Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

planespotterx
Topic Author

Ever Hit Or Been Hit By A Plane?

Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:19 pm

Just wondering has anyone ever hit or been hit by a plane before here on A.net, either by walking accidentally into the wing, banging your head on a engine, anything that involves aircraft and pain lol.
Its not the fall that kills u, its the sudden stop at the end..

UTA_flyinghigh

RE: Ever Hit Or Been Hit By A Plane?

Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:20 pm

My fiancee hit me with a newspaper once. Does that count  Big grin

UTA
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

USAFHummer

Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:28 pm

I've tested and proven the theory that an F-104 wing edge will give you a papercut, does that count?

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

saxdiva

Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:36 pm

When I was about 12, I rode into the leading edge of a Cessna 182 wing on my bike. Fortunately, the plane wasn't injured (I don't know how I would have paid for the repair if it were), but I swear I thought my nose would ever stop bleeding.

And yes, I'm a geek from WAY back.
-Leanne
See terms for details....

707CMF

Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:44 pm

Aircraft often tell me "Hi, baby. Wanna come for a flight ?"

Cheers,

OB1504

Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:24 pm

Paper airplane, yes. Real airplane, no.

air2gxs

Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:56 pm

I'm an aircraft mechanic, I've bled on more airplanes than I've flown on.

SJUboeingGirl

Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:32 am

I once hit myself REALLY hard with the pitot tube of a Cessna 152
If it's not Boeing, I ain't Going!

flysc

Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:26 am

Hey watch that Pitot Tube. You could put an eye out with that thing.
Fly Safely,
Jason D.
I do not fail!!! I succede at finding what does not work!!!

777DadandJr

Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:29 am

I nearly got an armrest shoved up my butt on a Dash 8 going to YYZ. Does that count?

Russ
My glass is neither 1/2 empty nor 1/2 full, rather, the glass itself is twice as big as it should be.

eclipseflight7

Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:38 am

Every time I sump the tanks on a 172, I hit my head on the trailing edge of the wing.
Holy sh*ts and burritos.

57AZ

Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:39 am

I've banged my head and scraped my knuckles on planes so many times that I don't remember individual incidences. The clamshell cabin doors on the 400 series Cessnas could be real knuckle scrapers.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

dan2002

Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:40 am

Ive fallen over an AC hose going into a CO 738 at an airshow, hit my head on a few Cessna's, got my finger pinched playing with the flaps of a C182, and ran into a few wings from aircraft I cant remember for the life of me. All this at an airshow mind you.

-Dan
A guy asks 'What's Punk?'. I kick over a trash can and its punk. He knocks over a trash can and its trendy.

JetJock22

Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:02 am

Knocked myself out after slamming my head into the flaps on my 172 after I just got done with one of my night flights. I had just gotten out of the plane and my g/f at the time yelled my name and when I turned around, WHAM. I was out cold

SlamClick

Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:32 am

On a charter flight, I set the chocks on a DC-9 and my stupid uniform hat kept me from seeing the landing gear door. I came to sitting on the ramp with a flight attendant staring at me, wondering if her trip was going to be canceled.

Big airplanes leave vertical scars from propellers, flap-ends, gear doors etc.
Small planes leave horizontal scars, mostly from trailing edges.

When I was a student pilot, a couple guys had a ping pong table set up in the hangar. One guy chased a ball that looked like it'd been hit by Mickey Mantle and there was the trailing edge of a C-182 right behind him. Ugly!
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

AsstChiefMark

Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:49 am

My dad had his foot run over by a B-29 nosegear. In 1951, he was a B-29 engine mechanic stationed at Sheppard AFB.

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

FlyMKG

Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:09 am

When I used to work for a little FBO in Grand Haven, MI, I was sweeping the floor of the hangar and ran into the side of a Cessna 152 wing. My nose hurt for a week.

FlyMKG

MidnightMike

Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:12 am

Let's see:

I fell off the wing of a A3 Skywarrior
I fell down the stairs of a 747-200F at both Polar Air Cargo & Nippon Cargo Airlines.
I walked into the prop of a P3 Orion (while it was not spinning)
While I was doing a daily inspection of a P3 Orion, another mechanic dropped a quart can of oil on my nose, I still have the scar.
NO URLS in signature

pilottj

Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:02 am

Tripped over plenty of tiedowns, banged head in to plenty of wings and flaps. Make sure when checking ailerons on a Cessna, you hold the aileron up with one hand while running your fingers along the inside.  Smile Bonked head on the ceiling a few times in a 150 Aerobat while having some zero G fun. Sumped fuel on a very cold morning without gloves and spilling some on my hands...not being hit by somthing but it can be painful. I have been pretty lucky with props though. I try to stand behind it against the cowling if i need to put my hand into the air intakes to check alternator rigging. Always treat the propeller like a loaded gun.

Cheers
TJ
God was my copilot, but we crashed in the mountains and I had to eat him...

TWAMD-80

Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:22 am

About eight years ago I was hit in the head by a rivet that fell off of an overflying airliner. It didn't hurt when I got hit, I felt something tap the top of my head then when I looked to see what the deal was there was this shiny little rivet. I wish that I would have bought a lottery ticked that day!

On a lighter note, I have knocked my head countless times getting into and out of 152's. Fortunately for me I have not yet (keyword yet) walked into the wingtip or aileron, which would leave a nice diamond pattern on your forehead.

TW
Two A-4's, left ten o'clock level continue left turn!

tristarenvy

Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:39 am

I've bashed my head into a fair number of overheads. Some people say it cause dain bramage....
If you don't stand for SOMETHING, you'll fall for ANYTHING.

futureuapilot

Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:01 am

Quoting Dan2002 (reply 12):
got my finger pinched playing with the flaps of a C182

I know how that feels, OUCH! Although when that happened to me it was because of my dad, he didn't know that my finger was in the flaps...

-Sam
The Pilot is the highest form of life on Earth!

Leezyjet

Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:04 am

Yeah, I bang my head on the hold doors all the time on the 744. There isn't much headroom and there are big hinges that I often walk into !!.

I've also trapped my fingers in the hold door of the Jaguar FR 732 once - ouch !!.

Smile
"She Rolls, 45 knots, 90, 135, nose comes up to 20 degrees, she's airborne - She flies, Concorde Flies"

tbar220

Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:15 am

Quoting Pilottj (reply 18):
Always treat the propeller like a loaded gun.

Curious, why's this?
NO URLS in signature

Illini_152

Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:31 am

Quoting Tbar220 (reply 23):
Quoting Pilottj (reply 18):
Always treat the propeller like a loaded gun.

Curious, why's this?

Because of the design of the magnetos on piston engines. Grounding them shuts them off, so if the grounding wire is broken, or the ignition switch is bad, the mags would still be "hot". Since they are self-exciting, if the propeller is rotated and they are hot, there is the posibility of the engine firing.

Since there is no real way to verify that the magnetos are truely grounded, and the consequences of a propeller accident can be devistating, we are all taught from early on to respect the prop arc.

The "treating like a loaded gun" comment is more appropriate when all parties are familiar with propper firearm handling. Essentially you treat as if they are loaded at all times; even if you've verified personally that they are not, just as you treat all propellers as if they are hot at all times.

BTW- most memorable was propping a PA-12 solo. Threw the prop from behind, as I took my step back I tripped on the main, bounced off the strut, and whacked my head on the door frame. No serious injuries, but it looke funny as hell (thank god the thing didn't fire that time!)
Happy contrails - I support B747Skipper and Jetguy

FlyingColours

Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:24 am

Well I've smacked my head into an overhead TV once whilst running down the isle, darn old dropdowns  Smile

This year I'm looking forward to the prospect of trapping my fingers in large Boeing doors or running over my own foot with my cart  Big grin.

Phil
FlyingColours
Lifes a train racing towards you, now you can either run away or grab a chair & a beer and watch it come - Phil

allstarflyer

Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:54 am

During the short time I was in CS for ACA in ORD (before I went into Ops), I was moving a jetbridge towards one of our RJ's (reg. # I can't remember, but I could still look that up), and as I was about as close as I wanted to be, I nudged it forward a little more and ended up plunging the jetbridge into the fuselage. The top two steps were shattered, to say the least and there was limited damage inside the fuselage. A bit shocked, I placed the jet bridge adaptor in position (as best as I could), the people simply got off the A/C, and the flight crew and I just sat and looked at it. I then got on a conference call with one of our VP's, all the Duty Managers on duty in ORD, the Maintenance Operations Manager back in HQ, the guys in Line Mtc., the Station Manager and who knows who else. It was my fault, and I let them know that, and after the call, the guy spearheading the call was too cool about it, and I returned to work the next day like nothing had happened. Lesson - no matter how good you are at something, room for failure is always imminent, and I'm sure I had my share of overconfidence then. The bird was down for 2 days or so, I think, and then she got back to flying.

-R
Living the American Dream

L-188

Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:57 am

I've got a nice scar on the top of my head.

Put it into a nav antenna on the bottom of the aircraft.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

ShyFlyer

Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:23 pm

I think anyone who has done a pre-flight on any type of aircraft has banged thier head against something. My favorite spots are the trailing edge of the flaps (when they're down) and the wing strut on a 172.

I've almost fallen off a 172 as well. I was replacing the fuel cap and almost lost my balance. The way my body was positioned, I would've hit the pavement flat on my back.
I lift things up and put them down.

DLKAPA

Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:23 pm

Then there's the story of the F/O who stood up too quickly without looking and got his eye stuck on a pitot tube.
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

SLC1

Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:59 pm

Well I haven't but my Uncle who was in the RCAF fell out of a plane on the runway as it was taxiing to the runway.
We're gonna do what we like to call a "jetBlue how do you do", which is slang for dumping a bunch of fuel in the ocean

CactusA319

Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:55 pm

I once had an open cargo bin door on a 737-300 hit me on the head. The cargo doors on the 73 open inwards and latch onto the ceiling of the bin to stay open. You pull on a chord to unlock the latch and close the door. Well I was in the bin loading bags off the belt loader, when I hit the chord with one of the bags and had the door (which weighs quite a bit) come down on my head. It hurt pretty much, and was kind of embarrasing since it happened during my first week of training.

levent

Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:43 pm

Let´s see:

A chair´s armrest of a Fokker 50 ripped open my jeans and left me a nice scar on my leg.

While loading a 737 I fell in the belly and hit my foot against the wall, and lost my toe nail... so far for safety shoes.

While arranging the docs in a Dash 8 cockpit I hit my head against the fire bottle handles, a lot of lights came on and I was bleeding like hell.

On a very dark and rainy night I hit my head against the nose gear doors of a DC-8 after placing the chocks.

And probably a few more things I don´t remember right now...

airlinelover

Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:56 pm

Was a F/A and hit some nasty turbulance in-air. I was thrown off my feet and came to about 30 seconds later being held down by passangers to keep me from flying any further.. Thanks to those pax, btw.. Afterwards, I could not sit in the jumpseat for a week.

Was on a United Express CRJ DTW-IAD and hit the worst turbulance of my life. Had my seatbelt on and all, but I heard a loud CRACK. I had just been thrown out of my seat (with seatbelt ON) into the overhead bin.. That hurt like hell for a while...

Those count?

Chris
Lets do some sexy math. We add you, subtract your clothes, divide your legs and multiply

noelg

Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:04 pm

I walked under the wing of a 172 once, just as someone in the cockpit turned the control column hard left, smacked me clean on the head!

Won't be doing that again in a hurry!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Noel.

AsstChiefMark

Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:51 pm

I used to go flying with my dad when I was 6 to 12 years old. He'd borrow a Cessna 150, 170, or 172 from his friends. (God! I was scared of those smelly old 170's!) I walked into more struts, props, and trailing edges than I can count. Whacked my naughty bits on a few strut steps, too.  Wow!

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

MD11Engineer

Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:33 am

Let´s see:

B737 R1 and R2 doors, their are lower than the entry doors, not so much that you´ll notice, but enough to hit your head on the door frame if you are 6 ft tall.

Walked into the narrow edge of a VHF antenna on a jacked up B737, it knocked me cold for a few minutes.
Hit the edge of a jacked up B737 aircon compartment door, caused a nice cut on my head.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

HAWK21M

Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:36 am

Quoting Planespotterx (reply 0):
either by walking accidentally into the wing, banging your head on a engine, anything that involves aircraft and pain lol.

When one works in Mx. You dont ask this question cause the Answer won't be small.
 Smile
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

SlamClick

Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:49 am

Quoting Allstarflyer (reply 26):
It was my fault, and I let them know that, and after the call, the guy spearheading the call was too cool about it, and I returned to work the next day like nothing had happened. Lesson - no matter how good you are at something, room for failure is always imminent, and I'm sure I had my share of overconfidence then.

Excellent point. If I was hiring people for this kind of job I'd favor people who'd had an experience like yours and would own up to it. It is a good thing they were cool about it - that is the right thing to do. I'll bet you would not do it again, and, further, I'd bet that you approach any such task with a bit more thought than a person who has not yet had that kind of experience.

When I was a teenager working in an all-electric sawmill a 440 volt device burned out and two guys were working on it out of my sight. I was doing cleanup, waiting until we got sawing again. The sawyer turned around to me (I was standing next to the bank of main electrical switches) and gave me a signal. He held one finger up in the air and twirled it around in a circle. "Start it up!" Right? I walked over and grabbed the switch and thank God, just had a stray thought - I did not see the guys standing clear.

I walked over and looked where they were working. They were still up to their elbows in a 440V starting compensator. They were lying on a wet steel hatch cover over the machinery floor. I would have fried them had I turned the power back on.

I went over to the sawyer and asked what the hell me meant with that signal. He said: "Go home" as in it is not going to get fixed today. I explained to him the correct signal for "go home" (looks like yanking on the mill whistle cord)

From that day on I would never turn on a piece of machinery without a quick glance around to see that it is clear. I greatly appreciate it when other do also.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

fightingfalcon

Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:58 am

I've worked on the ramp at ZRH for 1 month now and already I've hit my head and other body parts on about 30 airplanes when loading/unloading baggage... I'm just about so tall that I hit my head on the Avro RJ-100/85's that we frequently handle and the baggage holds in all the aircrafts are small anyway, so you bang against stuff all the time when you're inside...

Regards
Martin
Imprezas rule!!

jetblast

Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:00 am

Quoting Dan2002 (reply 12):
got my finger pinched playing with the flaps of a C182

Yes I know the feeling too! Ouch it hurts!

Regards
JetBlast @ BWI  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Speedbird Concorde One

NZ747

Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:10 am

I bumped my head on the prop blade a few times last year, while doing my preflight inspection. Also cut my finger somehow, while opening the engine cowling cover.

Last week, a guy opening the main door of a Pacific Blue aircraft in Christchurch got his finger ripped off when it became caught.

Now that's painful.

JFKspotter

Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:28 am

Cut my finger while checking an aileron on a 172, the person I was flying with was checking the other side, and brought it down without me knowing. That hurt. And, as previously mentioned, I learned to now hold it up while checking it.