Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SWA TPA
Topic Author

Netflix. Anybody Have It?

Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:00 am

So, if you do have it how do you like it?
Any problems so far?
Do they mail as quickly as they promise?
Are the DVD's in good shape?
I just signed up today and it looks like a terrific deal so far.
I noticed Blockbuster has a version of this too but they dont offer as many movies even though they are a bit cheaper.

SWA TPA
I believe I can fly.....

gigneil

RE: Netflix. Anybody Have It?

Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:18 am

Everyone should have it. Its amazing.

N

ScarletHarlot

Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:27 am

I have a good friend who does Netflix. She LOVES it. She's had no problems, the movies come quickly, and they are in good shape. She swears by it.
But that was when I ruled the world

mbmbos

Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:27 am

I've used NetFlix in the past and really enjoyed it. I've ended up cancelling my subscription because I couldn't keep up with the pace of rentals to make it worth my money, although I understand they have other rental plans now that might be more amenable to me.

Their mailing service is very prompt. I have received a couple of unplayable DVDs, but not a major big deal since I just send them back.

NetFlix has a very strong mainstream movie collection, but given their boast that they have something like 70,000 titles in stock, I have been disappointed when I have attempted to find foreign films and obscure movies.

I am trying out CafeDVD for a while as their selection of movies (foreign titles, avant garde, silent films, etc.) is more to my liking. I'll be interested to see if their service is any good.
"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke

AeroWesty

Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:45 am

NetFlix is a great deal, but be aware of their customer service. I had it for about two years, and cancelled it when they started mailing back the same damaged disc I had returned (it became so prevalent, I began to make notes on circular scratch patterns, where cracks in the discs were, etc.). The only way around it was to hold onto the bad disc until a replacement arrived so I knew for sure they weren't recycling the same disc to me from the local warehouse. Lesser-known titles could also take up to a week to arrive if they had to be mailed from a distant warehouse.

Their selection is unparalleled and monthly rates have come down recently, so I may give them a try again, knowing now what to expect. I do like their policy of carrying the widescreen version of a film rather than the full screen version. When I gave the WalMart service a spin on their free trial, their selections were filled with full screen versions.
International Homo of Mystery

dvk

Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:50 am

If you're a videophile, Netflix is the way to go. I average 3-4 DVD's per week, and I've never had any major problems. They have a larger variety of titles than any regular video store I've ever visisted, and the convenience is unbeatable. In addition to mainstream films, I watch a lot of foreign and independent films, and I've been pleased with the available selection. I wouldn't think of going to a Blockbuster now!
I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.

swatpamike

Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:52 am

SWA TPA

Talk to Steve down on the ramp he was ordering movies last night and talking about how well he likes it.

Cheers

swatpamike

VSlover

Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:02 am

get it!

i love netflix. i have had it off and on for about 5 or 6 years now? since my third year in college.

now where i live in soho, there isnt a video store anywhere near me (or a drugstore for that matter, but you want prada or dolce? hey thats a block away! haha). thus, having netflix allows me to get what i want when i want.

plus i am horrible at returning things on time.

aa757first

Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:53 am

What about Blockbuster? They now have a similar program, but you also get I think two free in-store rentals. Has anyone tried it?

AAndrew

Cactus739

Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:08 am

I've had NetFlix for a few months and love it. I usually rent 3-4 discs per week. One of their distribution centers is in Phoenix (I'm told) so I usually get a movie the next day after its shipped.

Well worth the $17 a month!
You can't fix stupid.... - Ron White

Shawn Patrick

Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:58 am

I have netflix and of course, it's great. I also like their selection of foreign films.

I wouldn't change to Blockbuster for anything. First of all, I just don't like Blockbuster. I just dont like that company and I don't want to support them. Second, their selection is pretty limited imo, especially in the foreign films.

lowrider

Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:36 pm

Had it, cancelled it. I didn't have any real problems with the service, I just didn't use it enough. I figured I would have to watch at least 12 a month to break even with my local chain. I don't have that kind of time to devote to movies.
Proud OOTSK member

ArmitageShanks

Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:10 pm

Quoting Aa757first (Reply 8):
What about Blockbuster? They now have a similar program, but you also get I think two free in-store rentals. Has anyone tried it?

I've got the Blockbuster program. It's great because I can just run down to the store and rent two movies at a time and return them whenever, etc.

xpat

Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:46 am

Have it and love it!
The only thing we have to fear is the sky falling on our heads. -Asterix

StarCruiser

Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:44 am

I have had Netflix since last November, and I must say I am pretty well impressed. I live in a large city so often my movies arrive even faster than they predict, often overnight. Some of the more obscure titles may take a bit longer, but I'll wait for something I really want. I have had only one cracked disc, and it was such a small crack I hardly noticed it, but the player wouldn't play it. I returned it as damaged and a replacement was sent quickly. New big releases sometimes involve a wait. I am not sure why. I have been waiting for Ladder 49 for a month, and it is being shipped as I type this. With 65 movies in my queue I have alternates listed they will ship if what I want isn't available.

One reason I didn't go with Blockbuster is that they don't have as good a selection. Blockbuster tries to be a family type store, and as such decides to carry only up to rating R, not NC-17 or UR. I don't watch movies on network television because of the way they censor them. I want to see what the director produced, not the damn network censor. The last offer I saw from Blockbuster also said I could get two free rentals from the store, but I don't want to go to the store and put up with screaming kids, loud TVs and people shouting.

daedaeg

Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:10 am

I've had Netflix for about 3 months and I'd say they're definitely better than Blockbuster. Blockbuster just doesn't have the variety of movies that Netflix offers. But if you're just into big name flix, then Blockbuster might be a better fit.
Everyday you're alive is a good day.

SRQCrosscheck

Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:18 pm

Quoting SWA TPA (Thread starter):
Do they mail as quickly as they promise?

I usually get my movies before they say I should receive them.

I've had netflix for a year and I love it. My mom just tried blockbuster at home last month, hated it, and switched to netflix. Blockbuster's inventory is small; often you can't get the movie you requested on your Queue, especially if it's a blockbuster or new release to DVD. The website will tell you that there is either a "short" or "long wait." Blockbuster is cheaper than the comparable product with netflix (3 at a time, unlimited per month), but netflix has a program where you can get 2 at a time, with up to 4 per month for cheaper than blockbuster. If you don't watch that many movies, netflix might be worth it in that regard.

So overall, I'd go with Netflix. The only thing blockbuster has going for it are the two free in-store rentals, but I don't think it's worth it if you can't get half the movies you want in the mail to begin with.

Hope this helps!

SRQCrosscheck

Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:20 pm

Quoting Daedaeg (Reply 15):
But if you're just into big name flix, then Blockbuster might be a better fit.

Again, though, sometimes you have to wait a long time for the big name flix from Blockbuster in the mail.

Edit: also, I live in SRQ (Venice, really). My netflix movies always come before they say they'll arrive (from Tampa). Seeing as you live in TPA, the same will probably be true for you (next day arrival after they ship it). Blockbuster also was the same way, though.

[Edited 2005-04-12 06:22:54]