jpetekyxmd80

RE: White Smoke In Rome...

Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:52 am

Quoting Boeing7E7 (Reply 99):
CEO Catholic then??? Christmas, East and Occasional??? Do you have any idea how many people say they're Catholic yet have no idea what it is to be Catholic? People like you perhaps?

Actually not. There is no purpose arguing with you if you keep making unfounded assumptions of my Church activity. Why would you even come to these conclusions...for having a different point of view? Geeze
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

jpetekyxmd80

Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:54 am

Quoting Boeing7E7 (Reply 99):
Do you have any idea how many people say they're Catholic yet have no idea what it is to be Catholic?

I've gone through catechism and been confirmed by Archbishop Dolan.

[Edited 2005-04-19 23:55:08]

Boeing7E7

Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:55 am

Quoting JpetekYXMD80 (Reply 100):
Actually not. There is no purpose arguing with you if you keep making unfounded assumptions of my Church activity. Why would you even come to these conclusions...for having a different point of view? Geeze

Your apparent dissastisfaction with the fact that a Pope who holds true to the Word was elected, your dropping of the "F" bomb over the Priest issue which is not a result of Church Policy, but of liberal perversion of what is right and what is wrong.

Quoting JpetekYXMD80 (Reply 101):
I've gone through catechism and been confirmed by Archbishop Dolan.

I don't care if you were baptized by the Pope himself. It's not what you do that saves you, it's what you believe. Clearly you should re-examine what it is you believe.

[Edited 2005-04-19 23:57:17]

jpetekyxmd80

Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:56 am

Quoting Boeing7E7 (Reply 102):
your dropping of the "F" bomb over the Priest issue which is not a result of Church Policy

Never said it was. You said that church policy was a huge motive for the faltering numbers of the American Catholic church. I just simply added you cannot forget about that to be a MAJOR turn off.

jpetekyxmd80

Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:57 am

but of liberal perversion of what is right and what is wrong.

Who would say that sexual abuse is right? HONESTLY!!!

mdsh00

Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:58 am

Quoting 22right (Reply 96):
What's there to get? It's just another "tradition" in a long line of nonsensical, pre-historic traditions (e.g. black/white smoke signals, ringing of bells, etc etc).

Actually, look at Ctbarnes reply to my question and it is just a joke on German tourists.

Quoting 22right (Reply 96):
I used to think Hinduism had some irrational traditions. But increasingly, the glorified antics in the Vatican which have been lapped up with unquestioning reverence have me thinking otherwise.

The difference here though, is that Hinduism is FAR from organized, especially when compared to the Catholic Church. Hindu "Traditions" are more local culture than actual doctrine of the religion, with a huge amount of flexibility on how you want to practice.

Boeing7E7

Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:59 am

Quoting JpetekYXMD80 (Reply 103):
You said that church policy was a huge motive for the faltering numbers of the American Catholic church. I just simply added you cannot forget about that to be a MAJOR turn off.

I didn't say that. I said liberalism will be it's downfall.

jpetekyxmd80

Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:59 am

Ok pal. I said I was strongly against the clergy abuse scandal. I said i am in favor of more liberal stances regarding women, and am not very pleased with the choice of Pope today. Where on earth would you get the brass to say:

I don't care if you were baptized by the Pope himself. It's not what you do that saves you, it's what you believe. Clearly you should re-examine what it is you believe.

Boeing7E7

Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:03 am

Quoting JpetekYXMD80 (Reply 107):
Ok pal. I said I was strongly against the clergy abuse scandal. I said i am in favor of more liberal stances regarding women, and am not very pleased with the choice of Pope today. Where on earth would you get the brass to say:

Because it's not your decision, it's the Chruches Decision and re-examining your beliefs will lead you to make a decision one way or another on what you believe. Do you have your own belief system, or are you a Catholic? It sounds to me like you have your own beliefs not those of the Church. On the issues of Liberalism, the church is right not to follow that path.

jpetekyxmd80

Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:06 am

Quoting Boeing7E7 (Reply 108):
Do you have your own belief system, or are you a Catholic? It sounds to me like you have your own beliefs not those of the Church.

I most definitely have my own beliefs and those i will never relinquish. I use the Church to guide me in those beliefs, but I will never totally subject myself to all aspects of an authoritative entity. I believe that that type of thinking can be very dangerous. Go ahead and call me un-Catholic, or even un-Christian as you have, but there are many Catholics out there that share my belief of having their own belief system, many. And if those people leave, well you can pretty much say goodbye to the Catholic church as a major religion in the United States.

flybyguy

Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:12 am

This decision was clearly an error on the Vatican's part... If there was any reason whatsoever Ratzinger was not to be elected, clearly it would have been due to his questionable past as a 'Hitler Youth'. I figure if Bush were found to be related to a NAZI he would have lost the last last election to a mule (I would have said KKK, but unfortunately, few in America seem to care much for African-Americans).

California's gubernatorial election had Schwartzenegger elected out of desperation and poor choices (i.e. Gary Coleman, and the rest of the circus). No one in the United States would have NAZI's or NAZI kin as President.

The Church I have been raised in and trusted all my young life has let me down big time for one man's quest for power and influence.
"Are you a pretender... or a thoroughbred?!" - Professor Matt Miller

Boeing7E7

Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:17 am

I didn't say you were un-Chirstian. Just as there are Catholics with differing opinions, in the Lutheran Church there are those who have differing opinions. If their opinions shifted the beliefs of my church to those more secular in nature and not tied to biblical truth I would abandon the Church. Plain and simple.

The Lutheran Church (Missouri Synod) follows a theology I believe to be true, one you should consider based on your beliefs. Your beliefs are exaclty why Luther did what he did. Others have taken Luthers steps and gone off the deep end, even some branches of the Lutheran Faith which is why I made the distinction on the Synod.

jpetekyxmd80

Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:22 am

Well actually you kind of did..

Quoting Boeing7E7 (Reply 91):
Nice. Real nice. Clearly not a Christian, so why should you even care?

But yes, I also do respect Martin Luther and the Lutheran Church as well. I can see why he would have done it. I might not be the 'strongest' Catholic, and thats OK. Heck, its even possible I could convert at a time, who knows. I'm just trying to have a discussion here about the direction of the Church and don't enjoy being confronted and having my own religious beliefs assumed.

Boeing7E7

Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:26 am

Quoting JpetekYXMD80 (Reply 112):
But yes, I also do respect Martin Luther and the Lutheran Church as well.

Just don't respect all of the Lutheran branches. Some have really taken Liberal Theology to a new level.

Quoting JpetekYXMD80 (Reply 112):
I'm just trying to have a discussion here about the direction of the Church and don't enjoy being confronted and having my own religious beliefs assumed.

Then don't drop an "F" bomb like you did.

jpetekyxmd80

Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:28 am

Quoting Boeing7E7 (Reply 113):
Then don't drop an "F" bomb like you did.

Sorry, it was not appropriate. That whole situations really infuriates me with all its hypocrisy and such a black eye it has given the Church here.

MD11Engineer

Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:30 am

Quoting Flybyguy (Reply 110):
This decision was clearly an error on the Vatican's part... If there was any reason whatsoever Ratzinger was not to be elected, clearly it would have been due to his questionable past as a 'Hitler Youth'. I figure if Bush were found to be related to a NAZI he would have lost the last last election to a mule (I would have said KKK, but unfortunately, few in America seem to care much for African-Americans).

I´ve stated it already in this forum that about 90% of Germans of Ratzinger´s generation were members of one or another of the Nazi youth organisations. While membership in the Jungvolk (Boys, age 7 to 12), Hitlerjugend (Boys, age 12 to 16), Bund Deutscher Mädchen (Girls, age 7 to 18) and Glaube und Schönheit (Young unmarried women) was not compulsory by law, those who refused had to undergo serious bullying by teachers and class mates in school and outside, also the parents became politically suspect and in the worst case got into serious trouble with the Gestapo, with subsequent arrest in an concentration camp. Other youth organisations, like the Boy Scout movement were forbidden by the Nazis (the Boy Scouts for being too internationalist). Older Hitler Youth members were also conscripted into combat and civil defense duty during the war, e.g. Ratzinger served as an auxilary anti aircraft gunner (Flakhelfer), my former history teacher had to serve first as a bicycle dispatch rider in Berlin during air raids (just being protected by a helmet and gas mask), and later, when the Russians were already in the outskirts of Berlin, got handed a rifle and told to take on the Red Army with a few friends. My teacher lost both eyes due to shrapnel from a Russian tank gun.
Some Hitler Youth members had especially bad luck, when their whole units were simply made a part of the SS, without the members being asked. These boys had a serious problem after the war, because their pay books suddenly had an SS stamp in them. The same happened to complete Luftwaffe infantry units, which suddenly got incorporated into the Waffen-SS.
Girls were conscripted to e.g. work in agriculture or hospitals. Some got trained as signallers.
From the age of 17 until military age, at least before the war, every young German had to join the Reichsarbeitsdienst by law, a Nazi organisation, which did building work, like roads or bunkers and other military installations.

So I wouldn´t blame Ratzinger for his membership in the HJ, which could have happened to anybody of his age.
But I understand that he is a very controversial figure for German Catholics. German catholics have the reputation of being a bit rebelious, and there has been (and still is) a power struggle between a centralist church administration in Rome and the local bishops, who have to work with their church members.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

gkirk

Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:43 am

Im not religious but the Catholic church voted for who was best.
Everyone should get used to it
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

jpetekyxmd80

Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:46 am

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 116):

Only eventual hindsight and faith could make that true.

ctbarnes

Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:50 am

One important thing to remember is that the Catholic Church is far greater than simply one man at the top. It is even greater than the curial officials in Rome. Instead, the church is all of us the faithful and the hirearchy together. Furthermore, the true leader of the Christian Church is Christ himself. The Pope is merely a human representitive who does not take the place of Christ, nor try to replace him.

This, at its heart, is what makes the Pope inherently different from a corporate CEO. There have been good popes and disasterous papacies over the centuries, but all through it has been the hand of God guiding us all through the history of the Church. Because the Church is a human enterprise it is far from perfect. Some are better at listening to the Spirit than others. Yet at the same time it is something of a copout to blame the hirearchy for all the problems in the Church. We need to step up and assume responsibility for the Church as well, rather than passively trying to point the finger that the Church's problems are due to someone else.

Yet all through this God is at work. It may not be apparent here and now, but there is a grace here someplace.

Charles, SJ
The customer isn't a moron, she is your wife -David Ogilvy

flybyguy

Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:52 am

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 115):
I´ve stated it already in this forum that about 90% of Germans of Ratzinger´s generation were members of one or another of the Nazi youth organisations.

I am aware that many had no choice to become NAZIs, but all I am saying is that it was in poor taste to elect someone who has NAZI affiliations especially after Pope John Paul II tried so hard during his tenure to heal the rift between the Catholic Church and Jews.
"Are you a pretender... or a thoroughbred?!" - Professor Matt Miller

QANTAS077

Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:53 am

Quoting Andreas (Reply 10):
Funny enough, the German (and North American) cardinals are against Ratzinger!!!!

whats even more funny is the man himself didn't want to be pope either...the catholic church just went back in time!

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 116):

the Cardinals voted for who they think was best, perhaps not alot of thought went into it though...

MD11Engineer

Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:58 am

Ratzinger is now 78 years old (his birthday was last week). He was born in 1927, this makes him more or less exactly 18 years old at the end of the war. The Hitler Youth was a means of the Nazis to indoctrinate the German youth, but Ratzinger was a kid and a teenager during the Nazi rule. Even Israel takes into consideration if a German was younger than 18 years old at the time of the German surrender. And who says that he joined voluntarily? After all, to be active and make career in the Nazi party, you had to leave church, since the Nazis had a totalitarian attitude towards the people.

Jan

ZRH

Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:03 am

I am not catholic so I don't care too much. But I saw on several TV interviews that most Catholics here in Switzerland are very disappointed. A lot of women said that they want to quite the catholic church.

MD11Engineer

Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:14 am

I expect the same in Germany. A few years ago, there was a major conflict betweenthe German bishops and layety on one hand and Rome on the other hand about the church partizipating in counseling pregnant women, who were considering an abortion. By German law an abortion is legal if it is being carried out during thefirst three months and if the woman undergoes counseling concering her rights and wellfare programs, to convince her to keep the baby. This was also the aim of the Catholic family counseling centers, to make women keep their babies, by showing them opportunities like e.g. financial aid or help with their families. Now some women decided after the counseling to have the abortion anyway, with the paper that they underwent counsilng, so the John Paul II declared that this way the German catholic church was actively participating in abortions and ordered them to stop the counseling completely. The people actually working in the communities regretted this, because they felt that, after all, they could stop a lot of women from having abortions and got supported by their bishops.

Jan

Klaus

Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:26 am

Ratzinger has been a very consistently reactionary figure in the german catholic church for many years who never failed to stand up for dogma in any dispute.

Maybe, just maybe he will see some things differently when he´s no longer working in a framework dominated by others but is feeling the weight of the dominating role on his own shoulders... but my hopes are slim.

TACAA320

Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:33 am

Quoting LH526 (Reply 97):
"yet I have to admit" ..

So "you don't care", but "you want to be here". That's weird. Well... it's your privilege. So stay happy...

Quoting ZRH (Reply 122):
A lot of women said that they want to quite the catholic church.

Maybe she was looking for a s*upid excuse to do that. And now she found the s*upidiest one.

By the way, here in Costa Rica, I bet every single woman is happy with His Holiness Benedictus XVI.

[Edited 2005-04-20 01:44:42]
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

NoUFO

Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:33 am

Interesting. Whenever I claim, Germany would still have to take into account that some citizens of countries affected by WW2 and Israel share some kind of suspiciousness against Germans, others here on the forums say this would be a mere (and lame) excuse to get out of things and to not spend more money on the military.
And what happens when the conclave elects a 78-year-old German who, as so many others, spent some years in the Hitler youth 60 years ago (many people die before celebrating their 60th birthday): People feel uncomfortable, because he's "a former Nazi".
I support the right to arm bears

NoUFO

Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:40 am

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 123):
By German law an abortion is legal if it is being carried out during thefirst three months and if the woman undergoes counseling concering her rights and wellfare programs, to convince her to keep the baby.

More exactly, this procedure does not render abortion legal, but those involved won't have to face criminal prosecution:

"Under the terms of the new law, abortion is prohibited. However, a woman who has an abortion during the first trimester will not be prosecuted as long as she undergoes counseling that must seek to persuade her to carry the pregnancy to term. An abortion is fully legal if the pregnancy is the result of rape or if completing the pregnancy would endanger the woman's health. The doctor performing the abortion likewise remains free from prosecution."
http://www.germany-info.org/relaunch...tions_en/health/healthissues3.html

MD11Engineer

Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:27 am

Concerning Ratzinger´s past during the 3rd Reich:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...20050419/en_afp/vaticanpopegermany

Jan

NWA

Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:20 pm

S someone that is going to take the first step into the catholic church, I must say that I hope and pray for this new pope, and may he lead Christians around the world and attract new people to the Christian/catholic faith. I find it amazing that so many people here are so mad, when he has not even had a chance to do anything yet. Tolerance? You Judge him but yet do not see How they are contradicting themselves. Pope Benedict XVI it looks will be the first pope I will see as a Catholic.
23 victor, turn right heading 210, maintain 3000 till established, cleared ILS runwy 24.

clipperhawaii

Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:38 pm

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 74):
A disappointing day that will have long term ramifications for the Church.

No not really. What a poorly thought out statement. Remember the Church is 2000 years old and will be around for another 2000.

Quoting Ctbarnes (Reply 118):
One important thing to remember is that the Catholic Church is far greater than simply one man at the top. It is even greater than the curial officials in Rome. Instead, the church is all of us the faithful and the hirearchy together. Furthermore, the true leader of the Christian Church is Christ himself. The Pope is merely a human representitive who does not take the place of Christ, nor try to replace him.

Hehe Amen! I like the choice of Pope Benedict. The church has it's teachings and traditions. Why mess with it? You can't choose and line out what you agree with or not. Many Catholics choose what they like and ignore the others. True church doctrine does not allow for this.
"You Can't Beat The Experience"

jaysit

Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:42 pm

It wasn't his decision. He just made clear what the Church teaches: the only valid Sacrament of Communion is the one consacrated by a Catholic priest.

Then don't prattle on about how much the Catholic Church loves and respect Lutherans.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

PA110

Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:58 pm

Quoting TACAA320 (Reply 125):
By the way, here in Costa Rica, I bet every single woman is happy with His Holiness Benedictus XVI.

Then you probably don't know women very well. Honestly, I can't believe you can be so naive!
Look, it's been swell, but the swelling's gone down.

jcs17

Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:07 pm

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 94):
Not under Ratzinger.

This is the same man who harshly thundered on about the evil of a single joint communion between German Catholics and Lutherans in 2003.

What planet are you on?

Jaysit, the only way that a pope would gain your support is if he said homosexuality was a-okay. He could make a peace with the Protestants, Muslims, Jews, Taoists, etc. and you would say he was a crappy choice if he opposed homosexuality. Let's not beat around the bush (no pun intended) here. Again, you're desprately looking for affirmation for your lifestyle, and the Catholic church is the last place you should look.

As for Benedict XVI, who the hell cares (this coming from a Catholic)? Did you expect anything less from the church? Did you really expect the Catholic church to reform? I've been confirmed a Catholic, but I could really care less about the church at this point. Hell, I went up to recieve Communion at my girlfriend's Lutheran church during Easter. I believe that transubstantiation is one of the biggest shams pulled over Catholics' eyes ever. It REPRESENTS Jesus. It's like believing in Santa Claus. Umm, if it was really Jesus' body it would've tasted not like a piece of wafer and if it was really Jesus' blood it would've tasted like blood. As Catholics we need to step back in to reality for a few seconds and adapt our doctrine to what we know is real and what is false. We need to get out of the year 200.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

mrniji

Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:11 pm

Quoting JCS17 (Reply 133):
As Catholics we need to step back in to reality for a few seconds and adapt our doctrine to what we know is real and what is false. We need to get out of the year 200.

This is really the first time I agree with something you post on a.net.. if this happened, inter-religious life, tolerance etc. would be enhanced!
"The earth provides enough resources for everyone's need, but not for some people's greed." (Gandhi)

jaysit

Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:17 pm

Again, you're desprately looking for affirmation for your lifestyle, and the Catholic church is the last place you should look.

Apparently its the first place one should look, what with all those closeted hypocritical homos buggerin' little boys. But then you should know. Isn't that where you were first "baptized"?

This Pope has not made peace with other religions. He considers the Lutheran Church to be less than. What great ecumenical hope do the Taoists have?

And I couldn't care less if some fossil said being gay was A-OK. I do care when he says that its but natural that gays get beaten up when they ask for their basic civil rights - civil rights, not rights under Catholic doctrine. That's the point where he goes beyond the scope of his religious powers.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

HAWK21M

Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:36 pm

Can the Pope choose Any Name,Or is there a list from which names are chosen.
Also anyone having the List of the 265 popes till date.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

NoUFO

Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:51 pm

As far as I know, he can choose any name he wants. Personally, I was disappointed he didn't choose George Ringo (the second half of the Beatles after John Paul).

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 136):
Also anyone having the List of the 265 popes till date.

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/12272b.htm

[Edited 2005-04-20 11:52:04]

LH526

Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:37 pm

Pope Pius XII nearly gave a shit on what was happening during the Nazi regime .... this just as a fact!
He didn't care (or didn't want to care) about what was happening in the concentration camps, so, what is worse now: A small child that (volunterily or not) went with the mainstream during that time (Wich was bad and stupid indeed) or one of the highest moral instance (Pope Pius XII) that closed his eyes facing the nazi genocide during WWII?

Who is to blame??????

Mario
LH526
Trittst im Morgenrot daher, seh ich dich im Strahlenmeer ...

JGPH1A

Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:40 pm

Interesting list, Leviticus - clearly in the early days, the requirements were sainthood were slightly lower than those required nowadays to get an Amex card - EVERYONE got it. At what point did they raise the bar - was it when they got to 365 saints, and ran out of days ?
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

TACAA320

Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:35 pm

Quoting PA110 (Reply 132):
Then you probably don't know women very well. Honestly, I can't believe you can be so naive!

Can you prove the opposite? [I'm referring about what I previously said].
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

FDXmech

Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:30 am

>>>This decision was clearly an error on the Vatican's part... If there was any reason whatsoever Ratzinger was not to be elected, clearly it would have been due to his questionable past as a 'Hitler Youth'. I figure if Bush were found to be related to a NAZI he would have lost the last last election to a mule (I would have said KKK, but unfortunately, few in America seem to care much for African-Americans).<<<

Do you suspect hanging chads? Get a life.
You're only as good as your last departure.

HeyMach

Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:51 am

Quoting Dvk (Reply 46):
I'm resisting the urge to pray for a reign as short as that of John Paul I (one month).

How uncharitable and unchristian!

TACAA320

Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:00 am

Quoting HeyMach (Reply 142):
How uncharitable and unchristian!

Can you expect anymore more from him? Because I don't.

JUANR

Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:25 am

Quoting TACAA320 (Reply 125):

By the way, here in Colombia 54% of the population is happy with Rantzinger as Pope, 45% is either sad, scared or disappointed. Ironically the three Colombian Cardinals are very well known as Ratzinger supporters, specially Castrillon and Lopez Trujillo.

Juan
SKBO
Bogotá: 2600 Metros Más Cerca De Las Estrellas; Vamos por los XVII Juegos Nacionales!!!!!!!!!