Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

singaporegirl
Topic Author

Better Place To Live: YVR Or SEA?

Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:25 pm

my hubby has been asking (well more like begging really! lol) me to quit flying and for us to start a family. the thing is i could go back to sq after giving birth, but i will be working under the 'flying mother' scheme (which means that you do regional flights mostly, so that you could come home to your family at the end of the day). but i've noticed that a lot of the girls that doing this scheme end up giving up flying all together.

so anyway, we've discussed about moving to either vancouver, bc or seattle, wa. we have family members in both cities, which is one of the reasons why we chose those 2 places.

i've been to both cities, but of course visiting and residing is two totally different things. i've asked my relatives in yvr and they said that it's better than sea. and my family is sea said that their city is better than yvr... hahaha.

which city do you guys think is a better place to live and to raise a family, from economical, educational system, safety, etc? it is also important for us to have a good variety of (excellent) asian restaurants, descent art scenes, etc. your inputs would be highly appreciated. thank you!

SLC1

RE: Better Place To Live: YVR Or SEA?

Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:31 pm

As far as scenes and Asian restaurants go, I'd say they're about sixes, but I like YVR better, and my adopted home is SEA (which I love) but if you want a better education system, etc. YVR probably suits you. Also, Canada may be easier if immigration is an issue. Only problem, live close to where you work. As much as traffic is a nightmare in SEA, it's even worse in YVR. They're both great cities though. (Plus I think homes are less expensive in YVR).

airplay

Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:55 am

Why are you moving to an airport? I would reccomend that you reside in one of the cities that YVR or SEA serve....

Smile

Vancouver has a much lower violent crime rate than Seattle. If thats is your limiting criteria, pick Vancouver.

Vancouver is in Canada which offers citizens medical care under the national health system. If that is a concern, again, pick Vancouver.

The US is currently governed by an idiot. An even bigger idiot than the one who recently governed Canada. If you can't stand Bush, then pick Vancouver.

Otherwise....there is very little difference in my opinion.

ScarletHarlot

Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:27 am

You're basically choosing between the US and Canada. Both cities are great. Choose your country.

daedaeg

Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:34 am

Seattle has Boeing, Mircosoft and of course Starbucks. What is there not to love?  Smile

canoecarrier

Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:36 am

Vancouver has a much lower violent crime rate than Seattle.
Seattle has one of the lowest violent crime rates of any large city in the US.
I've never felt unsafe in either city, so that either one would work for safety.

Vancouver has a larger asian community, not that Seattle's isn't big, but the difference is SEA has an "international district" YVR has a "chinatown".

As for economy, the BC economy is much better off than Washington's, if you're looking for a job, easier immigration standards, similar weather, and don't forget the Olympics are coming to BC (big help with the economy) I'd choose YVR.

roseflyer

Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:49 am

I think there is more wealth in Seattle. There are a number of world class companies with bases there like Boeing, Microsoft, Starbucks and Weyerhauser. I grew up in Mercer Island, which is a wealthy suburb of Seattle and is just a few miles east of the city. It was outrageously expensive to live there as property values are insane, but the community and schools were very good.

Public schools in the general Puget Sound region are very good. The ones in the actual city of Seattle aren't as good as the ones on the Eastside (as in Bellevue, Mercer Island, Kirkland, Redmond, and Issaquah, which is where most of the people that work for Microsoft live), but overall it is good. If you go to one of the more expensive suburbs, you will find extremely low crime rates, and great schools, but if you go further south you get into good, but average places to live that are at a more reasonable price.

I think the art scene in Seattle is better. It has always been the type of place for creativity. The whole grunge thing and music that evolved in Seattle has created a vibrant culture. Going downtown or to the Pike Place Market really shows off the city. It is kind of turisty, but overall it is a great place walk around.

Vancouver and Seattle both have pretty bad weather throughout the winter, but have nice summers, so that is no difference. Vancouver has a stronger night life scene, but again I doubt that interests you a whole lot. Both cities have very high immigrant populations from Asian countries. There is great food in both places and if you want authentically Asian you can just go to that part of town, and there are plenty of places.

Unfortunately the Southeast Asian areas in Seattle that are just north of Beacon hill and on Capital hill arn't the best places to raise a family. They are crowded and no where near as nice as Singapore (which by the way I absolutely loved when I visited a couple years ago). I think Vancouver has nicer suburbs. Both are very clean cities, but I think Vancouver is better, even though Seattle has the lowest crime rate for a city of its size in the US.

OVerall they are both wonderful places to live. The people in the Pacific Northwest are very outgoing and friendly. People love the outdoors and seem to live a good life. I now live in Indiana, and truly miss the attitude of the Northwest. It isn't a place that you will fall in love with in a short visit, but it is a great place to live. Also the mountains and constant greenery and lack of pollution are great.

WorldVoyager

Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:00 am

Vancouver's gorgeous, but unfortunately it doesn't really have any major industries...except for pulp and paper. Seattle on the other hand has an enormous corporate presence, with Boeing, Microsoft, Starbucks, Amazon, Real, etc. How there are so many rich people with expensive cars and homes in Vancouver I'll never understand.

mham001

Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:19 am

I grew up on and near Beacon Hill. From a weather standpoint, I wouldn't live in either. If gray gets you down, look south. You cannot underestimate the effect of gloomy weather.
In Seattle you can expect about 1.5 months of summer, the rest is all iffy. It is beautiful city when clear. Humms at night too.

SLC1

Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:39 am

Mham001-The rain here, though, isn't usually heavy at all, and I enjoy it. I think the climate's great, it's moderate all through the year, and you stop noticing the rain.

AA767400

Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:56 am

I agree that both cities are great, but when it comes to weather they stink unless you enjoy rain and grey days. I have a thing for solar energy and if I am not getting enough I have issues. LOL

doug_or

Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:21 am

Scarlet said exactly what I was going to. I personaly like YVR as a city a tiny bit better, but the biggest diffrence between the two cities by far is the flag that they fly, and that is what you should probably base your decision on.

BO__einG

Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:52 am

I would choose Vancouver although Seattle is gorgeous.
Vancouver is located right in the footsteps of the mountains so there is sceneries galore plus access to Whistler. Its cultural diversity and asian prescence is amazing. Night Life, I'll bet is excellent too.

Seattle is excellent city to with gorgeous views of the Puget Sound, plus it has like 3 lakes within the city so water activities are plentiful.
I like both, but I would live in Vancouver and make getaways to Seattle.

StevenUhl777

Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:44 am

Seattle is excellent city to with gorgeous views of the Puget Sound, plus it has like 3 lakes within the city so water activities are plentiful.

Green Lake is just north of city and is a very popular place to spend a nice day. I wouldn't swim in Green Lake, I don't think it's even allowed. There are paddle boats I think. Living near there is spendy, though...anywhere in city limits the sales tax is higher, and you pay the monorail tax on your car, which can be PRICEY. I would recommend Shoreline, maybe Lake Forest Park.

Lake Washington and Lake Sammamish are much larger lakes, and you see a lot of boaters on each. If you choose to live on the eastside (also expensive housing) find a home in the "I-90 corridor" as it's easier to get into/out of Seattle on I-90 as opposed to SR520. If housing costs are an issue for you, you could go further east to North Bend or Snoqualmie, also right off I-90.

I think immigration will be the biggest issue, in terms of green cards, etc. If that's the case, I'd go to YVR first, and then work on moving to the SEA area. Also, you might look at the Portland, OR area...it's slightly less expensive to live there and a little warmer as it's not near as much water. Only drawback is that the job market/economy is in worse shape than SEA or YVR.