Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

futureuapilot
Topic Author

Handheld GPS Advice

Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:14 am

Hey, I've come to you guys and gals for some advice on what GPS unit to buy. I'm not too picky about the features, i would like a map, but if it doesn't have one that's alright too. It can be in grayscale, doesn't need to be color. I would like it to be accurate to about within 20 feet if possible as the reason i'm purchasing one is kinda for an accuracy important project. Any suggestions are great! I'm kinda... um... broke, so i don't have much money to spend so the finantial issue is kinda important. Thanks!

-Sam

Newark777

RE: Handheld GPS Advice

Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:22 am

This is the GPS that I have and love:

It's a handy little thing designed for use in the car, but it is definitely not limited to that. It is fairly accurate, especially if you are outdoors and have contact with all the satellites. Not sure if it is what you are looking for, but it is listed in the $320 range.

http://www.garmin.com/products/gps5/#

Harry

iakobos

Sat Mar 05, 2005 1:12 am

Forget GPS (real name: NavStar).
Accuracy (for civil use) is system limited to 50 meters (164ft), regardless of which brand and model.

5T6

Sat Mar 05, 2005 1:37 am

Sam....

I bought a Garmin 196 several months ago. At about $799 it may not be in your budget, but save up if you can and buy the best one (whatever the brand) you can possibly afford. You won't regret it later.

The 196 is WAAS capable (and thus BETTER than 50 meters accuracy). I used it for my cross-country flights and enjoy having it with me in the plane if for nothing else than to be able to call out accurate distances when communication with either ATC or making call on CTAF.

Good Luck!

Mike

futureuapilot
Topic Author

Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:16 am

Yeah, $799 is kinda out of my reach, i'm just hopping my dad will let me get a $100 model... might have to upgrade once i get a job. Thanks for the advice, i'll have to go out to Best Buy and look around!

-Sam  spin 

dl021

Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:51 am

Dude, I have owned a Magellan Map 330 for the last 3 years and it has served me well. It is inexpensive and very reliable. They offer maps for the US and Europe (except for Greece for some reason, probably because no-one can read the roadsigns  Wink ). Be advised that spending more than $250 on a GPS device for ordinary route navigation is probably not necessary.

Good luck.

Iakobos..The day you need better accuracy is the day you need to reconsider your activities. The only people who need better accuracy are either landing airplanes using instruments only (and using the wrong instrument) or people guiding ordnance on target.  Wink

Newark777

Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:58 am

Quoting Iakobos (reply 2):
Accuracy (for civil use) is system limited to 50 meters (164ft), regardless of which brand and model

Then why does the accuracy that is displayed on my GPS unit commonly drop below 30 ft?

Harry

chrisdigo

Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:28 am

I'm using the eTrex Legend (with maps) and I'm happy with it. I also tried the Geko 101, very simple to use, but without maps and no connectivity. I like the whole line of eTrex from Garmin. They are portable, great for hicking, biking, to bring everywhere with you. Also anyone here do GeoCaching? http://www.geocaching.com

From my experience, I believe every GPS has the same accuracy. The price difference comes from the goodies (maps, color screen etc). The accuracy you get depends on the signal. The signal depends on the clear view of the sky (no trees), the weather etc. The best I've seen on my screen was 3m! Average is 5-6m.

Geko101: $90 basic, no maps, no connectivity.
Geko201: $110 basic, no maps, but connectivity.
eTrex: $99 Like Geko201 but bigger (what's the point?)
eTrex Legend: $150 Like eTrex but with maps.
http://www.garmin.com

Forget GPS

Well, as for today, do you know any other alternative to it?

futureuapilot
Topic Author

Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:13 am

Quoting Chrisdigo (reply 7):
Also anyone here do GeoCaching? http://www.geocaching.com

Why do you think i wanted to get a GPS??? It was just for Geocasting, there is a Cache in my backyard from the previous owners... but we own about 40 acres so i can't just go out searching for it. Geocaching is awesome! Thanks for the advice!

-Sam

chrisdigo

Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:18 am

Quoting FutureUApilot (reply 8):
It was just for Geocasting

Then, I would suggest the Geko201: lightweight, small, PC connectivity. Perfect for GeoCaching! You don't need integrated maps: just enter the coordinates from the website and go!

Hey can you provide a link to the cache you're looking for?  Smile

SATL382G

Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:29 am

Accuracy (for civil use) is system limited to 50 meters (164ft), regardless of which brand and model.

Iakobos -- Where have you been? Selective Availability was turned off during the Clinton administration, 5 years ago. I routinely get accuracies within 20ft.

http://geography.about.com/library/weekly/aa050400a.htm

futureuapilot
Topic Author

Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:01 am

Well, If it works good for geocaching i might want to use it for other stuff so it would be kinda good to have a map if possible. That Legend looks like a good one!

-Sam

CVGpilot

Sun Mar 06, 2005 2:18 am

I have the Etrex Legend, and I really like it! If I had one negative thing to say about it, it would be that a external antenna cannot be hooked up to it.

mham001

Sun Mar 06, 2005 5:28 am

I have a cheaper, older Magellen 330(i think). I use it for rough land surveying. It is routinely within 20 ft accurate. I thought I read the newer ones are more accurate. There are some extensive GPS forums around. Google is your friend.

iakobos

Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:54 am

Iakobos -- Where have you been?

In hospital Sam, but apart from this in the satellite industry.
NavStar (civilian license) does not guarantee 20ft accuracy.
It does not mean it cannot be achieved, occasionally or even rather routinely.

FutureUApilot was clearly asking "within 20 feet", which would imply precise work of a nature exceeding NavStar specifications.

...and no Ian, there are many other aims that putting a bomb on target.
Ship navigation in estuaries and channels is one example.

iakobos

Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:14 am

Latest declassified accuracy update from the USAF 50th wing (USNO) says:

2/3 of the USA's surface: 4 to 8 meters (13 to 26 feet)
the remaining 1/3 (W & SW and large parts of Alaska): 8 to 12 meters (26 to 39 feet)

These figures are given for a 95% predictability, and are likely based on data retrieved from top-grade military equipment. (the latter is my assumption)

Update: October 2004

futureuapilot
Topic Author

Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:01 am

Quoting Iakobos (reply 14):
In hospital Sam, but apart from this in the satellite industry.
NavStar (civilian license) does not guarantee 20ft accuracy.
It does not mean it cannot be achieved, occasionally or even rather routinely.

FutureUApilot was clearly asking "within 20 feet", which would imply precise work of a nature exceeding NavStar specifications.

I was asking for with in 20 feet as I thought there was a difference in price depending on how accurate it was. I have no clue on how GPS units are and work, but thought you could "Pay for Accuracy," and didn't know weather 20 feet was possible or not. I guess it doesn't matter on how accurate it is as it will only help my search if it is closer. Thank you all for all your contrubutions!

-Sam

SATL382G

Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:28 am

Quoting Iakobos (reply 15):
2/3 of the USA's surface: 4 to 8 meters (13 to 26 feet)
the remaining 1/3 (W & SW and large parts of Alaska): 8 to 12 meters (26 to 39 feet)

Looks like you should have done your research the first time....

iakobos

Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:20 am

No dear, manufacturers do not guarantee the accuracy they advertise.

Garmin GPS60 10 feet all over N America
Magellan eXplorist100 within 10 feet

No guarantee, they call this "reliable accuracy".
Note that both claim better results that the USAF itself.