Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

rootsair
Topic Author

The Official FIFA Confederations Cup Thread

Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:23 pm

starting tonight will be starting the German confederations cup.

Here are the following groups !

GROUP1

Germany
Argentina
Tunisia
Australia

GROUP 2

Greece
Brazil
Mexico
Japan

Tonight's fixtures

Argentina-Tunisia 6 pm CET

Germany -Australia 8:45 pm CET
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

wilco737

Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:04 pm

hi guys,

yeah today in Frankfurt, Germany vs. Australia! I live in Frankfurt and it is chaotic!  Big grin

I will stay at home and wont watch it  Wink

Have fun guys...

WILCO737
 airplane 

AM744

Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:11 pm

Hmmmm..... Let's see there are at least two non-champions on that list. Well, Germany is the host nation, so there goes one, but why are Argentina AND Brazil present. Anybody knows?

Sabena332

Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:48 pm

YES!!! I am looking forward to this tournament, it is more than welcome during the summer break of the German league.

My predictions for tonight:

• Argentina beats Tunisia by 3:0

• Germany beats Australia by 2:1

• Patrick
    NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

[email protected]

Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:21 am

Thankfully I can see these matches in Norway.  Smile Nothing wrong with a little build up to next summers biggest event. Hehe. Hope to see Argentina vs Brazil in the final.  Smile

[email protected]
    "If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

fraT

Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:26 am

Quoting AM744 (Reply 2):
    Hmmmm..... Let's see there are at least two non-champions on that list. Well, Germany is the host nation, so there goes one, but why are Argentina AND Brazil present. Anybody knows?

I guess Brazil is here as World Cup Winner and Germany as the host.

Quoting WILCO737 (Reply 1):
    I live in Frankfurt and it is chaotic

I don't see any chaos. What are you referring to?

DeltaWings

Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:14 am

The match Argentina- Tunisia looks good so far

Tunisia just missed the penalty shot, lol

[Edited 2005-06-15 18:18:46]
    Homer: Marge, it takes two to lie. One to lie and one to listen.

Derico

Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:33 am

To be candid, the Libertadores Cup is what is going on in Argentina (and South America). The Confederations cup has gotten very sparse coverage so far...
    My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down

[email protected]

Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:17 pm

Germany vs Australia was good in the first half, but kinda boring in the 2nd. Plenty goals though thankfully.  Smile

[email protected]
    "If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

rootsair
    Topic Author

Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:01 pm

Quoting Derico (Reply 7):
    To be candid, the Libertadores Cup is what is going on in Argentina (and South America). The Confederations cup has gotten very sparse coverage so far...

Heard there was a big scandal over the Chivas- Boca game.... but don't worry, River is going to win it for Argentina !
    A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

erikwilliam

Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:21 am

Quoting Derico (Reply 7):

pretty much as here.

Brasil is on tonight.....besides that, only highlights from the other games.
    Dida, Cafu, Lucio, Roque Junior, Roberto Carlo, Emerson, Ze Roberto, Ronaldinho, Kaka, Adriano, Robinho, Ronaldo

SXFAN

Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:22 am

Guys Here in Greece we see two games every day!!!!!
    BTW We will watch Brazil tonight but don't tell it to the Brazilians  

[Edited 2005-06-16 19:24:08]

Banco

Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:33 am

A question for the Germans (and actually a genuine one, rather than taking the piss  Wink Sad

I notice that your defence is very young, and that they do seem to be conceding quite a few goals. Didn't they also let in a couple against Russia recently? Is that a concern, or does it generally look quite sound and these scores are a bit of an aberration?
    She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

DAL767400ER

Fri Jun 17, 2005 5:34 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 12):
    I notice that your defence is very young, and that they do seem to be conceding quite a few goals. Didn't they also let in a couple against Russia recently? Is that a concern, or does it generally look quite sound and these scores are a bit of an aberration?

Yup, we caught the 2:2 in the 93rd minute against Russia, and our defence is indeed very young, and abit inexperienced. Mertesacker, while being the youngest, is already the best there. Klinsmann is keeping those young players on the starting team, to help them get practice and gain experience. It might mean a few more goals against us, but as long as our offence is so good (Schweini und Poldi Big grin ), it's no problem against the weaker teams like Australia and Tunesia, but against Argentina, we're screwed.
    Not to forget, our defense has been particularly injury plaged, with Lahm being severly injured twice within the last year, and Metzelder tearing the same muscle in his knee twice (don't remember the name, torn ACL IIRC) and therefore not being able to play in 2 years. With these two now injured people back and fit, in combination with Mertesacker, we would already have a pretty good defense.

ps: Brazil is whiping the floor with Greece, 3:0 (Adriano, Robinho, Juninho).

rg828

Fri Jun 17, 2005 5:51 am

Quoting SXFAN (Reply 11):
    BTW We will watch Brazil tonight but don't tell it to the Brazilians

Sorry, we were all wide awake!

Nice victory for Brazil, though Greece as the Eurpoean champions could have been a lot more agressive in my opinion.

Quoting AM744 (Reply 2):

Argentina is participating since they got 2nd place in the Copa America, won by Brazil.

Man, I truly hope we're prepared for another faceoff with Argentina.

They creamed us the last time we played.
    I dont know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone

[email protected]

Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:06 am

Fantastic goal by Adriano. And Juninho's free kick wasn't all that bad either. Good game.

When is the next match in the Cup?

[email protected]

JUANR

Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:58 am

Quoting AM744 (Reply 2):
    but why are Argentina AND Brazil present.

Brazil is not only the world cup champions but also the South American champions. Copa America was played last june in Peru and they won the final against Argentina.

Argentina is in the tournament because Brazil has the right to play in the Cup for being World Champions and South American Champions, given that Brazil won the two tournaments and Germany was the runner up of the World Cup and is the host nation, Argentina as the runner up of the Copa America is playing this year.

Juan
    SKBO
    Bogotá: 2600 Metros Más Cerca De Las Estrellas; Vamos por los XVII Juegos Nacionales!!!!!!!!!

iakobos

RE: The Official Fifa Confederations Cup Thread

Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:20 am

Quoting RG828 (Reply 14):
    though Greece as the Eurpoean champions could have been a lot more agressive in my opinion.

The Greek team is very aggressive (you meant offensive, yes ?)... in the third half.  Wink
    Still seriously, defense and counter-attack is the only tactic they can use with some chances of success, as has been proven in Portugal.

AR1300

Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:20 am

Quoting RG828 (Reply 14):
    Argentina is participating since they got 2nd place in the Copa America, won by Brazil.

...''given'' to Brazil.We like too make you feel happy every once in a while.Otherwise we will only have England to tease.

Mike
    You are now free to move about the cabin

Derico

Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:27 am

Quoting AR1300 (Reply 18):
    ...''given'' to Brazil.We like too make you feel happy every once in a while.Otherwise we will only have England to tease.

Yes, given by the stupid tactic of turning yellow the last 5 minutes of that game after Argentina went up 2:1, allowing Brazil to do as they pleased. There was no need for that as the entire game Argentina outplayed Brazil in ball handling and passing. In the end it was a bit of luck that Brazil scored in the last 10 seconds, but they won the game fair and square I said it then as now those last 10 seconds ARE part of the game.

Just like some Brazilians in another forum were blaming Brazil's loss last week on the early goal 3 minutes into the game, which according to them 'scared' Brazil into playing with fear, which precipitated that 3:0 first half. Well, that goal at minute number 3 is just as legitimate as one in minute 25, all part of regulation!
    My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down

AM744

Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:34 pm

Mexico came back for a 2-1 victory over Japan. Bring on Brazil Big grin

rootsair
    Topic Author

Sun Jun 19, 2005 6:24 pm

Germany-Tunisia 3-0

Argentina-Australia 4-2

rg828

Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:48 am

Mexico 1X0 Brazil

We're pathetic!
    I dont know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone

DAL767400ER

Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:05 am

At least you're not Greece. 0:1 against Japan. So much for "Rehakles".

SFOMEX

Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:16 am

Quoting RG828 (Reply 22):
    Mexico 1X0 Brazil

Talking about a great father's day present. Big grin
    The only thing worst than the GOP is the Democratic Party, think about it!

AM744

Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:27 pm

Mexico 1X0 Brazil

Sweeeeeeeeeeet

TheRedBaron

Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:34 pm

OMG the world is going to end.....Mexico is doing great in the confederaciones and the Libertadores CUPS....

Congrats, great results now...please dont let us down with the rest of the turnament
    The best seat in a Plane is the Jumpseat.

ghost77

Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:03 pm

Mexico 1X0 Brazil

Aaaaaaall right!

Quoting Theredbaron (Reply 26):
    OMG the world is going to end.....Mexico is doing great in the confederaciones and the Libertadores CUPS....

Yeap, we are doing great but I think the day Mexico wins a W.C. that's the day everything will end! Add to that the day we see our first B747!

Ricardo APM

MD11junkie

Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:33 pm

Quoting DAL767400ER (Reply 23):
    At least you're not Greece. 0:1 against Japan. So much for "Rehakles".

This only shows that they didn't deserve the Euro Cup, and they played that shitty defensive tactic of building a brick wall in the goal...

Being a portuguese descendant, I can only hope that Greece loses here. I'm sorry to all Greek A.nutters - but you can't believe you won the Euro cup because of one or two great players you have.

Cheers! wave 
    Gastón - The MD-11 Junkie
    There is no such thing as Boeing vs Airbus as the queen of the skies has three engines, winglets and the sweetest nose!

rootsair
    Topic Author

Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:48 pm

Quoting MD11junkie (Reply 28):

Being a portuguese descendant, I can only hope that Greece loses here. I'm sorry to all Greek A.nutters - but you can't believe you won the Euro cup because of one or two great players you have.

well at least they won it and managed to win it !

Sabena332

Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:28 am

Germany vs. Argentinia begins in one hour, somehow I have the feeling that Argentinia will win.

Patrick
    NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

aviationmaster

Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:36 am

"Germany vs. Argentinia begins in one hour, somehow I have the feeling that Argentinia will win."

You're not alone.  Wink

Germany has to do something about that defence, if not Argentina might well be able to score a goal or two...

AM744

Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:54 pm

Mexico-Argentina. Make your bets. Of course I'd like to see Mexico win, but it will be hard as hell. Anyway it's nice to see Brazil, Argentina and Mexico in the semifinals.

Sabena332

Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:57 pm

Damn, Germany has to play against Brazil. This will be hard but a victory is not impossible, I was actually impressed by the last thee games.

Patrick

DAL767400ER

Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:00 pm

Was a great game, 2-2 against Argentina. Now on saturday, it's Germany:Brazil. Time to kick Ronaldinho's exhausted a$$  devil  box .

rg828

Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:44 pm

Quoting DAL767400ER (Reply 34):
    Now on saturday, it's Germany:Brazil. Time to kick Ronaldinho's exhausted a$$

Your chances are pretty good!

I dont understand what the hell is wrong our squad. Great talent squandering goals. Just amazing how they manage to miss shots from 10 yards or less.

And that lame defense!

Now, if Robinho would stop showing-off and play maturely....

UTA_flyinghigh

Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:01 pm

Where the rhaa are France and Eire ?

UTA  checkeredflag 
    Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

Sabena332

Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:13 am

As I already thought before, Brazil vs. Argentina in the final, Germany vs. Mexico on the "little" final.

The Brazil vs. Germany game yesterday was actually very nice (at least what I saw from it, I didn't see the entire game because I was on a birthday party) but the Argentina vs. Mexico game today was quite boring, only the extra time and the penalty shoot-out was nice to watch.

Patrick