Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Sabena332
Topic Author

So Much For Mercedes Benz Quality/Customer Service

Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:57 am

After I got into my car this morning, I wanted to adjust the drivers seat because my girlfriend drove the car yesterday evening, I pressed the "1" button of the seat memory but nothing happened, I started the engine and pressed again the "1" button of the seat memory but nothing happened, then I tried to adjust the seat with the "forward/backward" button but nothing happened, I tried the same with the passenger's seat but noting happened.

I was seriously pissed because I had to drive to work in a rather unpleasant posture (I am way taller than my girlfriend), not to mention that I also looked like a complete fool.

I left work earlier to drive to the next Mercedes Benz dealer, some mechanic looked at the car for almost 45 minutes, then the genius came out of his garage and told me: "This is an electric problem". Wow, I never thought that it is an electric problem when you can't adjust electric seats anymore  Yeah sure.

He told me also that they need two or three days to fix the problem. "Ok, no problem" I said and went over to the customer service desk to ask the bitch behind it for a replacement car, "Not available at the moment" was her answer before she continued to type on her computer keyboard, I told her: "I would appreciate it when you would make some car available then", she told me then that she can't decide it by her own and that her boss is out for lunch. So I had to wait another 30 minutes until the guy came from his lunch break, I told him the same story but he said: "This is a difficult situation", he dissapeared in his office to make approximately 10 telephone calls with whoever, then he came and asked if I could wait an hour, another customer would return a car which I could use then, so I wandered for an hour through the showroom until the guy appeared, after 2.5 hours I could finally left the car dealers yard with a C-Class.

I am really pissed about Mercedes Benz in general, firstly is it unacceptable that a car, which is only a little bit over 2 months old, has already such technical problems, and secondly was the treatment at the car dealer not the best, it is a joke to let customers wait for over 2 hours, I expected more flexibility and at least a coffee during I was waiting.

Patrick

[Edited 2005-02-14 17:00:03]
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

BA380

RE: So Much For Mercedes Benz Quality/Customer Service

Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:00 am

that's utterly unacceptable. I would expect a1 service from MB (or BMW or Audi) for a new car that has gone tech - not hours of wating around.

Shame!
cabin crew: doors to automatic and cross-check...

UTA_flyinghigh

Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:01 am

Wow Patrick, you really are a patient guy.
If I had spent that kind of money you would have heard me screaming "rhaa" all the way to Stuttgart.
I'm going with Audi when my trusty Willoumobile shall (...) need replacing.

UTA
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

aa777flyer

Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:02 am

Patrick-
Yes Mercedes qualitly has dropped significantly in the past few years, as has their customer service. Merdcedes has even dropped their complimentry service progrom for 2005. This really sucks since, BMW, SAAB and Jaguar still offer some type of complimentry service program. (I think even Mercury is offering it on some models). I was about to buy a Mercedes last year, but opted for a Lexus instead. OUTSTANDING customer service AND NO PROBLEMS!!
The TSA was created to make the post office look efficient!

ybacpa

Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:04 am

Unfortunately your experience isn't one of a kind... I've all but given up on having mine repaired, instead I just deal with the lights on the dash, seats not staying in position, and noises from the transmission. I pity the poor sole that buys that car when my lease is up.
SkyTeam: The alliance for third rate airlines finally getting their act together!

racko

Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:08 am

Indeed very sad customer service. When my BMW 325Ci had to a have an inspection (nothing broken, just the usual check) I was given a 530i for one day until I can get my car back. And I bought the car used, not new at the dealership! That's how companies selling expensive cars should treat their customers.

FLVILLA

Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:10 am

My uncle has had similar problems with MB customer service, they're pretty ignorant on alot of things.

We recently took delivery of our new BMW 530i and it came up with a problem on the iDrive so luckily enough our journey was taking us past dealer in Norwich anyway, they could not have been anymore courteous. The guy who sold us the car came running over to us in the car park, we told him what the problem was and he apologized and quickly hurried it round back to a mechanic and told us to go inside for a coffee and some cake. 15 minutes later car pulls up, he comes out explains what had happened and what they had done, apologized again and we were on our way. He phoned two times after that just to make sure everything was OK. Another good thing is that if you've bought a car of them you can park it in there car park for free, then just a short walk into the city.
I hope in life i can work to live, not live to work

Arniepie

Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:19 am

About Mercedes I can only say this (had a ML once and an E-class 270CDI):
-build quality bad on the ML good on the E
-mechanically overall Good
-1 year warranty is just ludicrous for this price and the after sale service is ALFA ROMEO- like (sorry ALFISTI but the truth is hard sometimes )
-comfort excellent on the E, a disappointment on the ML
-Electrical/electronics ===> HORROR

So we are not going to buy these cars anymore until they prove they changed their ways.
[edit post]

simo82

Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:24 am

I too must say that I've noticed that Mercedes Benz quality has dropped in the last years especially with the E-class, my father's company driver had a lot of problems with that car, they had to change it now they bought a Lexus which seams to be very reliable and also very nice in my opinion.

I think that it's more or less a problem with all the leading brands in the car market...my friend had problems with Audi costumer service, he was given a WN Polo when his new Audi A8 was in for repair...

CIAO
Simo

UTA_flyinghigh

Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:28 am

Let's forward this thread to [email protected]  Laugh out loud

UTA
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

PositiveClimb

RE: So Much For Mercedes Benz Quality/Customer Ser

Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:35 am

Have to agree with you, Patrick

My parents drove an E-class for about six years (bought new and treated like a child...  Laugh out loud). Somehow, the car seemed to be a little homesick, as it wanted to see the dealers' garage at least every three months...
The problems really reflected the missing quality: tank indicator inoperative, electric sunroof stuck open (fortunately during a holiday in spain, therefore no rain problem), parktronic sensors defective, hairline cracks in all brake discs (although my parents are everything but fast drivers), hydraulic cylinder for the clutch cracked (resulting in a nice puddle of hydraulic fluid under the clutch pedal), inoperative door opener, power windows faulty and so on....

Besides that, the car was really nice, a pleasure to drive... But my parents decided not to buy another MB (because of the poor quality), but almost the complete opposite concerning reputation - a Kia Sorento. Really nice car, very good quality, not a single problem since purchasing one year ago.

So Patrick, wish you all the best with your car, MB are really nice cars if everything works properly. Hope the problem with the seat is just a 'Kinderkrankheit' Big grin

Regards,
Fabian/PositiveClimb
A380 - love at first flight!

RNOcommctr

Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:38 am

Sure do love the way those German cars look and drive... BUT... according to Consumer Reports, the quality on all of them has gone way downhill in recent years in terms of initial and long-term reliability. I have heard the manufacturers say in their defense that the problems occur because the cars have so much new technology. But I say that if the technology hasn't been thorougly proven and tested to be reliable, don't put it on the cars!

You guys from Germany, don't get defensive, because I say these things knowing full well American cars leave a lot to be desired in terms of reliability. Guess we'd all better stick to Japanese cars. Although the Korean cars are improving in recent years, and have a price advantage over the Japanese... so far.
Active loading only, ma'am, keep it moving!

yooyoo

Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:39 am

Good on you for being very patient with all involved.

I on the other hand would have "snapped".......but that's no way to get things done.

Andreas  Big thumbs up
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T

desertjets

Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:03 am

By most reliability measures American cars are doing better by a strong margin when compared to European cars. But bear in mind the overall spread of scores is pretty narrow between the top and bottom performers.

Certainly the service you received would be unacceptable for any make of car. If you have the option you may just want to take your SLK to another dealer.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

slider

Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:30 am

No coincidence that Mercedes is having quality problems, IMHO.

You can sum it up in two words, reflective of the merger: DAIMLER-CHRYSLER.

I chronicled my Dodge problems in other threads, and it turns out that Chrysler and Dodge have NOT gotten the improvement in quality expected from the marriage with Daimler-Benz, and outside of styling cues, hasn't benefitted them at all.

Furthermore, the quality culture (or LACK thereof) seems to have rubbed off in a negative way back to Mother Mercedes.

Sorry you're having problems Sabena- join the crew, amigo.

gigneil

Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:33 am

By most reliability measures American cars are doing better by a strong margin when compared to European cars.

Not according to Consumer Reports, every issue of which I read.

American cars have continued to steadily decline in reliability, especially compared to Volvos and SAABs.

N

fbgdavidson

Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:34 am

My father had an E-Class when the old shape came out a few years back and had no problems with it in the 18months he had it.....after buying a British car which he kept for a year because it was impractical he traded down to a S500 and we have done really well with it. Only problem in 3years has been the starter motor which according to our dealer was only the second one he'd seen go wrong since the new S came out.

On the other hand we had friends who bought a C Class and have had numerous problems with it, not sure the build quality on the cheaper Mercs is up to the bulletproof standard of Mercs of old. When their 3yr lease came to an end they got a Saab which they are very pleased with.

PositiveClimb, my mother was looking at getting an ML55 and the dealer actually recommended NOT to buy one because of quality issues. Apparently they are built in the US and don't come up to scratch! She didn't buy a Kia Sorrento though AAARGGHHH! Korean cars!
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

Skyway1

Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:42 am

Geesh.....

I actually turned down a loaner car a couple of times when my Cavalier(yes Cavalier) had warranty work performed. I've stepped up to a nicer vehicle and have noticed even better treatment when I have had it in for service. You shouldn't recieve that kind of service period!

Chris
KNUK, KNUK, KNUK woowoowoo

gigneil

Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:55 am

Your mother was interested in a race-enhanced SUV, FBG? Sparky woman, eh?

Anyway, I had an ML55 for 4 years. I had only minor trouble with it.

N

cha747

Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:05 am

Again, slightly off topic - are Mercedes more "puncture prone?" My Dad has a 2002 E320 4Matic and has had 3 flat tires in the past 3 years. Coincidence or something that comes along with owning a Mercedes?
Piedmontgirl was always right

SN-A330

Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:11 am

... I also looked like a complete fool

That has got nothing to do with your car!  Big grin

Regards, SN-A330
I would rather be flying...

Sabena332
Topic Author

Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:13 am

Thanks for all your replies, I am really surprised that so many other people have/had problems with their Benz too. I always thought these cars are quality.

Earlier this evening I wrote an eMail to the Mercedes customer service, let's see how they react.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

fbgdavidson

Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:39 am

Your mother was interested in a race-enhanced SUV, FBG? Sparky woman, eh?

Not really! Father was pressurising her into getting it so he could have something fast to drive if he ever needed to borrow her car Big grin
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

Springbok747

Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:32 am

Mercedes seem to be going own the drain regarding the build quality of their cars. When my mum got a new C-class last year, after a week, water was pouring out of the airconditioner vents! Haha..it was crazy, we found out that the fault was due to a leak in some pipe, and it was dumping all the water/fluid in the vents.

Also, for some weird reason, the right indicator lights in the mirror wouldn't work. They replaced the entire thing...and all these incidents happened within the same week! Annoying little problems...but the car has been going great since then.
אני תומך בישראל

gigneil

Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:04 am

Again, slightly off topic - are Mercedes more "puncture prone?"

Most "upscale" cars are, because they have lower profile tires.

I swear I get a flat tire in my S4 every month.

Haha..it was crazy, we found out that the fault was due to a leak in some pipe, and it was dumping all the water/fluid in the vents.

That happened to me in my BMW once, too. Its because of where the Germans seem to route the piping that makes them susceptible to bending and breaking.

N

andersjt

Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:11 am

My 2003 E-320 (my 3rd Mercedes) has been nothing short of an electrical nightmare. In my two years of ownership, I have had to take it in 12 times for one problem after another. What is worse is the lack of wanting to follow-up on the Mercedes Benz. If I complain to them about service I receive at the dealership, they regretfully tell me they are not responsible for the actions of their independent dealers.

Many articles this last week in the Wall Street Journal with Daimler-Benz' dismal earnings reports, largely due to the rapid decline in their Mercedes line. What they need to realize in Germany is that they do need to hold their dealers accountable for the level of service given to customers. Since I have been treated so badly, even if Mercedes gets their product quality act together, I will never buy another one again.
Oh how I long for the day when the skies were truly Friendly!

slider

Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:30 am

Many articles this last week in the Wall Street Journal with Daimler-Benz' dismal earnings reports, largely due to the rapid decline in their Mercedes line. What they need to realize in Germany is that they do need to hold their dealers accountable for the level of service given to customers. Since I have been treated so badly, even if Mercedes gets their product quality act together, I will never buy another one again.

Amen! It's real simple- if a company won't build a good, reliable quality product, nor support it, then don't support them.

Because of the engine defect on my Intrepid, I'm done with Dodge, Daimler-Chrysler. I've already influenced several people to not purchase D-C vehicles, and my pending SUV purchase--which my wife and I were contemplating before the Intrepid engine blew--now will exclude all D-C products.

They just don't get it.

And the dealerships are complicit in it- like puppets, they just follow blindly without regard to integrity, relationships, or customer loyalty. Penny wise, dollar foolish.

LHSebi

Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:36 am

Most "upscale" cars are, because they have lower profile tires.

Umm...I don't know what it's like in the US, but here in Germany it's the LAW that profiles have a minimum of I believe it's 3,2mm of profile on each tire. If you don't, you had better get a new one! Profile depth has nothing to do with the type of car.

"Upscale" cars might have larger rims, which usually means less rubber on the rims, but the profile must still be enough.

Sebastian
I guess that's what happens in the end, you start thinking about the beginning.

aloges

Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:45 am

How do we say...?

Ah right, "Schadenfreude ist die schönste Freude." Sorry dude, but I can't stop that smirk.  Big grin I guess that's what these wheel-based computers include nowadays, a "software update" every other month. Hopefully, you won't have any serious trouble with the SLK in the future.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Sabena332
Topic Author

Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:22 am

Ah right, "Schadenfreude ist die schönste Freude." Sorry dude, but I can't stop that smirk.

You can be glad that I don't live near Heidelberg  Big grin.

Patrick

QANTAS077

Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:31 am

next time buy a Jaguar! the customer service from Jaguar is fantastic, our whole family has always had MB til i went there in an old bomb and got treated like crap, little did they know that we have a S500 that my mum follwed in because we wanted to see the reaction. she gave the sales person a serve who was rude as a twat, i took my dollars about 1km in the other direction and bought a Jaguar XJ from a fantastic dealership and a great bunch of guys.

L-188

Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:47 am

next time buy a Jaguar! the customer service from Jaguar is fantastic

Those are built by Ford now.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Sabena332
Topic Author

Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:55 am

next time buy a Jaguar! the customer service from Jaguar is fantastic

Way too expensive (I am driving a Mercedes SLK and not a 150.000 EUR car like a S-Class), furthermore I don't like Jaguars.

Patrick

Superfly

Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:55 am

Good observation L-188!

The Jaguar/Ford marriage is the joining of two great brands that has and will always deliver the world's best products.

People need to stop acting as if Mercedes is some perfect brand with products that walk on water. Mercedes is just over priced over engineered status symbols period!
Give me a Mercury Grand Marquis over a Mercedes any day!
Bring back the Concorde

UAL747

Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:59 am

BMW service in OKC is horrible as well. What I DO like about BMW is that they call you after every service is done on your car. They ask about the quality of service you've received at the specific dealership. I ranked our current dealership very badly. I am under the assumption that BMW USA called the local dealership and told them of my report because I got a call from the service manager a few days later apologizing for the poor service.

Basically what happened started at check in.

Now, when you buy a higher priced automobile, you expect fast and professional service. I went into the dealership to tell them of the problems with my car. The reason I went in is, I called the service department to tell them of my problems, but was forwarded to an answering machine. I called back and asked to speak with another service agent as the one the main operator directed me to was not available. Again, I got an answering machine. So, I left a message. It had been several days since the message, and no return call. So I went to the dealership. A service advisor had me come sit at his desk, and he interrupted our conversation to have a phone call, with his wife. He proceeded to talk on the phone for 10 minutes while I waited at his desk.

I left my car with him and scheduled a pick up date of two days later. Well, two days came and went, called the service department, and went through the same hassle of getting voice mails. So I went all the way to the dealership (an hour drive from where I live) only to be told that my car wasn't ready. Four days passed before I was able to pick up my car.

Then I took my car in for it's 30,000 mile service, and the exact same thing happened. I told BMW USA about the problem and I emailed the Service department at the dealership. I got a somewhat hateful email back from the representative, which REALLY pissed me off.

Now, I avoid that dealership like the plague.

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

Sabena332
Topic Author

Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:07 am

Now, I avoid that dealership like the plague.

I forgot to mention: I received the car in December at a Mercedes dealer next to my former hometown, in January I had to move to Hamburg because of my new job and I didn't know any Mercedes dealer here so I chose the first one I could find. Of course I will avoid this dealer in the future because of the no existent customer service.

Patrick

Superfly

Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:11 am

Three years ago, my aunt bought a brand new Mercedes E320 sedan and it broke down on her while in traffic. The entire car just died. No electrical or any sign of life. It took the 'skilled Mercedes mechanics' at the dealer 4 days to figure out what was wrong.
Come to find out, a circut had shorted out due to the air conditioning being on too long.  Wow!

The dealer didn't even have a loner car for her. Luckily she still had her back up car, 1987 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight Regency as her back up car.

So much for sophisticated German engineering.  Yeah sure
Bring back the Concorde

mdsh00

Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:13 am

This is why I would never get a Mercedes. Lexus and Acura is the way to go.

QANTAS077

Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:14 am

Jaguar maybe Ford built now, but the Jaguar is still one of the best cars on the road, the suspension is known to be the best worldwide, the XJ series i purchased is one of the finest vehicles on the road. the after service has been great and they have even given me alot of discounts.

if i had to buy another car other than Jaguar it'd be BMW or Audi.

UAL747

Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:16 am

I have to disagree. Nothing beats German engineering. The Lexus and Acura are just glorified Toyotas and Hondas.

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

fbgdavidson

Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:20 am

our whole family has always had MB til i went there in an old bomb and got treated like crap, little did they know that we have a S500 that my mum follwed in because we wanted to see the reaction. she gave the sales person a serve who was rude as a twat, i took my dollars about 1km in the other direction and bought a Jaguar XJ from a fantastic dealership and a great bunch of guys

To be honest I think that is a dumb way to buy a car. You live with the car 24/7 not the folks at the garage (well unless you get a C Class by the sounds of things on here  Big grin). I don't live in a heaving metropolis but we have a few Merc dealers within 20mins drive and across the years have found them to range from good to superb to downright snobby! When the facelifted S Class came out a couple of years back I drove down there soon after passing my driving test to pick up some new brochures for father and got a look from the dealer as if I had two heads when I could ask to have a look round one and get some info....

Sabena332
Topic Author

Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:26 am

I have to disagree. Nothing beats German engineering. The Lexus and Acura are just glorified Toyotas and Hondas.

Maybe I am biased but I agree, German engineering (especially regarding cars) is the best in the world and I would never buy another car than a German car. I enjoyed to drive my SLK very much until today because of it great handling and sporty driving style and I hope that a technical problem like today will never happen again.

QANTAS077: You are correct regarding BMW, my father is an old BMW freak and he never had problems with all of his cars (he had the 3/5/7 series) and with the BMW customer service.

Patrick

QANTAS077

Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:29 am

well considering the place i was going to buy MB from is the only dealership in my city i'd have to deal with them, it's quite bad enough that a family of 7 has to deal with them, i wasn't going to make it 8! i wasn't looking at getting a big MB, just a nice C class wagon, i'd still have to go back to the dealer once a month for service and i'm not about to flush my money people who are rude and provide poor service.

don't know about you, but when i buy something i want the whole package and that includes exceptional customer service, not rudeness, it's funny because he was very polite to my mother, actually knew her by name.

spirtofalaska

Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:50 pm

now, i totally understand that all we had was a c class, but still, we bought a mercedes for a reason. And all i can say, what a hunk of junk. Yes it was a fine automobile. but w/in the first 5000 miles we had all these warning lights come on, get them fixed, and we were fine for a while, then headlamps would go out, and so forth. The shocker came w hen it was time for an oil change, 80-100 dollars for an oil change? BS. We ended up doing it ourself most of the time. At least it held its retail value, when we sold it, we ended up making 200 more than we bought it for. THANK YOU EBAY!
you fo'Coffee?

Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:00 pm

German engineering (especially regarding cars) is the best in the world and I would never buy another car than a German car.

What was the problem again? LOL

My advice, fix the problem and drive on. Mechanical things break and often need to be fixed. Good engineering or not. The problem is customer service and customer expectations. Perhaps mommy and daddy can trade it in for another for you?

Smile

787 Italia - Io, il comandante dell'aria

fbgdavidson

Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:52 pm

i'd still have to go back to the dealer once a month for service

Once a month....jeez. How many miles do you do???? Or are you anticipating problems?  Big grin

sv7887

Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:32 pm

Hi All,
Lexus just glorified Toyotas? Bull%^&!!! Next time back your opinions up with facts. To denigrate the success of Lexus is pure arrogance and snobbery. We've owned all of the marques save Jaguar and the 4 Lexus LS400/430's we've had have been the best cars we've owned..We still have our original 92 LS which to this day has needed nothing other than scheduled maintenance. Even the Autorags agree the Lexus is comparable to the Germans. The LS430 won it's last Car and Driver Comparo, and was second to the A8 in the Motor Trend one.

Our 1989 MB 420 SE was a very close second to the LS cars. It was a great looking car that was built to last forever. We nearly bought a S430 a month back, but it didn't inspire the same confidence that the old 420 did..Maybe the next S will be better, but I hope the styling is better than what I've seen so far.

The Germans, in particular BMW offer a stiffer more involving ride with superior handling..The 7 Series had the best skidpad results in the last test..If you want a car that will beg you for more, a BMW is your car. The Bangle styling is horrendous though. Lexus offers a car with a understated design with superior quality, industry leading residuals, all the electronic toys possible (And they actually work) and the smoothest ride around..Customer Service treats you like royalty too. All of this for thousands less. Higher price doesn't always imply better product...

If you want to talk European Cars, let's talk about Jaguar. The XJ is the classiest looking car out there with a great balance of comfort and performance. They have the best extended warranty in the business, as shown by Intellichoice surveys. The interior is unlike any other save a Rolls..Handsome wood accents everywhere and creamy leather that is better than most people's living rooms..It's also more exclusive than the Lexus and German marques..I see tons of those cars in Boston, but not many Jaguars. Qantas077, what has been your experience with the XJ so far? I'm thinking about picking up an older '02-'03 in about six months..Do you think it's a good idea?

SV

[Edited 2005-02-15 13:35:32]

Yu138086

Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:56 pm

Havent you ever heard of the phrase " you can't take blood from a stone?"
If they dont have a loaner car available immediately, you have two options:
1) drive to another dealership and hope they have one for you or 2) sit down and wait till one arrives! You paid top dollar for a car that doesnt work... Big Deal! It's a machine and machines will break down where and when they choose to. I don't sympathise with you. Ultimately, you got what you asked for. Why is the lady a bitch for now having a loaner car available for you at you beckon call? Think she knew you were coming that day and time and deliberately wanted to make your life miserable?

PS. Whoever would buy a Mercedes now after their merger with Chrysler with them beginning to incorporate Chrysler parts in the cars is simply foolish.

Sabena332
Topic Author

Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:00 am

Yu138086, someone like you should really not talk about customer service!

'nuff said!

Patrick

drerx7

Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:12 am

Well--my mom has an SLK230 (1998) and she hasn't had any problems with it--mechanical anyway. There was an issue with the taillights burning bulbs out frequently; but she hasn't had any problems with the car. She is going to trade it in soon on an SLK350. I do agree that Mercedes quality has been slipping; however they claim to address these issues--but the cancellation of the free maintenance program is questionable. I still like Mercedes over BMW--especially with their bangled designs.
HOUSTON, TEXAS