Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

rootsair
Topic Author

EU Becoming Only Interesting For Poorer Countries?

Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:49 pm

Hi folks,

There is a new trend. Its seems that the times it was advantageous join the EU for wealthier countries in Europe is over...

Examples...... Switzerland, Norway, Iceland ...

E.G Switzerland :They see no interest whatsoever of joining the E.U.Probably they would have to dismantle their secretative banking rules and lose a lot of very profitable banking business, have to report bank deposits to other countries of their citizens avoiding taxes by banking in Switzerland.
-They would also have to open up to guest workers as is common in the EU with the related additional social programs costs.
-As noted above, they would probably as a relatively rich country, have to give far more then they get back in EU taxes.
-They would have to conform to EU imposed government financing, tax and spending regulations.
-They would lose their 'neutrality' and lose the headquarters of many international organizations.
-Allow more non-swiss products, espceially food products into their country, hurting local farmers.

Now is you see the new countries that joined, many of them, when you go there you wonder how on earth they got into the EU. Worst, now are Romania and Bulgariawho want to join in 2007. These two countries I must say are far behind(and trust me I've been to those places) the wealthier countries which of course will have to pay for them to improve . This turns off wealthier nations to join the EU. not to mention that these countries still have a bad economical situation and that many people from those nations will come to the EU countries and aggravate the already high unemployment rates in many countries
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

MD11Engineer

RE: EU Becoming Only Interesting For Poorer Countries?

Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:01 pm

Don´t forget that while we are the biggest net contributor to the EU, we are still building up (since 17 years) a country which was almost (but not quite) as poor as Romania and Bulgaria (I´m speaking of former East Germany) out of our own means.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

Phaeton

Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:59 am

Norway has held referendums about joining the EU and therefore has shown some interest. They say that in 2006 they will start thinking about another referendum. Iceland has also shown interest. Switzerland will never join the EU because they would lose their neutrality. They will however hold a referendum about joining the Schengen zone this year (I think). Otherwise there aren't any wealthy countries left in Europe to join the EU. Romania and Bulgaria will join in 2007, then Croatia and the former Yugoslavian states and then the Ukraine. If Belarus and Moldavia ever become democratic again they might join in the future. Of course Turkey will also join over the next 20 years as some of the countries I have already mentioned.

This is all just my theory of how things will go.

Regards,
Thomas
"History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.", Winston Churchill

lowrider

Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:49 am

This raises an interesting question, should there be some sort of minimum financial criteria for joining the EU? Also, is denying admission based on financial status also denying the people in those countries the opportunity to improve thier country and standard of living via the resources of the EU? The reverse would be how to keep poor countries from plundering the EU to bring thier standard of living up to that of wealthier countries as the expense of these countries? An interesting predicament...
Proud OOTSK member

MD11Engineer

Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:19 am

It is not so much about helping poorer countries to get to the same standard, after all a certain level of wealth in all countries helps to stabilise the continent. But if I can trust statistics published by the Spiegel magazine, e.g. Ireland, which 20 years ago used to be one of the poorest countries in Europe, now has passed Germany on several living standard indicators, but keeps on receiving structural funds subsidies, while the same indicators here are dropping and we are still the biggest net contributor (20% of the EU budget), it raises questions.
I wonder e.g. if we are financing the real estate bubble in Ireland with our contributions.
Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

lowrider

Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:36 am

What, if any, benefits do you think Germany derives from its' EU membership? Does it bring any new trade or other economic advantages that you did not enjoy before? Just curious. It seems to cost your country a lot. I was wondering if you get a good deal for what you are paying?
Proud OOTSK member

pilotaydin

Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:39 pm

trade and economic growth will be limited if membership is limited, which is why having a financial line to cross before membership is useless, because then you are stopping your own growth. IF the EU wants to grow, then they need to accept new members, each for their own advantages....

My thought on the EU is always this: what happens if your country elects a leader that is anti EU, and is serious about quitting or not joining, especially in countries such as mine, where the populus has mixed views....
we are losing part of our culture, in good and bad ways, just by trying to mold into EU requirements.....
The only time there is too much fuel onboard, is when you're on fire!

L410Turbolet

Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:28 pm

MD11,
the trick with the subsidies and who is/isn't net contributor is: the subsidies are granted regionally while contributions are diveded by country. Reply #1 makes it look like i.e. the fmr East Germany or Scotland never received a single Euro from the structural funds, which of course is not true. I'm in no way defending the system of subsidies and it's only pity the EU did not manage to reform the CAP before its (some 5 years premature) recent expansion.

Quoting Pilotaydin (Reply 6):
IF the EU wants to grow, then they need to accept new members, each for their own advantages.

I think the question is whether the EU wants to grow just in size and number of inhabitants (in order to be able to flex its diplomatic muscles internationally?) or whether there's any interest in economic growth as well? If there's inerest in the latter then some sort of limits on expansion should be set.
Rushing for further and further expansion while pushing for deeper integration at the same time are two processes contradicting one another. It will create mess and multi-speed EU regardless of whether the constitution is passed or not. Why is it particularly Gemany+France, or its leaders rather, who push for expansion so hard is beyond me.