Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

whitehatter
Topic Author

An Interesting Question For Those On The Right...

Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:41 am

Watching Fox News earlier today, and Geraldine Ferraro asked a very pertinent question. All the talking heads and scary hair presenters then promptly edged round it or ignored it totally.

So here goes.

"Terri Schiavo suffered her incident which left her in that state due to an eating disorder affecting her heart. Would the Conservative Christians and their fellow travellers be equally as concerned with her case if she had arrived in that condition as the result of complications during an abortion?"

BTW any sniping at Ferraro will be taken as a cowardly attempt to dodge the issue. She just asked the question.
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

MaverickM11

RE: An Interesting Question For Those On The Right...

Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:43 am

" Would the Conservative Christians and their fellow travellers be equally as concerned with her case if she had arrived in that condition as the result of complications during an abortion?"

"

Yes, I would be equally concerned, as in not at all.
I don't take responsibility at all

Newark777

Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:46 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 1):
Yes, I would be equally concerned, as in not at all.

Agreed. This is just a lame attempt to push her abortion agenda, and she is just another talking head using Terri as a pawn. It is disgusting.

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

KiwiNanday

Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:48 am

Quoting WhiteHatter (Thread starter):
BTW any sniping at Ferraro will be taken as a cowardly attempt to dodge the issue. She just asked the question.

Thats at least one coward sarcastic . Just answer the damn question!
Silly Islamic extremists, it's just a cartoon!

Newark777

Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:55 am

Quoting KiwiNanday (Reply 3):
Thats at least one coward . Just answer the damn question!

I did answer, agreeing with the opinion of MaverickM11. Then I shot her down. Learn to read before calling people cowards.

Harry

[Edited 2005-04-01 23:55:27]

KiwiNanday

Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:58 am

Would you want her alive if she was in this state due to an abortion? Survey says:
NO
You don't need to read to be brave, and I did read.... otherwise, I wouldn't have known what you said
Silly Islamic extremists, it's just a cartoon!

whitehatter
Topic Author

RE: An Interesting Question For Those On The Right

Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:00 am

And neither of you have answered the question. Nice wriggle on the hook though.

Now answer the damned question. Not the question you want to answer either. The original one.
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

Newark777

Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:02 am

Would the Conservative Christians and their fellow travellers be equally as concerned with her case if she had arrived in that condition as the result of complications during an abortion?"

YES, THEY WOULD! They would treat her the same way. But that is my opinion, and I can't speak on behalf of them.

Harry

Pope

Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:05 am

Christian theology teaches to hate the sin but love the sinner.
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

samL

Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:23 am

although I am not entirely sure what I think about euthanasia, I think that if the preservation of life is the principle on which I (as a Christian) should base my judgement then the circumstances which led Mrs Schiavo condition are completely irrelevant i.e. the answer is no I wouldn't feel any differently (which is not to condone abortion but simply to say that the fact that had an abortion would be complete separate issue)

a direct enough answer?

nycflyer

Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:40 am

they would probably still want to keep her alive if it was due to an abortion. But the event probably wouldn't have attracted so many wacko pro-life demonstrators outside the hospice, and Jessie Jackson to boot, if it was due to an abortion.

phxairfan

Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:22 pm

Yes they would still bitch and moan about her being euthenised. Personally I wouldn't give a flying f*** if they pulled the tube after the first week. You know why, because its not MY family, therefore its not MY business.

StevenUhl777

Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:06 pm

An eating disorder? Sounds like Ms. Ferraro is misinformed yet again. All the news reports stated that Ms. Schaivo suffered heart failure as a result of taking a fertility drug. They settled with the fertility clinic for $750,000, which was largely used to cover her care.
And the winner for best actress is....REESE WITHERSPOON for 'Walk the Line'!!!!!!!!

bravo7e7

Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:35 pm

If I ever need a 14-year-old defense attorney, you are on the top of my list.....if I want to lose the case. checkmark 

N1120A

Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:00 pm

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 2):
This is just a lame attempt to push her abortion agenda, and she is just another talking head using Terri as a pawn. It is disgusting.

Um, no, she was making a point. Her "agenda" is not an issue that needs to be pushed, it was decided 33 years ago

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 4):
Then I shot her down. Learn to read before calling people cowards.

Right, she was the first woman to run for Vice President and a 18 year-old who cannot read a simple question shoots her down on a forum she will never read.  scratchchin 

Quoting StevenUhl777 (Reply 12):
An eating disorder? Sounds like Ms. Ferraro is misinformed yet again. All the news reports stated that Ms. Schaivo suffered heart failure as a result of taking a fertility drug. They settled with the fertility clinic for $750,000, which was largely used to cover her care.

No, Terri Schaivo suffered a loss of oxygen to the brain due to chemical imbalance brought on by malnutrtion due to an eating disorder.

Quoting BRAVO7E7 (Reply 13):
If I ever need a 14-year-old defense attorney, you are on the top of my list.....if I want to lose the case.

As opposed to a 17 year old who purports to be a genius yet disproves that every time he speaks?
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

ANCFlyer

Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:00 pm

Quoting BRAVO7E7 (Reply 13):

If I ever need a 14-year-old defense attorney, you are on the top of my list.....if I want to lose the case.

I was rather thinking the same thing . . . . thanks . . . . little snot nose calling some one a coward . . .

I don't suppose it would have made a hoot in hell to anyone, really, how she got in the predicament in which she found herself. I didn't hear a lot of grandstanding about HOW she became ill, only that she was. What I did hear was a lot of bullshit out of Congress and the White House putting their nose where it did not belong.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

aerorobnz

Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:08 pm

Quoting StevenUhl777 (Reply 12):
An eating disorder? Sounds like Ms. Ferraro is misinformed yet again

No, I've heard that from a number of sources that Terri had an eating disorder that caused such a lack of her Potassium ( I think) reserves that it had detrimental effects on her heart and caused it to stop. Mr Schiavo blamed the Fertility Dr & sued because he thought that the Dr should have noticed that her levels of certain reserves were at a dangerously low level and picked the signs she had an eating disorder, and that's what he won the payout for.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

UN_B732

Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:42 pm

Yeah. It's simply a dogmatic attempt to believe that just because someone has been hurt due to a behavior conservatives (for the most part) disapprove of we wouldn't care about the person. I certainly would care about Schiavo just as much.
-Mr. X
What now?

ATLhomeCMH

Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:51 am

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 2):
Agreed. This is just a lame attempt to push her abortion agenda, and she is just another talking head using Terri as a pawn. It is disgusting.

Typical Republican response. Dodge the question, attack the person. And don't even point the finger when it comes to "talking heads"...lets examine Fox News, shall we? Shepard Smith...Brit Hume...Sean Hannity...the list could go on. They should rename Fox News to be UMPHN (Unbalanced Misinformed Political Hack Network).

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 4):
I did answer, agreeing with the opinion of MaverickM11. Then I shot her down. Learn to read before calling people cowards.

Wow. You're some incredible shot... sarcastic 
"The most terrifying words in the Engligh language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'"-Ronald Reagan

Newark777

Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:03 am

Quoting ATLhomeCMH (Reply 18):
Typical Republican response. Dodge the question, attack the person. And don't even point the finger when it comes to "talking heads"...lets examine Fox News, shall we? Shepard Smith...Brit Hume...Sean Hannity...the list could go on. They should rename Fox News to be UMPHN (Unbalanced Misinformed Political Hack Network).

Typical liberal response. Just talk about Fox News. No, we won't examine Fox News. And I did answer the question if you had actually read the entire thread, agreeing with Maverick and then answering directly when you guys started bitching as usual.

Wow. You're some incredible shot...

Almost as incredible as your lame-ass Fox News acronym. How long did it take you to think of that, a whole minute and a half?

Harry

ATLhomeCMH

Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:11 am

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 19):
Typical liberal response. Just talk about Fox News. No, we won't examine Fox News. And I did answer the question if you had actually read the entire thread, agreeing with Maverick and then answering directly when you guys started bitching as usual.

LOL examine Fox News? Are you actually serious? What is there to examine, exactly--a bunch of media hacks espousing nothing but the most inept, outdated, and misinformed opinions ever heard on television, and then call themselves "fair and balanced" out of nothing more than sheer douchebaggery?

Thank you, Newark777, you have just given me my hearty laugh of the day!
"The most terrifying words in the Engligh language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'"-Ronald Reagan

bravo7e7

Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:18 am

lets examine Fox News, shall we? Shepard Smith...Brit Hume...Sean Hannity...the list could go on.

If you want to talk about a typical liberal response, you would exemplify it. You leave out half of the story.
Shepard Smith- Does not really report partisan newes with a view
Brit Hume- Moderate Republican
O'Reilly- Independent Conservative
Hannity- Conservative
Colmes- Liberal
VanSustren- Liberal

SlamClick

Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:21 am

No, actually a coward would be a person who let you bully them into engaging in a debate on YOUR terms.

In the first place, you are easily entertained if you think a hypothetical, didn't happen that way, ain't never gonna happen that way, made-up, fantasy-land question that just happens to have the core of her political beliefs wrapped up in its very wording, an "interesting question."

Sorry dude, but politicians, especially US politicians who have lost their big race don't ask questions. They make statements and put a question mark at the end of them. Left and Right, that is what they do. Just listen closely to them.

So here's my answer. Yes. I think the political right would have jumped in on ANYONE in her condition just so long as the ratings were high enough. I think the political left would too. If there was a headline in it; if it would get them on television, every political wannabe, has-been, and never-was, within a three thousand mile radius of Washington DC would jump in front of the camera. That's what they do.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

Newark777

Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:28 am

Quoting ATLhomeCMH (Reply 20):
LOL examine Fox News? Are you actually serious? What is there to examine, exactly

What are you talking about? YOU are the one saying you wanted to examine Fox News. I'll refresh your memory, since you seem to have forgotten:

lets examine Fox News, shall we?

Harry

n229nw

Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:11 am

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 22):
Yes. I think the political right would have jumped in on ANYONE in her condition just so long as the ratings were high enough.

The key phrase being that last part of your statement, about the ratings. I'm not sure about the religious right "fan base," but I do know that when it comes to the GOP poliiticians involved here, the hypocrisy is outrageous. Bush may have flown to Washington to get involved in the Schiavo case, but as governor of Texas, he signed into law the "Texas Futile Care Law" which orders life support to be withdrawn from people against their families' wishes when they CANNOT AFFORD TO PAY FOR IT. Just now while all this Terry Schaivo grandstanding was going on, Bush's law allowed the feeding tube to be removed from a 6-month-old Texas baby against the parents' wishes, because the insurance would not pay for it any longer. So is it about "life"? Or is it about those ratings? Personally, I don't think any key Republican politicians would have touched the case if Schiavo had had an abortion, or if she was African-American for that matter (like the baby in Texas).

The GOP's stands on this are about making headlines as "good guys"; it throws up a good smokescreen to the religious right voting base, while behind the scenes Republican policies are actually wreaking havoc on the access poor people have to medical help.

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 22):
I think the political left would too.

That's definitely true; most politicians on all sides of the spectrum end up compromising their integrity to get elected or stay in power. On the other hand, that is no reason not to bring it to people's attention when the hypocrisy gets out of hand...

[Edited 2005-04-02 22:12:58]
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

lowrider

Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:16 am

I am on the let her live side, regardless of how she ended up in that condition. I don't care if she stopped off to have an abortion on her way from a Satanic Mass to a gay marriage, let her live.
Proud OOTSK member