Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

rootsair
Topic Author

Bye Bye Pretoria, Welcome Tshwane!

Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:01 am

The name of the South African capital has been renamed to Tswane . Below is an article explaining everything you should know about that name change. Apparently other towns are to be renamed as well as the name of streets in the country.

This is definitely a great move to making south Africa a free multicultural place and to annihilate the dark years of apartheid.....that's the way South Africa !!!
http://www.southafrica.info/what_happening/news/pretoria-tshwane.htm

[Edited 2005-03-24 18:09:41]
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

JGPH1A

RE: Bye Bye Pretoria, Welcome Tshwane!

Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:07 am

From the article:

"He later moved from Mooiplaas to what is now the Pretoria area, on the banks of the Tshwane River"

(sings) 'Way down upon the Tshwaneeee RivERRR !!'

Sorry.

I suppose it was inevitable, one must move with the times. I never saw Pretorius as a particularly oppressive figure, although I suppose he and his lot did trek from the Cape because the British were abolishing slavery in the Cape Colony. Sort of an MD90 of his day  Smile

I'm not surprised about changing the street names either - D.F.Malan for one was a right old fascist, I'm amazed they kept it this long.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

Russophile

Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:28 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 1):
Sort of an MD90 of his day

ROFL Big grin Big grin

Now how was one pronounce Tshwane?

LHMark

Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:30 am

Is there a body of water nearby? (sings) "waaay down upon the Tshwaneee riveeeeerrrr..."
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

JGPH1A

Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:39 pm

Quoting LHMark (Reply 3):
(sings) "waaay down upon the Tshwaneee riveeeeerrrr..."

Too late - been there, done that ! Too slow.  Smile

Quoting Russophile (Reply 2):

As it's spelt, pretty much. Ttttssh-wah-né (the e is short as in negative.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

LH423

Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:50 pm

So, SA's going to pull and India by renaming the major cities?

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

yyz717

Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:57 pm

Think of Mike Meyer's in Waynes World saying "Shwing"! Change it to "Shwane", and add a T at the beginning.

I recall some talk years ago of South Africa itself being renamed "Azania" or something similar?

I guess Jo-berg will also be renamed in due course.
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

JGPH1A

Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:58 pm

Quoting LH423 (Reply 5):
So, SA's going to pull and India by renaming the major cities?

You can't blame them really - unlike in India, where most of the place names were just anglicised versions of the local place names, in South Africa, a great many places were named after the settlers that founded them, taking virtually no notice of indigenous names that these places may have had. OK, a lot of the towns and cities were founded where there was quite literally nothing - the central highveld for example had been seriously depopulated in the previous 50-100 years by Zulu expansion from the south. Joburg for instance (named not after a settler or politician, but after the 2 government surveyors (one name Johan and the other named Johannes) who laid out the first street plan in the then mining shanty town Ferreira's Camp. There is apparently some argument about this, but this is the most like origin of the name).

A LOT of places, streets, buildings etc were named after Nationalist Prime Ministers, who were the architects of apartheid, so it is natural that these be renamed.

andz

Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:25 pm

Quoting Russophile (Reply 2):

Well my area is now called Ekhuruleni.....try that one!  Smile

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 7):
A LOT of places, streets, buildings etc were named after Nationalist Prime Ministers, who were the architects of apartheid, so it is natural that these be renamed.

They have gone a bit overboard naming things after Nelson Mandela though. The first places to be renamed were the airports, although many road signs round Johannesburg International still refer to Jan Smuts Airport.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

JGPH1A

Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:20 pm

Quoting Andz (Reply 8):
Well my area is now called Ekhuruleni.....try that one!

I would have thought they'd have just renamed it éDenvalé - easier to remember Big grin

FoxBravo

Sat Mar 26, 2005 2:32 am

Quoting Andz (Reply 8):
The first places to be renamed were the airports, although many road signs round Johannesburg International still refer to Jan Smuts Airport.

On that topic, I've been curious as to why they were so quick to rename JNB airport. My (albeit limited) understanding was that Jan Smuts was not such a bad guy--in fact, one of the more enlightened South African leaders of his time. And in any event, he was an aviation pioneer and instrumental in the development of the RAF. But I realize the situation is probably more complicated than that. Just out of curiosity, what is the general opinion of him among South Africans nowadays, and is the decision to rename the airport considered a good one?
Common sense is not so common. -Voltaire

jaysit

Sat Mar 26, 2005 4:42 am

Nearly 60 years after the British left India, most Indians still refer to streets and cities by their Anglo-Indian names. Renaming cities and streets (unless they're named after some reprehensible thug associated with Apartheid) seems absurd.

On another note, does South African Airways still make announcements in Afrikaanse?
Atheism is Myth Understood.

andz

Sat Mar 26, 2005 5:10 am

FoxBravo the airport names were the first to be changed many years ago, I have no idea what the opinion is of Smuts or any of the old leaders, it doesn't seem to be discussed!

Jaysit this is a contentious issue and in my opinon a huge waste of money that could be better spent on social upliftment. I'm sure the average homeless jobless person doesn't care what the town he is sleeping rough in is called.

SAA announce mainly in English now although the chatter from the flight deck seems to be at the Captain's discretion. The cabin crew will sometimes greet in up to 4 languages at the beginning and end of a flight.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

kilavoud

Sat Mar 26, 2005 5:48 am

This remembers me of the name of Madras in southern India changed since about 5 years now in Chennai and pronounced tchenn nei.

This remembers me too that in 1967 I was sitting on a park bench near Union Building in Pretoria, and on this bench there was a board : "For White only innocent 

Times are changing. Rules and dominations too. white 

Cheers. Kilavoud.