AA777
Topic Author

Getting Hit On....

Sat May 14, 2005 2:34 pm

Today I was hit on....Quasi harassed even... by a bunch of men (I am a guy) and im 20, and this was my first experience with this sort of thing. I was at dinner when I notice these two guys walking past me, and they stare me up and down. I just looked back at them (maybe I shouldnt have, but it was a "why are you STARING at me look, not a "hello" look) and then went back to my dinner. Later, a very drunk friend of theirs comes to me with very beer-laden breath, and tells me that his friend wanted to know If I had a boyfriend. I just said "no" and he left. Then the guy goes back, reports the news and the whole table erupts in laughter, squeals, etc.... to make a long story short, the rest of the table walks by and does the same thing. At the end, when they left, the guy who looked me up and down so many times (5/6 times) brings me a reciept with his name and number on it, saying it was for his friend so-and-so..... It really made me uncomfortable, especially since I was with some of my family....not to mention some people I had just met at the dinner table.

Anyhow... my cousin told me to take it as a compliment, and I kinda do...lol...but its funny because my sister was there and she was ready to yell. I wasnt really mad, rather kind of embarassed and shocked that people actually do these kinds of things. First of all I dont even hit on anyone, it usually doesnt work and I am not that kind of guy and I am not looking for one night of fun...with anyone.

What upsets me most really is that I've never held any grudges towards gay men (all the ones I know are really nice, great people, and thats all I care about) but the way I feel makes me doubt my tolerant behavior because I feel kinda wierded out....in reality I know its NOT a big deal, and that they were REALLY drunk, but I think it was pretty classless and crass, especially after I made it clear to them that I had no interest in that sort of thing, and they kept on walking by and glaring at me. I think also the thing was that my sister and cousin were there...

In reality I know most people (Straight, gay, bi, trans...whatever...) arent like that, or I hope that they arent... if they are... I think its kinda sad....that people do these kinds of things...it really made me feel kinda...used I guess...because they really thought what they were doing was so funny...whereas I was sitting there keeping to myself and they wouldnt stop.

SO this is a message for all you guys who bother girls, men, and whoever else...really...dont because its simply not very nice.....

Anyhow...any similar experiences? this isnt a hate mail at all...and if u think it is...well... sorry. I just kinda needed to talk out loud.

-AA777

Oh and one other thing, should I play a prank on this guy with the phone number they gave? lol.....

theCoz

RE: Getting Hit On....

Sat May 14, 2005 2:51 pm

Quoting AA777 (Thread starter):
it really made me feel kinda...used I guess...because they really thought what they were doing was so funny...whereas I was sitting there keeping to myself and they wouldnt stop.

That's how I felt when I first met KROC, but unlike you, I got this warm tingly feeling inside.

Signed,

Captovuer

senorcarnival

Sat May 14, 2005 2:57 pm

I don't mean to stereotype gay men, but if a gay guy hits on you, you should take it as a compliment. They can be a very picky bunch.
Oh no, she's getting impatient! Take a stab at it!

Mexicana757

Sat May 14, 2005 2:59 pm

Oh and one other thing, should I play a prank on this guy with the phone number they gave? lol.....

Dont waste your time trying to prank those guys. Sorry you had to go through that, I bet other people around were watching. At least you kept your cool, shows you know how to control yourself. I agree take it as a complement, but what they did was rude.

The good thing is you will not get to see these people again, i hope.

diamond

Sat May 14, 2005 3:08 pm

If you are totally comfortable with your sexuality and your looks, you'll find such incidents as mildy amusing and mildy flattering - and you won't think twice about it the next day.

If it distresses you, you might examine what button got pushed.
Blank.

DLKAPA

Sat May 14, 2005 3:15 pm

If it happens to you again, just tell the guy you don't like men. Don't be an ass about it, just be like "Thanks, but I'm not into men." and that will probably end it.
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

777ER
Head Moderator

Sat May 14, 2005 3:38 pm

Quoting Senorcarnival (Reply 2):
but if a gay guy hits on you, you should take it as a compliment. They can be a very picky bunch.

Why didn't you say something like "I know im attractive and your just jelous that your not as beautiful as me"

Now that would be tempting, like get a girl to phone him
Head Forum Moderator
[email protected]
Flown: 1900D,S340,Q300,AT72-5/6,DC3,CR2/7,E145,E70/75/90,A319/20/21,A332/3,A359,A380,F100,B717,B733/4/8/9,B742/4,B752/3,B763,B772/3, B789
With: NZ,SJ,QF,JQ,EK,VA,AA,UA,DL,FL,AC,FJ,SQ,TG,PR

flybyguy

Sat May 14, 2005 4:29 pm

I don't mean to stereotype gay men, but if a gay guy hits on you, you should take it as a compliment. They can be a very picky bunch.

That's kinda bizarre... but I would be confused myself if that happened to me. But I would have to agree with Senorcarnival, that the actions no matter how unsettling they were could be taken as a compliment. You must be a pretty handsome fellow to be hit on by an entire table of people. In that case, you'll be up to your neck in female groupies at college parties.

You Lucky B.
"Are you a pretender... or a thoroughbred?!" - Professor Matt Miller

LHMark

Sat May 14, 2005 9:38 pm

I wouldn't find the incident he described amusing, nor would a girl find such an incident amusing if it were a table of straight men. And your sister was justified in getting mad. Continuing to press after a decline is harassment. Those dudes needed to be made to stop.

You can't force yourself on people after they've said no, especially in public, in an emotionally bullying way. It gets you fired at work, and, regardless of orientation, it should get you thrown out of a restaurant. It's called being an asshole.
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

TedTAce

Sat May 14, 2005 10:20 pm

At least you were hit on!!!
This space intentionally left blank

CORULEZ05

Sun May 15, 2005 2:33 am

but if a gay guy hits on you, you should take it as a compliment. They can be a very picky bunch.

yes indeed....we are a picky bunch!

What is the big deal? So, you got hit on and you got a guy's number...no biggy. Its not like he was trying to hook up with you. He never made physical contact with you. It is not a big deal at all. On the contrary, you should take it as a compliment because someone found you attractive...maybe not the person you WANTED..but the point is, someone did. It would be rude for you to do anything with his number because like I said, he never made contact with you. From what I read, seems like he was actually very respectful because he kept his distance. All in all, I don't know what you are complaining about...are you a homophobic?????...this kinda makes me think you are.....

[Edited 2005-05-14 19:35:43]
Fly jetBlue today!!!!!!!

AirT85

Sun May 15, 2005 3:23 am

I will start out by saying I am a gay man.

I moved to Arizona three months ago, and currently wait tables at a local casual-dining restaurant. Before I arrived...this restaurant was the most Republican, closed-minded, used-to-tradition restaurant I have ever seen. They've adjusted well to having a gay guy working for them (a lot of them actually tell me its nice to have a gay guy in the store) but some of the customers are VERY vocal about "hating gays".

Anyway, last night one of my tables was drinking and had four rounds in just over an hour. I went to check on them to see how they were taking it - and when I approached, one of the men at the table, who had a wedding ring on, went "Tony - you're so hot!" So I smiled and said "Thank you" and asked how they were doing. He proceeded to repeat himself, "Tony. I mean it. You're really hot." So I said thanks again, to which he replied "I have an empty apartment." His friends all chimed in with "Yeah he has an empty apartment. You wanna fix that for him?" and before I knew it the whole table was harassing me. There was no getting them off the subject of their drunk friend hitting on me/harassing me. It was obvious they were all drunk, and I was really starting to get upset by their persistence. So I cut them off from drinking anymore, got the manager involved, the check was dropped and they left after becoming completely irrate that I had chosen not only to cut them off, but not to take their friend up on his offer.

Now, the moral is this. Drunk people do stupid things. I've waited on this table of people before and they've always been nice to me. They've never drunk that much that quickly at my table before or gotten drunk under my watch. So I attribute it to alcohol. I'm sure they aren't the a**holes they showed themselves to be last night.

Just take what happened with a grain of salt. Gay or straight, its nice to get hit on. Sometimes it goes a little too far (your story and mine) but if no one gets hurt, then no harm is really done, is their?

-Tony
Why would God make us all so different, if He wanted us to be the same?

OzarkD9S

Sun May 15, 2005 3:31 am

AA777:

I apologize on behalf of the gay community for your ordeal. Thier mommas obviously didn't teach them good manners.

But hopefully your experience will make you appreciate what women have been going through for centuries, and the next time you see some macho pig harassing some woman, you'll remember your experience and tell him to cut the crap.

I'm glad to see this isolated incident hasn't turned you against us, we really are a fun people fo the most part!
"True, I talk of dreams,
Which are the children of an idle brain." -Mercutio

TedTAce

Sun May 15, 2005 3:35 am

Quoting AirT85 (Reply 11):
Drunk people do stupid things.

I think we ought to start a thread on this alone....
This space intentionally left blank

seb146

Sun May 15, 2005 4:47 am

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 9):
At least you were hit on!!!

That would be nice, wouldn't it?

My feeling is: I am gay. If I see an attractive guy, I will check him out. But to actually go talk to him and tell him I think he is attractive is not going to happen unless we are at a gay club. I still have the fear I had when I was growing up that if I say anything I will get the snot kicked out of me.

But even if I am at a club, I am too shy to say anything.

Yes, gay guys are a selective group and if one thinks you are good looking, just accept the compliment and move on. But, don't lead him on. Don't go calling him and make him think something will happen. How would you feel if you hit on a hot girl and she led you on? Same thing. It doesn't seem like it sometimes, but we have feelings too.

GO CANUCKS!!
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

lehpron

Sun May 15, 2005 4:50 am

I've gotten looks and they have tried to be my friend, so to speak, just talky, like me. But so far they have been ladies, most older than me. In the past I get more attention from people at work than at school. I think it is because I am only at work for school, that being too busy working my ass off to impressing the boss to pay attention to others gives the impression of playing hard to get, that and I can look as much as 8 years older than I am.

I have gotten looks from girls in school, if I somehow display an "I can help you out" impression on them, then I get them for the time being. It has only happened once, and the girl was just a year from me, most beautiful friend I ever had. Good times  cool 

It's someone mentioned in here once, "if you want someone you gotta act like you dont". But I do not know anyone to want and do not want anyone I don't know. I'm flattered, I like it but I'm just tryna get by, so why me?

Never been hit on by a guy, I'd be curious for it so I can claim it happened. I'm sure it will at some point, I'm still young.
The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.

seb146

Sun May 15, 2005 4:54 am

Quoting Lehpron (Reply 15):
Never been hit on by a guy, I'd be curious for it so I can claim it happened. I'm sure it will at some point, I'm still young.

Hey cutie, how you doin'?  laughing 

GO CANUCKS!!
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

lehpron

Sun May 15, 2005 5:25 am

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 16):
Hey cutie, how you doin'?

Dude I biased you, that doesn't count!  

You would have to say it literally unprovoked, technically I would be forever suspicious of anything you said simply because I had to ask/complain first.

If someone really cared they would notice and mention it without your inquiring about it.

Thanks hot stuff, that was a good laugh, lemme know if you ever wanna 'spilt a T'.  

[Edited 2005-05-14 22:29:55]
The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.

Mexicana757

Sun May 15, 2005 5:51 am

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 16):
Quoting Lehpron (Reply 15):

Hey cutie, how you doin'?

Haha too funny  rotfl 

Well at least some people get hit on. I haven't gotten hit on by guys. frown 

AA777
Topic Author

Sun May 15, 2005 7:14 am

Quoting CORULEZ05 (Reply 10):
are you a homophobic?

...no I am not one at all. I said all of 7 words to them, cuz two different people approached me at different times.... one was "no" when he asked me if I had a BF, and the other was "No really, you can keep it." when he offered me his friend's number. I didnt yell, I didnt even give them a firm voice, I just answered them quietly and looked down. I didnt do anything wrong. All I am saying is that people should mind their manners and not go around drunk off their a**es and making other people feel uncomfortable while they are minding their own business and trying to enjoy dinner...that goes for ANY person, not just gay men. Anyhow, its true, no harm done, but it was just a very surprising experience, especially it being like 6 people...not just one...

And Ozark, thank you, I agree 110 percent with your post  Smile

-AA777

backfire

Sun May 15, 2005 7:21 am

Later, a very drunk friend of theirs comes to me with very beer-laden breath, and tells me that his friend wanted to know If I had a boyfriend. I just said "no" and he left. Then the guy goes back, reports the news and the whole table erupts in laughter, squeals, etc.... to make a long story short, the rest of the table walks by and does the same thing. At the end, when they left, the guy who looked me up and down so many times (5/6 times) brings me a reciept with his name and number on it, saying it was for his friend so-and-so.....

Just a brief question - are you certain these guys were gay? I can imagine this sort of behaviour from straight guys just trying to take the piss.

Maybe you should have invited them outside and kicked their collective arses. Big grin

KaiGywer

Sun May 15, 2005 7:31 am

What upsets me most really is that I've never held any grudges towards gay men (all the ones I know are really nice, great people, and thats all I care about) but the way I feel makes me doubt my tolerant behavior because I feel kinda wierded out....in reality I know its NOT a big deal, and that they were REALLY drunk, but I think it was pretty classless and crass, especially after I made it clear to them that I had no interest in that sort of thing, and they kept on walking by and glaring at me. I think also the thing was that my sister and cousin were there...

You still shouldn't get any grudges. Yes, it probably was uncomfortable for a straight guy to get hit on by a guy, but, like others have said, this is what girls go through all the time. Still, they don't have "grudges" against straight guys.

Take it as a compliment  Smile

PS! Yes, I'm straight
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an