Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Mir
Topic Author

Some Things Never Change - Mets Lose (MLB)

Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:11 pm

They get great pitching from Pedro (12 Ks, including a stretch where he struck out 7 of 8 hitters to face him), they get homers from Matsui, Beltran and Floyd, and they have a lead into the 9th innning. All seemed well. All seemed as if it were a new season, and that the last two years of futility were in the past.

And then back to back home runs off of Braden Looper. Reds win, Mets lose. And the past seems, at least for the next few days, very real.

Some things never do change.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

dragon-wings

RE: Some Things Never Change - Mets Lose (MLB)

Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:09 pm

If anything is going to hurt the Mets this year it will be the bullpen. I really hope they get off to a good start this year.

GO METS!!
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

KROC

Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:02 pm

As a diehard Mets Fan...Its going to be a looooooooooong season.

Usairwys757

Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:39 pm

Hahahahahahahaha. Look at Mets fan already giving up. Way to blow a lead already in the first game. Beltran and Pete did all they could do, and they still find a way to lose.

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 
Inactive.....

KROC

Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:11 pm

Wait till the Braves Play Troyvis. Seeing as your Red Sox already got their asses kicked, the Braves are next.

flymia

Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:33 pm

Yea I always say the Mets will find a way to lose. Pretty sad that the Mets fans already think there season is going to be over.
Being a Marlin fan I know how it feels when Braden Looper loses the game.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

CaptOveur

Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:50 pm

I am a lifelong Reds fan but I will deny myself the pleasure of flogging KROC with the fact his team is inferior.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

CactusA319

Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:59 pm

Damn one game and Mets fan is waving the white flag.

I guess Minaya should've thrown some more money around and gotten himself a halfway decent closer.

KROC

Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:05 am

As a Mets Fan, I am not throwing in the towel, but I am realistic. The Mets Bully sucks. And that means with pitchers like Pete Martin and Tommy Glavin who are now 6 innning pitchers...there is allot of chances for the game to get busted open. Omar should have signed a pitcher like Carl Pavano for allot less money than Pete is getting and used the extra loot to secure some solid bullpen help. I think Looper is a credible closer but I wouldn't be mad if they got a better one. And lets face it, Adam Dunn is a masher. He might be the second coming of Rob Deer/Dave Kingman but still. I don't think that bomb he touched Pete up for yesterday has even landed yet.

Tom in NO

Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:15 am

Quoting KROC (Reply 8):
He might be the second coming of Rob Deer/Dave Kingman but still.

.....either them or Gorman Thomas.

Hey look at it this way.....at least you can trot out Kaz Ishii every fifth day!

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

KROC

Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:52 am

Quoting Tom in NO (Reply 9):
Hey look at it this way.....at least you can trot out Kaz Ishii every fifth day!

Perfect!  scared   sigh   vomit 

garnetpalmetto

Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:44 am

Quoting KROC (Reply 10):
Quoting Tom in NO (Reply 9):

Perfect!

Could be worse, KROC...you could have OUR starting rotation

Oliver Perez
Kip Wells
Mark Redman
Josh Fogg
David Williams
Ryan Vogelsong

with Jose Mesa, Salmon Torres, Mike Gonzalez, Rick White, John Grabow, Brian Williams, and Mike Johnston sitting in the 'pen.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

KROC

Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:46 am

Good point Garnetpalmetto. I mean seriously, has Milwaukee stopped scoring runs on you guys yet?  Wink

Logan22L

Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:39 am

I hope that piss-ant Pedro pitches 7 good innings every time he goes out and the Mets bullpen looses every game for him. I also hope Clemens throws at his head when they play the 'stros. Just wait, Mets fans, when Pedro starts to mail it in if you guys fall out of the race.

I mean, thanks for the memories, Pedro, but you really are a $hit.

Logan
"The deeper you go, the higher you fly. The higher you fly, the deeper you go."

KROC

Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:48 am

Hey Chowd Honk. Before you go talking shit, you might want to look at your own starting rotation this year. Not very impressive except for a hurt Curt Schilling. And careful talking shit about the Mets, you might lose your place on the bandwagon. You might want to be mroe worried about eh Yankees that reloaded while your team got sloppy seconds. You might want to worry about the Yankees who are already kicking your chowd ass like a read headed step child. Pete will be fine. Pete will have a better year than about Red Sox starter. Omar will shore up the bullpen by mid-season, and the Mets will be alright.

Tom in NO

Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:12 am

Quoting KROC (Reply 14):
the Mets will be alright.

Part of me says that the Mets will be lucky to pull out third place in the East.

The other part of me (the glass house part) says that my Dodgers won't be much better, if any. Gutting the team, then trotting out the nonsense that Kent/Valentin/Drew can replace Green/Beltre/Finley is utter tripe. And an infield of Choi/Kent/Izturis/Valentin doesn't exactly bring back memories of Garvey/Lopes/Russell/Cey.

And don't start with the "who's got worse pitching" bit. With Gagne on the shelf, the Dodgers have both the Mets and the Bucs beat.
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

Logan22L

Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:58 am

Quoting KROC (Reply 14):
And careful talking shit about the Mets, you might lose your place on the bandwagon

I've been a die-hard faithful Red Sox fan since before you could wipe your ass; actually before you had an ass. 1970. Yeah I'm old , but I'm sincere.

Logan
"The deeper you go, the higher you fly. The higher you fly, the deeper you go."

Mir
Topic Author

Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:21 am

Quoting KROC (Reply 14):
Omar will shore up the bullpen by mid-season, and the Mets will be alright.

That's one thing different about the Mets, they seem to be willing to spend the money in the right places this year to improve the team.

Taking a page out of the Yankees' book, I guess. Which is a good thing - New York is a better city when it has two good baseball teams.

-Mir

Tom in NO

Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:47 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 17):
That's one thing different about the Mets, they seem to be willing to spend the money

The problem here is that the Mets are in the same boat with the Dodgers and the Orioles. In the petroleum industry it's known as putting good money down a dry hole.

Tom at MSY

yokohama1970

Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:31 am

Pedro Martinez has earned my respect many times over. I truly miss Pedro on the mound for the Red Sox. Yes, Pedro gave up a 3-run HR to Dunn. A lot of pitchers will give up HR's to Dunn in 2005. Pedro focused & struck out 12 Reds batters. Braden Looper simply blew it! Credit to the Reds Dunn & game-winner Randa. The Mets & Reds both have 161 regular season games to go.

I really like the changes on the "new" Mets. I believe Omar Minaya is headed in the right direction. The New York Mets are a proud franchise, with a large fan base, especially the Hispanic population. Bringing in Pedro Martinez & Carlos Beltran is a great start. Good looking pitching rotation (Pedro, Glavine, Trachsel, Zambrano, Benson, Ishii & closer Looper). The Mets bullpen could be stronger. If you have time, I read a good article from the New York Magazine titled "Los Mets."

I know, the Red Sox have dropped their first two games to the Yankees. I must say, I like the Clement-Pavano match-up. Matsui is on fire in 2005! If the Red Sox are playing this poorly after the All-Star Break, then I will be concerned.

http://www.newyorkmetro.com/nymetro/...s/sports/features/11260/index.html
Thank You Derek! Good Luck with the LA Dodgers

ContnlEliteCMH

Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:36 am

Quoting KROC (Reply 2):
As a diehard Mets Fan...Its going to be a looooooooooong season.

Join the crowd, friend. This Reds fan has seen the same exact pattern for the past two or three seaons. The Reds start very well. The starting pitching is good; the hitting is timely; the bullpen plays well. They go into the All Star break in or near first place.

And then the wheels come off. Somebody gets hurt. Things just go south. And we watch the same teams make it to the post season.

Baseball so very much needs a revenue sharing agreement, and a salary cap. I hate watching the Yankees, Mets, Red Sox, and Dodgers spend hyperbucks while the small market teams *might* make it to the postseason if they stay perfectly healthy all season long. I know, I know... there are exceptions, like the Angels. But the game would only get better if they'd level things out a bit.

I'm not sure the Mets really helped themselves so much in the offseason. The Reds surely did, but it won't be enough in the uber-competitive NL Central.
Christianity. Islam. Hinduism. Anthropogenic Global Warming. All are matters of faith!

Mir
Topic Author

Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:31 pm

Quoting Tom in NO (Reply 18):
The problem here is that the Mets are in the same boat with the Dodgers and the Orioles. In the petroleum industry it's known as putting good money down a dry hole.

In the past, that was true. *coughcoughMoVaughnJeromyBurnitzcoughcough*, but I think that this year, they're actually spending wisely. I like Omar Minaya, and I think he'll do his best to build a good team.

-Mir

garnetpalmetto

Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:00 pm

BTW, speaking of Mets pitching, how are you liking Benson, KROC?  stirthepot 
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

KROC

Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:52 pm

He showed good signs last year. Once he gets off the DL he will be alright He's definitely better than a number 5 starter. The Mets need his arm. Besides, hows Wiggington working out for you guys?  Wink

Tom in NO

Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:14 am

Quoting Garnetpalmetto (Reply 22):
how are you liking Benson

Question should be: "how are Benson's teammates enjoying his wife?!" wink 

Tom at MSY

garnetpalmetto

Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:15 am

Quoting KROC (Reply 23):
Besides, hows Wiggington working out for you guys?

Here's a pic of Wiggy in Spring Training...gotta love the beard

Offensively he went 0-for-4 on Monday, including 2 strikeouts. On the defensive side of things, he allowed a bunt single with two men on. As I've said before....it's a LONG season ahead. I generally like Wigginton though...tends to be fairly hard nosed, but a little short on the talent end of the equation.

KROC

Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:23 am

I did like Wiggy and do root for him. He is a hard nose type player and what he lacks in talent he does make up for in intensity. He does have the tools to be a solid MLB player though imo.

garnetpalmetto

Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:12 am

Quoting KROC (Reply 26):
He does have the tools to be a solid MLB player though imo.

I think he has the tools, I just feel that they aren't fully developed yet. Maybe a AAA stint would aid that, or maybe just consistently being our starting 3rd baseman as well as a little more training not to chase after breaking balls low in the zone. As for hard-nosed...

Wiggy got a cut on his head and was safe at home. Hill broke his right ankle. I'll take that sort of hard-nosed work ethic from the rest of the team anyday.

KROC

Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:18 am

I thought Wiggy was playing AAA ball. You know, for the Pittsburgh Pirates.  Wink

garnetpalmetto

Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:39 am

No no...in a stunning move, on 4/1/05, Minor League Baseball announced the creation of the Advanced AAA classification. Thus far, teams reclassified as Advanced AAA are the Pirates, D-Rays, Brewers, Royals, and Nationals.

The Atlanta Braves are also being considered for the classification due to their reliance on aging veterans (*cough Franco cough*), players one injury away from retirement (*cough Smoltz cough*), castoffs from other teams (*cough Mondesi cough*), and youngsters straight out of the Braves farm system - the only farm system I can think of confined solely to a single geographic area in a futile attempt at ensuring that their players are fluent in "Southern," specifically the "Redneck" dialect. (See: Langerhans, Ryan; Betemit, Wilson)

LHMark

Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:40 am

I know I'm late to this thread, but...

"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

KROC

Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:06 pm

It sucks that I cannot argue with LHMark. Especially after yesterday. Those arsonists that double as NY Mets pitchers were once again dumping gasoline all over the goddamn infield. Absolutely pathetic.

Usairwys757

Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:39 pm

Hell, it may have taken 13 innings but at least the Braves can win a game.  Wink

And why did the Mets let Jason Phillips go?? That dude was money I thought.
Inactive.....

KROC

Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:15 pm

He wasn't money last year but getting Iishi in return was pathetic.