Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Banco
Topic Author

Postal Voting Marred By Fraud

Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:26 pm

A better statement of the bleedin' obvious you could not find. The government deserve every bit of abuse they get over this, bringing in a system that is so obviously insecure and then dismissing all criticisms of it. And we'll have it all again for the General Election in a month or so. Brilliant.  Yeah sure

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_midlands/4406575.stm
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

ANCFlyer

RE: Postal Voting Marred By Fraud

Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:29 pm

Hey, you guys taking lessons from Florida???
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

777236ER

Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:32 pm

There are almost countless ways this system could be rigged. Stolen ballots, edited ballots, coercion, heads of families voting for everyone else etc at infinatum. There's nothing wrong with energising the electorate, but introducing such a ridiculously flawed system is stupid. If people can't be bothered to travel the short distance to the polling station, they probably shouldn't be voting.
Your bone's got a little machine

Banco
Topic Author

Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:42 pm

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 2):
If people can't be bothered to travel the short distance to the polling station, they probably shouldn't be voting.

There are always obvious exceptions to this, those that can't easily walk etc, etc, so there does need to be a method of ensuring everyone is enfranchised. But yes, I have very little time for those who simply can't be bothered to walk down to the polling station on election day.

Incidentally, allow me to share a little item about the brilliance of the system for those who want a postal vote for genuine reasons. I was on holiday at the time of the last election, so couldn't vote in person. No problem, I'll get a postal vote. So, when does it turn up? One day before election day, when I was away. Stunning.  Yeah sure Of course, by that point, you've asked for a postal vote, so a proxy vote is out of the question too.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

AJBUS300

Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:33 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 1):
Hey, you guys taking lessons from Florida???

HAHA....very funny....NOT.....old joke....we have learned from our mistakes and have taken proper measures to ensure it doesn't happen anymore. Besides, it wasn't so much that our system was bad but we just had too many old people living down here and well it is harder for them to understand what is going on...nothing against them but its true. Thankfully, we have integrated a new voting system and it worked well this past election (even if Bush won Florida).,..so jokes about FLorida and the election are old news buddy.

As for the topic at hand, anytime a new system is introduced you are bound to have problems. Hopefully, they can figure out a way to work these kinks out of the system and have a fair election. I think voting by mail is fine but should only be done by people who have REAL reasons for not being able to go to a station to vote....ie handicap, seniors who can't drive and have no one to take them....etc
Live each day as if it was your last day on God's beautiful green earth

Russophile

Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:51 am

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 2):
There are almost countless ways this system could be rigged. Stolen ballots, edited ballots, coercion, heads of families voting for everyone else etc at infinatum.

True, and Russia doesn't have a fucking thing to do with it. I wonder if the OSCE will condemn these elections as not free and not fair? Then we can have the US sponsoring various groups whose purpose is to undermine governments and to install their puppets. Sorry guys, but you can't then have a "Rose Revolution" as the Georgians stole this one already. Any ideas what the ensuing revolution could be called?