Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

nighthawk
Topic Author

Whats Your Fav Indian Food

Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:46 am

Well, we have had the "Whats your fav chinese food" thread, seen as im not a big fan of chinese food, i decided to create a thread for my fav food, indian! Cant beat a good curry!

Ok, my favourite is Chicken Tikka Mosala, which isnt really a true indian curry, but what the heck!

Im not fussy though, anything indian tastes good, Bhuna, Korma, Jalfrezi, Balti, ill eat em all!!!! Mmmmm....

Soooooo, whats your favourite?

ScottishLaddie

RE: Whats Your Fav Indian Food

Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:55 am

Korma followed by
Tikka Masala

and mango chutney......mmm

B747-437B

Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:56 am

Quoting Nighthawk (Thread starter):
Chicken Tikka Mosala, which isnt really a true indian curry

Exactly.

No self-respecting Indian restaurant outside of Britain will serve Tikka Masala.

The best Indian food IMHO is the stuff that doesn't have a name and is passed on by word of mouth through the generations. I was lucky enough to be able to pick up a whole treasure trove of Indian recipes (and more importantly the understanding how the various spices worked together) from my grandmother before she passed away and I firmly believe (and my friends swear this too) that her recipes produce stuff at home far better than any restaurant can come up with.

My current favorite is a chicken curry that is actually a blend of influences between a South Indian Chettinad style with heavy pepper flavor and a Goan curry with more creamy coconut flavor.

In lamb or beef, I love a traditional vindaloo style masala base but with potatoes added. In pork however, the vindaloo must be traditional Goan (complete with fat) to be any good.

Ah, I could go on forever.....  Wink

AA777

Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:58 am

Butter Chicken, Samosas,....anything.

-AA777

nighthawk
Topic Author

Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:59 am

B747-437B: When I was up in edinburgh it was a struggle to find a Tikka Mosala, most restaraunts did not offer it on the menu. I also hear the stuff you get in india is nothing like what you find in restaraunts over here...

Ill eat anything if theres plenty of spice in it Big grin

prosa

Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:04 am

A moderately spicy lamb or goat curry.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

JBLUA320

Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:10 am

Anything Korma... but really, the Indian spice combinations are what makes that food amazing. The aroma, the flavor- its so rich.

JBLU

UAL747

Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:14 am

Indian food is my weakness! My favorite thing is Chicken Byriani, Madras Soup, Keema Naan, and the really spicey lemon/lime pickles. I went to the local Indian food restaurant the other day just to buy a can of those pickles. Many people do not like them because of their intense taste, but I think they are a great thing to munch on as a relish.

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

texdravid

Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:26 am

Since I am living approximately 120 miles from the nearest Indian restaurant, ANY Indian food would be good.

Appetizers: Pakoras, Samosas, Pappadam.

Main Dish (South Indian): Dosai, Idly, Sambar, Resam, Putu(Kerala)

Main Dish (North Indian): Butter Chicken, naan, Chicken Tikka, Tandoori Chicken.

Dessert: Gulam, Keer, Boli (South Indian)

Drinks: Salt Lassi, Mango Lassi, Kingfisher beer.

Man, I'm hungry now! I'll have to wait until next weekend, though, to go to the big city (Houston) for the food!!
Tort reform now. Throw lawyers in jail later.

Avianca

Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:32 am

I must say, I have never ever tried Indian food.

I really do not not why... It is time to try Indian food.
Colombia es el Mundo Y el Mundo es Colombia

SQA340

Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:50 am

Here in IND, I know it's not straight out of India authetic, but I love the crap they dish out here at the local India Garden. At the lunch buffets I usually get tandoori chicken, rice, tikka mosala and load full of naan. Hits the spot, it really does. If I ever try the real stuff straight from India I'll probably find it much better, but for an American like myself.. it's good enough.  Smile

gkirk

Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:57 am

Does a Big Mac from Birmingham, UK count?  Wink
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

jasepl

Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:59 am

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 11):
Does a Big Mac from Birmingham, UK count?

No it does not You're such a wannabe Brummie!  Wink

Besides, isn't your fav Indian food Sheep's Curry?  Wink

flyingnanook

Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:33 pm

I'm a sucker for Chicken Vindaloo, especially if it's hot enough to curl my hair. I only wish I could get some up here in Fairbanks. I would kill for a good Vindaloo right about now.
Semper ubi sub ubi.

Bronko

Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:48 pm

So much good stuff to choose from, but at my favorite Indian restaurant I always love the Saag, Mango Chicken, and this Mushroon Al Ghobi dish, which is sometimes made with Eggplant. I am sure I spelled these wrong too.

I work with a lot of Indians, and they say that while the food is somewhat "Americanized" (ie: heavier), it is actually pretty close to home. We usually go there for the lunch buffet, and I hear the dinners that are from a menu and made to order are even better.

I do like my share of meat, but now that I found Indian food, I could go vegetarian if I had too. There are so many varieties of tasty and different vegetarian Indian dishes.
Jet City Aviation Photography

yokohama1970

Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:26 pm

Saag/Palek Paneer, Chicken Tikka Masala, Chana Baji/Masala & Plain Nan.
Indian Food is my favorite!
Thank You Derek! Good Luck with the LA Dodgers

mrniji

Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:51 pm

Quoting Texdravid (Reply 8):
Since I am living approximately 120 miles from the nearest Indian restaurant, ANY Indian food would be good.

Has the Patel Invasion not caught your location yet? Big grin

I agree with B747.. : the best Indian food for any Indian is the home-made food from mummy..

Otherwise, I must say I had amazing Fish Curry in Kolkata last times. even the 'non-mainstream Indian food' (Momos in Sikkim) were amazing.. Goa style chicken.. yummy..... I have been trying that cooking book from Madhu Jaffrey, nice recipies.. but nothing like Mummy's food  Wink
"The earth provides enough resources for everyone's need, but not for some people's greed." (Gandhi)

HAWK21M

Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:02 pm

Dal,Rice or Pav Bhaji.
Vada Pav for snacks  Smile
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

USAIRWAYS321

Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:37 pm

When I lived in Charlotte, my next door neighbors were from India (awesome people, I miss them) and they made killer Chicken Tandoori. I loved that stuff!

Nimish

Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:36 pm

Quoting B747-437B (Reply 2):
No self-respecting Indian restaurant outside of Britain will serve Tikka Masala.

Surprisingly, most restaurants in Bangalore/Mysore do serve a very good Chicken Tikka Masala. The Indian varieties are about 3 degress spicier (where the UK is 2 and Indian 5 on a scale of 8) than the British varieties (I've tried the local takeaway, and the Tesco CTM), but otherwise surprisingly similar.

My favourite though, is at a pub in Mysore called the "Pelican pub". Their CTM and Naan are definitely worth the drive down from Bangalore. Unfortunately, this place is completely unknown except to the locals, and it's probably not mentioned on any of the Lonely planets or Rough guides to India.
Incredible India!

WindowSeat

Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:29 pm

Quoting Nimish (Reply 19):
I've tried the local takeaway, and the Tesco CTM

Tesco CTM is not all that good. try Noon products. It's the best you can get in packaged meals. They also signed a contract with Sainsbury's to provide it under Sainsbury's own brand name. Just to give you an idea, Noon products make 100,000 meals a day and they fly off the shelves. If a restaurant is not an option, this is the closest you will get to Indian food. Sir Ghulam Noon (the owner of Noon) was recently knighted "for spicing up the British palette".

cheers

I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards.

mrniji

Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:53 pm

Quoting Nimish (Reply 19):
Unfortunately, this place is completely unknown except to the locals, and it's probably not mentioned on any of the Lonely planets or Rough guides to India.

Be happy it is like this, otherwise it will be overrun by crappy people and have prices exploding - all places mentioned by the Lonely Planet tend to loose theuir authentic flair.. it will stay a hint you can tell friends.
"The earth provides enough resources for everyone's need, but not for some people's greed." (Gandhi)

LH423

Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:30 am

Oh, I'd kill for some indian right now. What we lack in the US is good, take-away curries. Here in the northeast there are quite a few very good Indian restaurants...yet, Indian is still considered a bit of a treat so it's not like Chinese where you can get delicious, cheap food from a dive joint. You'd be hard pressed to find quality Indian food without the sitdown restaurant, waiter, water to the table, tablecloth, silverware, dim lighting, the whole bit.

Anything from a tandoori oven, or a chicken curry (especially if it's spicy), and naan bread. Mmmmmm  drool 

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

prosa

Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:42 am

Quoting LH423 (Reply 22):
Oh, I'd kill for some indian right now. What we lack in the US is good, take-away curries. Here in the northeast there are quite a few very good Indian restaurants...yet, Indian is still considered a bit of a treat so it's not like Chinese where you can get delicious, cheap food from a dive joint. You'd be hard pressed to find quality Indian food without the sitdown restaurant, waiter, water to the table, tablecloth, silverware, dim lighting, the whole bit.

I've never heard of an Indian place that operates on a strictly take-out basis, as do so many Chinese places. Nor are there any Indian places in mall food courts, as far as I know.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

flyboy36y

Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:59 am

Nothing better than a good Tandoori chicken, but I love chicken tikka masala. They have it all over the place in NY.

WindowSeat

Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:47 am

Quoting PROSA (Reply 23):
I've never heard of an Indian place that operates on a strictly take-out basis, as do so many Chinese places. Nor are there any Indian places in mall food courts, as far as I know.

I haven't seen any place that does strictly take out. But there are Indian restaurants in food courts, the ones I can remember in the North East are in the Burlington mall, and of course Quincy Market in Boston.

Quoting LH423 (Reply 22):
Here in the northeast there are quite a few very good Indian restaurants..........You'd be hard pressed to find quality Indian food without the sitdown restaurant, waiter, water to the table, tablecloth, silverware, dim lighting, the whole bit.

True, there aren't many Indian restaurants who serve authentic Indian food and provide a nice dining experience. There are a few good restaurants in Boston though. In Providence, the 'India' chain of restaurants I think was bad, their food however contemporary was not authentic. Not to mention the one in downtown did not have a real tandoori oven to begin with. There's a restaurant in East Greenwich, RI called 'The Indian Club', which has delectable, authentic food. Their naans are to die for, they import their tandoori ovens from the UK, or so I was told, and the difference in the naan breads is for everyone to see. But the service is ..er..not quite up to par. 'Kabob & Curry' on Thayer is not a bad choice either.

cheers
I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards.

LH423

Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:08 am

Yeah, The Bombay Club in Faneuil Hall is probably the only fast food Indian place that I know of. It's actually pretty good too, but that's because the original Bombay Club (I think in Harvard Sq) has a pretty good reputation and I'm sure they're cautious about the quality of the take-away location as well.

In Providence I've only eaten at Kabob & Curry...pretty good, in my opinion. I'll have to remember the place in E. Greenwich. Can never get enough good Indian.

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

WindowSeat

Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:46 am

Quoting LH423 (Reply 26):
In Providence I've only eaten at Kabob & Curry...pretty good, in my opinion.

yes they are. And this is slightly off topic, have you been to East Side pockets??(diagonally opposite Kabob & Curry) I remember stumbling in to there with my friends on many occasions after a late night out drinking. They're good!

Alas! my college days are over *sigh*

[Edited 2005-03-21 00:03:25]

yokohama1970

Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:10 pm

Hey LH

Yo from an RI (Cranston) transplant to PHX! Kabob & Curry is that the Indian place on Thayer Street? If so, I have been there quite a few times. Way to go BC Eagles Men's Ice Hockey for their win over UNH 3-1 on Sat. Hockey East Championship @ the Fleet!

Tom
Thank You Derek! Good Luck with the LA Dodgers