Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

lowrider

RE: Judge Strikes Down CA Gay Marriage Ban

Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:08 am

As much as I am opposed to gay marriage, I think this is an issue which should be kept out of the federal courts and federal legislature. Let the states decide for themselves whether or not this is something they want. People then have the option to move to an area that best fits them. This allows you to protest your state's decision by leaving and denying them your tax dollars and similarly rewarding the states you agree with. Everyone gets what they want in that case. I think this is the best way to keep one group from oppressing another. I understand some people will protest because moving can be difficult and expensive, but it will come down to how important your beliefs are. The US may have once been a predominantly Christian nation, but that now appears to be in some doubt. Therefore, expanding states' rights will allow states to better tailor themselves to thier populations. The only thing the federal government needs to do is to not force states to recognize a marriage from another state if it does not meet the definition of marriage in the first state.
Proud OOTSK member

MaverickM11

Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:09 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 45):
Depends if you like to rely on polls

When the poll is 70/30 it's tough to question it.

Quoting Daedaeg (Reply 42):
This will definitely lead to a constitutional referendum for the California voters come 2006. Now California along with 13 other states will make gay marriage unconstitutional.

This is probably true.
I don't take responsibility at all

N1120A

Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:22 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 51):

Not really

Quoting Daedaeg (Reply 42):
This will definitely lead to a constitutional referendum for the California voters come 2006. Now California along with 13 other states will make gay marriage unconstitutional.

This is probably true.

First, this will not pass the CA legislature and will likely recieve much more opposition from the electorate if a petition drive works. Beyond that, it still violates full faith and credit and any marriage in MA or another state will have to be honored. Not to mention, there would be ex post facto concerns for those married in the State of California in the interim.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

jpetekyxmd80

Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:35 am

Quoting Lowrider (Reply 50):
Let the states decide for themselves whether or not this is something they want. People then have the option to move to an area that best fits them.

What an awful idea. Having different standards all over the country. People being forced to move from their home to attain equal rights? Would the home states rights take precedent over the rights of another state if they are there? This is a short term solution, band-aid, if you will. It might be a step in the right direction, but there is going to have to be a ruling on the national level.

Quoting Lekohawk (Reply 29):
Hmm... I respectfully disagree with the premise you're setting up there

Don't get me wrong, that is what i want to see happen eventually. I just dont think that this swing for the fences policy will be successful, it has to happen step by step with equal rights and benefits coming first.
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

11Bravo

Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:02 am

Quoting JpetekYXMD80 (Reply 53):
Don't get me wrong, that is what i want to see happen eventually. I just dont think that this swing for the fences policy will be successful, it has to happen step by step with equal rights and benefits coming first.

I agree with your sentiment, but the courts are going to be very reluctant, as the judge in this decision clearly states, to establish any ruling that accepts the concept of “Separate but Equal” as defined in Brown v. Board of Education.

A potential solution to all of this is to do away with “marriage” as a legally recognized status for everyone and replace it with civil unions that can be entered into by any two adults including gays. Then leave it up to churches as to whether or not they want to sanction a particular civil union as a “marriage”.
WhaleJets Rule!

mdsh00
Topic Author

Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:32 am

Quoting 11Bravo (Reply 54):

A potential solution to all of this is to do away with “marriage” as a legally recognized status for everyone and replace it with civil unions that can be entered into by any two adults including gays. Then leave it up to churches as to whether or not they want to sanction a particular civil union as a “marriage”.

I think that would be the perfect solution to all this mess. Unfortunately exremists on either side are unwilling to budge.

MaverickM11

Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:21 am

"Not really"

Yes really. Just about all, if not every, anti-gay marriage referendum in the last election past with an overwhelming majority. Americans currently do not want gay marriage.

Superfly

Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:39 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 56):
Yes really. Just about all, if not every, anti-gay marriage referendum in the last election past with an overwhelming majority. Americans currently do not want gay marriage.

Very true but I think a lot of people voted this way hoping they would never have a gay son or daughter. I know it sounds stupid but people can be moved to make stupid decisions like this.
Many people who vote against gay marriage do this out of disapproval of there lifestyle. Also many are confused as to who this would effect there religions.
I spoke with people here in California that voted in favor of the 'Knight Initiative' because they thought the law would mandate that the Church have to recognize and carry out this law.

The proposition clearly states that it does not but how many people actually read there voter handbook?

All these anti-gay initiatives do is give people an avenue to vent there personal prejudices cowardly in the privacy of the ballot box.
This is typical right-wing conservative politics. Preying on people’s anger and fears bringing out the worst in voters.
Bring back the Concorde

jpetekyxmd80

Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:42 am

There would be no need for a surpreme court or large judicial system if the court of public opinion was always right and just.

Enough said.

MaverickM11

Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:43 am

"This is typical right-wing conservative politics. Preying on people’s anger and fears bringing out the worst in voters."

This is typical politics, not left or right wing. Both parties are guilty of constantly playing up fear of the other party's positions.

Superfly

Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:51 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 59):
This is typical politics, not left or right wing. Both parties are guilty of constantly playing up fear of the other party's positions.

The left have NEVER proposed propisitions limiting the freedoms of others.
This sickness is only found on the right.
Bring back the Concorde

jaysit

Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:06 am

Spare me your third rate garbage re-writing of history.

It fails the laugh test.

Right wing conservatives have been on the wrong side of virtually every social battle in history. They've been against women's rights, women's suffrage, voting rights for people of color, basic human rights for gays. The list goes on.

If it weren't for the liberal left battling for every single human right we hold dear in this country, you'd be thinking twice before you stuck your revisionist head out of your closet.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

MaverickM11

Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:09 am

"Right wing conservatives have been on the wrong side of virtually every social battle in history"

"If it weren't for the liberal left battling for every single human right we hold dear in this country, "

Wow.

Superfly

Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:10 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 62):
Wow.

Well are you at least learning something?
Bring back the Concorde

MaverickM11

Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:19 am

"Well are you at least learning something?"

"Learning" from you two sisters-grim is like "learning" from the Nazi era German textbooks extolling the virtues of the German poet Shakespeare.

Superfly

Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:29 am

MaverickM11:
So I guess you have nothing constructive to contribute to this thread from your last post.
Bring back the Concorde

MaverickM11

Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:52 am

"So I guess you have nothing constructive to contribute to this thread from your last post."

If you and Jaysit are going to turn this into partisan baseless attacks, then I don't believe you're in any standing to point out what's constructive and what's not.

jpetekyxmd80

Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:56 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 66):
If you and Jaysit are going to turn this into partisan baseless attacks, then I don't believe you're in any standing to point out what's constructive and what's not.

Might want to add B757300 to that list!  Smile

SFOMEX

Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:01 am

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 61):
Right wing conservatives have been on the wrong side of virtually every social battle in history. They've been against women's rights, women's suffrage, voting rights for people of color, basic human rights for gays.

Such statement is neither fair nor real. It's a huge distortion to equal conservatism to bigotry. To be against abortion, for instance, it's not the same as be against women's rights or women's suffrage. Your rhetoric is good for a campus activist's meeting, but it's a disservice for real liberalism.
The only thing worst than the GOP is the Democratic Party, think about it!

Boeing7E7

Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:03 am

Quoting B757300 (Reply 1):
More legislating from the bench by a black robed, gavel pounding tyrant.

Yup. And people are affraid of Guns?

Superfly

Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:09 am

SFOMEX:
I wouldn't expect you to know too much about US history down there in Mexico.
You may want to take a time out and pick up a U.S. history book and read about the hard fought strugles or women, minorities and all labor laws. Look at those who were against equality here in the US. There is a pattern. If you were of the class in Mexico that went to school, I think you should know this.
Bring back the Concorde

jpetekyxmd80

Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:12 am

Quoting Boeing7E7 (Reply 69):
Yup. And people are affraid of Guns?

Get a life. Would you rather be shot than give equal rights? Seriously, what the hell is your point?

Boeing7E7

Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:16 am

Quoting JpetekYXMD80 (Reply 71):
Get a life. Would you rather be shot than give equal rights? Seriously, what the hell is your point?

A gun owner gone nuts affects at most 100 people, a judge that goes nuts, several million.

A pen is always mightier than a sword.

[Edited 2005-03-16 02:17:07]

jpetekyxmd80

Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:19 am

Gone nuts a.k.a. gone sensible. Would love to hear your bigotry justification.

david b.

Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:25 am

Only 100? Where the hell did you get that half-ass idea from?
Teenage-know-it-alls should be shot on sight

Boeing7E7

Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:26 am

So if a people vote one way and a judge who favors your view decides another than he is right and the rest of the people should go unheard?

Why bother voting on anything? Hell, why bother having a legislature at all. We'll just let the judges make new laws for everything rather than do their job and apply the laws legislated.

jpetekyxmd80

Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:30 am

Judges decide upon the Constitutionality of laws.

And once again..Would love to hear your bigotry justification.

SFOMEX

Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:32 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 70):
I wouldn't expect you to know too much about US history down there in Mexico.

So now you have to go to an American school to learn about American history. That's a lame argument. FYI, I went to an American college for three years, but that is utterly irrelevant for this discussion. Of course, you don't seem to be angry with the foreigners who post on this issue who happen to agree with you, I guess they meet your standards.

You may want to take a time out and pick up a U.S. history book and read about the hard fought strugles or women, minorities and all labor laws

I know more than you think about US history. I neither need nor want your approval on the matter, but if you really need to be sure feel free to send me your questions. BTW, I know first hand about minorities struggles in modern America, not only because of some books, but because I lived among Hispanics in Sacramento and the San Francisco Bay Area. I'm far of being an expert, but I can risk an opinion and stand for it.

If you were of the class in Mexico that went to school, I think you should know this.

I won't go down to your level here. If going personal is part of your liberal values, I don't want to share it.
The only thing worst than the GOP is the Democratic Party, think about it!

Boeing7E7

Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:35 am

So because I disagree with your opinion I'm a bigot? Maybe you're the bigot for not agreeing with my point of view? Ever consider that? Who determines what is and what is not acceptable to the point that ones disagreement makes them a bigot? You? Last time I checked, gay marriage was not a social norm.

skyservice_330

Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:37 am

Same-sex marriage has been legal in 7 of the 11 provinces here in Canada for a while now. Gays in Canada have just as much a right to be as miserable and depressed as every other married straight couple in Canada now. People say homosexuals are ruining marriage, hell I say marriage is ruining homosexuals!  Silly

jpetekyxmd80

Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:40 am

I am not the one trying to withold rights/discriminate against people.

Quoting Boeing7E7 (Reply 78):
Last time I checked, gay marriage was not a social norm.

Norm, from normal. If you think there is such thing as 'normal' that is your first problem. And before any group of people was given equal rights...it was not the social norm to do so..what a weak argument!

Go ahead and keep throwing it back at me before answering the question...

skyservice_330

Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:47 am

Amen JpetekYXMD80!
Normal is a setting on a washing machine...thats about it.

Keep trying.

N1120A

Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:48 am

Quoting Boeing7E7 (Reply 72):
a judge that goes nuts, several million.

A judge that goes nuts huh? I guess upholding the equal protection portions of both state and federal constitutions is a bad thing  Confused

Quoting SFOMEX (Reply 68):
It's a huge distortion to equal conservatism to bigotry.

Honesty is not a distortion.

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 66):
If you and Jaysit are going to turn this into partisan baseless attacks

This is not partisan, it is about the constitutional rights of people to equal protection. It is also about right and wrong, and Judge Kramer, Jaysit and Jaypet are right
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

PacificWestern

Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:11 am

Quoting Boeing7E7 (Reply 78):
So because I disagree with your opinion I'm a bigot? Maybe you're the bigot for not agreeing with my point of view? Ever consider that? Who determines what is and what is not acceptable to the point that ones disagreement makes them a bigot? You? Last time I checked, gay marriage was not a social norm.

Oh my. How embarrassing for you Boeing7E7.

jpetekyxmd80

Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:21 am

Quoting PacificWestern (Reply 83):
Oh my. How embarrassing for you Boeing7E7.

He also sent me an IM calling me an 'ass pirate' and to 'grow out of your diapers before you start shit with someone nearly twice your age' !!

B2707SST

Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:23 am

Quoting 11Bravo (Reply 54):

Here here.

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 61):
Right wing conservatives have been on the wrong side of virtually every social battle in history. They've been against women's rights, women's suffrage, voting rights for people of color, basic human rights for gays. The list goes on.

Remind me again who wrote the Emancipation Proclaimation? Which party controlled the Congresses that passed the 13th, 14th, and 15th Amendments? Which party did everything in its power to subvert those amendments?

Which party controlled the Congress that passed the 19th Amendment? Here's your answer: the 66th Congress was 54% Republican and 45% Democratic. In the Senate, 82% of Republicans voted to pass the 19th Amendment compared to 54% of Democrats. The vote came after a prolonged Democratic attempt to filibuster it failed.

As for civil rights:

Percentage of Congressional Democrats voting for the Civil Rights Act of 1964: 64%
Percentage of Congressional Republicans voting for the Civil Rights Act of 1964: 80%

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_Rights_Act_of_1964

--B2707SST
Keynes is dead and we are living in his long run.

lehpron

Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:32 am

• How many people participated, how long was it Most scientific polls end with just under a thousand hits claiming a pattern shows up by then where it wouldn't matter how many people were polled, so they quit. Secondly, in order to be scientific the pollers must be accurately positioned with the population; being a level number of people from different backgrounds and classes for example.

• Was there sufficient knowledge regarding what was polled? Ignorance is an issue, too vast for me to go into for now.

• Of whom were the poll(s) aimed at? I have never seen any national polls, they aren't asking me. My point is that a result can be curved if a question is asked of a certain group and their known responses. Differences in opinion do vary simply by those who want to voice their opinions and those that do not.

• Could the results be altered as one person can hit more than once? Internet polls are like this and IMO nowadays, should not be trusted.

• The only reason people trust them is beccause it sounds right to them, accuracy will not matter. Just like for you MaverickM11, that polls of 70/30 sure seems tough to question, I'm sure you do not want to.

[Edited 2005-03-16 03:33:03]
    The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.

11Bravo

Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:12 pm

Quoting B2707SST (Reply 85):
    Which party did everything in its power to subvert those amendments?

That argument is more than a bit disingenuous. You have made careful attribution to specific political parties as they relate to these civil rights issues. You have neglected, however, to mention that the political ideologies of the respected parties are not currently the same as they were in the last half of the 19th Century and the first half of the 20th Century. During that period the largely southern Democratic Party was conservative and the Republican Party was liberal.

With regard to the Civil Rights Movement of the 1960’s many of the most noteworthy obstructionists were again white southern Democrats (Dixicrats). Those very same people are now what makes up the core of the Republican Party.

[Edited 2005-03-16 04:14:01]
    WhaleJets Rule!

Boeing7E7

Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:13 pm

Quoting PacificWestern (Reply 83):
    Oh my. How embarrassing for you Boeing7E7

I made a comment on activist judges for which I was called a bigot. My commentary on the issue has nothing to do with my opinion on gay marriage, and everything to do with my opinion of judges legislating from the bench. Only the inept are capable of taking it out of context. Perhaps next time he/she/it won't jump to conclusions.

jpetekyxmd80

Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:37 pm

If you were only talking about legislating from the bench and not inferring your opposition to gay marriage, you really should have clarified that given the context of this thread. Also given your posting history, it is pretty obvious that you are conservative and that you are against gay marriage. And as if calling me an 'ass pirate' left any doubt.

Quoting Boeing7E7 (Reply 88):
    Only the inept are capable of taking it out of context.

That'd be pretty much everyone in this thread then...

Perhaps next time he/she/it won't jump to conclusions.

You are such a classy guy!

MaverickM11

Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:44 pm

"The only reason people trust them is beccause it sounds right to them, accuracy will not matter. Just like for you MaverickM11, that polls of 70/30 sure seems tough to question, I'm sure you do not want to."

Another airliners.net lightweight assuming incorrectly. I'm shocked.

Here's what happened:

"More than 20 million Americans voted on the measures [11, banning gay marriage], which triumphed overall by a 2-to-1 ratio. In the four Southern states, the amendments received at least three-quarters of the votes, including 86 percent in Mississippi; the closest outcome besides Oregon was in Michigan, where the ban got 59 percent. "

Now tell me more about questioning those 70/30 polls....  Yeah sure

Airlinerfreak

Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:55 pm

Boeing7E7, having a disagreement in opinion should not cause you to attack Justin. Also just because you are twice his age does mean you are much wiser, with the way you are showing yourself in this thread you are acting like a three year old. I am not saying this because I hate you or lost respect for you, but because I want to help you. I do not agree with Justin but I am not attacking him nor do I hate him. But my opinion on gay marriage is as follows.....

In this country children are not born to be racist, they are not born to be polite, they are not born to be strait or gay, we teach them what is right. By promoting same sex marriage we are promoting to children that it is ok to be gay and lesbian. Not that it isn't it is just not what we are here to do. We are here to be fruitful and multiply and by being gay or lesbian we are not promoting this. Also, I think that this judge has no justification in doing what he is. I think this will get appealed all the way to the Supreme Court, and that's where the final decision will be made, not with some judge who may think being gay is ok. I don't think it will ever be ok, yet at the same time I don't think there will ever be a constitutional amendment saying that you cant marry gay. I think they are going to leave it as it is where the states decide. Under the 10th amendment that is what happens it is the states decision. Notice it did not say a judges decision yet it is the states.

jpetekyxmd80

Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:58 pm

Psh..like i trust the general public to always be just and right.

The reason the electoral college was formed was because the framers were scared to shit of having the public entirely decide the Presidency.

Its why we have the checks and balances system today, so branches can keep each other in check. You can say all you want about 70/30 but it aint changing my mind, and look for that number to steadly even out in the future!

MaverickM11

Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:08 pm

"Psh..like i trust the general public to always be just and right.
    "

Who cares who you trust to be right? The public was polled and the public voted...and in a rare instance in the last election, the polls were not far off on public sentiment re: gay marriage, whether you or I like it or not.

Airlinerfreak

Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:11 pm

It's also your opinion, it does not matter with what the General Public thniks.....

jpetekyxmd80

Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:13 pm

I'm just saying you cannot expect the court of public opinion to be the best judge of constitutionality and rights in an issue like this. Wonder what the opinions of people where during the progression of the Civil Rights movement...

PacificWestern

Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:38 pm

I made a comment on activist judges for which I was called a bigot. My commentary on the issue has nothing to do with my opinion on gay marriage, and everything to do with my opinion of judges legislating from the bench. Only the inept are capable of taking it out of context. Perhaps next time he/she/it won't jump to conclusions.

And what sort of conclusions should be drawn from you messaging Justin and calling him an "ass pirate"? You're losing your ability to disguise your hatred and bigotry as rational thought. I suppose that makes you an "ass pirate", but without the "pirate". And only the adept are capable of seeing you for what you really are.

Honestly Sweetie....I've been called far worse than a he/she/it. Pity you cannot boast the same.

11Bravo

Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:38 pm

Here's a number of poll results from different sources.

http://www.pollingreport.com/civil.htm

The data are a bit old, but probably still pretty good. Looks to be a 60/40 split against gay marriage.
    WhaleJets Rule!

Boeing7E7

Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:03 pm

Quoting PacificWestern (Reply 96):
    Honestly Sweetie....

Thanks, but no thanks.

And as if calling me an 'ass pirate' left any doubt.

After being called a bigot, just calling it like I see it.

And what sort of conclusions should be drawn from you messaging Justin and calling him an "ass pirate"?

Let's see.. Perhaps the same from when one is called a bigot?

[Edited 2005-03-16 06:07:48]

lowrider

Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:10 pm

Quoting JpetekYXMD80 (Reply 53):
    What an awful idea. Having different standards all over the country. People being forced to move from their home to attain equal rights? Would the home states rights take precedent over the rights of another state if they are there? This is a short term solution, band-aid, if you will. It might be a step in the right direction, but there is going to have to be a ruling on the national level.

I disagree, it seems to be the best way to keep one group from forcing thier set of values and morals on the other. As for equal rights, I do not see where there is an inequality currently. Any man and any woman can wed provided they are not violating incest statutes. How much more equal do you want? What is being demanded is additional, special rights for a certain subgroup.

As for what takes precedence, the state where you are currently residing. If you choose to move out of that state, then the marriage laws would have to factor into the decision. If there is to be a ruling on a national level, then I will fight tooth and nail against gay marriage. This is at least a comprimise both sides can live with.
    Proud OOTSK member