Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Falcon84
Topic Author

Bush Picks...WOLFWITZ? For World Bank

Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:16 am

Pardon me, while I laugh my ass off. This goes up there with the neanderthal Bush picked to head the UN Deletagion. Another anti-foreigner, cowboy, being the head of the U.S. in an international organization.

http://money.cnn.com/2005/03/16/news...ional/world_bank/index.htm?cnn=yes

Silly

At least it gets him out of the DOD, which can only be a blessing.
Work Right, Fly Hard

ANCFlyer

RE: Bush Picks...WOLFWITZ? For World Bank

Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:32 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Thread starter):

Geez, that's the ONLY good thing I can see about this appointment . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

NoUFO

Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:52 am

Another anti-foreigner, cowboy

Well, he'll just have to become more diplomatic. What's worse is that he is no economist and has no experiences in this field.
Could it be that Bush sees a change to get rid of him? It's a serious question, btw, I'm not one of those who say Bush was stupid, nor do I really think the President wants to dish him. But maybe I have been wrong, thinking Bush and Wolfowitz share a good relationship.
I support the right to arm bears

jaysit

Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:05 am

I've heard Wolfowitz speak at the John Hopkins School, and he is a total charmer. Seriously.

Whether or not that intellectual charm will work on hardened economists and development experts is a different matter.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

L-188

Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:08 am

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 2):
What's worse is that he is no economist

That bugs me.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

11Bravo

Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:26 am

It seems obvious that this appointment is a way to get him out of the DoD without the negative press that a resignation would generate. His lack of qualification for this new position is odd at best, and I bet there are lots of people both here and abroad who are scratching their heads at this selection.

President Bush’s selection of Karen Hughes as Under-Secretary of State for Public Diplomacy and Public Affairs for the Middle East is even more bizarre. She has virtually no foreign policy experience, she doesn’t speak Arabic, and she is expected to promote the policy and image of the United States in a region that has little respect for women. I’m sure the “Arab Street” will love that.
WhaleJets Rule!

rjpieces

Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:28 am

It seems obvious that this appointment is a way to get him out of the DoD without the negative press that a resignation would generate. His lack of qualification for this new position is odd at best, and I bet there are lots of people both here and abroad who are scratching their heads at this selection.

Nonsense. If Bush wanted him out of DoD, he would have been gone weeks ago, when it was announced that he would stay on in his position. You see these recent appointments as Bush getting rid of his people; I see it as Bush putting his most trusted/closest ideological advisors (Rice, Hughes, Wolfowitz, Bolton) in positions where they will be able to influence world policy. This is a great idea for these jobs should reflect the President's view, not the other way around.

President Bush’s selection of Karen Hughes as Under-Secretary of State for Public Diplomacy and Public Affairs for the Middle East is even more bizarre. She has virtually no foreign policy experience, she doesn’t speak Arabic, and she is expected to promote the policy and image of the United States in a region that has little respect for women. I’m sure the “Arab Street” will love that.

She doesn't need to speak Arabic to understand fundamental concepts. Just like George W Bush doesn't need to be a Harvard intellectual to lead us, successfully, in this monumental conflict against Islamic terror.
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

CPH-R

Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:51 am

Quoting RJpieces (Reply 6):
Just like George W Bush doesn't need to be a Harvard intellectual to lead us, successfully, in this monumental conflict against Islamic terror.

Excuse me while I laugh my rear end off. I'm sure the Spanish people would like to know just exactly WHAT succeses "this monumental conflict against Islamic terror" have lead to.

Besides, doesn't bush have an MBA from Harvard anyway? Or was it with emphasis on the "intellectual" bit?

N5176Y

Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:52 am

Quoting CPH-R (Reply 7):
Excuse me while I laugh my rear end off. I'm sure the Spanish people would like to know just exactly WHAT succeses "this monumental conflict against Islamic terror" have lead to.

I didn't know Bush was responsible for the Spanish.

b757300

Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:54 am

Quoting N5176Y (Reply 8):

Didn't you know? For some (and many on this forum) Bush is to blame for everything. Well, everything bad that is.
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

CPH-R

Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:57 am

Quoting N5176Y (Reply 8):

Nope, but considering his pledge to find OBL dead or alive, I think the fact that AQ was able to hit Madrid 911 days after 9/11 should say something about how the war on terror is going.

N5176Y

Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:01 am

Quoting CPH-R (Reply 10):
Nope, but considering his pledge to find OBL dead or alive, I think the fact that AQ was able to hit Madrid 911 days after 9/11 should say something about how the war on terror is going.

Yeah... the Spanish war on terror is a failure. The US war on terror is working.

flybyguy

Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:32 am

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 2):
What's worse is that he is no economist and has no experiences in this field.

How hard is it to head the World Bank anyway? Just financially rape poor countries with hundreds of years of loan interest. Then jet off to some industrialized country like Switzerland or Japan to eat their caviar and drink their champagne at yet another "important conference".  irked 
"Are you a pretender... or a thoroughbred?!" - Professor Matt Miller

ANCFlyer

Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:42 am

Quoting RJpieces (Reply 6):
If Bush wanted him out of DoD, he would have been gone weeks ago, when it was announced that he would stay on in his position.

BS RJ . . . Bush wouldn't make a move at DoD with Dumsfeld's approval. Hell, he wouldn't let Dumsfeld out after the Abu Graib crap when he should have been FIRED not offered to resign.

Quoting 11Bravo (Reply 5):
She has virtually no foreign policy experience, she doesn’t speak Arabic,

And Condi Rice is much better?
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

airplay

Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:48 am

Did he pick Wolfwitz to rob the world bank? Thats about the only thing he's capable of doing with a bank. Doesn't Bush consider a person's qaulifications before he picks them? Oh wait. He picked Cellucci as ambasador to Canada so I guess he doesn't.....

Mir

Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:37 pm

You know, I think it's quite possible that Bono knows more about running the World Bank than Wolfowitz.

I don't think he'll really be gone though. Bush will still be listening to him with regards to policy.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

MD11Engineer

Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:08 pm

Maybe Bush needs a loan from the World Bank to cover the deficit?

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

JGPH1A

Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:11 pm

BBC said this morning that European governments are set to block Wolfowitz's appointment - the US's nomination has never been challenged before, but in theory it can be, and probably will be this time. Nice try, George.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

gkirk

Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:12 pm

Quoting N5176Y (Reply 11):
The US war on terror is working.

rotfl   rotfl 
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

Falcon84
Topic Author

Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:49 pm

N5176Y, way to kiss Bush's ass, saying this war is working. I don't think it's working anywhere near as well as it should. We're spending, in the end, trillions, because of one vicious attack; we've become an extremely paranoid and less tolerant society because of this war; we've pissed off most of the globe for acting like street-corner bullies, in just having to have our war in Iraq; Afghanistan isn't anywhere as stable as it should be, because we diverted forces to this fool of a conflict in Iraq to try and give Mr. Bush a legacy; we've taken steps like passing the Patriot Act that comes dangerously close to opening a can of worms on civil liberties, and if PA II is ever enacted, those liberties are even more in jeopardy.

Maybe you call that a success. I call it being played by a bunch of two-bit thugs, who are laughing their asses off at our "sky-is-falling" mentality.
Work Right, Fly Hard

rjpieces

Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:08 am

BBC said this morning that European governments are set to block Wolfowitz's appointment - the US's nomination has never been challenged before, but in theory it can be, and probably will be this time. Nice try, George.

I don't think the Euros will be able to challenge the appointment. You should have ZERO say in our policy. In fact, the mere fact that you are against his appointment makes me want him in that job more and more. John Bolton and Paul Wolfowitz all the way.

Anyhow, the Wall Street Journal had a great editorial (as always) today. Here are some parts:

Our World Bank sources tell us that when news was received yesterday of Deputy Defense Secretary Paul Wolfowitz's nomination to succeed outgoing Bank President James Wolfensohn, a collective shudder could be felt throughout its Washington headquarters. It's an affront to multilateralism. It will make the Bank look like an arm of American imperialism. It will spark a revival of the antiglobalization movement the Bank has tried so hard to "dialogue" with and co-opt.

Whatever. The World Bank is a dysfunctional bureaucracy that requires deep reform if it is to recover the trust of American taxpayers and survive as a relevant institution in the 21st century.

Some of Mr. Wolfowitz's critics were already asking yesterday what expertise a "neo-con" security intellectual could possibly bring to international finance. But the former diplomat has plenty of knowledge of the Third World, and has seen the Bank on the ground, in stints as Ambassador to Jakarta and Assistant Secretary of State for East Asia. He served in both posts in the 1980s, when the benefits of free-market reforms were blossoming in that part of the world.

More important, Mr. Wolfowitz is willing to speak truth to power. In Indonesia, and before that in the Philippines, he saw earlier than most, and spoke publicly about, the need for dictators to plan democratic transitions. Too bad they didn't take his advice. His predecessor at the Bank has devoted a lot of time to berating democratic donor states for being too "stingy" with their largesse, as if another $100 billion is all that stands in the way between the poor and their redemption.

In fact, it is the world's dictators who are the chief causes of world poverty. And it seems to us that if anyone can stand up to the Robert Mugabes of the world, it must be the man who stood up to Saddam Hussein.
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

JGPH1A

Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:13 am

Quoting RJpieces (Reply 20):
I don't think the Euros will be able to challenge the appointment. You should have ZERO say in our policy.

Trouble is, I think they do have a say. This nomination is by no means an automatic shoe-in for the job. If it was, it would be a nomination, it would be an appointment. I don't know how the World Bank works, but I think foreign governments do exert a certain influence over it.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

rjpieces

Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:16 am

Trouble is, I think they do have a say. This nomination is by no means an automatic shoe-in for the job. If it was, it would be a nomination, it would be an appointment. I don't know how the World Bank works, but I think foreign governments do exert a certain influence over it.

Wolfowitz's nomination must be approved by the World Bank's 24-member board. As the bank's largest shareholder, the United States has a strong voice in that vote. Traditionally, Washington chooses the World Bank chief, while Europe selects the head of the International Monetary Fund.

The bank's second-largest shareholder, Japan, already has expressed support for Wolfowitz. Japan's chief cabinet secretary, Hiroyuki Hosoda, has lavished praise on Wolfowitz, saying he is "well versed" in the issues of development in Asia.

Klaus

Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:55 am

He´s speaking "truth to power"?

He very clearly failed to do exactly that when he pushed for the Iraq invasion on false pretenses.

Having someone heading an international organisation (no, the World Bank is actually not a wholly-owned subsidiary of the White House - just in case you and the WSJ failed to notice!) who has a history of complete disregard and active sabotage of international cooperation is nothing but yet another slap in the face for the rest of the world.

You may enjoy that now, RJ, but the rising cost of this approach has begun to catch up with you. And you americans will be rather alone in footing that bill.

[Edited 2005-03-17 20:01:01]

cwapilot

Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:57 am

Admit it...there is not a single person on this planet Bush could have nominated for this position that would not have been picked apart by American left wing nuts, bitter, paranoid and listless after being out of power for so long, and Europeans, who pay lip service to diplomacy, smile on the camera and talk about mending fences and reaching out, while their people stand with their back to the US and their arms folded, and their grinning leaders shake Bushs hand with their right hand and wield a dagger in their left hand.

There is NOTHING Bush could do, aside from drop dead, that you people would accept as a good fence mending measure. NOTHING! So, why should he bother? He may as well nominate the people he trusts rather than shop around Europe for acceptable nominees.

Diplomacy is a two-way road. Since the campaign of 2000, before he was even elected (and, yes, despite your dillusions, he was elected, but we have already been down that road too many times on this stupid forum), Europe has treated him with nothing short of the rudeness and incivility that are its hallmarks. Look back at newspaper archives during the 1980s, and you will see that Ronald Reagan received the same sort of treatment.

So far, the arguments against this nomination have been:
1. Bush did it, so it is wrong.
2. Cowboys
3. Dumsfeld and other various ignorant name calling
4. People who dont think the way certain people want them to are stupid.
5. If you dont oppose every single thing Bush does, you are a Bush ass kisser.
6. Iraq, Patriot Act, and every other issue irrelevant to the topic of discussion.
and, finally, the only valid argument, which happens to also ignore his entire career and other host of accomplishments and qualifications:
7. He is not an economist.

So, why dont we cut out all of the bullshit stemming from numbers 1 thru 6, and pick up at number 7 and keep it there? Why? Because, like I said, it is Bush, and anything he does, has to be picked apart. Nothing is good enough, fast enough, slow enough, big enough, small enough, early enough, late enough...etc., etc., etc. Its going to be a LONG 4 years for you guys...and if you dont change your ways, it appears that it will be a long 4 MORE years beyond the next four.
Southside Irish...our two teams are the White Sox and whoever plays the Cubs!

Klaus

Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:22 am

Cwapilot: Admit it...there is not a single person on this planet Bush could have nominated for this position that would not have been picked apart
On which precedents is this "observation" of yours based?
Which even-handed and cooperative decisions have been criticized and shot down "just because"?
Until you can bring some actual evidence, it´s a bit hard to take someone seriously who believed (and probably still believes) that Iraq was a mortal danger to the USA.  crazy 
Credibility is the keyword here.

Cwapilot: 7. He is not an economist.
That won´t keep him from using the World Bank as purely a tactical tool for US interests any more than it did for McNamara.

Cwapilot: Its going to be a LONG 4 years for you guys...and if you dont change your ways, it appears that it will be a long 4 MORE years beyond the next four.
You know, cutting off your own limbs just to spite us is not really working, not a good idea in the first place and it´s making a real mess of your place with all the blood, you know...?  crazy 

L410Turbolet

Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:46 am

Quoting Cwapilot (Reply 23):
Diplomacy is a two-way road.

No shit Sherlock. Maybe you should tell to the White House occupants... they seem to think it's "my way or no way".