Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DIJKKIJK
Topic Author

Any Serious Golfers Out Here?

Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:05 am

So do any of you play golf regularly ?

I've played it a few times, but I don't really like it. It seems to be a sport for rich and old people and I'm neither Big grin

Tennis and squash are more my kind.

[Edited 2005-03-07 18:05:53]
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

EA CO AS

RE: Any Serious Golfers Out Here?

Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:10 am

You dismiss golf as a sport for the rich and/or old - but then name tennis and squash as your favorites?  Confused

I love golf, and try to play at least twice a month if I can.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

DIJKKIJK
Topic Author

Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:13 am

Quoting EA CO AS (reply 1):
but then name tennis and squash as your favorites

tennis and squash are sports for the rich and old as well?

I play squash regularly, and it doesn't cost me anything. Memberships to golf clubs are way more expensive.
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

prosa

Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:01 am

Quoting DIJKKIJK (reply 2):
tennis and squash are sports for the rich and old as well?

I play squash regularly, and it doesn't cost me anything. Memberships to golf clubs are way more expensive.

Things might be different in the Netherlands, but in the United States squash has a very upscale image. Tennis used to be considered fairly upscale too but that has changed to some extent.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

Tom in NO

Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:50 am

Quoting DIJKKIJK (reply 0):
It seems to be a sport for rich and old people and I'm neither

I'm neither, as well. I'm barely getting the bills paid, and I'm middle age. Yet I'll play golf at at the drop of a hat.

The old saying, "your worst day golfing is better than your best day to work" fits me to a T.

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

CanadianNorth

Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:03 pm

I golf a few times a year. I go to annie lake golf course, its about 20 minutes down the highway from town, and the only maintenance done is on the greens and the teeboxes, the rest is just whatever grows there (and thus many many gofer holes). But hell, 18 holes for $2 a person is pretty damn good considering the "real" golf courses in Whitehorse (1 9 hole, 1 18 holes) prices are way the hell up there.

Last summer I also set up an 11 hole mini-golf course out back, worked great and all my friends/neighbors/family that tried it thought it was exellent, so I plan on doing the same this summer.

CanadianNorth
HS-748, like a 747 but better!

Usairwys757

Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:07 pm

I LOVE golf, although I only get to play during the spring/summer months up here in New York. I used to play year round when I lived down in North Carolina and Atlanta.

I'm pretty good at it, but then again I'm not great. I love to play golf though, a big stress reliever.
Inactive.....

aerobalance

Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:11 pm

Golf once a week, 10 handicap.

Just put $100 on David Toms to win the Masters...pays 28 to 1....

BTW, I like my new Cleveland Launcher 400 driver, 8.5 deg and as sweet as can be.

[Edited 2005-03-08 04:27:10]
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

Usairwys757

Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:13 pm

Quoting Aerobalance (reply 7):

I'd say, not a bad choice to put your money on. Phil may repeat the way he is playing right now, and Tiger is really coming on strong.

My favorite is Sergio Garcia though, he needs to come through.
Inactive.....

FlyMKG

Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:19 pm

Golf is pretty much my life. I work at the local country club and my family has a membership to the semi-private course on the other side of town. When I'm not at school, I golf about four times a week. As far as equipment goes I have Maxfli A10 irons (3-P), a Taylor Made A-wedge, a really old sand wedge that works great, a really old Dunlop putter, some junk 3-wood, and a Callaway Big Bertha driver. I'm looking to upgrade the driver this summer to a King Cobra 414Comp. I've hit the demo club at work and that thing really gives extra distance. Golf is just a fun way to pass the time.

FlyMKG

Usairwys757

Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:24 pm

FlyMKG, may I suggest the new Taylor Made R7 Quad driver........I have it and that thing rocks man.

Just a thought before you go spend money on one. Cobra's arent bad either.
Inactive.....

aerobalance

Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:28 pm

Quoting Usairwys757 (reply 8):
Quoting Aerobalance (reply 7):

I'd say, not a bad choice to put your money on. Phil may repeat the way he is playing right now, and Tiger is really coming on strong.

My favorite is Sergio Garcia though, he needs to come through.

Tiger is 3/1 and Phil is 5/1, forgot where Sergio is.

ANCFlyer

Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:47 pm

I went to a Golf Course once - on St. Croix - it was a business thing - I know how to score it, I understand how it's played - I tried once at a driving range to see if I could get "in to" it. After 100 balls, 2 bent all to hell drivers and only one, I say again ONE, ball that got airborne, I decided I'd better stick to racquetball and football . . . .

I do drive a hell of a beer cart though!  yes  wink 
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

yegmaster

Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:39 pm

http://www.melcor.ca/golf/lewis_estates/
I live right on the course here and know every piece of grass personally (run about a 15 handicap).

DIJKKIJK : How easy is it to get on a course in Holland? I left Holland when i was 25 and have been back several times and sure would like to play there.
Here in Canada you just book a tee time and way you go, but it seems to be fairly restricted in Holland or am i mistaken? Do you need either a GVB or a official handicap or can you just show up?
Cheers.

Airlinerfreak

Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:58 pm

I play golf, or at least when it is not raining down here. I shoot anywhere from 84 to 89. I have a set of Cobras with the SS 350 Driver. One sweet club with a ginormous head. I play with graphite shafts, but I am going to have to re shaft all my clubs and I am going to put in a steel shaft. I am too strong for them and I have too fast of a clubspeed. I have also grown out of my clubs. Don't know if any of you know this course but on Cabo Del Sol down in SJD, I had a shot from about 180 and holed it. Got an eagle and went on to one of the lowest and most beautiful rounds of my life. I also have a great golf teacher to boot.....any other exciting shots?

Confuscius

Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:24 pm

I've only been playing for less than 2 years but I'm hooked. BTW, I'm playing The Links at Bodega Harbour this weekend.

As for my equipment:

Titleist 975J driver 11.5 deg.
Titleist 975F 20.5 deg.
Perfect Club
Callaway X-16 Pro Series 4 - Gap Wedge
Titlest Vokey Oil Can 58 deg. SW
TaylorMade Rossa Fontana7 putter, cut to 32 in. length.
Maxfli M3 Tour golf ball
Ain't I a stinker?

NIKV69

Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:14 pm

Well being the local golf pro here I have to weigh in here.

Aerobalance,

You just lost $100. Tiger is winning Augusta, he has that look back in his eye and he bitchslapped Phil this past Sunday. TIGER ROCKS!

As for equipment Titleist's slogan says it all."Serious clubs for serious golfers"

I use the 983K driver but will probably switch for the new driver they have this year. I use a Sonartec 3 wood and a Titleist 503 hybrid which rocks!! Never need a 3 iron again. I use Mizuno irons and Cleveland 900 wedges. A Ping Pal putter completes my arsenal. The Prov1X ball is my choice. There is not a better ball on the market.
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

DIJKKIJK
Topic Author

Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:00 pm

Quoting Yegmaster (reply 13):
How easy is it to get on a course in Holland?

Quite easy, actually. There are plenty of them, but I've been told they are fairly expensive. You may want to check them out.

Here is a website with a detailed listing

http://www.ecs.net/golf/Netherlands/clubs.html

707CMF

Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:10 pm

I shared a flat with a golfing buddy who tried to teach me his game.

However, my handicap is so huge that I am allowed to park in disabled parking spots...

Cheers,

fbgdavidson

Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:36 am

I used to play a lot from about 15-18. Handicap was about 16 and I'd play probably four or five times a week during the summer vacation, although I was a fair weather golfer so my memberships went to waste from about November until Easter.

My brother plays as well, we started together and he was a lot better than me. One week a few years ago we did rather well on the tournament front.

Wed - My brother wins a tournament in Portugal
Thursday - I win Junior Open at Donnington Valley C.C.
Friday - My brother wins the Junior Open, both gross and net with two rounds of net 55 and net 58!

Because we were at boarding school we had no time to enter the competitions to get our handicaps cut so we woomp ass when we came home in the summer! I'd love to take it up again as I really made use of my memberships when I had them.

Equipment:
Callaway Biggest Big Bertha 9.5 degree (amateur club!)
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood
Mizuno T-Zoid Titanum Insert irons 2-PW
Titleist Vokey rusty sand wedge (rust is meant to be there Big grin)
Ping Isoforce 2 putter
Ball: Depends on how I am playing, if it is just after winter probably a Titleist PTS Wound or whatever equivalent is....if good then Titleist Professional 90 or Callaway Blue.

Luckily I had an girlfriend who lived next to a golf course and so she'd give me shopping bags worth of golf balls at a time, I'd choose them so I'd walk out with about £200+ every visit. Sadly it wasn't the course where I played so I couldn't pop round to her house and play the back nine  Wink
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

[email protected]

Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:23 am

Ah yes, golf. The only sport that beats Football. (That's football the american way, not the way those fruity Europeans do it)

Here I am in action last monday:

Signed
KROC
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

aerobalance

Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:06 am

Quoting NIKV69 (reply 16):
Aerobalance,

You just lost $100. Tiger is winning Augusta, he has that look back in his eye and he bitchslapped Phil this past Sunday. TIGER ROCKS!

Considering I won $17,000 playing blackjack this past weekend in Vegas, I would consider losing $100 a mere pittance. Besides that, why gamble on winning $300 from a Tiger win, that's not fun. When the #3 money winner on the tour is at 28/1 you go for it. Unless you want to bet against me - a friendly wager perhaps?

FlyMKG

Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:27 am

Quoting Usairwys757 (reply 10):
FlyMKG, may I suggest the new Taylor Made R7 Quad driver........I have it and that thing rocks man.

Just a thought before you go spend money on one. Cobra's arent bad either

I have tried nearly every driver out there due to the fact that there is a demo club for every model at work. I have tried the R7 and I think it is for low handicappers instead of myself with a midrange handicap. The R7, from what I have gathered, gets no extra distance than any driver currently on the market. I don't need to work the ball so the R7 isn't for me. The Corba 414Comp does, in my opinion, get about 5-10 yards further than most other drivers. Plus with my employee discount I can get a new Cobra for 160 bucks or the slightly used demo club for 130 bucks. Not bad for a 400 dollar club.

FlyMKG

NIKV69

Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:41 am

Aerobalance,

What house you do that in? I love to play 21 and I live in Laughlin all winter SO I am Vegas quite frequently. We will have to hook up next winter. Though I have discovered Texas Hold Em and just love it! Very fun. You want Toms and I will take Tiger. Whoever finishes better. You want to bet?

Fiveholer

Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:07 am

4 handicap here...not playing to it at the moment since it's winter. I've gotten out a bit this past week and getting back into it. I work at a course near my house and play in the Mens Golf Association. I've shot a 68 and 70 in the past year, my 2 lows. My equipment is as follows:

Titleist 975J 9.5
Taylor Made 200 5 wood
Callaway X-14 Pro Series 3-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52
Vokey Nickel 56
Odyssey 2-Ball (Original)

Danny Smile

[Edited 2005-03-09 01:09:06]
Bring back Bethune!

aerobalance

Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:49 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 23):
Aerobalance,

What house you do that in? I love to play 21 and I live in Laughlin all winter SO I am Vegas quite frequently. We will have to hook up next winter. Though I have discovered Texas Hold Em and just love it! Very fun. You want Toms and I will take Tiger. Whoever finishes better. You want to bet?

The Venetian.

I'll bet $1

NIKV69

Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:20 pm

What kind of bet is that? LOL  drunk 

The Venetian is nice. Do most of my 21 in the MGM or Mandalay. We should hook up in LAS next winter. I am there a lot in the winter spotting and doing the town. It's the adult DisneyWorld!  yes 

Airlinerfreak

Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:15 pm

Just a question, which ball do you prefer, the PRO V-1 or the PRO V-1x?