Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DC10GUY
Topic Author

Is It Worth It?

Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:50 am

I'm sure this Time piece will be shot down by the righties as a "liberal" rag. But I think its a good piece of journalism. http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1037641-1,00.html Anyway read this and ask yourself ...Is this Iraqi war worth it ??? I say no.
Next time try the old "dirty Sanchez" She'll love it !!!

airplay

RE: Is It Worth It?

Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:32 pm

That's like asking someone with lung cancer if smoking was worth it. Or even worse, asking someone who was robbed if it was worth it.

I don't see the occupation of Iraq as an investment or a calculated risk. Its pure idiocy. It defies logic. You can't apply value or worth to something like that.

I don't know how Bush can sleep at night or look at himself in the mirror in the morning....

[Edited 2005-03-15 05:33:44]

174thfwff

Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:36 pm

There really is never an end to these almost pointless discussions, is there?
You are going to have the usual "Yes" and "No" and "sorta", but these posts don't change anything, nor do they help improve anything going on right now. Further, all it's going to turn into is a flame war.

Yes, it was worth it. People were going hungry because of that stupid Oil for Food project that has now ended, people have a choice to their government, and overall a horrible person is now at the mercy of our kindness...

[Edited 2005-03-15 05:41:51]
Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, Staten, Uptown, what now? Lets make it happen.

Falcon84

Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:50 pm

174, I usually don't disagree with you, but on this one, I strongly disagree. It certainly wasn't worth the over 1500 Amerian deaths; it hasn't furthered the freedom or safety of the American people on iota; it painted us as a bully and a thug, and our President as a man who wanted this war more than anything he's ever wanted; it's lowered our esteem in the world; it has Iraq on an uncertain future, that still could lead to a civil war, and will lead, I believe to an Islamic Republic as stridently anti-American as the one next door to it.

The billions we've shitted down the toilet, and the American lives lost were not worth it, not one bit.
Work Right, Fly Hard

174thfwff

Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:03 pm

We have to take a step back and look at the overall picture leading up to the war guys. As Americans, we had to make a choice for better or worse. Numerous times Clinton and Gore stated their uneasiness about Iraq due to their possible WMD's. Heck we even bombed them at times through out the Clinton administration, because of this fear. But that was as far as Clinton was willing to go. After Sept 11th, we realized people were not afraid to come to us and play hardball. The choice our president made was to go in based on the evidence our shitty intelligence agencies collected and presented, the American public demanding to be protected, and a whole skew of other reasons. We went in there, looked, and no WMD's were there. Okay, our fuck up...but I'd rather make this mistake, kick out a horrible person while making this mistake then let him sit in his Sandbox and let him play with whatever toys he wants.
Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, Staten, Uptown, what now? Lets make it happen.

DC10GUY
Topic Author

Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:28 pm

174 your right. But my question is "is it worth it" Iraq was no immediate threat to the US. ( except the threat to the oil ) These 11,500 crippled for life people where crippled for what ??? The freedom of the Iraqi people ??? Why are they so special ??? 1,500 Americans have died. No one knows how many Iraqi people have died. Still no change in terror, no Bin Ladin.

DLKAPA

Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:35 pm

Quoting 174thfwff (Reply 4):
We went in there, looked, and no WMD's were there. Okay, our fuck up..

Only problem was that the people who were saying "no WMD's" were ignored. Fact is, we didn't go in there and look, we just went in.
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

ANCFlyer

Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:18 pm

Another "Screw the War", "Screw Bush", etc thread . . . I'm not playing this time . . . . it's old news, it's done, we can't stop it, we have to finish it, get over it.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

DC10GUY
Topic Author

Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:33 pm

Ok, but was/is it worth it ?

airplay

Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:15 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 7):
Another "Screw the War", "Screw Bush", etc thread . . . I'm not playing this time . . . . it's old news, it's done, we can't stop it, we have to finish it, get over it.

You sound a little bitter....

airplay

Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:20 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 7):

You sound a little bitter....

SlamClick

Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:20 am

Quoting Airplay (Reply 1):
I don't see the occupation of Iraq as an investment or a calculated risk. Its pure idiocy. It defies logic. You can't apply value or worth to something like that.

I don't know how Bush can sleep at night or look at himself in the mirror in the morning....

You sound a little bitter.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

bravo7e7

Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:23 am

MaverickM11

Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:24 am

If the Middle East/Muslim/Arab world becomes democtratic, the answer will be categorically and undeniably, YES.
I don't take responsibility at all

L-188

Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:26 am

The people that write opinion pieces like that one, are the same people who don't give a rats ass that they also condemmed the people of Laos and Vietnam to living under the iron fist of communist rule for the past 40 years.

The arab terrorists that are continuing to fight the Iraqi people (The majority are not Iraqi nationals) are counting on a weak american public to cave in. Best thing we can do as a nation is buck up and give the Iraqi's the support that they need to finish the process of regaining their freedom.

We started that road for them last year, now we need to finish it.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

11Bravo

Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:28 am

Quoting DC10GUY (Reply 8):
Ok, but was/is it worth it ?

I don't think anyone can have an informed answer for you until we see where it all ends up in five or ten years. At this point, like it or not, we just don't know the end of the story. It may turn out to be transformative and positive, or it may be a counterproductive boondoggle. Only time will tell.
WhaleJets Rule!

bravo7e7

Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:33 am

DC10GUY, I don't understand what the hell you are saying. You leftist guys are so quick to say how every life counts, how about this:

Even conservative reports by human rights organizations, United Nations commissioners and exiled Iraqis estimate that at least 1.5 million Iraqis have been killed to keep Saddam in power. The murdered include some 15,000 Kurds who were attacked to chemical attacks in 1988.

Thats right. Thats just to keep Saddam in power. There were millions of other deaths that happened in Iraq as a result of terrorism. Now we have 1500 Americans dead, and thousands of Iraqis. Guess what? We aredoing better then Saddam, and overall more lives have been saved. Every life is equal, whether Iraqi or American, right?