Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SDLSimme
Topic Author

What Is The General Opinion Of Sweden Here?

Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:50 am

Last year, I was a foreign exchange student in Winterset, Iowa. I noticed there that many people didn't know where Sweden was located, if it was the same thing as Switzerland and so on. I'm not complaining. Heck, I don't know every single country in the world. Still, I think it would be interesting to see what people here know about Sweden or if they have been here and in that case, what they think about the country.

Yes, I'm very bored at the moment and can't think of anything better to write about  Nuts
A319-A321, A332-A333, RJ85, B733-B738, B743-B744, B752, B762-B764, B772-B773, CRJ200-CRJ700, Dash 8 Q300-Q400, ERJ 145,

TWFirst

RE: What Is The General Opinion Of Sweden Here?

Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:14 am

Sweden (Sverige) is awesome. It is a kingdom of Northern Europe, and is part of the region known as Scandinavia, which includes Nowary and Denmark. Some people consider Finland and Iceland part of Scandinavia... some people only consider Sweden and Norway. Personally, I consider Sweden, Norway and Denmark as Scandinavia.

Norway and Denmark used to be under the Swedish crown... which is why you often see the 3 crown symbol used in all 3 countries.

The capital of Sweden is Stockholm. Gothenburg and Malmo are other major cities. I believe the population of Sweden is about 9 million.

Stockholm is beautful! It lies on several different islands.

Sweden is best known for ABBA, Volvo, Saab, IKEA and Swedish meatballs  Big grin.
It has extensive social programs and high taxes.
It is a member of the EU, but does not use the euro.
It's flag is a gold cross on a blue field (same format as all the Nordic countries).
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

DABZF

Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:15 am

Sweden!!?? What? Where? Who? When? Never heard! You mean it's a country?

Cheers from Denmark  Big grin  Big grin  Big grin  Big grin  Big grin
I like driving backwards in the fog cause it doesn't remind me of anything - Chris Cornell

Stoney

Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:39 am

Swedish Chicks are hot  Love

Everybody in the US thinks Switzerland is Sweden (As you already mentioned)
I somehow like Sweden, even if I have never been there up to now, but I'd really like to go sometime.
Yeah, and Sweden, just like Switzerland, is a neutral country.
Greetz
Stoney
BAZL - Bundesamt gegen Zivilluftfahrt - royally screwing around with swiss aviation

Logan22L

Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:42 am

Last year, I was a foreign exchange student in Winterset, Iowa. I noticed there that many people didn't know where Sweden was located, if it was the same thing as Switzerland and so on.

What a shock.

Well, I don't know too much about Sweden, but I do know where it is, and that Volvos are great. I think it is perceived as a country with relatively affluent and well-educated people who don't mind the cold. Taxes are very high, but social programs are very good. I for one could deal with socialized medicine, etc. at the expense of higher taxes if it were administered efficiently and fairly. I doubt that could ever happen in the US, and no doubt it never will.

Logan
"The deeper you go, the higher you fly. The higher you fly, the deeper you go."

Sabena332

Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:46 am

Have been to Stockholm for one day in the last year, my opinion: Nice people, hot chicks and damned expensive alcohol!

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

aerobalance

Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:50 am

Always wondered if the Swedish Meatballs entree was really Swedish...
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

BCNGRO

Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:51 am

Sweden, let me think... hmm... Oh yeah, It's that country up there where rich people put their money to avoid paying taxes, isn't it?  Big grin

I know what you mean, people is really stupid. Many people here don't know which of these countries "up there" is Denmark, Finland, Sweden or Norway. And most people can't also distinguish between Iceland and Greenland. But this doesn't only happen in Spain -when I was studying in the UK I met several people who asked me if Mexico was part of Spain or something. It's amazing.

BCNGRO
At the bus station, buses stop. At the train station, trains stop. At my desk, I have a work station.

VSlover

Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:57 am

i have a very favorable view of sweden. been to stockholm only once, but i have two co-workers who are swedish (as in they still keep houses in sweden while working/living in nyc) and they have exposed me to a lot of things swedish...plus i just closed up a deal where the company--our client was also based outside of stockholm.

sweden--yup, good stuff.

whitehatter

Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:13 am

ABBA

enough said.
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

fritzi

Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:34 am

How the feck should I know where it is???

MIAspotter

Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:41 am

ABBA, Ace of Base, and SAABS! how could we forget SAABS!

And of course... fine women!

Cheers

MIAspotter
Nos vamos de Vueling?

mdsh00

Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:43 am

Sweden is best known for ABBA, Volvo, Saab, IKEA and Swedish meatballs

You forgot the Sweedish Chef (a muppets character) and A.net!  Big grin

I know where Sweeden is and that Stockholm is its capital. I have a mostly neutral opinon of the country as it doesn't seem to be one of those countries that fights to be on the world stage, a la US, UK, France, Germany, China, India. And I do recognize it for producing some popular music groups in the last 30 years, namely ABBA and Ace of Base.

Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:29 am

"Last year, I was a foreign exchange student in Winterset, Iowa. I noticed there that many people didn't know where Sweden was located, if it was the same thing as Switzerland and so on."

Surprise, Surprise.  Wink/being sarcastic

daedaeg

Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:57 am

I don't know a lot about Sweden to really base an opinion about it. It's a relatively quiet country.
Everyday you're alive is a good day.

Springbok747

Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:05 am

Have several Swedish friends here, so I do know some stuff about Sweden, even though I've never been there. All I know that it's a damn long way from Australia, and its cold...hehe.

Seriously though, ABBA, SAAB, Volvo, A.net, Ace of Base ..the best things that ever happened...and damn, Swedish girls are hot Big grin
אני תומך בישראל

FDXmech

Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:08 am

>>>Everybody in the US thinks Switzerland is Sweden (As you already mentioned)<<<

Was that you asking me where Sweden was?? I guess it's no exaggeration you think nobody here doesn't know where Sweden is. It appears you actually asked....well....everyone, even me.

Well my excuse was I thought you needed directions how to get there, I feel so silly.
You're only as good as your last departure.

QANTASforever

Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:16 am

Sweden is a prosperous western nation with a thriving economy and an educated and healthy population.

I like Sweden - Stockholm is beautiful, even if the Royal Palace does put a dampner on things.

Sweden's most popular export to Australia, without a doubt:

Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

csavel

Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:18 am

Swedish women, God are they hot.

Saabs, God are they cool.

Cloudberry jam, God is that tasty. (Especially on #1 above)

But SDLSimme, did your country really have to unleash Ace of Base and Roxette upon the world?
I may be ugly. I may be an American. But don't call me an ugly American.

Tg 747-300

Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:23 am

Sabena332: If you complain about alcohol beeing expensivein Sweden, you should visit us here in Norway.

Retail prices for alcohol is quite a lot cheaper in Sweden than in Norway. Atleast when we're talking wine and beer. Don't know how big the difference is if you prefear to visit a bar pub or resturant though.

In Norway, 8-10$ are quite normal for a pint at a pub or restaurant

tg 747-300
intentionally left blank

jcs17

Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:35 am

We'll see how I like Sweden after I visit it from 16MAR-21MAR, I'm probably only going to Stockholm and the towns around it.  Smile

I can't wait!

(and my plan to avoid high alcohol prices is to go to liquor store (called Apko...or something) buy some beer, drink it in the hotel room before heading out for the night)

-if anyone from Stockholm wants to meet up and grab a beer or three, drop me a line.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

Superfly

Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:45 am

I like Sweden a lot.
It's been years since I was last in Stockholm but they country left a positive impression on me.
Excellent government.  Big thumbs up
Although I can't stand SAABs and not a fan of Volvo either. I do like there old Diesel powered Volvo wagons from the 80s.  Smokin cool

Isn't Nokia based there?
Airliners.net is a great Swedish creation.

We had a lot of Swedish exchange students at the University I went to. I only have great things to say about Swedish women.  Big thumbs up  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

[Edited 2005-02-08 00:45:55]
Bring back the Concorde

TUNisia

Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:51 am

Sweden is great. Volvos are the best cars built. I love Ericsson mobile phones. The whole Swedish way of life and outlook just appeals to me. I rather live there than here in the USA. Most Americans are too selfish for me to understand anymore. I also love how in Sweden you can walk and camp just about anywhere in the country without fear of being on private land.
Someday the sun will shine down on me in some faraway place - Mahalia Jackson

Superfly

Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:57 am

TUNisia:
I hear whare you are coming from about the way of life in Sweden.
Sweden is high on my list of other countries I could live in.
I still prefer Canada. I can still drive an old classic American car, take long road trips and better chance of catching RUSH and/or Gino Vannelli in concert.  Smile
Bring back the Concorde

Springbok747

Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:50 am

Isn't Nokia based there?

No, Nokia is from Finland.
אני תומך בישראל

desertjets

Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:00 am

Sweden home of

And

Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

garnetpalmetto

Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:26 am

Last year, I was a foreign exchange student in Winterset, Iowa. I noticed there that many people didn't know where Sweden was located, if it was the same thing as Switzerland and so on.

I'm an American, and I'll be damned if I know where Winterset, Iowa is (other than it being in Iowa and knowing where Iowa is). I do know where Sweden is though. I do tire of these "all Americans are ignorant" generalizations, however.  Yeah sure
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

OYRJA

Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:08 pm

Sweden???????

What a Joke!! Big grin  Big grin

CaptOveur

Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:12 pm

What Is The General Opinion Of Sweden Here?

I'm pretty neutral on them Big grin
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

NorskMan

Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:48 pm

Been to Sweden, beautiful country, many fond memories as a child.

Sorry i had to add this:However, nothing beats Norway!!
yeah i know

OYRJA

Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:52 pm

Sorry i had to add this:However, nothing beats Norway!!

Yes there is.
And it's called Denmark.

SDLSimme
Topic Author

Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:32 pm

>I'm an American, and I'll be damned if I know where Winterset, Iowa is (other than it being in Iowa and knowing where Iowa is). I do know where Sweden is though. I do tire of these "all Americans are ignorant" generalizations, however.<

You missunderstood me if you think that my point with this thread was to complain about Americans being ignorant. I don't think that Americans in general are more ignorant than others. Yes, there are ignorant people in the US, but you can find ignorant people everywhere. There are many people here in Sweden too that don't know anything about America, except for what they have seen in movies like American pie  Big grin

>But SDLSimme, did your country really have to unleash Ace of Base and Roxette upon the world?<

I know, it's horrible that we have infected the world with that kind of music  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
I wish that we could have produced bands like Pink Floyd or Rush instead  Smile
A319-A321, A332-A333, RJ85, B733-B738, B743-B744, B752, B762-B764, B772-B773, CRJ200-CRJ700, Dash 8 Q300-Q400, ERJ 145,

racko

Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:28 pm

I have a fetish for blonde cuties. Anymore questions?

[email protected]

Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:29 pm

ABBA
enough said.

Now now, let's not just be negative about Sweden WhiteHatter.  Smile

Desertjets, on that Playboy cover, have Sweden finished the development of the worlds first cloning machine?  Confused

OYRJA, Suuuuuuuure....  Big grin

Anyway. My (norwegian) oppinion on Sweden:

* Famous for IKEA, SAAB, Volvo, Ericsson, ABBA, Johan Lundgren, and all that other stuff.  Innocent
* The average Norwegian believes the swedes are dumber than us, but the girls look nicer.  Smile
* Sweden ruled over Norway during the Union we had, which was ended exactly 100 years ago this year. It ended peacefully although Norway in theory had mobilised and prepared long enough to perhaps actually win a potential war.
* Sweden have always avoided conflicts and wars. (Though Germany weren't interrested in them around the mid 90s anyway...)
* Thousands of Norwegians travel over the border to buy cheap alcohol and meat.
* Most Americans will tell you that the capital of Sweden is of course Norway. (If I had a penny for every time...  Smile )
* And the best thing ever to come from Sweden is... Opeth. Great band...  Big thumbs up

[email protected]
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

SLC1

Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:34 pm

My step-father is Swedish and I have learned two swedish phrases: jävla skit, and jävla djumheter (or something like that, not sure of the spelling). My general impression is that swedes are a gruff, lovingly narcissistic breed, with good food. Also, my step-father was slightly disenchanted with the Swedish government for increasing rates on his farm, so I must say that from what I hear it's not easy to make a buck there unless you get whiplash, but what do I know.

Swedish things I love:

IKEA
Kristall
Mazarins
Risgrinsgrot (sorry I can't spell in Swedish)
Countryside & Cities

Swedish things I hate:

Julmust
Kalvies
Marzipan

On the fence:

Saab
Volvo
ABBA

and I hear the women are overrated
We're gonna do what we like to call a "jetBlue how do you do", which is slang for dumping a bunch of fuel in the ocean

707CMF

Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:06 pm

Sweden... homeland for Ikea and A.net

That's about all I know about the country...

Cheers,

SLC1

Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:17 pm

A few things to add...

To all those Norwegians I hear they're the Canada of Sweden. (How do you sink a Norwegian sub?...Knock on the door.)

Yes, everytime I hear someone say they're from Sweden, it's followed by, "Oh I was in Zurich last year, how far is where you live from there?" or, "oh, do you speak swiss"-there's two layers of ignorance.

and the Swedish language sounds really weird to me, any seconds?

another few good things about sweden...A.net, Hockey, Swedish Fish, and Bilar.

on our fridge... "Not only am I perfect, I'm Swedish too" "Everybody is entitled to my opinion" "How swede it is" etc. etc.
We're gonna do what we like to call a "jetBlue how do you do", which is slang for dumping a bunch of fuel in the ocean

cragley

Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:17 pm

Sweden has possibly the most beautiful people in the world.

Amazingly good looking people!

Smile/happy/getting dizzy

707CMF

Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:18 pm

"oh, do you speak swiss"

ROTFLMAO. Yes, I do speak Swiss !!

Cheers,

[email protected]

Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:24 pm

SLC1, hehe, that joke just sucks...  Smile I forgot to mention that the swedes appear to have a poor sence of humour. Every time I meet a swede that tells jokes about Norwegians they are always attempting to make fun of the fact that we earn a billion NOK every day from oil production. "The norwegians have so much oil that they drink it... hahaha".

You keep your jokes, and we'll sell you some oil...  Big grin

and the Swedish language sounds really weird to me, any seconds?

Yeah, I can't understand a word...  Big grin Still they are easier on the ear than the danish...  Innocent

[email protected]
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

707CMF

Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:25 pm

You keep your jokes, and we'll sell you some oil...

Exactly what my coworkers tell me at lunch !

Cheers,

SLC1

Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:36 pm

i know that the joke sucks, i've heard the same with canadians. and btw...I'm American, so I'm entitled to a bad sense of humour.

[Edited 2005-02-08 11:38:42]

and i forgot absolut

[Edited 2005-02-08 12:08:00]

Tg 747-300

Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:37 am

A friend of mine who is a nuts about roads and traffic (signals, signs etc), and who loves the germanway of architecture and city layouts, put it this way:
Sweden, Göteborg and Stockholm in particular, probably have the best roads, and trafficsystems in Europe, even the entire world. "Its heaven for cars, and so beautiful"

tg 747-300

intentionally left blank

airplay

Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:07 pm

I spent a week in Sweden a couple of years ago. Overall a lovely country with great people.

When I was in school we studied Scandinavia fairly extensively. I would guess that most Canadian adults could find Sweden on a map and even explain a few facts about it.

The most startling thing I learned during my visit, is that the area around Stockholm looks a lot like Kenora Ontario…

Smile