Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

StevenUhl777

RE: Who Is Your Hero?

Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:59 pm

What a great topic!

My parents - they are truly amazing people in every way...I'm SO LUCKY to have them as parents.

My grandparents - Again, truly amazing people. They've always believed in me, even if at times I didn't believe in myself. They're getting old now, and not sure how much longer I'll have them in my life...something that hurts me even thinking about it, but something I'll have to face eventually.

Outside of family:
- Capt. Haynes: Not to be repetitive, but the way he kept his cool on 7/19/89 on UA232 and did his best. I would love to hear him speak. I try to think of his experience to put my tough times in perspective.

- Passengers of UA93: For obvious reasons. The fact they VOTED before taking action speaks volumes.

- Rescue workers: After 9/11, I realized that they, along with teachers, are the true heroes of this society, not the fucking overpaid janitors who play professional sports. Now that I think about it, at least janitorial workers provide a benefit to society, whereas pro athletes don't. I've stopped going to pro. sports events as a result. I'm tired of my money funding their pathetic lifestyles. I'd happily pay double the tax every year if I knew that educators and rescue workers would benefit directly. Wish everyone felt this way. Our society needs a good kick in the ass to put things in perspective.

- My teachers: Grade school, junior high, high school, college, and soon my MBA program - they are the ones who forced me think and apply myself. If it weren't for a few great ones, I'd be a different person today.

I don't always agree with every position these presidents have taken, but I admire both for different reasons, and will continue to stand behind my vote for each one, both times:

President Bill Clinton - Guy got a blow job(s) in the Oval Office. 'Nuff said. For a Republican, consider it a compliment! Even if she was ugly...

President George W. Bush - For standing his ground, speaking his mind, and not afraid of what others think of him.

Again...a GREAT topic. Worth the time writing a reply. Thanks.

[Edited 2005-02-17 07:22:29]
And the winner for best actress is....REESE WITHERSPOON for 'Walk the Line'!!!!!!!!

VirginFlyer

Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:58 pm

Quoting QANTASforever (reply 8):
Australia's 21st Prime Minister - The Great - His Excellency Gough Whitlam AC QC MHR.

Hear! Hear!

V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh

Salukipilot

Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:05 pm

Kurt Cobain

I dont know why, im a teenager.....

-Brandon
Frontier Pilot

N317AS

Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:14 pm

Parents
Grandparents
Even my great grandparents who I didn't get to know long enough.

Not heros but people I've admired or have helped me through some tough times.

Ronald Regan - More for the man than the politics
Bruce Springsteen - Stopped me from doing something really stupid (28 years ago)
Dale Earnhardt (not Jr) more for the way he lived his life than for racing.
Martin Luther King Jr
Johnny Carson
Charles Schultz
Some people are like Slinkies. They bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

alcregular

Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:53 pm

I would have to say Richard Branson, not because of aviation, but because of how far he has come from leaving school and being dyslexic and building up such a massive company from scratch.

BTW: this is my 1000th post yey!  Big thumbs up
Why drive when you can fly?

mia

Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:35 pm

My modern day hero is Hugo Chávez. I think he is doing so much to better the lives of so many I want to dedicate my life to a similar cause.

A historical idol of mine is Otto von Bismark. He was an intelligent man and a marvelous statesman. I can only pray to have the cunning and measuredness he employed in his work.
"Like all great travelers, I have seen more than I remember, and remember more than I have seen."

NumberTwelve

Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:49 pm

Dr. Hans Blix - he was trying to find the real truth and denied a big war propaganda from a person other people all "heroes"

Quoting StevenUhl777 (reply 50):
President George W. Bush - For standing his ground, speaking his mind, and not afraid of what others think of him.

I can't call war mongers "heroes".
signature censored by admin - so check my profile

L410Turbolet

Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:32 pm

Quoting MIA (reply 55):
My modern day hero is Hugo Chávez. I think he is doing so much to better the lives of so many I want to dedicate my life to a similar cause.

I only hope you are being sarcastic...  Confused

RichardBHX

Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:26 am

Quoting Alcregular (reply 54):

Well, it's not my 1000th post, but I agree, Richard Branson is my hero. I mean, who wouldn't want to be him?
Also had to do a presentation in school extolling the virtues of him against some other people (Kurt Cobain, Alexander Fleming, Elizabeth I, Boris Johnson & someone!). Needless to say, he won

And with good reason... Big thumbs up

RichardBHX
Flown - Miles: 51069 Sectors: 26 Airlines: 8 Aircraft Types: 8 Countries: 5

JetJock22
Topic Author

Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:42 am

I'd have to add Ronald Reagan to my list. Can't believe I forgot him to start with

CORULEZ05

Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:49 pm

my mother is my heroe because well she brought me into this world, puts up with me, has given me TONS of love and materialistic things, keptur family together,succeeded even after the sudden death of my father, hard working and very generous, VERY loving, and well because she is my mommy and I love her to death.
Fly jetBlue today!!!!!!!

SJUboeingGirl

Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:50 pm

Jesse Martin
Bethany Hamilton
Edward Van Halen
Alain Hubert
Archie League (first ATC!)
If it's not Boeing, I ain't Going!

bravo7e7

Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:56 pm

Quoting PacificWestern (reply 60):

Any other senile fools with a draconian wife you've forgotten to put on your list?

WTF???

JetJock22
Topic Author

Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:46 pm

Quoting PacificWestern (reply 60):
Any other senile fools

Dude, my grandmother has Alzheimers so bad she can't even walk anymore. I take a very deep offense to that. Why don't you think before you open your mouth and say shit like that

PacificWestern

Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:14 pm

Quoting JetJock22 (reply 63):
Why don't you think before you open your mouth

Probably the same you reason you do not.

I was not talking about your Grandmother or the two aunts of mine who have Alzheimers, I was talking about Ronnie R. and you know it. Don't use your poor Granny as an excuse to be offended when the real reason is that you are annoyed that I slighted one of your heroes.

I encounter Alzheimer patients through work and with my own family. I always regard them with compassion and patience. However, that does not mean that I think they are suitable to hold public office.

JetJock22
Topic Author

Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:12 am

Quoting PacificWestern (reply 64):
I was not talking about your Grandmother or the two aunts of mine who have Alzheimers, I was talking about Ronnie R. and you know it

Senile fools is a very broad term, so perhaps you should be more specific next time. And I am not using my grandmother as an excuse to be offended, I find calling old people with Alzheimers senile fools offensive to anyone with the disease.

PacificWestern

Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:33 am

Then you are seeking offense where none exists.

EGGD

Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:42 pm

Jeremy Clarkson

You want him.

[email protected]

Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:50 pm

The French.

Signed
GKirk.
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

TACAA320

Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:54 pm

Quoting JetJock22 (reply 0):
My hero is my dad. Why? Simply because he's my dad.

I understand you perfectly. But the answer to your own question is not convincing. I think that the problem with this thread is the word "hero". I prefer to say which person do you "admire" the most [or something similar].

Respecting the original word "hero", I must mention:

Those soldiers who fight for their country and principles [e.g. Iraq, Korea, Vietnam...]. Specially the unknown ones.

"Admired person": Mother Theresa of Calcutta.
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

HAWK21M

Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:40 am

My College Professor.Good Advice Always.Too bad hes not Around.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

yokohama1970

Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:44 am

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

[Edited 2005-02-22 21:46:39]
Thank You Derek! Good Luck with the LA Dodgers

AA777

Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:34 am

Probably my mom. I am a momma's boy, what can I say.

After that, it would be my grandmothers.

THEN....

Mother Theresa
Gandhi
Rafik Hariri
Saeb Erekat
Princess Diana of Wales
Abraham Lincoln
Monet / Van Gogh.....

I guess I dont have only ONE then do I? haha...

-AA777

KiwiNanday

Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:23 am

These two:

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Lab/4515/gee3.jpg

(I'm talking about the pilots, not the planes  Big thumbs up)
Silly Islamic extremists, it's just a cartoon!

TACAA320

Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:38 am

Quoting MIA (reply 55):
My modern day hero is Hugo Chávez

Is this a joke?
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

seb146

Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:43 pm

My mom.

I give her grief sometimes because she just had to go see Merle Haggard on the day I was due but seriously, she worked and raised the three of us. Yeah, dad was around but he did not do much. Mom taught us that family is important, how to cook and sometimes friends can be as good as family.

GO CANUCKS!!
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

57AZ

Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:48 pm

My grandfather-he and grandmother raised four kids on an oil scout's salary. He taught his grandkids good manners through example and served his country during WWII as a pilot and flight instructor in the United States Navy.

My great-great grandfather and great-great grandmother: they were both civil servants in Dallam County Texas. Grandfather Alexander was Sheriff of Dallam County until 1930, when he was murdered by cattle rustlers that he and two deputies had been pursuing. Two of the rustlers died in the ensuing gunfight and the third was seriously wounded. Grandmother Alexander was appointed as Sheriff to fill Grandfather's remaining term.

My parents- Mom and Dad have worked so hard to raise me and my younger brother. Dad worked for a Fortune 500 insurance company, working his way up from an actuarial to eventually become the President, Chief Executive Officer and Chairman of the Board. However, he saw that his increasing workload was taking him away from the family more and causing tension. He felt that family was too important and walked away from a half million dollar annual salary, retiring as soon as he could get full retirement benefits (20 years service). That caught the company totally off guard as they naturally assumed that he'd stay on until reaching 65. He's been retired for twelve years now. Mom was always there for us, putting her work career on hold when we kids were young. Both of them encouraged my brother and myself to pursue our educations and to get involved in things such as music. Dad is a jazz pianist, Mom played the organ and currently plays piano and mountain dulcimer, I am a percussionist and have been since middle school. My brother has played brass since middle school.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

mia

Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:00 pm

Quoting TACAA320 (reply 74):
Is this a joke?

No it isnt a joke. I read it once and glossed over it, now again? Yes I am serious. I know some people that have freaking Oscar Arias Sanchez as their hero, I dont question them, dont question mine.
"Like all great travelers, I have seen more than I remember, and remember more than I have seen."

TACAA320

Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:13 pm

Quoting MIA (reply 77):
I know some people that have freaking Oscar Arias Sanchez as their hero, I dont[sic] question them, dont[sic] question mine.

I never ever mentioned him [Oscar Arias Sánchez] before, here in A.net. But since you did it, I must admit that I "admire" him [his not my "hero"], and he has my vote on the next Presidential Elections.

By the way: I have the right to question whatever I want. That's called free speech [First amendment of the U.S. Constitution] and you have the same right.

"The First Amendment of the United States Constitution protects the right to freedom of religion and freedom of expression from government interference. Freedom of expression consists of the rights to freedom of speech, press, assembly and to petition the government for a redress of grievances, and the implied rights of association and belief. The Supreme Court interprets the extent of the protection afforded to these rights. The First Amendment has been interpreted by the Court as applying to the entire federal government even though it is only expressly applicable to Congress. Furthermore, the Court has interpreted, the due process clause of the Fourteenth Amendment as protecting the rights in the First Amendment from interference by state governments.

Two clauses in the First Amendment guarantee freedom of religion. The establishment clause prohibits the government from passing legislation to establish an official religion or preferring one religion over another. It enforces the "separation of church and state. Some governmental activity related to religion has been declared constitutional by the Supreme Court. For example, providing bus transportation for parochial school students and the enforcement of "blue laws" is not prohibited. The free exercise clause prohibits the government, in most instances, from interfering with a persons practice of their religion.

The most basic component of freedom of expression is the right of freedom of speech. The right to freedom of speech allows individuals to express themselves without interference or constraint by the government. The Supreme Court requires the government to provide substantial justification for the interference with the right of free speech where it attempts to regulate the content of the speech. A less stringent test is applied for content-neutral legislation. The Supreme Court has also recognized that the government may prohibit some speech that may cause a breach of the peace or cause violence. The right to free speech includes other mediums of expression that communicates a message.

Despite popular misunderstanding the right to freedom of the press guaranteed by the first amendment is not very different from the right to freedom of speech. It allows an individual to express themselves through publication and dissemination. It is part of the constitutional protection of freedom of expression. It does not afford members of the media any special rights or privileges not afforded to citizens in general... "

[Edited 2005-02-24 05:35:20]

[Edited 2005-02-24 05:42:12]

[Edited 2005-02-24 05:43:29]

UAXDXer

Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:48 am

Pat Tillman

It takes a bug to hit a windsheild but it takes guts to stick

September11

Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:00 am

You are my hero..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Airliners.net of the Future