Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DLKAPA
Topic Author

Rush Fans Unite!

Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:17 am

"Those who wish to be must put aside the alienation get on with the fascination the real relation the underlying dream..." 'Limelight' by Rush.

How many other people here are fans of good old school rock the likes of Rush? Dream Theater I guess could also go in there too. Just listening to some on the computer and I'm loving it, haven't heard it in awhile.
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

UALPHLCS

RE: Rush Fans Unite!

Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:53 am

I love Rush. hier cataloge takes up alot of disc space on my harddrive and shelf space in my CD collection. I've been to 7 concerts and haven't missed a tour since high school.
A little less Hooah, and a little more Dooah.

AWspicious

Sat Apr 09, 2005 6:03 am

Add me to the list. Fly by Night and Moving Pictures are two of my favorite Rush albums. Nothing brings out the air guitarist (and sometimes air drummer) in me like a solid Rush track.

Off Topic:
Hmm... A Perfect Circle, eh? Good choice.
Nevermind political correctness - Envision using your turn signals!

Logan22L

Sat Apr 09, 2005 6:05 am

Here comes Superfly with a woody! duck 

I used to own a Rickenbacker 4001 and I played many Rush songs back in late High School and in college. I really prefer the Caress of Steel - Hemispheres period, as that when when I listened to them the most. I saw them live in 1980, 1981, and 1983, IIRC.

Logan
"The deeper you go, the higher you fly. The higher you fly, the deeper you go."

whitehatter

Sat Apr 09, 2005 6:46 am

Quoting Logan22L (Reply 3):
I used to own a Rickenbacker 4001

If you weren't already on my RR list, you would be by now.

For fellow Rickenbacker nuts, here's a wee taste of Lemmy and his custom Rick

Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

Logan22L

Sat Apr 09, 2005 6:59 am

Quoting WhiteHatter (Reply 4):
here's a wee taste of Lemmy

Forgive my ignorance...he looks a bit like Roger Glover, who also used a 4001.

Logan

whitehatter

Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:07 am

Lemmy's a legend! Singer/bassist with Motorhead. Another Rick devotee.

Rickenbacker did the Lemmy bass as a special and the guy who does the carving left to work at Fender part way through, so they now sell for something like fifteen thousand a pop on EBay as there are so few.
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

Logan22L

Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:14 am

That's a sweet axe. One problem I had was that I could only use flatwound strings or else the frets got chewed to hell. As is was, I needed a fret job and a new truss rod (they were notoriusly bad on the 4001) and so I opted to sell it and put the $$$ toward a Double Bass that I still have 13 years later. I gave up electric for a few years after that, but now I have a fretless Fender Jazz with Rotosound TruBass strings that is smooth as silk. Cheap, but feels and sounds great.

In keeping with the thread, I haven't played much Rush in a long time, although I do include the cascading Xanadu lick often in my daily (OK, sometimes weekly) regimen.

Logan

Lemmy

Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:30 am

That Lemmy is one handsome fellow.

A friend of mine ran into him at a bar in LA a few years ago. It was 3 in the afternoon and the bartender told him that Lemmy had been there all week, playing Ms. Pac Man. He's even got the picture to prove it. Nice.
I am a patient boy ...

Superfly

Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:31 am

Yes indeed, I am a huge RUSH fan!
I have every LP including the imports and bootlegs. I just counted my RUSH collection and it comes to 61 LPs, picture disc, 12" singles, bootlegs and interview discs.
I even have every 8track release from the first album up to Grace Under Pressure (1984 Columbia record club only)
I came in on the Power Windows album and it was The Big Moeny video that pulled me in.
In fall 1990, I had the honor of meeting Geddy and Alex Lifeson along with a few other rock bands. They jokingly annoited me 'Honorary Canadian'.  Smile

A friend of mine won Neil Pearts Tama drum kit circa 1980-1982 custom made for Neil by the Percussion Center based in Fort Wayne, Indiana.

I've seen RUSH 16 times since there Hold Your Fire Tour in 1987-1988.

I'd love to chat more about RUSH but my weekend has just began and I wont be online much until Monday.
Bring back the Concorde

LY744

Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:56 am

So what are some good Rush songs to start me off?  Wink

LY744.
Pacifism only works if EVERYBODY practices it

TheRedBaron

Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:13 am

I started my Rush addiction in 1976...and I have all the music they make even the solo albums...I play a lot of their songs on guitar and now my Son (13) is playing Xanadu , Fly by night, Freewill etc...Heck even the Book "the masked Rider" by Peart is very entertaining.
I have seen them live 5 times AWESOME....

One of the best bands ever...
The best seat in a Plane is the Jumpseat.

Jaws707

Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:30 am

Simply RUSH rocks!!!!
Some of my favorite songs include:
Limelight
Spirit of Radio
Free Will
Time Stand Still
Red Barachetta
Closer to the heart
Working Man
Entre Nous
Tom Sawyer
Subdivisions

vaporlock

Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:39 am

Quoting DLKAPA (Thread starter):
Those who wish to be must put aside the alienation get on with the fascination the real relation the underlying dream..." 'Limelight' by Rush.

How many other people here are fans of good old school rock the likes of Rush? Dream Theater I guess could also go in there too. Just listening to some on the computer and I'm loving it, haven't heard it in awhile.

Quoting AWspicious (Reply 2):
Add me to the list. Fly by Night and Moving Pictures are two of my favorite Rush albums. Nothing brings out the air guitarist (and sometimes air drummer) in me like a solid Rush track.

Quoting Logan22L (Reply 3):
Here comes Superfly with a woody!

Logan, looks like you've started Supefly off to a GREAT WEEKEND!! Hey, if you have a good look at the 18 wheeler in the Boob-Lube post you'll notice that on the side of the cab is a "Rush" album cover!!! he he... Seeing Mr. Fly has such good taste in music, I just couldn't resist!!  wave 

"RUSH" are an amazing band! And Canadian at that!!!!!!! There are so many fantastic songs....ah, I think I'll have to pull out my albums this weekend and enjoy Spring with lots of great Rush music!

Phyllis  bouncy 

Biggles

Sat Apr 09, 2005 2:49 pm

I'm suprised no one has mentioned "YYZ" ? The beat at the beginning is morse code for YYZ. I guess Alex heard this while identifying the YYZ NDB .

FYI When Alex was getting his multi-engine endorsement at Toronto/Buttonville (CYKZ) , I was working for the flying school.Several times I went flying with Alex as ballast in the back of a PA-23 Aztec .
That was back in the early eighties.I remember Alex as a really nice guy.

aerobalance

Sat Apr 09, 2005 2:56 pm

When is Alex's trial start date, or has the matter been resolved?
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

vaporlock

Sat Apr 09, 2005 3:54 pm

Quoting Biggles (Reply 14):
I'm suprised no one has mentioned "YYZ" ? The beat at the beginning is morse code for YYZ. I guess Alex heard this while identifying the YYZ NDB .

FYI When Alex was getting his multi-engine endorsement at Toronto/Buttonville (CYKZ) , I was working for the flying school.Several times I went flying with Alex as ballast in the back of a PA-23 Aztec .
That was back in the early eighties.I remember Alex as a really nice guy.

Ah..another Canuck who knows "Buttonville".. I've spend many many hours there...nice little spot  wave 

Phyllis  bouncy 

Superfly

Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:48 am

Quoting Biggles (Reply 14):
Several times I went flying with Alex as ballast in the back of a PA-23 Aztec .

You luck MoFo!  Wow!  Wow!
That is awesome, I have a photo of him posing next to that PA-23 Aztec circa 1983.

OK time to name this RUSH tunes:
The evening plane rises up from the runway
Over constelations of light
I look down in to a million houses
and wonder what you're doing tonight

Stratospheric traces of our transitory flight
Trails of condensation held in narrow bands of white

Some who did not fight
brought tales of old to light
My 'Rocinante' saild by night
On her final flight
To the heart of Cygnus' fearsome force
we set our course
Spiralled throught that timeless space
to this immortal place
Bring back the Concorde

TheRedBaron

Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:54 am

I met Geddy and Alex Briefly in Houston in 1997...cool guys
have Neil drum Sticks!!!

and got second row seats in Mexico 2 years ago....

Biggles

Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:32 am

Quoting Vaporlock (Reply 16):
Ah..another Canuck who knows "Buttonville".. I've spend many many hours there...nice little spot

Hi Phyllis . I worked as a dispatcher for Toronto Airways 1981-1985. Started off at the flying school,then Torontair dispatching the Beech 99's and the FH-227 from YYZ. I had some rides in the Pa-31's ,King Air's and even had some right seat in the Twin Otter .Not bad since I only officially have 3 hours of instruction. Big grin
I have some great memories from Buttonville.  Smile I made lots of friends there.Many of the guys I worked with and flew with while they were building time are now flying in the big leagues.

Alan

JAGflyer

Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:46 am

I like Rush. Especially since their Canadian.
If you flew today, thank a Flight Dispatcher!

yokohama1970

Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:19 pm

Superfly,

Track 6. "Presto" on the album/CD "Presto" (1989).

Thank You Derek! Good Luck with the LA Dodgers

Andreas

Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:31 pm

And a Rush fan from Germany.....ME!!

And I guess I'm the one here on this Forum who had the most recent pleasure to see them live...in FRA/Germany, September 2004...am I right? Big grin
I know it's only VfB but I like it!

AGC525

Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:32 pm

Aviation nuts, I always wondered since their from Toronto, and the identifier is YYZ, if that is how they came to name thier one album. But my favorite song is "The Trees"

There is unrest in the forest
There is trouble with the trees
For the maples want more sunlight
And the oaks ignore their pleas

The trouble with the maples
(and they’re quite convinced they’re right)
They say the oaks are just too lofty
And they grab up all the light
But the oaks can’t help their feelings
If they like the way they’re made
And they wonder why the maples
Can’t be happy in their shade?

There is trouble in the forest
And the creatures all have fled
As the maples scream `oppression!`
And the oaks, just shake their heads

So the maples formed a union
And demanded equal rights
’the oaks are just too greedy
We will make them give us light’
Now there’s no more oak oppression
For they passed a noble law
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet,
Axe,
And saw ...
American Aviation: From Kitty Hawk to the Moon in 66 years!

TheRedBaron

Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:27 am

Also a trees fan here..and you can hear me whistle at the end of the trees in Rush Live album (circa 1998) hehehehe

the last part is Cygnus X-1

my favorite aviation related line in Rush music is:

Imagine a man....when it all began, the pilot of the Enola Gay flying out of the shockwave in an august day......
All the powers that be, and the course of history
would be changed forevermore....

Superfly

Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:43 am

Mahattan Project is an awesome song.  Cool
Power Windows is a flawless album. Middletown Dreams is my favorite. I love the bass solo at the end of the song and the orchestrations.

I need to scan in my old photos with me, Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson.
Bring back the Concorde

Superfly

Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:38 am

Bring back the Concorde

UALPHLCS

Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:44 am

Quoting LY744 (Reply 10):
So what are some good Rush songs to start me off?

LY744.

Start with Moving Pictures. It's a masterpiece, every song is a winner.

Rush is a very interesting band because they have evolved over the years incorporating new technology and sounds into thier cataloge. So you may find that you like different eras of Rush better than others and that's OK.

Here is what you will find every fourth studio album Rush would then put out a Concert Live album. Those Concert albums roughly corespond to direction changes in Rush.

RUSH
Fly by Night
Caress of Steel

This Is Rush as Heavy Metal Band and Led Zepplin wannabees. Not that it isn't good, But heavy heavy Zepplin influence. 2112 we begin to see a PRog Rock influence begining to creep into the style.

Farwell to Kings
Hemispheres
Permanent Waves
Moving Pictures

This is my favorite era of Rush These in my opinion are the best Rush albums and a quintessenial. You must get them first. Here is where Rush is in its ProgRisck phase, they sucessfully blend YES and Pink Floyd with harder rock music, and make Yes and Pink Floyd look like pansies. Along about Permanent Waves you begin to hear less guitar and more relience on synth. But this band dosn't forget what got them where they are and still rock.

Power Windows
Signals
Grace Under Pressure
Hold Your Fire

Now in the eightes Rush has turned away from guitar based music. Sound is dominated by synthizers. Some of Rushes best known songs come from this era. My second favorite era of Rush. Meanwhile lyrically Rush has abandoned the old influences of mythology, Lord of the Rings fantasy, and scifi, metaphores for a more real world lyric to get thier points across.

Presto
Roll The Bones
Test for Echo
Vapor Trails

These albums of the ninties Rush begins to reconnect witht he guitar based rock that they grew up on. Every indication especially with thier release of a cover EP of all thier old favorites, is that Rush is returning to it's original influences, Led Zeplin, Cream, and the like. Back to a hard sound. I like it alot.

So there is my musical history of Rush. Start in the middle is my recomendation and work your way out.

Superfly

Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:54 am

UALPHLCS:
You forgot 'Counterparts' in your list.
Bring back the Concorde

LY744

Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:24 am

Thanks all, UALPHLCS in particular.  Smile

LY744.
Pacifism only works if EVERYBODY practices it

UALPHLCS

Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:53 am

Oh my yes I did. How did I forget that! It's one of my favorites of the ninties. Duh.

Superfly

Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:04 am

UALPHLCS:
I was really disappointed with Counterparts when it first came out. I didn't like the idea of them going back to a heavy sound. I never liked the grunge thing or that 'Seatle sound' and Counterparts had a heavy grunge influence.
I was really amazed by Alex Lifeson's Victor CD. I really liked the variety that album offers and I wish RUSH would have went in that direction.
Bring back the Concorde

TheRedBaron

Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:47 pm

Middletown dreams and Power windows album is one of the best in my opinion and also the VICTOR album is SO DARN GOOD.....I just hope Alex doesnt end in jail...

Superfly

Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:34 am

Quoting Theredbaron (Reply 32):
I just hope Alex doesnt end in jail...

Maybe he'll have to do community service, such as a free concert or something. Big grin
Bring back the Concorde

AeroWesty

Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:39 am

I keep seeing this thread pop up near the top of the forum list, and think y'all are Rush Limbaugh fans.  Smile
International Homo of Mystery

UALPHLCS

Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:47 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 31):
I was really disappointed with Counterparts when it first came out. I didn't like the idea of them going back to a heavy sound. I never liked the grunge thing or that 'Seatle sound' and Counterparts had a heavy grunge influence.
I was really amazed by Alex Lifeson's Victor CD. I really liked the variety that album offers and I wish RUSH would have went in that direction.

Oddly enough I didn't like Victor while I like Counterparts alot. Victor made me glad that Neil is the lyricist for Rush. While Alex's musicianship and composing was never in doubt for me, lyrics left alot to be desired.

On the other hand counterparts had some great lyrics for great songs. Take my favorite Double Agent. What a great song and the lyrics are awesome.

Rush is a total package for me lyrics music and rythum. I've been dissapointed when parts of that package are removed.

Superfly

Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:53 am

Quoting UALPHLCS (Reply 35):
Victor made me glad that Neil is the lyricist for Rush. While Alex's musicianship and composing was never in doubt for me, lyrics left alot to be desired.

Oh shut and play the guitar!  Silly

Yes I agree the Victor lyrics were not strong but hey it's Alex Lifeson's project so I didn't expect Neil Pearts style of lyrics.
I wasn't too crazy about My Favorite Headache because it lacked Alex's unique style and it lacked Neil's lyrics.
What I liked about Victor is that every song is different and he did things instrumentaly that he hasn't done with RUSH.
My Favorite Headache was just RUSH-lite.
Bring back the Concorde

UALPHLCS

Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:56 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 36):
What I liked about Victor is that every song is different and he did things instrumentaly that he hasn't done with RUSH.

Now that's interesting. I have always thought it was a strong suit of Rush that eventhough individual song on an album were different, they fit into a musical and lyrical theme that extended across all the songs.

Personally I would much rahter have an album that has a point it is trying to make through the music than a hodge-podge of songs. If I wanted htat I could just make a compliation CD.

That's one pitfall I think bands have fallen into that plays into the download technology of the day. Rush picks a theme they write music that illustrates that theme from various POV's then they take the best songs that fit the theme and create an album. Most bands, just pick songs that are strong songs and put them together. There is no overarching whole, so why by a whole CD when only a few songs are your favorite. On the other hand Rush invites you to explore the theme in different ways, so even if a song isn't your favorite, (Take Vital Signs from Moving Pictures for example) I see how that song fits with the other songs on the album.

Rush is brilliant in this. Every CD and album they have made is in essence and concept album.

Superfly

Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:51 am

Quoting UALPHLCS (Reply 37):
There is no overarching whole, so why by a whole CD when only a few songs are your favorite.

Favorites can change over a period of time based on your personal change in taste/standards and/or life experiences. When Hold Your Fire (1987) came out, I wasn't a big fan of the album. At the time, I only liked the harder edge material. Now Hold Your Fire is one of my all time favorites. I can relate to the lyrics in Mission, Open Secrets and Second Nature more than when I was 14 years old.
Also Middletown Dreams, Grand Designs and Emotion Detector from Power Windows are songs that I can relate to now more than I could when I was 12 when that album came out. The Big Money is the song that pulled me in and I didn't really understand the lyrics that much at the age of 12. I knew then that music was mindblowing and till this day blows me away everytime I hear it.
Everytime I listen to Power Windows, I feel like an 8 year old visiting Disneyworld for the first time. That's how magical this album is to me. It's amazing that there are musicians that incredible.

It's great chating RUSH here at Airliners.net. Big grinD
I'll put you on my respected users list.
Bring back the Concorde

TheRedBaron

Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:03 am

To all of us that have been to a Rush concert isnt it amazing the wall of sound they produce? and the presicion of playing?

I heard them in Dallas on may 21 1997 and in Houston the 22 (next day) and the concerts were like they were playing a record....simply amazing, then on July 4 1997 (my birthday!) I saw them close the test for echo tour in Ottawwa.....seeing the roadies come out dressed as hawaian dancers on Tom Sawyer was somewthing Ill never forget...!!!!

UALPHLCS

Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:37 am

Quoting Theredbaron (Reply 39):
and the presicion of playing?

That has its dark side as well. During the Roll the Bones tour I went to two shows at the Philadelphia Spectrum (The FU Center wasn't finished yet) During the second night Alex broke a string and got so pissed that it messed up the song he threw the guitar AT the roadie. Fortunately, the roadie caught it, because it was that beautiful PRS guitar he had, black with the gold flame. Rush fans will know which one. I would have been upset if he had damaged that guitar in a fit.

Biggles

Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:40 pm

After reading all this Rush talk, I picked up Chronicles today.. Smile

UALPHLCS

Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:58 am

Chronicles is a good way to see the way Rush was evolved over 30 years. It's sort of the Cliffs Notes version of the explaination I gave LY744. Chronicles is basically a permanent fixture in my car CD changer, becasue it has not only my favorites by some live versions that I like better than the studio recording. For example Passage to Bangkok is so awesome in the live version from Exit...Stage Left, it's better than the original from 2112.

Superfly

Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:53 am

Quoting UALPHLCS (Reply 42):
For example Passage to Bangkok is so awesome in the live version from Exit...Stage Left, it's better than the original from 2112.

Did you know that Geddy Lee is playing his doubleneck Rickenbacker bass/guitar combo on that version of A Passage To Bangkok?
Listen to the guitar solo and you'll notice rythm guitar with bass pedal synthesizer playing the bass part.
Bring back the Concorde

UALPHLCS

Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:11 pm

I'm listening to it now. It doesn't surprise me at the time Exit...Stage left was recorded they used those double neck guitars alot.

FYI I had to buy the Rush bobbleheads that have them with those doublenecks. They are now my most prized if tacky possesions. They crack up all my friends from high school.

BTW how many who like Rush are musicians?

In my experience Rush is always been more admired by those who play, then the general music fan. I got into Rush in High School when I played trombone. The entire the drum line and low brass loved Rush. They also had fans in all the band kids who played piano. So basically, in my high school ONLY the musicians listened to Rush. Has anyone else seen the same?

TheRedBaron

Sat Apr 16, 2005 5:13 am

Decent guitar player here,hey how about playing "la villa strangiato"?

bad drummer.... Sad

UALPHLCS

Sat Apr 16, 2005 6:07 am

Quoting Theredbaron (Reply 45):
bad drummer....

Who's a bad drummer???

TheRedBaron

Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:02 pm

of course ME, I think Neil Peart is not onlyone of the best drummer EVER but a killer at writing lyrics...

I know like 30 rush songs (my fav to play..different strings and freewill).

I am a lousy Drummer

Superfly

Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:02 am

Quoting UALPHLCS (Reply 44):
In my experience Rush is always been more admired by those who play, then the general music fan. I got into Rush in High School when I played trombone. The entire the drum line and low brass loved Rush. They also had fans in all the band kids who played piano. So basically, in my high school ONLY the musicians listened to Rush. Has anyone else seen the same?

You are correct. Same thing when I was in high school. Notice how there are so many people playing air drums or air guitar at there concerts.
I play, guitar, bass and cowbell.  Smile
Bring back the Concorde

UALPHLCS

Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:07 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 48):
I play, guitar, bass and cowbell.

I love cowbell. I need more cowbell.

I got a fever and it can only be cured by more cowbell.