Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DC10GUY
Topic Author

How Long Before The Iranian Attack?

Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:36 pm

Read this and then try and guess how it will be before the US attacks the Iranian Nuke plants... http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/02/13/iran.intel/index.html

Airlinerfreak

RE: How Long Before The Iranian Attack?

Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:48 pm

I don't think we are in a hurry to takeover Iran. We have to finish Iraq yet. I give it a month to 10 months though if you look and see we attacked each country two years after the other. We attacked Afghanistan in 2001, Iraq 2003 and now maybe Iran in 2005.

sccutler

Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:49 pm

Nope, not gonna happen.

But good enough that they believe it will.

Ultimate result could be better that way anyhow.

JetJock22

Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:51 pm

Whenever, I'm ready to go

Mir

Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:54 pm

Probably longer than you think, unless something turns up soon.

Not everyone in the administration is an idiot, and they've definately learned something from Iraq. Heck, I'd even venture to guess that they believe that listening to and working with other countries might be a good idea. And while Europe does talks, the US will not attack. Doing so would ruin all the progress that has been made in restoring trans-atlantic relations. Also, you have to figure that any kind of attack on Iran will not provoke any pro-American sentiment in the populace. The US will take their time on this one.

Now, if something serious develops, then there will be airstrikes, and the remote possibility of an Iraq-style invasion (hopefully not with the same outcome), but whether that happens is more in Iran's hands than America's.

-Mir

rjpieces

Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:57 pm

There is virtually 0 chances of a fullscale invasion of Iran. However, Iran will NOT be allowed to get nukes. Whether they choose not to have nukes voluntarily or have Israeli F-16s decide for them is up to them.

DC10GUY
Topic Author

Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:04 pm

Mir, I hope your right. I think Europe has more to fear with Iran having nukes than the US does. But hey, We have them surrounded. Why not finish the job ??? I'm sure that's what's being ask. 10 years from now they will asking "why didn't we do it when we where there"

Mir

Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:13 pm

There is the fear of inaction, sure. That's what seems to have pushed this administration to do most everything that it has done.

I, for one, do believe that one day in the not-too-distant future, America will invade Iran. Bush believes in it, and thus his cabinet does too. However, for their many failings, they are not stupid enough to have another Iraq. They will wait for the right time, and with the proper amount of support. They could make the UN deal with the problem again, and when it doesn't (it won't - the UN has its hands tied in dealing with these kind of issues because of the national sovreignty rule) they can again say that since the UN didn't do it's job, the US will have to do it (sound familiar?), and here we go again. Hopefully, they will do some proper planning this time around.

I say not-too-distant future, but I mean in terms of years. I would guess that within two years we'll see significant action in Iran.

-Mir

rjpieces

Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:19 pm

I, for one, do believe that one day in the not-too-distant future, America will invade Iran. Bush believes in it, and thus his cabinet does too.

That is bull, David. A fullscale of invasion of Iraq was on the map for years; A fullscale invasion of Iran is barely talked about. The whole point of the invasion of Iraq was to cause a wave in the region, and to rebuild the entire Middle East, and in many ways it has caused that wave and history will judge whether that caused the Middle East to be rebuilt. A fullscale invasion of Iran would be pretty much pointless from the US point of view; Destroying their nuclear sites, however, is very much on our agenda.

Bush has never given off ANY hints that he wants to invade Iran.

DC10GUY
Topic Author

Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:28 pm

I think the CNN piece is a little bit of a hint ...

rjpieces

Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:36 pm

Again, I think we have every intention to attack Iran's nuclear plants, or let Israel attack them. Spy drones searching for sites would seem to indicate that an airstrike is being planned; Moving heavy tanks, aircraft, and the related items that come with them to military bases surrounding Iran would indicate an invasion.

DC10GUY
Topic Author

Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:41 pm

I think an Attack is all we are planning. The B2's could wipe all that stuff off the map in one night. I say before Dubya is out of office Iran will be attacked. 60% chance the US will do it 40% the Israelis do it.

Mir

Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:47 pm

The CNN piece is only saying that the US may or may not be spying on Iran using UAVs or satellites. I think that they are, and I should hope that they would be.

Bush has never given off ANY hints that he wants to invade Iran.

He: 1) named Iran as part of an "Axis of Evil," at a time when it meant "threat to American security." 2) Was pretty clear in his Inaugural Address that he was serious about ending tyrannical regimes throughout the world. He hasn't said it outright, but I would say that the hints are there.

He wants to do it, in my mind that is clear. But I will admit that he isn't so obsessed with it that he will do whatever it takes to invade. The reason I said two years is that I think that Iran isn't going to play softball. They want things their way, they want their nuclear weapons, and they might get frisky if the talks start to go badly for them. So I think that Iran and the US will each go halfway on the road to an invasion, and we'll get one. Probably not a full one, but I really don't see how at least a limited attempt wouldn't happen.

-Mir

rjpieces

Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:47 pm

I say before Dubya is out of office Iran will be attacked.

If they refuse to give it up, then yes, they will most likely be attacked.

60% chance the US will do it 40% the Israelis do it.

I've thought a lot about this one.....I'm not really sure, but either way it will be a joint effort with each side offering something. Israel probably has better intelligence on what the Iranians have. If the US attacks, our target list will likely be mostly Israeli based. If Israel attacks, they will have to receive US support in terms of satellite imagery, refueling, etc. No matter who actually does attack, I'd imagine that the IDF is working closely with the US in terms of deciding what and how to attack.

rjpieces

Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:50 pm

He: 1) named Iran as part of an "Axis of Evil," at a time when it meant "threat to American security." 2) Was pretty clear in his Inaugural Address that he was serious about ending tyrannical regimes throughout the world. He hasn't said it outright, but I would say that the hints are there.

Both true, but it still doesn't mean Bush wants an invasion. A simple look at the three Axis of Evil countries--Iraq, Iran, and North Korea--And it is clear that Iraq is by far the easiest to conquer. A fullscale of invasion of Iran or North Korea opens a whole new bag of worms.

Probably not a full one, but I really don't see how at least a limited attempt wouldn't happen.

What do you think about limited, precision airstrikes to destroy all of their nuclear facilities.

Mir

Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:03 pm

Both true, but it still doesn't mean Bush wants an invasion.

Oh, I think that he wants an invasion. I also think that he's realistic enough to know that it's not going to be easy, and that he really should finish with Iraq first before moving on. But I also think that he's put himself in the position where Iran can (and I believe will) force his hand. Condolezza Rice told him during the lead-in to the Iraq war that the downside to being tough in diplomatic talks is that you have to follow through on what you say you'll do.

What do you think about limited, precision airstrikes to destroy all of their nuclear facilities.

They would be effective in getting rid of the nuclear weapons, but I think that there is a good chance that they would increase anti-American sentiment in the Iranian population. I can't help but get the feeling that Bush's whole line about "when you stand for freedom, America stands with you" in the Inauguration speech was intended mostly for the Iranians. Doing a few bombings and getting the hell out doesn't really constitute standing behind someone, and they might feel a bit hung out to dry (IIRC, something similar happened while we were trying to incite revolt in Iraq), and thus rally behind the current government, or turn to terrorism as a means of venting their anger. Very counterproductive from that standpoint. The same thing would happen (on a larger scale) if Israel were to do the bombings. If there's one country that a good part of the Middle East hates/resents more than the US, it's Israel.

Basically, there's really no easy solution to this. But in the master chess game of international politics, is there ever an easy solution?
-Mir

solarix

Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:17 pm

I think Iran will feel provoked and launch something at Israel. Once this happens all hell will break loose.

dragon-wings

Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:36 pm

If Israel gets involved with Iran you can forget about peace in the Middle East.

Mir

Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:36 pm

I think Iran will feel provoked and launch something at Israel. Once this happens all hell will break loose.

Once Iran does, all the other Middle Eastern countries that are out for Israel's blood will feel free to do so as well, and we might just have the next World War on our hands. That would be ugly. And it would also mean the end of Israel - such a small country couldn't survive that kind of a struggle, even taking into consideration how good the Israeli military is.

It is in everybody's interest that Iran not get nuclear weapons. The exact method of how to achieve that is what is up for debate. But something has to be decided eventually. The best solution in my mind would be to get rid of the nuclear sites, and then have another go at nation-building. I don't much cherish the though of that, but as I said above, we have to hold true to our word that we will help the Iranians overthrow their government. There are a few problems to this:

1) If Iran sees an invasion coming, it's going to launch whatever weapons it has at Israel. Therefore, the missiles would have to be destroyed before the signs of an invasion began to be released. So massive amounts of troop movements would have to happen all at once. It would be a week at the very least before something could actually be done, which is plenty of time for the Iranian government to rally the troops and the people against the US.

2) The world will not support the airstrikes unless they know that Iran has the weapons. Iran will not pull a North Korea and announce that they have the weapons, because the moment that they do, Israel will be coming over, US or no US. American intelligence isn't held in the highest regard of late, and it might be hard to justify airstrikes. And the world's support will be needed when it comes time to deal with regime change in Iran. This is one we can't do alone, especially if Iraq is still going on.

3) Iran, even a non-nuclear one, is going to be quite difficult to invade.

I'd love not to have to do the invasion, but Bush has really set himself for having to invade if he wants to keep his word. For Bush, keeping his word is extremely important - it's one of his strengths (and weaknesses, but that's another topic).

-Mir

DC10GUY
Topic Author

Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:45 pm

If Iran did do anything with a nuke, They would be nuked. And that would be the end of the invasion question... I don't think they are that dumb.

Mir

Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:50 pm

If Iran did do anything with a nuke, They would be nuked. And that would be the end of the invasion question... I don't think they are that dumb.

Not necessarily. For the US, nuclear weapons are a very dangerous PR game. Politically, it is unacceptable to cause the massive collateral damage that a nuclear weapon would cause, especially when we have so much conventional firepower. We would lose lots of support right away.

Iran is not stupid enough to start something of that magnitude, but if they feel pressured, all bets are off as they won't really care what happens. That's why all sides need to tread lightly.

-Mir

phxairfan

Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:45 pm

"Once Iran does, all the other Middle Eastern countries that are out for Israel's blood will feel free to do so as well, and we might just have the next World War on our hands. That would be ugly. And it would also mean the end of Israel - such a small country couldn't survive that kind of a struggle, even taking into consideration how good the Israeli military is."

God knows they've only been doing it for the past 50 or so years. Israel will be fine.

bill142

Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:02 pm

Bush maybe willing to invade, but I highly doubt its allies will be too willing to commit forces. Both UK and Australian leaders have recieved alot of critisim over the whole Weapons of Mass Destruction affiar. Although Bush and John Howard won't be running for President or Prime Minister next election so to some extent they have nothing to loose.

Maybe the US should just butt out and let the EU handle this one, the more pressing concerns for the US are Iraq, Afganistan, North Korea and the economy.

L410Turbolet

Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:41 pm

Anyone cares to explain me why Iran ended up on Bush's "Axis of Evil" list and Pakistan did not??? Could it be because of double standards, perhaps??? Musharraf - good dictator, Khamenei - bad dictator...

whitehatter

Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:48 pm

Some basic geography lessons are needed here.

For the hawks, go and buy a map. Any cheap world map will do.

Then compare the size of Iraq and Iran. You can fit Iraq in a corner of Iran.

This is not arrogance or sarcasm, it's basic fact. Iran is HUGE, has a motivated and much better equipped military and over sixty million people. Invade Iran and an occupier will need troops in millions. Assuming that your forces ever get as far as staging a complete takeover that is.

Secondly, Iran's government is the result of a popular revolution and not imposed upon them as was Saddam. Iranians will not take kindly to an invader, especially one linked to the Shah and his regime that they deposed. So the 'insurgency' will this time comprise a fair old chunk of that sixty million.

Go away, forget Iran.

[Edited 2005-02-14 11:48:18]

Gary2880

Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:56 pm

this may not happen but it popped in while i was reading this, if america or isreal bombed irans nuclear sites, without an invasion. what happens if a 10 20 30 thousand iranians cross the boarder and give you the worst insurgencey possible and a whole new iran iraq war, if there is no physical troops in iran they might go looking for some right next door

highly unlikley i know but nothings impossible, just another angle on it

keno

Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:09 pm

The biggest difference between Iran and Iraq & North Korea is that, it is the only state within the "axis of evil" crap that is actively engaging in international talks - something that Saddam & Kim Jong-Il absolutely refused to do. Iran has a lot of supporters in the EU - unlike Iraq & North Korea who has no friends to gain support from.

As long as Iran is willing to talk, US would have no excuse to touch it. Libya, only very recently viewed by the US/West as a "pariah" state, is now well on track to full diplomatic normalization. The same will happen to Iran.

Unfortunately, I fear that large portion of Americans would also buy into GWB's lies and propaganda on why they should invade Iran someday. Heck, he managed to convice ignorant Americans that US should go into Iraq because of WMD - surely he could come up with another make-belief story for Iran?

NumberTwelve

Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:20 pm

KEno, that's no argument. Remember Iraq? Lots of people warned the US admin, told them not to start the war.
UN people who were searching weapons didn't find the weapons the US admin was talking about and was showing in a cheap and stupid PPT presentation.

As long as there are people who say "Whenever I'm ready to go", the US admin is interested in such awful wars.

Maybe not enough US soldiers came back in coffins. Maybe should be more to show that it's a war, not a Nintendo Game.

Gary2880

Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:28 pm

quite agree, my rr list is busy latley! aslong as bush has sheep that will follow blindly there will be trouble

IndianGuy

Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:47 pm

I don't think we are in a hurry to takeover Iran. We have to finish Iraq yet.

Aah! at long last the confession! So America did go into Iraq to "FINISH" off the country!

Springbok747

Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:29 pm

Aah! at long last the confession! So America did go into Iraq to "FINISH" off the country!

Um..no. America didn't go to Iraq to "finish" it...but to get rid of Saddam..and they did that. Iraqis held free elections for the first time in 50 years. Isn't that amazing? Would this have happened if Saddam was still in power? No way in hell. Even though most of the World feels that this Iraq war was bad..I think something good came out of it. Iraq is on its way to becoming a democracy...and they wouldn't have even dreamt about this under Saddam.

And IndianGuy, that statement you quoted there..it was made by a 13-15 year old kid..and you're dumb enough to take that seriously.

NumberTwelve

Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:42 pm

Springbock, you are talking about Saddam HUSSEIN, the man who got supported by the US for years and years? A dictator who tortured his own people and the former US president GB said that the Kurds who died due to chemical weapons have been killed by the Iranians?

You are talking about Saddam HUSSEIN?
The bad dictator who was a good dictator in former times?

And you mean Iran, a country that had a dictator called Shah Reza Pahlevi, a man who tortured his own people?

In my opinion the US should be ashamed what they did to the Iranian and Iraqi people, already before September 11th.

They supported Saddam Hussein to fight against Iran, then they "suddenly" saw that Saddam isn't good any more because Saddam didn't just want to invade Iran but also Kuwait and from that time on Saddam is bad?

The US interested in democracy in Arabic countries? Not really! They are interested in democracy as long as pro US politicians are on power, like in Egypt. Otherwise they would fight against democracy.

[Edited 2005-02-14 13:46:06]

simo82

Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:34 pm

I think (also HOPE) that not the Usa not Israel will attack or flight a war against Iran. For a couple, but important factors:

1) The opposition of EU again the attack will be much stronger than the one we had for Iraq. Eu nations have a lot of business in Iran and sure that they don't want it to blow up and to loose their economical power in that country. Just think of all the flights to THR. ( AF, AZ, LH, KL, OS..) Lots of flights=lots of business

2) To ensure their position EU countries have already warned Israel that if they get involved in attacks again Iran this will seriously damage the diplomatic (read as economical) relation between the country and EU. As EU countries are the major economic partner of Israel this sure will let the Israeli administration think twice before attacking.

3)Don't forget that in Iraq Sciite won the elections, and that Iran is almost totally Sciite...this could lead to more attacks against USA troop in Iraq making thing get ever worse

CIAO
Simo

Mir

Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:35 pm

Anyone cares to explain me why Iran ended up on Bush's "Axis of Evil" list and Pakistan did not???

Having Pakistan on the naughty list wouldn't be much incentive for them to help us out in the war in Afghanistan. Bush even went as far as to put them on the nice list, and they get lots of US presents. I'm not sure that they've really returned the investment.

Then compare the size of Iraq and Iran. You can fit Iraq in a corner of Iran.

This is not arrogance or sarcasm, it's basic fact. Iran is HUGE, has a motivated and much better equipped military and over sixty million people. Invade Iran and an occupier will need troops in millions. Assuming that your forces ever get as far as staging a complete takeover that is.

I agree completely with what you're saying. But here's the thing: there are those who think that Bush and his crew really and truly do believe that they can do it. Whether they think that they're guided by God, or that nothing can stop the American superpower, or whatever, they're not going to be put off by the difficulty of something once they have their mind set to it.

Now that Powell is out, there is nobody at the top table who does not fall into this line of thinking (scary thought). They will not be afraid to act, despite the fact that invading Iran, while possible, is exponentially more difficult than invading Iraq.

That said, they also understand that if diplomacy will work, there is no point in wasting the money and lives. And so they'll wait until the talks start to show signs of failure until they start to go into war mode. The problem is, they like to set unrealistic expectations for the talks. I think we can see where this is going.

So, we have:
- a president who wants regime change in Iran, and is not afraid to use force to do it should diplomacy fail.
- a cabinet who is pretty much incapable of thinking on their own when it comes to making policy.
- a congress that, when it comes to the matter of invading another country, doesn't have the balls to stand up to Bush
- unrealistic expectations for the talks with a country that, like any other country in its position, is not going to give up their weapons without a fight.

The likely scenario: the talks come to a solution, but a halfway one (you're never going to get anything but a compromise when you go into negotiations). And it becomes something very much like what happened with Saddam in Iraq - inspectors get pushed around a bit, more talks, more inspections, even more talks, etc. Meanwhile, the US intelligence, in their hunt to find nuclear weapons in Iran, falls prey to the "better safe than sorry" doctrine, and things go on from there much in the manner that they did with Iraq. Except that this time, although the US would win the conflict, it would be far more expensive and far more bloody.

I really don't want war with Iran, but I don't see much else happening. Call me a pessimist if you like. What would probably be best is for the US to stay out of this. Nuclear weapons in the hands of Iran are not a threat to the US. If Israel feels threatened enough to act, then they can do so, and would have our support. They will face quite a lot of backlash for that, and we'll be obligated to help them defend themselves, but that will be a lot easier than going on the offense with a full-scale invasion of Iran.

-Mir

Twistedwhisper

Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:00 am

There is virtually 0 chances of a fullscale invasion of Iran. However, Iran will NOT be allowed to get nukes. Whether they choose not to have nukes voluntarily or have Israeli F-16s decide for them is up to them.

Utter nonsense! I think you have to explain that logic for me?
Are you saying that if Iran violate the non-spread agreement, Israel (who has also violated the non-spread agreement) will send F-16:s to influence the Irani government policy?

What planet are you from?

iakobos

Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:26 am

Iran - peacetime
3 army headquarters (supposedly 6 to 9 army corps)
10 full active divisions incl. 3 armored (good own MBT production + updated T-72s), 1 airborne, 1 special forces, good amount of missiles incl. intermediate range ballistic.
Armed forces full-time personnel : half a million +
Draftable in very short time: 1.5 to 2 million (my guess)
Point to which soldiers are fully prepared to go without blinking an eye: death.

Clear ?

Falcon84

Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:32 am

Whenever, I'm ready to go.

And on top of everthing else, JetJock, a warmonger? Lovely. You that thirsty to kill people?

I, for one, do believe that one day in the not-too-distant future, America will invade Iran.

The U.S. does not have the troops available to invade Iran. Iran isn't Iraq, in size and in the shape of their military. I think you'd have to send in AT LEAST 500,000 troops into Iran, and the U.S. simply doesn't have that much manpower right now.

dl021

Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:41 am

Does anyone really think that Iran will be invaded?

This thread is a waste of time promulgated by Rsmiths soulmate in his infinite paranoia.

Iakobos..... Remember when Iraq had the 5th largest army in the world? By the end of a 30 day air campaign and a 72 hour land campaign they had the second largest army in their own country? The problem would not be in defeating their military, that we could probably do in two weeks (no bavado there, just reality) if it was necessary and we had the troops to spare right now. The real issue would be in managing the country afterwards. Imagine the problems of Iraq times 20. That would be a black hole for lives and money.

DC10GUY
Topic Author

Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:17 am

DL021, Get off your soap box dude ... The thread is how long before the "attack" not the invasion. Read before you start your rant. OK, Thanks dude.

11Bravo

Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:34 am

Long-time Lurker First Post

For those of you who would like to read a rather more serious piece on a potential strike against the Iranian nuclear facilities check this out:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ops/iran-strikes.htm

b757300

Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:48 am

How Long Before The Iranian Attack?

I have it from good sources from inside the Republican Party that the attack will be after the 2006 mid-term elections. Not only will this insure that we capture 60 Senate seats but will also allow to increase our lead in the House and give enough votes to authorize war with Iran.

The other reason we have to wait until late 2006 or early 2007 is because Halliburton is so busy right now pumping all the oil out of Iraq that they can't handle all the oil we plan to pump once we take over Iran.

There will also be a draft starting late this year in preparation for the war. The plan is to draft everyone who voted for John Kerry and is under the age of 30. This is all part to insure a Republican majority for the next 35 years.

End of Sarcasm...

DC10GUY
Topic Author

Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:56 am

11Bravo, That's a scary story. The more I read about it, the more I'm asking When ??? Unfortunately the answer is ....soon.

DC10GUY
Topic Author

Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:57 am

B757-300, Sounds like the plan not sarcasm,

yukimizake

Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:15 pm

"For those of you who would like to read a rather more serious piece on a potential strike against the Iranian nuclear facilities check this out:

" target=_blank>http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ops/iran-strikes.htm"

In this article they propose launching air strikes at a nuclear power plant, that is insane, how many people will die of radiation poisoning?

"I have it from good sources from inside the Republican Party that the attack will be after the 2006 mid-term elections. Not only will this insure that we capture 60 Senate seats but will also allow to increase our lead in the House and give enough votes to authorize war with Iran.

The other reason we have to wait until late 2006 or early 2007 is because Halliburton is so busy right now pumping all the oil out of Iraq that they can't handle all the oil we plan to pump once we take over Iran.

There will also be a draft starting late this year in preparation for the war. The plan is to draft everyone who voted for John Kerry and is under the age of 30. This is all part to insure a Republican majority for the next 35 years.

End of Sarcasm..."

Where does the sarcasm begin? It's kind of scary but the first two paragraphs (especially the first one) don't even sound all that sarcastic now.

11Bravo

Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:09 pm

Yukimizake:
In this article they propose launching air strikes at a nuclear power plant, that is insane, how many people will die of radiation poisoning?

The website, GlobalSecurity.org, is not "proposing" or advocating anything one way or the other. The article is intended as an objective analysis of potential air strikes against Iranian nuclear sites.

Furthermore, the article specifically says:

"Barring further delays, the fuel for the reactor at Bushehr is also slated to be delivered in 2005, with reactor operations commencing some months after delivery."

Currently, there is no fuel at the Bushehr reactor, and thus, no radiation risk.

As an aside, I find it ironic that the reactor is named Bushehr in the first place.

mham001

Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:53 pm

One way or another, Iran cannot be allowed to develope nuclear weapons. Keep in mind they are the last country whos ideological goal is the annihlation of their neighbor, Isreal.
Bush will wait for the weak euros to talk and talk and nothing will happen except Iran will succeed in stalling. The europeans will be afraid of losing a few francs and get nothing.
The problem is, Americans are quite popular among the young in Iran right now, but any military srtike will alienate another generation. The moderates will unite with the radicals.
It would be best to have Israel do airstrikes and be done with it. They already hate Israel, nothing lost. Egypt, Jordan, Saudi Arabia will blow hard in public, but turn the other way. Who believes they want the balance of power shifted so far towards Iran? Iran is already the local powerhouse.

To whoever asked, the reason Pakistan was not in the Axis of evil, they were no longer openly supporting outside terrorist organizations. By that time, they had cut ties with the Taliban and were cooperating. Iran has been and continues to openly support a variety of groups, most notably Hezbellah.

lehpron

Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:20 pm

>>"The whole point of the invasion of Iraq was to cause a wave in the region, and to rebuild the entire Middle East, and in many ways it has caused that wave and history will judge whether that caused the Middle East to be rebuilt."<<

Uh I am sorry, this is absolutely and completely wrong, the bolded text does not attach to the rest.

The point was that we thought Iraq under Saddam was a threat, peri-the heck-od. Everyting else was an afterthought. Accept it now, otherwise you are spreading a lie, whether or not u believe in it is irrelevent. We did not go there to "cause a wave in the region, and to rebuild the entire Middle East", you're actin like you think you're all that.

mham001

Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:41 pm

The point was that we thought Iraq under Saddam was a threat, peri-the heck-od. Everyting else was an afterthought. Accept it now, otherwise you are spreading a lie, whether or not u believe in it is irrelevent. We did not go there to "cause a wave in the region, and to rebuild the entire Middle East", you're actin like you think you're all that.

Those reasons were indeed discussed before going. If you didn't hear them, you weren't listening, in fact it was written by Pearle/Armitage in some papers whos name Ive forgotten-10 years prior.
Granted, Bush used WMD to sell to the public as the primary reason, but there was little doubt that there was much, much more to be had. In the grand scheme of things, lack of wmds will be nothing but a historical footnote if Bush is successful. This we won't know for 10-20 years, but after 2 years, there is succeesses happning.
It is quite interesting to hear the Bush-haters when they start putting up statues of Bush in the middle east.

yukimizake

Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:11 pm

"Granted, Bush used WMD to sell to the public as the primary reason, but there was little doubt that there was much, much more to be had. In the grand scheme of things, lack of wmds will be nothing but a historical footnote if Bush is successful."

In spite of the efforts of republican hack chumps to rewrite history I doubt if this small fact will be forgotten any time soon. Can you say 'Freedom Fries'

"It is quite interesting to hear the Bush-haters when they start putting up statues of Bush in the middle east."

Which statues are you talking about?, the only statues of Bush in the Middle East are effigies being burned in demonstrations?

IndianGuy

Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:38 pm

Anyone cares to explain me why Iran ended up on Bush's "Axis of Evil" list and Pakistan did not???

Becauze the Pakistani military leadership isnt too hesitant about kissing Yankee ass if it helps them stay in power. As long as they continue to get general-friendly dollars which allows them to lead lifestyles that an average Paki can only dream about, they dont mind letting the American ambassador play the role that the Viceroy used to pre-independence! THAT is the difference.

Musharraf bends over when asked to, while Saddam showed them the finger!