Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Eastern L1011
Topic Author

Attention All Hockey Players: Flying W/ Your Gear

Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:55 pm

Ok, anyone's help would be much appreciated. My ice hockey team just won the state championships and we will be travelling to Green Bay in a couple of weeks to compete in the national championships. Well, I am going to fly there with my gear and I am not quite sure what to do about my sticks. I'm sure my bag will not be a problem, but I am the goalie so I do not have a bag for my sticks. Any ideas of how I can pack and/or wrap those sticks up and still have them there in one piece? Thanks to anyone with an idea.

Eastern L1011

L-188

RE: Attention All Hockey Players: Flying W/ Your Gear

Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:03 am

Call the airline and get instructions.

IF nothing else duct tape and plastic wrap them.

At least that would work on an intra-state flight in Alaska.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

jcs17

Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:10 am

I've traveled with my hockey equipment a few times, and each time it has survived. I've always just taped my sticks together using packing tape and wrapped them in plastic wrap. Have the check-in agent affix a fragile tag to the sticks. I haven't had a problem yet.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

KROC

Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:16 am

Why would you need to travel with your hockey sticks? We don't get it.

Signed, NHLPA

AGC525

Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:04 am

I played hockey in high school and was a goalie too. Hockey is by far the greatest game on earth. I wish I had your oppertunity!

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!
American Aviation: From Kitty Hawk to the Moon in 66 years!

CactusA319

Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:08 am

If you don't have a bag, then you can easily tape the sticks together and wrap them in plastic. I saw plenty of those when I used to work F9 flights as a ramp rat.

aerobalance

Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:14 am

Quoting AGC525 (Reply 4):
I played hockey in high school and was a goalie too. Hockey is by far the greatest game on earth. I wish I had your oppertunity!

I noticed how hockey is great for the brain cells......
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

AGC525

Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:45 am

Quoting Aerobalance (Reply 6):
I noticed how hockey is great for the brain cells......

Maybe you should stick to soccer, then
American Aviation: From Kitty Hawk to the Moon in 66 years!

ScarletHarlot

Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:59 am

Mr. Harlot plays hockey and travels to Vegas a couple of times a year for tournaments. He has a stick bag that he puts them in and he checks that. Might you be able to find a goalie stick bag to purchase?

Your bag won't be a problem, but you may wish you had wheels on it.  Smile
But that was when I ruled the world

yokohama1970

Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:41 am

Eastern

Good job winning the State Championships! As a Right Defenseman, Goalies are always top on my respect list. I had to play Goalie once (no-show goalie or forfeit), the opposing team scored 12 goals in 17 minutes! A very humbling experience, too say the least. I will stick to Right D & Center Field!

As a Ramper, I see Hockey Gear on a daily basis. Most Goalie sticks are taped together with moving tape. Non-Goalie sticks are usually in a stick bag. If you have a stick bag, use it. I always place the sticks on the Baggage Service Office (BSO) belt, rather than the normal baggage claim carousel (too many twists & turns=breaks Hockey/Lacrosse Sticks,Golf Clubs,etc..). If you claim your Hockey Bag/Luggage on the Baggage claim carousel & you're missing your sticks, make your way to the airlines' Baggage Service Office. Good luck in Green Bay, post your teams results!

Tom
Thank You Derek! Good Luck with the LA Dodgers

Eastern L1011
Topic Author

Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:03 pm

Thank you all for the suggestions. I do have another question. What are the chances that I will have to pay extra to get my bag on the plane because it will be oversized or overweight? The bag probably weighs about 55-60 pounds and those of you that play know how big they are. I will be flying Northwest DC-9's on all legs of the trip.

Thanks again,

Eastern L1011

Usairwys757

Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:01 am

The NHLPA is my best friend. Now I dont have to flip through the channels and see hockey on the TV anymore.

Thank you players, owners, and NHLPA for being a bunch of crybabies and making your sport look even worse than it already did.
Inactive.....

PilotJmartin

Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:07 am

Quoting Usairwys757 (Reply 11):
The NHLPA is my best friend. Now I dont have to flip through the channels and see hockey on the TV anymore.

Thank you players, owners, and NHLPA for being a bunch of crybabies and making your sport look even worse than it already did

Thats because you are a Punk Travis, meet me on the ice!!!! LOL

but seriously, I am a little pissed at Hockey this year, I had big plans on going down to JLA and seeing the Red Wings kick the crap out of the Maple Leafs but this didn't materialize. Damn you. OH well I can always play the damn game my self.

Newark777

Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:21 am

Congrats on the victory! My high school team lost in the state semi's, and I've been hooked on hockey now because of all the games I have gone to. Kind of want to watch it, but there's none on TV...

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

MD11Engineer

Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:35 am

Imagine you were doing pole vault! Big grin
When I was in passenger handling at TXL years ago, one day I had the at this time world champion in pole vault, the Ukrainian Serge Bubka, on the flight I was handling (there was an international athletics competition in Berlin). Bubka arrived on a 737. His fiber glass pole was already divided into two pieces and in a bag, but the bag was still about 4 meters long, too long for the carousell and for the large luggage lift. We had the problem of getting it from the ramp to the arrival area (2nd floor, above the baggage sorting room)... . In the end a loader carried it to a neighbouring unused jetway, I drove the jetway to it´s lowest position and he handed me the bag with the pole up from the ground through the opening which usually connects to the plane. Then I carried it to the arrival area and gave it to Bubka.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

nosedive

Sat Mar 26, 2005 8:19 am

As for those who say there is no hockey to watch, the "Frozen 4" will be aired on ESPN2. GO PIONEERS!

NCAA Hockey Bracket

UAalltheway

Sat Mar 26, 2005 8:40 am

Maybe try some bubble wrap on 'em. That would probobly work.. I think i've seen it done before.

Quoting Eastern L1011 (Thread starter):
but I am the goalie so I do not have a bag for my sticks

If you're a goalie than why do you need sticks?

JFKspotter

Sat Mar 26, 2005 8:47 am

To add to the idea brought up already, I've checked sticks several times, and I just taped them together, wrapped them in bubble wrap, and threw a fragile tag on them. This was on Delta, and they arrived in one piece.

I got a Bauer Vapor XX as a gift and had to check it - I swear if there had been a scratch on it, I would've been one pissed off hockey player.