Airbus 380. Nous ne pourrions pas certainement.

Très triste.  Sad

Ainsi comment mon venir français est-il le long ?  Big grin

Stoney

Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:44 am

Je ne peux pas parler français, et j'ai du l'apprendre depuis 7 ans. Guess that sucks Wink/being sarcastic

But you're right about the rest Wink/being sarcastic

Stoney

sebolino

Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:02 am

Hey superfly, did yo use google translator ?  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

That sounds weird.

Superfly

Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:06 am

Sebolino:
Yes I did.
I guess they aren't reliable.  Sad

jasepl

Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:41 pm

Superfly, that was hilarious!

CaptOveur

Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:52 pm

I think NumberTwelve is proving what I had stated in reply 1.

the French may be arrogant, they may be elitists, they may be a lot of things.

Germans still hold the title for assholes.

-No offense to a couple very friendly Germans on here, or the very friendly French guys.

SLC1
Topic Author

Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:53 pm

Superfly,

Oh advance. You must like the French language. It is the language of the love. The people which hates the French is the people which I hate. I love the French by defect. We cannot hate the people who build the Harmony, Airbus 340 and Airbus 380. We could not certainly.

Very Sad.

Thus how my to come French is length?

Google translation in reverse.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy