Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

N5176Y
Topic Author

Italian Journalist Changes Her Story...

Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:09 pm

Newark777

RE: Italian Journalist Changes Her Story...

Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:18 pm

But the dynamic was that of an ambush and we want a convincing explanation of what happened, because the first American explanation was totally false."

This crazy woman has the audacity to admit that she just made up stuff about the Americans targeting her and then complain about the Americans making false claims. What a hypocrite.

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

mdsh00

Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:59 pm

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 1):
This crazy woman has the audacity to admit that she just made up stuff about the Americans targeting her and then complain about the Americans making false claims. What a hypocrite.

What is even more crazy is all of the sensible people that believed her too. Although my guess is that a lot of it had to do with American-hating than anything else.

Gary2880

Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:42 pm

dont be daft.

Quoting Mdsh00 (Reply 2):
Although my guess is that a lot of it had to do with American-hating than anything else.

her origonal statment might have had something to do with the dead guy next to her in that she thought they were trying to kill them?
Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel :- Samuel Johnson

mdsh00

Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:19 pm

Quoting Gary2880 (Reply 3):
her origonal statment might have had something to do with the dead guy next to her in that she thought they were trying to kill them?

Nah she was pretty much sugessting the army tried to kill her because of her views.

Some gems of responses from BBC readers worldwide about the shooting (granted many of them do see it as a mistake).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/talking_point/4325333.stm

"I have just read Ms Sgrena's first person account of her escape 'This is the Truth', in which she is adamant that it was an attempt to kill her which resulted in Mr Calipari's death. I would trust her testimony over the denials and obfuscations of the US propaganda machine, which is known to be self-serving."
From NZ

"This tragic event is just another indication that the USA now regards Iraq as its own property and that anybody, regardless of their country of origin, is regarded as an "insurgent" - and shot."
From Liverpool

"The European Union can't allow this kind of behaviour. A European citizen has been killed possibly because someone from the US wanted to hide some information about this illegal war. It's necessary to open an official investigation from the UN about this terrible incident and responsibility must be taken at the highest levels of US administrations."
From Spain

"He probably knew something (maybe about the kidnapping) that the US didn't want anyone to know."
From India (might be related to Indianguy  Silly)

Look I am no fan of Bush and this war but sometimes things get taken too far. It is quite tragic that the agent was killed but for now, we have to assume it was a mistake. in my opinion, the journalist should be ashamed of using a tragedy to make wild accusations and promote "yellow journalism."

RayChuang

Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:39 pm

I think the journalist has suddenly realized that in today's world of the public Internet, she BETTER be able to back up her story or the various weblogs will show that she lied in a matter of hours.

airplay

Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:57 pm

I read the article and I really don't see what the big deal is. Her story hasn't changed. It looks like she is providing clarification. But lets focus on the facts. She was shot, and and a man was killed by American service men.

It appears to me that many here are trying to deflect attention from that fact. So lets do the George Bush dance and blame the victim for getting shot.

Gary2880

Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:58 pm

i almost agreed with you there i thought you said they are ass's

by now i highly doubt they are very well oiled, i bet their all so paranoid they would shoot a passing mosquito incase it was a terrorist

ANCFlyer

Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:06 am

Airplay, did you and I read the same article?

Didn't she say specifically immediately after the shooting that "The Americans purposely shot at me, intentionally tried to kill me", words similar to that?

Didn't the article in the thread starter say she did a 180 there, "I never said that they wanted to kill me."

Now I'm gonna make the guess here - but it sounds to me like she's back peddlin' like a duck coming in to decoys!

Ahh, but that won't matter to you will it Airplay? Won't matter to that kid Gary2880 either. Same with Solnabo. If it's broken, wrong, dead, shot, screwed up, it's either America's fault or Bush's fault. All your posts are so predictably anti-American I usually just gloss over them anymore. Simply not worth reading, and usually the same old bullshit.

I truly hope the final investigation shows that it was an accident, and if it turns out differently, the responsible parties need to be dealt with.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

airplay

Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:24 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 13):
Didn't she say specifically immediately after the shooting that "The Americans purposely shot at me, intentionally tried to kill me", words similar to that?

Gee...let's see....

At the time of her initial interview, she had just spent a few weeks under intense stress after being kidnapped by desperate "insurgents" in Iraq.

She was just rescued from her captors following negotiations that her government was being chastised for. (By the US)

She was on her way to the airport (and freedom) and gets shot by American trigger happy forces. The special agent attending her is killed. Ever had anyone shot and killed in your lap? By high powered firearms?

And now you guys are calling her crazy and trying to erode her credibility when she offers clarification days later.

Quoting Funflyer (Reply 12):
Canadian, enough said.

Thank you for the complement. I assume that you meant that as a Canadian, I wouldn't ignore the UN and invade a sovereign country, then blame the UN and Iraq because its not going well.

And now let's blame this woman for getting shot and possibily making statements under duress....

Hell....speaking of Bush, he doesn't even need to be under the same sort of pressure. He says stupid shit all the time.

[Edited 2005-03-12 16:27:02]

STT757

Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:28 am

Quoting Solnabo (Reply 4):
US soldiers:

Shoot first, ask later!!

When it comes to speeding cars not stopping for a check point I would think that proper procedure would be to stop the vehicle to prevent a car bomber from getting too close, they only killed one person in the car. If they were really trying they could have blasted the car to pieces, it sounds to me as if they made attempts to stop the vehicle using small arms fire as opposed to destroying the vehicle with heavier caliber weapons.

If a car is speeding at my check point and does not stop when I signal then my first course of action would be to fire small arms rounds into the vehicle, if it still did not stop I would use heavier caliber weapons to destroy the threat.

Again only killing one person in an unarmored small rental car means they really did not open up on the car, rather they shot some small arms rounds into the vehicle as a second course of action after trying to signal the car. Their next course of action if the vehicle did not stop after using small arms rounds would be to use heavy caliber weapons to destroy the vehicle.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

ANCFlyer

Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:31 am

Quoting Airplay (Reply 14):
And now you guys are calling her crazy and trying to erode her credibility when she offers clarification days later.

I never called her crazy - read the last line in my post above. Here , let me post if for you in case you missed it.

I truly hope the final investigation shows that it was an accident, and if it turns out differently, the responsible parties need to be dealt with.

Don't put words in my mouth Airplay, don't twist what I've said so it plays into your Anti-American bullshit rhetoric.

Your consistent, anti-American post are becoming boring; tedious; usual, and worst predictable. They do give me something to do occasionally however. As I said before . . . . .

Ahh, but that won't matter to you will it Airplay? Won't matter to that kid Gary2880 either. Same with Solnabo. If it's broken, wrong, dead, shot, screwed up, it's either America's fault or Bush's fault. All your posts are so predictably anti-American I usually just gloss over them anymore. Simply not worth reading, and usually the same old bullshit.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

adam

Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:31 am

I agree airplay,

To be shot by US forces, and then have the man who "saved" her killed after her ordeal in captivity is just hard to imagine.

What would be going through your mind?
Texas: You'll come for the Alamo, You'll stay because you were wrongfully executed. - Conan O'Brian State Quarters

JetService

Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:37 am

She was just rescued from her captors

She was not rescued. A ransom was paid and she was released by her captors.
"Shaddap you!"

adam

Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:42 am

Quoting JetService (Reply 19):

How much of a ransom? Do you have a source link?
Texas: You'll come for the Alamo, You'll stay because you were wrongfully executed. - Conan O'Brian State Quarters

JetService

Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:44 am

How much of a ransom? Do you have a source link?

Link already provided in original post.
"Shaddap you!"

N5176Y
Topic Author

Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:47 am

So to recap:

She was targetted for assisination... changed her mind.

She was targetted by APV, then tanks, then... changed her mind.

She went through all the checkpoints... changed her mind, she stated she went through none.

She was assualted with 400 bullets which she picked up in "handfuls off the front seat, then she changed her mind.

SlamClick

Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:47 am

Quoting Gary2880 (Reply 11):
by now i highly doubt they are very well oiled, i bet their all so paranoid they would shoot a passing mosquito incase it was a terrorist

How very brave you must be.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

airplay

Sun Mar 13, 2005 1:08 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 16):
Don't put words in my mouth Airplay, don't twist what I've said so it plays into your Anti-American bullshit rhetoric.

Don't flatter yourself ANCFlyer. I said "you guys are calling her crazy". Its not hard to find the word crazy in this post from various contributors.

Anti-American? Thats a convenient label when you want to deflect attention from the facts. Nobody, it seems can criticize US policy or US actions without getting stuck with that label. Most however understand what it means. Just that you have accepted there is no way to reasonably discuss the topic while defending your views.

Quoting JetService (Reply 19):

To-MAY-toe, To-MAH-toe. As far as she was concerned she was rescued. This statement does however verify what I suspected. Some of you don't like what the Italians did to "rescue' her.

Quoting N5176Y (Reply 22):
So to recap:

She was targetted for assisination... changed her mind.

She was targetted by APV, then tanks, then... changed her mind.

She went through all the checkpoints... changed her mind, she stated she went through none.

She was assualted with 400 bullets which she picked up in "handfuls off the front seat, then she changed her mind.

And how exactly is all this a defining moment in this war? That's what I really don't understand. Are you guys (you can include yourself this time ANCFlyer) so disillusioned with the quagmire your government has created and the international embarrassment the US is suffering that you are looking for and little insignificant shred of news that shows a non-American screwing up a tiny bit, without considering the facts and conditions surrounding her original statement? Pathetic....

JetService

Sun Mar 13, 2005 1:20 am

Airplay, most people view a rescue as an operation of force that removes a captive hostage from the custody of the captors against the captors' will; whereas a release is an agreement under certain terms by both parties to hand custody over voluntarily. If you can't admit your mistake than that's OK. But don't pretend there isn't a profound difference between a rescue operation and providing a released hostage a ride home.
"Shaddap you!"

airplay

Sun Mar 13, 2005 1:27 am

Quoting JetService (Reply 25):
OK. But don't pretend there isn't a profound difference between a rescue operation and providing a released hostage a ride home.

OK...so you find yourself in the middle of Iraq in custody of kidnappers. Your government just paid a ransom for your release. Do you just get up and leave? I don't think you're giving the operation the recognition it deserves. Especially since they still had to make their way through trigger happy occupying forces. The results of the "rescue" were bittersweet. Hostage "rescued" but with casualties.

One definition from the dictionary:

rescue

n : recovery or preservation from loss or danger;

If you are in Iraq, you are in danger.

[Edited 2005-03-12 17:29:26]

N5176Y
Topic Author

Sun Mar 13, 2005 1:42 am

Quoting Airplay (Reply 24):
And how exactly is all this a defining moment in this war? That's what I really don't understand. Are you guys (you can include yourself this time ANCFlyer) so disillusioned with the quagmire your government has created and the international embarrassment the US is suffering that you are looking for and little insignificant shred of news that shows a non-American screwing up a tiny bit, without considering the facts and conditions surrounding her original statement? Pathetic....

No Airplay, what we find "pathetic" is people like yourself who believe anyword anybody says so long as it fits your political agenda. Whan its proven to be nothing but baseless lies, you and your cronies change your story in hopes that no one will notice.

Sgrena might have been able to publish whatever she wanted without any basis in fact in "Il Manifesto," but in the real world, you have to back up your statements. Since she couldn't she changed it.

And if you consider what "my government" is doing an "international embarrassment," then rest assured that I'll be voting for them again. If you hate it, then it must be worthwhile.

JetService

Sun Mar 13, 2005 1:48 am

OK...so you find yourself in the middle of Iraq in custody of kidnappers. Your government just paid a ransom for your release. Do you just get up and leave? I don't think you're giving the operation the recognition it deserves. Especially since they still had to make their way through trigger happy occupying forces. The results of the "rescue" were bittersweet. Hostage "rescued" but with casualties.

Call it whatever you want, dude. I'm not going to piss with you on it. I just figured since you're trying to make a point, you'd want to get the smaller details accurate so you get taken seriously (or at least have a chance to LOL). So again...call it a rescue, chief. Whatever works for you.
"Shaddap you!"

N5176Y
Topic Author

Sun Mar 13, 2005 1:49 am

Italian general states that "rescue mission" was to be conducted without telling US forces.

http://www.romandie.com/ats/newsATS/...172019048030.xml&associate=phf0419

Gary2880

Sun Mar 13, 2005 1:56 am

as i said before, when america was consulted about the resque about ken bigley, the iraqi government was going to meet the terrorists demands and free the women prisoners then bigley would be freed, america stuck their nose in said the women wouldnt be released and now hes dead, so yeah i think the italians did the smart thing in not letting the americans meddle in their affairs

airplay

Sun Mar 13, 2005 1:57 am

Quoting N5176Y (Reply 27):
No Airplay, what we find "pathetic" is people like yourself who believe anyword anybody says so long as it fits your political agenda.

Umm...I don't state anywhere that I believe(d) her original story or deny the clarificaton she offered.

Whan its proven to be nothing but baseless lies, you and your cronies change your story in hopes that no one will notice.

Again, why the anguish over what some obscure Italian reporter says? You should concentrate on some of the real issues in Iraq. Like all of the weapons of mass destruction littering the streets. Oh wait. That was a baseless lie. Sorry.

Sgrena might have been able to publish whatever she wanted without any basis in fact in "Il Manifesto," but in the real world, you have to back up your statements. Since she couldn't she changed it.

Yes. I agree. This is something FOX and CBS have learned the hard way this year. So why the outrage for some communist from Italy? Isn't this the sort of thing you would expect from "Commies" or just from Dan Rather?

curlyheadboy

Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:09 am

Dear U.S. friends,
I believe the shooting has been an incident, i can't even think it has been made on purpose. I don't give any credit to what Mrs. Sgrena said or will say, i know very well hers is not an independent review of facts but an attempt to use the sad events she's been through to put the blame on the USA and the Italian government. She is a communist, and i mean communist for real, not a left-winged progressist, she is an extremist. I am nevertheless pleased she has made it alive for i don't wish the death of anyone, included those whose ideals are so far from mine, but she should have kept her mouth shut, at least to show some respect for the man who died to rescue her.

On the other hand i do trust the other survivor of the shooting. He is a well-trained professional and wouldn't gain anything telling lies. He said they have been shot without warning, without flashing lights and so on. Hence i believe the US statement that they gave warning at the vehicle is not correct, he also said they told the US officials about the rescue attempt while the US denied that. Something has gone wrong, this is obvious, and someone must be responsible for that. I, as the most of the Italians, want to know why US soldiers opened fire on an allied vehicle, what didn't work with the communications, the ROE (whether they are inadequate or someone don't comply with them), the intelligence and so on. I expect both the US and the Italian government to provide a convincing explanation of the facts, to find the responsibilities and to prosecute those responsible. This said with no anti-US feeling and in the interest of both sides, to continue cooperating loyally in both military and civil contexts.
If God had wanted men to fly he would have given them more money...

SlamClick

Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:36 am

Quoting Gary2880 (Reply 28):
get over my age you narrow minded twat

It isn't your age, it is your ignorance turned up to such high volume that we find objectionable.
Now since your last three words quoted above are likely to get your post deleted I'm going to have to hurry.

"get over my age you narrow minded twat"
Capitalize first word of sentence.

" cince your in your 30s or 40s"
No such word as cince. Your is posessive. You're is contraction for 'you are' which seems to be what you meant.

"i wouldnt say age brings much sence"
Capitalize first person pronoun "I" No such word as "sence."

"if your anything to go by"
Wrong use of "your" again.

"rather be young and open minded than decreped"
Did you perhaps mean "decrepit?" I'll leave for someone else the probability that the "decrepit" person could kick your butt.

"and a right wing gun toating red neck yokel,"
Spelling: Toting And so much for your being "open minded."

"so sick of the shite your spouting"
Wrong use of "your" again. Learning disability here?

"hope your beloved gun goes off in your pocket and blows your nuts off"
Yep, I'm seeing some real open mindedness here.

"no wonder im anti american "
"im" What the hell is an im? Did you mean I'm the contraction for I am? And please capitalize the names of nations. To do otherwise is very bad manners.

"with arseholes like you in the country, i might even like the place if it was not infested with your kind, why dont you pull your head out of your arse and realise your country is not god,"
I only posted this passage because you used "your" correctly. Way to go!

"all the empires have crashed and burned eventualy, the vikings, the romans, the british empire their all gone"
How very observant of you not to have seen Vikings (note capitalization) or Romans in your neighborhood. Although the reports of the death of the Roman Empire are somewhat overstated. Under Constantine it converted to Christianity and is alive and well and covers more of the globe today under the Pope than it ever did under Caesar.
You do need to know this - "their" is posessive. What you meant was they're all gone.

"i cant wait till the words america and superpower are only on the back page of a histroy book"
Capitalize "I"
Spelling "can't"
"till" as a verb means to work the soil, as in farming, as a noun it is a cash drawer. The abbreviation for "until" is til or 'til
Capitalize America
Spelling "H-I-S-T-O-R-Y

And finally if it ever lands on the back page of a history book it is pretty obvious you won't read it.

We write exactly as well as we read. If we cannot read well, we cannot gain reliable new information. If I were you I would take a break from the internet and try to improve my comprehension of my own language and its rules. A good place to start is by getting someone to teach you why the rules exist in the first place.

It is pretty obvious to the majority of us here, left and right, that you have the mental and emotional development of a five-year-old, the vocabulary of a ten-year-old and lack the wit to hide your shortcomings.

There is no shame in being young. Everyone starts out young. You, on the other hand are so proud of your ignorance, you shout it out at such volume that it utterly undermines any point you might be trying to make.

So, what do you want to have happen? Do you wish to convince, to persuade? Or do you just wish to insult?

If you want to insult people you have to gain some credibility first, so that your opinion matters.

Again, it is not your youth, it is your ignorance.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

Russophile

Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:00 am

Quoting JetService (Reply 25):
Airplay, most people view a rescue as an operation of force that removes a captive hostage from the custody of the captors against the captors' will; whereas a release is an agreement under certain terms by both parties to hand custody over voluntarily.

So what was Jessica Lynch?

Wasn't she also going to be handed over to US forces by the Iraqi doctors, but when they tried to do this, the US forces fired upon the ambulance which was carrying her?

dl021

Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:12 am

Quoting Solnabo (Reply 4):
Codex among triggerhappy US soldiers:

Shoot first, ask later!!

This is the reason no-one takes you seriously. Completely ignorant and asinine.

Quoting Gary2880 (Reply 11):
i almost agreed with you there i thought you said they are ass's

I think you'd probably wet your pants if you were manning a checkpoint in a place where carbombers are common and a vehicle was hauling ass in your direction...

Quoting Russophile (Reply 34):
So what was Jessica Lynch?
Wasn't she also going to be handed over to US forces by the Iraqi doctors, but when they tried to do this, the US forces fired upon the ambulance which was carrying her?

What?? Non-responsive to the issue and attempting to divert attention to something that has no bearing on the issue.

The above quotes prove that some people will believe anything that reinforces their point of view. If you want to hate American attitudes and actions, well, listen to the above. If you want the truth, then dig a little deeper and do some analysis of the facts without predisposition.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

Russophile

Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:26 am

Quoting DL021 (Reply 35):
What?? Non-responsive to the issue and attempting to divert attention to something that has no bearing on the issue.

It has every bearing on the 'issue' -- the 'issue' in this thread basically being what a rescue actually is. So, keeping in the spirit of what this thread has become, was Jessica Lynch rescued?

JetService

Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:17 am

It has every bearing on the 'issue' -- the 'issue' in this thread basically being what a rescue actually is.

Not really; its about the Italian broad changing her story....but oh well.

Edit: Oh and Jessica Lynch was absolutely rescued. She was heroically rescued BY the Iraqi doctors from the hands of the Hussein regime.

[Edited 2005-03-12 22:20:26]
"Shaddap you!"

dl021

Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:30 am

Quoting Russophile (Reply 36):
It has every bearing on the 'issue' -- the 'issue' in this thread basically being what a rescue actually is. So, keeping in the spirit of what this thread has become, was Jessica Lynch rescued?

Actual topic description
Italian Journalist Changes Her Story...

You are changing the topic to pursue a diverging point. If you want to argue this point, ok...the Italian reporter for the communist periodical who asked her captors why they kidnapped her instead of an American was ransomed by her government so that she could return to attacking the US in print. She was being transported in a car down a very dangerous highway without escort and was attacked by soldiers manning a checkpoint who say that they were unaware that the vehicle was being driven by our valiant Italian allies and that they did not slow to meet the checkpoint.

Now, if you want to dispute the facts, then fine. Start a different thread.

This thread is about the Italian reporter for the communist periodical (small wonder this attracted russophiles attention) changing her story about how she was personally targeted by the Americans.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

airplay

Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:04 am

It's quite interesting that the subject of Jessica Lynch came up. Remember in the early days of her abduction the pentagon described her as a real fighter who fought with her captors hand to hand once she ran out of ammunition.

I guess now we know the real story.

http://neovox.cortland.edu/wire/wire_86/wire_86.html

Did she change it? In Jessica's oreal it was the Pentagon who was doing the word-play. She had to correct them once she had a chance. With such outlandish strories coming from the Pentagon, its little wonder people distrust the US government. Even Jessica had some pretty strong words to describe her dissapointment with the Pentagon.

Quoting JetService (Reply 37):
Edit: Oh and Jessica Lynch was absolutely rescued. She was heroically rescued BY the Iraqi doctors from the hands of the Hussein regime.

Yes....then by American troops in a totally rehearsed and carefully scripted mission. There's a good chance Jessica would have had to wait awhile if she wasn't so darned cute!

NoUFO

Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:14 am

Quoting Airplay (Reply 10):
I read the article and I really don't see what the big deal is. Her story hasn't changed. It looks like she is providing clarification. But lets focus on the facts. She was shot, and and a man was killed by American service men.

Exactly. And Sgrena urges for an investigation. What's wrong with that, even if she's really anti-American?
I understand, American soldiers are more than nervous in Iraq. More than 1,500 soldiers died, and I would be nervous or "trigger-happy" (pick one), too.
What I don't get is why some of you act as if Mrs Sgrena ruined your party.
I support the right to arm bears

N5176Y
Topic Author

Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:19 am

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 40):

She stated that US forces deliberatly wanted to kill her. I find that highly offensive.

NoUFO

Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:31 am

Quoting N5176Y (Reply 41):
She stated that US forces deliberatly wanted to kill her.

According to the sources I came across she always said she could not tell whether or not the soldiers tried to kill her. You may say that's offensive enough, but she never said it was attempted murder.

N5176Y
Topic Author

Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:40 am

And I quote:

"“Everyone knows that the Americans don’t want hostages to be freed by negotiations, and for that reason, I don't see why I should rule out that I was their target." - Sgrena

NoUFO

Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:46 am

As I told you before: She says she could not tell if they actually tried to kill her. She wants an investigation - be it for the sake of the killed security officer.

airplay

Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:48 am

Quoting N5176Y (Reply 36):
She stated that US forces deliberatly wanted to kill her. I find that highly offensive.

She was shot and a man was killed right in front of her by American forces after being freed from her captors. If I was her I would be highly offended!

Perhaps we should wait until an independant investigation is made before we get all offended. Lets hope this won't turn into another Abu Ghraib. Based on that fiasco, she may have a point.

adam

Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:58 am

Quoting N5176Y (Reply 36):
Quoting NoUFO (Reply 40):

Well excuse her for her offensiveness, she was just shot and the man who negotiated her release was just killed.

ANCFlyer

Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:27 am

Quoting Airplay (Reply 40):
Perhaps we should wait until an independant investigation is made before we get all offended.

Well that's the first intelligent, reasonable thing you've said in this entire thread . . . .

Exactly what I mentioned way back.

IF an investigation proves there was any indication of improper activity - by either the American troops or the Italian reporter - it shold be dealt with.

Until then, perhaps Airplay you and your anti-American co-conspirators can stand by with your accusations. And I know perfectly well what the label means - and that fact that you use it - or infer it - constantly contrary to your earlier spewing in reply #19.

f.pier

Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:17 pm

Despite italian government declaration, newspapers and TV news said teh amount of the ransom paid is € 6.000.000

I think this is a very bad behavior, because now those people know that when they need money, they can kidnap someone and the ransom payment is sure.

By the way, the amount of Simona & Simona rescue (some month ago) is supposed to be of about € 3.000.000

L-188

Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:20 pm

Quoting F.pier (Reply 42):
Despite italian government declaration, newspapers and TV news said teh amount of the ransom paid is € 6.000.000

I think this is a very bad behavior, because now those people know that when they need money, they can kidnap someone and the ransom payment is sure.

By the way, the amount of Simona & Simona rescue (some month ago) is supposed to be of about € 3.000.000

Lesson for the Kidnappers, pick up an Italian National, they are profitable.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

NoUFO

Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:25 pm

Whether or not a ransom was paid is not an issue here.

airplay

Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:21 am

Quoting L-188 (Reply 43):
Lesson for the Kidnappers, pick up an Italian National, they are profitable.

Lesson for American nationals. If you're kidnapped, you're gonna die....

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 41):
Until then, perhaps Airplay you and your anti-American co-conspirators can stand by with your accusations. And I know perfectly well what the label means - and that fact that you use it - or infer it - constantly contrary to your earlier spewing in reply #19.

Gee ANCFlyer. Thanks for being the moral voice of this thread. What would we do without your scolding and misguided smariness.....

Smile

Fermarta

Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:45 am

Quoting F.pier (Reply 42):

And according to an Spanish newspaper on Thursday, the release of two Al - Qaeda members in Jordan.

After this incident, the Italian Govt. has said that no more ransoms will be paid, and that the Italian forces in Irak are only responsible for the safety of those working there under their protection. We'll see.
Otros vendrán que bueno te harán

MD11Engineer

Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:38 am

Mrs. Sgrena was also working for the centrist-conservative, highly respected German weekly "Die Zeit", so you can´t just dismiss her by calling her a communist.

BTW, after the rise of a homegrown kidnapping industry in particulary southern Italy during the 70s and 80s, the property of the hostage´s family gets immideately seized and frozen by the government to prevent the paying of ransom money. This law, together with hard prosecution dried up the industry (as a branch of organised crime).

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

L-188

Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:47 am

Quoting Airplay (Reply 45):
Lesson for American nationals. If you're kidnapped, you're gonna die....

So fight/shoot back until you kill your abductors.

Considering what those godless thugs do in the name of Allah, you are probably better off geting a bullet in the attempt.

Quoting Fermarta (Reply 46):
And according to an Spanish newspaper on Thursday, the release of two Al - Qaeda members in Jordan.

After this incident, the Italian Govt. has said that no more ransoms will be paid, and that the Italian forces in Irak are only responsible for the safety of those working there under their protection. We'll see.

Somebody in another thread reminded me of the time that the Italian Government seized the terrorists that had held the Achelle Laurel back in the 1980's. In that case a US operation that successfully forced the plane to divert to a US base in Italy was foiled because the Italian Authorties claimed jurisdiction over the terrorists, who where within a couple days released.

So there is definately a history of the Italian government being soft of terrorisim.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

jaysit

Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:55 am

Summary of the story:

Trigger happy GI Joes shoot Italian Commie b*tch.
Atheism is Myth Understood.