Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

bill142
Topic Author

Mozilla, IE Or Netscape Which Do You Use?

Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:48 am

Orginally when I started using the internet in 1996 Netscape was the browser of choice but eventually I converted to Internet Explorer. I have recently begun using Mozilla Firefox and have found it so far to be better then Netscape and IE, even tho Netscape is based on Mozilla. So that begs the question which web browser do you use?

USAFHummer

RE: Mozilla, IE Or Netscape Which Do You Use?

Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:49 am

Mozilla, made the switch recently from IE, haven't looked back, its great!

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

Christa

Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:56 am

I use Mozilla Firefox. I have recommended it to many of my friends who have the Internet and they all find it better than what they previously used, mainly Internet Explorer although some were Netscape Users.

However due to playing many Microsoft Games I use the MSN Gaming Zone, which means I can only use the Internet Explorer Browser. For this reason and this reason only, I have Internet Explorer installed. It is only used for me to connect to the Zone.

I have Netscape and Opera installed also, not that I use them but sometimes if my friends come around they like to use different web browsers (as they have them installed on their PC's and use them).

Regards,

Chris
Croeso i Faes Awyr Rhyngwladol Caerdydd - Welcome to Cardiff International Airport

aerorobnz

Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:57 am

Quoting USAFHummer (reply 1):
Mozilla, made the switch recently from IE, haven't looked back, its great!

Same here. It beats IE hands down.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

Klaus

Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:57 am

- iCab
- Safari in emergencies
- Firefox in dire emergencies
- IE... well, only if I need a laugh... Big grin

SLC1

Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:58 am

Well I have a Mac, so I use Safari and Mozilla Firefox
We're gonna do what we like to call a "jetBlue how do you do", which is slang for dumping a bunch of fuel in the ocean

DLKAPA

Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:00 am

Firefox as main browser, IE to upload photos to sites which don't support Firefox use. Actually Airliners.net is the only site I upload to that does work with Firefox.
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

alcregular

Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:02 am

I use Mozilla Firefox, and find it much better. SOmetimes I have to use IE, but its a pain, opening a new window.
Why drive when you can fly?

Usairwys757

Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:08 am

Inactive.....

agill

Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:26 am

Firefox all the way. Have installed it on the computers of friends and family and they love it too.

saxdiva

Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:26 am

Firefox here, or Konqueror. I don't have IE on this system, thank god.
See terms for details....

dan2002

Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:21 am

Firefox.....

-Dan
A guy asks 'What's Punk?'. I kick over a trash can and its punk. He knocks over a trash can and its trendy.

PPGMD

Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:58 am

IE, I have Firefox installed but I simply don't see any reason to switch, since I have never had any issues with IE (no viruses or spyware at all).
At worst, you screw up and die.

ZRH

Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:05 am

As a Mac user, Safari and sometimes Firefox, but never ever IE.

PacificWestern

Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:24 am

Firefox!! It's far superior to IE. Sorry Billy.

Kieron747

Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:28 am

Well, thanks to this thread, I'm now tryping via my spanking new Mozilla Firefox!

it is better!

kIERON747
Airliners.Net - The Jam Rag Of The Web.

Espion007

Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:43 am

FireFox. I use IE a couple times when FireFox screws me over. But overall its far better than IE. 1.1 is coming out soon btw,and 2.0 hopefully before 06.
Snakes on a Plane!

LAS757300

Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:53 am

Safari and, sometimes, internet explorer.
KMSP

ArmitageShanks

Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:05 pm

I have Firefox installed, but I use IE most of the time because it's what I'm used to and I really can't see that much of a difference in the two.

SJUboeingGirl

Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:13 pm

Firefox! is the best one!!
If it's not Boeing, I ain't Going!

gigneil

Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:58 pm

I gave up on Safari.

Firefox's performance and compatibility is far superior to any other product on the market.

N

RayChuang

Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:31 pm

Here's what I use: the Maxthon shell program for that runs over Internet Explorer 6.01 SP1.

Not only does it give IE Firefox-like capabilities, but it has a powerful function called AD Hunter that not only snuffs out most pop-up ads but also snuffs out many online ads that tend to drag down system performance.  Big thumbs up

Springbok747

Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:27 pm

IE and Firefox. IE most of the time though.
אני תומך בישראל

Aeroflot777

Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:35 pm

Just one question, most of my friends have switched to Mozilla, but what exactly is it better for. Why does everyone like it so much? I still use IE and it seems fine to me.

willo

Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:42 pm

...also a recent convert to Firefox for browsing but couldn't get the Thunderbird email program to work properly so have reverted to Outlook Express.

DeskPilot

Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:15 pm

Actually, I use Netcaptor - It's been doing the tabbed browser thing for years. Although it uses the IE render engine, it addresses all the limitations of IE (e.g. tabbed browsing, popup capture, open multiple sites at once, etc.).

As to all the threats, I apply all critical patches, run spyware checkers, anti virus as well as a hardware and software firewall. Exploits have already been found in Firefox, so you're not safe with any browser - so don’t rely on running something OTHER than IE. You need a firewall, anti-virus and a spyware scanner on all Wintel machines.

As for Mac drivers, you guys are OK until hackers start applying their attention to OS X. Believe me, there are exploits in all software and buffer overruns exploits (amongst others) are not the exclusive to Wintel.

I've got Firefox installeld, as well as Opera. I like Firefox, but I still go back to Netcaptor.
By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?

JamieD

Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:18 pm

Firefox for browsing, Thunderbird for e-mail.

To answer Aeroflot777's question, Firefox is generally found to be much more secure than IE, which has many exploits and is open to malicious spyware and the like, and although visually very similar, users tend to find that Firefox has more useful features, such as being able to open pages in tabs within the same window and the little Google search box included in the browser.

Scanorama

Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:34 pm

I used to use MSN Explorer (Internet Explorer) and Netscape when I first started to use internet in 1997. Last year I changed to Opera and Mozilla Firefox most of the time.

PPGMD

Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:26 pm

Firefox is generally found to be much more secure than IE, which has many exploits and is open to malicious spyware and the like,

If you practice safe browsing it's not much of an issue. Myself I browse the internet on Medium-Low, no spyware, no viruses.

and although visually very similar, users tend to find that Firefox has more useful features, such as being able to open pages in tabs within the same window

Which you can get with one of the alternate IE interfaces, and still maintain the same usage as IE.

and the little Google search box included in the browser.

Too bad the google toolbar is 10 times better than that little box. It's a pity one has coded a version for Firefox.

Now I will say that I do recommend Firefox to my users that have regular spyware problems, but for people that currently have no issues, I see little to no benefit.

mham001

Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:52 am

Mozilla for about 2 years now, but I can tell you it is by no means bullet-proof, nor crash-proof. I also tried Opera, but it doesn't cut it. It is nice nobody is writing virus yet, but that the only reason Firefox is "more secure". All the features most people like about Firefox can be had on IE, and some things just don't work well in Firefox. A.net is one of them. Why is it when I go back to the main list, it always goes to the top of the page, instead of where I was when I clicked a topic?

What i find most irritating about Firefox is the inability to open a new tab or window to the same page I'm looking at without copy/paste the address-unlike IE. And has anybody been successful installing plug-ins? What a waste of time that was here....

That said, I still prefer Firefox to instill more competition, its current security advantage, and I do believe it is a little faster. IE is no slouch tho.

Klaus

Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:06 am

DeskPilot: As for Mac drivers, you guys are OK until hackers start applying their attention to OS X. Believe me, there are exploits in all software and buffer overruns exploits (amongst others) are not the exclusive to Wintel.

Sounds like a bad case of security envy to me... ts, ts...  Wink/being sarcastic
(And yes, when the choice is between a leaky bucket and a nice and proper yacht, I simply don´t care if it´s not an aircraft carrier... Big grin)

777DadandJr

Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:14 am

I use IE and I am playing with Firefox.
I do have one question though....

Quoting Mham001 (reply 29):
I do believe it is a little faster. IE is no slouch tho.

I hear this alot. "Firefox is faster." How exactly is it faster? I mean, what is it about the actual software that makes it faster? In terms of browsers, doesn't the speed of your internet connection determine how fast things load?

Just curious

Russ
My glass is neither 1/2 empty nor 1/2 full, rather, the glass itself is twice as big as it should be.

PPGMD

Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:31 am

Quoting Klaus (reply 30):
Sounds like a bad case of security envy to me... ts, ts...
(And yes, when the choice is between a leaky bucket and a nice and proper yacht, I simply don´t care if it´s not an aircraft carrier... )

I haven't had an issues with any of the Windows Systems that I am allowed to manage completely.

Quoting 777DadandJr (reply 31):
I hear this alot. "Firefox is faster." How exactly is it faster? I mean, what is it about the actual software that makes it faster? In terms of browsers, doesn't the speed of your internet connection determine how fast things load?

I have noticed that Firefox has a faster image rendering engine, so it loads the pictures a fraction of a second faster than IE, but it's not anything life changing.

Now on Windows Firefox takes slightly more time to start up for the first time compared to IE.

USAIRWAYS321

Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:10 am

Opera 7 is hands-down the best browser available. I used Firebird/Firefox for over a year until I found Opera, and switched immediately. Its great!

DeskPilot

Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:25 am

Quoting Klaus (reply 30):
Sounds like a bad case of security envy to me... ts, ts...
(And yes, when the choice is between a leaky bucket and a nice and proper yacht, I simply don´t care if it´s not an aircraft carrier... )

Come-on Klaus, can you honestly tell me there are no weaknesses in OS X that can't be exploited ? Hackers/crackers turn their attention to maximum bang for their bucks E.g. If you're after zombies for a DoS attack, you want maximum potential, hence Wintel. If there were more Macs out there, they'd turn their attention to the Mac.

This is no comment on Mac either, I like them and I like OS X. This is a discussion on security.

Klaus

Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:41 am

PPGMD: I haven't had an issues with any of the Windows Systems that I am allowed to manage completely.

I said it´s a leaky bucket, not quite a rock!  Wink/being sarcastic

DeskPilot: Come-on Klaus, can you honestly tell me there are no weaknesses in OS X that can't be exploited?

Much fewer than in Windows. That´s a well-known fact. Windows has so many severe design flaws that it would be hard to match that. Microsoft always put the priority on shoddily implemented features before security, and it shows.

Still, I didn´t claim OS X was an aircraft carrier - it´s just not a leaky bucket either...  Big thumbs up

DeskPilot

Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:47 am

Quoting Klaus (reply 35):
Much fewer than in Windows. That´s a well-known fact. Windows has so many severe design flaws that it would be hard to match that.

I think it would be more accurate to say "know" design flaws. The fact that flaws haven't been found on OS X doesn't mean they don't exist. Expoits (well named) are uses of software outside of its intended uses (e.g. buffer overflows with code injection). Testers can only test known conditions, and can't always identify all exploits.

Ditto with Linux and other Operating Systems.

gigneil

Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:55 am

Quoting DeskPilot (reply 25):
Believe me, there are exploits in all software and buffer overruns exploits (amongst others) are not the exclusive to Wintel.

The open-source basis for software development on the Macintosh platform (as well as Linux) make it inherently more secure, and increases the pool of resources applying themselves to securing any notable holes.

Quoting PPGMD (reply 28):
It's a pity one has coded a version for Firefox.

There is an official Google toolbar for Firefox on all platforms, and has been for a VERY long time.

N

DeskPilot

Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:50 am

Quoting Gigneil (reply 37):
The open-source basis for software development on the Macintosh platform (as well as Linux) make it inherently more secure, and increases the pool of resources applying themselves to securing any notable holes.

Since when has OSX become open source ?

PPGMD

Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:08 am

The open-source basis for software development on the Macintosh platform (as well as Linux) make it inherently more secure,

HAHAHAHA...HAHAHAHAHA*cough*

A Linux installation usage the distributions available when Windows XP was released has a 15 minute lifetime on the net compared to 1 minute lifetime. Just because it's exploits are scanned for less doesn't mean that it's any more secure.

Security of a system depends almost entirely on the administrator, with the system itself playing a small part, and the skill of the hacker playing another part. Take a look at the average Windows user, they are complete and utter idiots. Now look at the average Linux user, generally they are quite knowledgeable, or had someone setup the computer for them, that knew what they were doing. In fact I would go as far to say that 90% of Linux installations are done by security concise professional administrators, while 90% of the first users of Windows XP, are numbskulls.

Microsoft made one mistake with Windows XP, and that was not having the firewall enabled by default, if that one little thing had been changed, the worms (the only place where blame is almost entirely on Microsoft), that have hit XP would have been but a minor issue effecting only idiots that mis-configured their firewall.

Well there is a way to get ultimate security, ban users!

DeskPilot

Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:08 am

But not perfect. Exploits have been found on Mozilla/Firefox & Thurnderbird :
- Mozilla Firefox About Configuration Hidden Frame Remote Conf...
- Mozilla Firefox Drag And Drop Security Policy Bypass Vulnera...
- Cross Site Scripting
- Manipulation of data
- Exposure of sensitive information
- System access

Ditto with various distros of Linux.

And sadly yes, even OS X has exploits (quick search in Google) :

- The problem is that the "help" URI handler allows execution of arbitrary local scripts (.scpt) via the classic directory traversal character sequence using "help:runscript".

- It is also possible to silently place arbitrary files in a known location, including script files, on a user's system using the "disk" URI handler. Files on disk images can be executed without using the "help" URI handler.

So, the point here is don't rely on thinking you are safe with your software/OS or distro of OS. Always keep your guard (firewall, anti-virus, frequent patching, spam filters and spyware scanners) up !

A “superiority complex” is no match for hackers abilities to find and use exploits.

DeskPilot

Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:16 am

Quoting PPGMD (reply 39):
Microsoft made one mistake with Windows XP, and that was not having the firewall enabled by default, if that one little thing had been changed, the worms (the only place where blame is almost entirely on Microsoft), that have hit XP would have been but a minor issue effecting only idiots that mis-configured their firewall.

One of many. Discouraging the use of accounts with "admin" rights for average users (especially home) would help too. You only need "admin" rights to install or change selected system properties. You can engage "admin" rights via the "run as" option, for on the fly needs.

PPGMD

Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:43 am

Quoting DeskPilot (reply 41):
One of many. Discouraging the use of accounts with "admin" rights for average users (especially home) would help too. You only need "admin" rights to install or change selected system properties. You can engage "admin" rights via the "run as" option, for on the fly needs.

True that may have helped against the e-mail viruses such as MyDOOM, but part of MyDOOM requires the user to actually run the file. I am talking about the worms, that did invaded the system process, that one change would have prevented Blaster, and it's varients from affecting but a small precentage of machines in the internet.

777ER
Head Moderator

Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:11 am

MSN Explorer and Internet Explorer
Head Forum Moderator
[email protected]
Flown: 1900D,S340,Q300,AT72-5/6,DC3,CR2/7,E145,E70/75/90,A319/20/21,A332/3,A359,A380,F100,B717,B733/4/8/9,B742/4,B752/3,B763,B772/3, B789
With: NZ,SJ,QF,JQ,EK,VA,AA,UA,DL,FL,AC,FJ,SQ,TG,PR

Klaus

Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:53 am

PPGMD: Security of a system depends almost entirely on the administrator, with the system itself playing a small part, and the skill of the hacker playing another part.

Without a huge number of known gaping holes, the administrator doesn´t matter that much. The relatively rare actual holes in OS X are usually fixed before there´s any exploit. And it has all ports closed by default, so even potential vulnerabilities simply couldn´t get in unless the user explicitly opens the door first.

And with the root account in OS X being disabled by default, there´s not all that much an exploit could do anyway. Under Windows, every exploit runs as Root by default, as far as I know.

There have been just too many unfortunate design choices made by Microsoft...

DeskPilot: And sadly yes, even OS X has exploits (quick search in Google) :

Incorrect! There have been potential vulnerabilities, all of which have been fixed before an exploit was "available", unlike Windows with thousands of active Exploits!

DeskPilot: So, the point here is don't rely on thinking you are safe with your software/OS or distro of OS. Always keep your guard (firewall, anti-virus, frequent patching, spam filters and spyware scanners) up !

Of course. That doesn´t change the fact that the huge number of active exploits under Windows is a severe Problem for users today while OS X users simply have no such problems.

hawaiian717

Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:35 pm

Firefox is my preferred browser on all three platforms: Mac OS X, Linux, and Windows.

Yes, there have been security vulnerabilities with Firefox, but Mozilla has generally been much quicker about getting patches out than Microsoft has.

David / ABQ

DeskPilot

Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:11 pm

Quoting Klaus (reply 44):

Incorrect! There have been potential vulnerabilities, all of which have been fixed before an exploit was "available", unlike Windows with thousands of active Exploits!

So Apple (and other vendors for OS X software) have and always will close all vunerabilities before they are exploited Klaus ? So you're saying they will ALWAYS identify a vulnerability first ?

yokohama1970

Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:59 pm

http://www.aloistreichel.de/bilder/mozilla/firefox_01_800.png
Thank You Derek! Good Luck with the LA Dodgers

DeskPilot

Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:03 pm

Sorry Klaus, I don't believe this. Here's an example from December last year of a known EXPLOIT that still isn't patched correctly. Oh, and Apple DIDN'T FIND the vulnerability - they were advised.

"..Mac OS X Web Hole Still An Issue, Security Firm Says
by Staff, 9:00 AM EST, December 9th, 2004

Apple has still not completely fixed the HFS+ filesystem vulnerability issue discovered last week, according to the company that first noticed it, leaving some Web servers running third-party solutions vulnerable to attack.

Security services company NetSec said Wednesday Apple's Security Update, released December 2, simply doesn't solve the problem.

The company said the update only addresses the security flaw for OS X systems running the Apache Web server, which is shipped by default. Customers using other Web servers such as 4D WebSTAR remain at risk. Additionally, users running modified versions of the Apache web server on OS X would not have received the update patch automatically, and might not be aware.

The vulnerability, said NetSec, could allow attackers to gain access to the back-end of Web sites and change online content at will.

Tom Parker, a computer security analyst with NetSec, wrote on a security message board that fixing the problem completely for Apple will not be easy and would require a complete overhaul of Mac OS X's kernel. The kernel is the essential center of a computer operating system and provides basic services for all other parts of the operating system...

PPGMD

Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:27 pm

And with the root account in OS X being disabled by default, there´s not all that much an exploit could do anyway. Under Windows, every exploit runs as Root by default, as far as I know.

Just because root is disabled, doesn't mean that a root kit can get their privlages escalated to root. Disabling root simply prevents the user from using it to do something stupid.

And there is always privlage escalation onto the system level.