Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

rsmith6621a
Topic Author

So You Dont Think That The Draft Is A Possibility?

Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:19 am

"WASHINGTON — The Defense Department yesterday began working with a private marketing firm to create a database of all U.S. college students as well as high-school students between ages 16 and 18, to help the military identify potential recruits in a time of dwindling enlistment.
The program is provoking a furor among privacy advocates. The new database will include an array of personal information including birth dates, Social Security numbers, e-mail addresses, grade-point averages, ethnicity and what subjects the students are studying".

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...ionworld/2002345284_privacy23.html

"array of personal information including birth dates, Social Security numbers, e-mail addresses, grade-point averages, ethnicity "

What the Hell do they need this kind of info for......if you think this is just the DOD just collecting info for recruitment I think it is time you wake up......I smell a draft with recruitment numbers down or some sort of privatization of the military......ooooppps I just remembered somthing.....our beloved President said there would be no draft and we certianly can trust him.....CANT WE???
Did You Ever Think Freedom Could Be this Bad

alberchico

RE: So You Dont Think That The Draft Is A Possibility?

Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:26 am

President Bush promised not to draft people and he has NEVER renegated on a promise.
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

TedTAce

Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:26 am

Quoting Rsmith6621a (Thread starter):
What the Hell do they need this kind of info for......if you think this is just the DOD just collecting info for recruitment I think it is time you wake up......I smell a draft with recruitment numbers down or some sort of privatization of the military......ooooppps I just remembered somthing.....our beloved President said there would be no draft and we certianly can trust him.....CANT WE???

Dude you have LOST IT.
Do you not forget that we effectively have to send them this information once we turn 18!?!?!
This space intentionally left blank

L-188

Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:30 am

And about 3/4's of that list has been required on selective service cards for DECADES!

So the DOD has decided to get that data off some 1970's COBOL running mainframe and put it on a modern SQL database.....woopie.

[Edited 2005-06-24 03:32:01]
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

rsmith6621a
Topic Author

Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:31 am

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 2):
Do you not forget that we effectively have to send them this information once we turn 18!?!?!

Im sorry Ted but it has been more than a few years since I had to do that.....so I guess this administration has succeeded in taking away an opportunity for us to volunteer that info as well......

How much more liberty do they want......
Did You Ever Think Freedom Could Be this Bad

Pendrilsaint

Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:43 am

I don't think this is as huge as you are making it out to be. The government has asked for GPA's before and always will...Thank god some schools refuse to give them out! Like for instance it's Columbia U's policy to never turn over student rank or GPA to the government after what happened during Vietnam.

Besides, if there were a draft again in the United States, I think you would find a massive public outcry against it.

ANCFlyer

Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:49 am

More BULLSHIT from RSmith. Been sending that data in for years. Selective Service registration already requires most of it . . .

Another lame, sorry, half-witted attempt by the disgruntled UA employee in Seattle . . .

Get over it Smitty . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

aa61hvy

Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:51 am

'So you don't think that the draft is a possibility?'

No, no I don't.
Go big or go home

TedTAce

Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:53 am

Quoting Alberchico (Reply 1):
President Bush promised not to draft people and he has NEVER renegated on a promise.

What does "renegated" mean?

Quoting Rsmith6621a (Reply 4):
How much more liberty do they want......

They want to shove a chip up our butts, lobotomize us, make us do all the work, and get no pay at all.

UAL747

Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:54 am

Dude, I sent this stuff in when I turned 18, when Clinton was in office. It is a requirement. At least we are not required to serve in peacetime, and I've never been required to serve during war time.

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

DLKAPA

Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:04 am

The new database will include an array of personal information including birth dates, Social Security numbers, e-mail addresses, grade-point averages, ethnicity and what subjects the students are studying".

I'd bet they disregard anything above a 3.0 GPA.

Just look at how many kids haven't been left behind.

Im sorry Ted but it has been more than a few years since I had to do that.....so I guess this administration has succeeded in taking away an opportunity for us to volunteer that info as well......

Actually you don't volunteer your info anymore. When I turned 18, they just mailed me the card with all my info already on it. I think I just threw it away but I might still have it somewhere.
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

KFLLCFII

Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:14 am

The idea of the draft was over when the house voted against it 402-2 back on October 5th. Additionally, this bill and a similar bill were not intruduced by Republicans, but by two Democrats! (Charles B. Rangel, D-NY, and Ernest "Fritz" Hollings, D-SC). It's not Republicans who were pushing for the draft, but Democrats! And the most absurd part? Rangel voted against his own bill! Can you say hy-po-crite?

People who still bring up the draft are only out to cause commotion and to instill fear among the unsuspecting public against the Republican Party. The draft issue is dead. If another DEMOCRAT wants to introduce another draft bill just to stir the pot again, fine. It will be blown out of the water faster than he can say "hypocrite".
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

CaptOveur

Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:18 am

So is this the Monthly daft (draft) thread from Rsmith for June or July? I am just not sure how to score this one on the offical score sheet.

Seriously Rsmith, you should go out and enlist so you get to pick what you do.. You wouldn't want to get drafted for Dubyas oil war. Maybe we can even get the army to reactivate ANCFlyer so he can be your Drill Sergeant.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

DLKAPA

RE: So You Dont Think That The Draft Is A Possibil

Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:21 am

Quoting KFLLCFII (Reply 11):
And the most absurd part? Rangel voted against his own bill! Can you say hy-po-crite?

Actually no. When a bill is written, before it goes for final approval ammendments can be made, some of which having absolutely no bearing on the original bill, for example a bill to put a federal healthcare tax on alcohol could also include an amendment for road funding in Arkansas. Sometimes you have to kill a bill that you introduced because there were so many other amendments that you didn't approve.

Additionally, it's possible that congress never wanted a draft in the first place, so they introduced a bill that would instate the draft only so they could kill it just to make themselves look good, and to reassure the public that there won't be a draft.
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

TedTAce

Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:22 am

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 12):
reactivate ANCFlyer so he can be your Drill Sergeant.

Considering my homo sympathetic views, this just brought the WRONG image to my head EWWWWWWWW

b757300

Seems like the only people who keep bringing up the idea of a draft are Democrats and one idiot RINO (UpChuck Hagel).
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

Usairwys757

Inactive.....

Pendrilsaint

Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:29 am

haha...I have nightmares about ANC Flyer being my drill sergeant.

ANCFlyer

Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:42 am

Maybe we can even get the army to reactivate ANCFlyer so he can be your Drill Sergeant.

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 14):
Considering my homo sympathetic views, this just brought the WRONG image to my head EWWWWWWWW

Quoting Pendrilsaint (Reply 17):
haha...I have nightmares about ANC Flyer being my drill sergeant.

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

alberchico

Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:44 am

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 8):

next time look it up yourself........

this is from an online dictionary
Definition of renegade (noun)
person who abandons something, as a religion, cause or movement; traitor
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

Pendrilsaint

Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:48 am

haha, it goes along with that nightmare I have of you pulling me over in Alaska, ANC Flyer. Just one of those..."oh...s***" moments. ; )

KFLLCFII

Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:50 am

Quoting DLKAPA (Reply 13):
Actually no. When a bill is written, before it goes for final approval ammendments can be made, some of which having absolutely no bearing on the original bill

I understand how pork-barrel politics works. However, this wasn't just some appropriations bill with a last-minute public works amendment. This was a bill to reinstate the draft. 402 representatives didn't vote against this bill just because it had a small string attached, and neither did Rangel. A bill reinstating the draft is a bill reinstating the draft. Period.

Additionally, it's possible that congress never wanted a draft in the first place, so they introduced a bill that would instate the draft only so they could kill it just to make themselves look good, and to reassure the public that there won't be a draft.

It wasn't congress who introduced the bill to shoot it down and make themselves look good, but two Democrats who introduced bills to instill fear and spread rumors among the uninformed masses against the Republican Party. That's pretty obvious!
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

DLKAPA

Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:01 pm

Quoting KFLLCFII (Reply 21):
It wasn't congress who introduced the bill to shoot it down and make themselves look good, but two Democrats who introduced bills to instill fear and spread rumors among the uninformed masses against the Republican Party. That's pretty obvious!

Obvious only to the people who want it to be.

ANCFlyer

Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:04 pm

Quoting Pendrilsaint (Reply 20):
haha, it goes along with that nightmare I have of you pulling me over in Alaska, ANC Flyer. Just one of those..."oh...s***" moments. ; )

Not to worry, I won't be wearing mirrored sun glasses and won't utter the infamous "You ain't from 'round here are ya, Boy?"

Quoting KFLLCFII (Reply 21):
It wasn't congress who introduced the bill to shoot it down and make themselves look good, but two Democrats who introduced bills to instill fear and spread rumors among the uninformed masses against the Republican Party.

Spot on KFLLCFII . . . this was mentioned months ago in a post on this very subject. Simply a scare tactic in the middle of the campaign to bullshit the uninformed voter into thinking the rumors started by the Democrats were true - there would be a draft if Bush was re-elected. Fortunately, the American public is smarter than that . . . proven on November 2.

DLKAPA

Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:16 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 23):
American public is smarter than that . . . proven on November 2.

November 2nd proved absolutely nothing. If it did prove anything, it proved that the american public bought into the Republicans lies more than they did the Democrats lies, because that's all it was, a big bullshit festival.

jfkaua

I think he meant remegaded which is to desert something

TedTAce

Quoting Alberchico (Reply 19):

I did Rocket boy....

You mean the one you are inventing becuase you know you are wrong AGAIN tonight???

From a REAL dictionary:
http://www.webster.com/cgi-bin/dicti...k=Dictionary&va=renegade&x=13&y=15

Quote:

3 entries found for renegade.
To select an entry, click on it.
renegade[1,noun]renegade[2,intransitive verb]renegade[3,adjective]

Main Entry: 1ren·e·gade
Pronunciation: 're-ni-"gAd
Function: noun
Etymology: Spanish renegado, from Medieval Latin renegatus, from past participle of renegare to deny, from Latin re- + negare to deny -- more at NEGATE
1 : a deserter from one faith, cause, or allegiance to another
2 : an individual who rejects lawful or conventional behavior

Now which of these 3 (renegade[1,noun]renegade[2,intransitive verb]renegade[3,adjective]) say "renegaded"???

KFLLCFII

Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:24 pm

Quoting DLKAPA (Reply 22):
Obvious only to the people who want it to be.

Then how the hell would you explain it, because it sure as hell wasn't turned down because of a little pork leaking out the sides...

ANCFlyer

Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:31 pm

Quoting DLKAPA (Reply 24):
because that's all it was, a big bullshit festival

I'm good with that explanation  biggrin .

Hence a desperate need for a strong, nonpartisan third party . . .

Hence the need for Term Limits in the House and Senate . . .

hence the need for eliminating some of the Congressional Perks such as Retirement Plan, Health Care, free Close in Parking at DCA  wink  , etc.

KFLLCFII

Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:34 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 28):
nonpartisan third party

LOL ANC...Sounds like an oxymoron!

MD-90

Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:44 pm

The new database will include an array of personal information including birth dates, Social Security numbers, e-mail addresses, grade-point averages, ethnicity and what subjects the students are studying".

I filled out my card three years ago, and it did not ask for e-mail, GPA, or major.

Of course this is a precursor to the draft! If you're a college student studying medicine or Arabic, you will probably be in danger of being drafted soon. It will be a limited draft, obviously, to minimize how much of the public will be effected by it.

Quoting DLKAPA (Reply 24):
November 2nd proved absolutely nothing. If it did prove anything, it proved that the american public bought into the Republicans lies more than they did the Democrats lies, because that's all it was, a big bullshit festival.

Amen. Plus, Bush's team ran a much better election campaign and did a superior job of bamboozling voters.

By the way, he meant r-e-n-e-g-e-d.

MaverickM11

Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:47 pm

so I guess this administration has succeeded in taking away an opportunity for us to volunteer that info as well......

Are you DC10GUY?
I don't take responsibility at all

sprout5199

Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:50 pm

You know its funny how some people want to keep recruiters out of school but then scream if the word "draft"is even mentioned. Guess we should just do away with our military altogether.

Quoting DLKAPA (Reply 10):
I think I just threw it away but I might still have it somewhere

Actually no. When a bill is written, before it goes for final approval ammendments can be made, some of which having absolutely no bearing on the original bill, for example a bill to put a federal healthcare tax on alcohol could also include an amendment for road funding in Arkansas. Sometimes you have to kill a bill that you introduced because there were so many other amendments that you didn't approve.

for someone who seems to know about the workings of congress, I guess you know that by not filling out your selective service card you will be denied for any govt. loans, grants and so on.

As much as a Navy vet would hate to admit, ANCFlyer would be a pretty good drill instructor. I would be PROUD to have been trained by him.(he's still a bullet stop in my opinion)

Dan in Jupiter

MaverickM11

Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:53 pm

our beloved President said there would be no draft and we certianly can trust him.....

AND your beloved Democrats have introduced the legislation to bring about a draft, dove.
I don't take responsibility at all

KFLLCFII

Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:03 pm

DROP AND GIVE ME 20, YOU WORTHLESS PIECE OF DOG SH!T!!! I'LL RIP YOUR HEAD OFF AND SH!T DOWN YOUR THROAT!!!

Signed,

ANCflyer

MD-90

Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:06 pm

Quoting Sprout5199 (Reply 32):
Guess we should just do away with our military altogether.

How about we use the Department of DEFENSE for what it's actually supposed to do, protect the United States? Instead it's used as a blunt baseball bat, and "Uncle Sam" is astride the world, whacking people left and right wherever the president and his toadies in Congress please.

They don't hate us because we're so (not) free, or because we have "democracy." They despise us because we interfere with other nations, kill people, and muck about in affairs that we have no business being involved in.

F9Widebody

Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:09 pm

True, but in this case, there were NO ammendments. Rangel voted no on an unammended bill.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquer...8:HR00163:@@@L&summ2=m&#amendments

The bizarre thing is that this bill was introduced in the beginning of 2003 and was killed in October of 2004 after going through only one committee.

The idea of the draft was over when the house voted against it 402-2 back on October 5th. Additionally, this bill and a similar bill were not intruduced by Republicans, but by two Democrats! (Charles B. Rangel, D-NY, and Ernest "Fritz" Hollings, D-SC). It's not Republicans who were pushing for the draft, but Democrats! And the most absurd part?

I don't think there will be a draft either, but this bill was not really about a normal draft, the main issues presented in this bill were: A) Everyone would serve in the military, in a situation similar to Israel, B) Everyone included Men AND Women. With those radical segments, it is no wonder the bill did not pass. This bill was never supposed to pass, Rangel just put it up to send a message, not to get it passed. Its death by no means signals the end of the possibility of a draft.

Regards
YES URLS in signature!!!

KFLLCFII

Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:24 pm

Quoting F9Widebody (Reply 36):
I don't think there will be a draft either, but this bill was not really about a normal draft, the main issues presented in this bill were: A) Everyone would serve in the military, in a situation similar to Israel, B) Everyone included Men AND Women.

Of course. If approved, it would not have played out like the conventional draft lottery system of the Vietnam era; Nevertheless, it still held the main point that caught everyones attention: Government Servitude.

Quoting F9Widebody (Reply 36):
With those radical segments, it is no wonder the bill did not pass.

True, but if these stipulations had not existed on the bill, and instead would have reinstated the draft as we all know it, would you have expected the results to be any different? I think not.

DLKAPA

RE: So You Dont Think That The Draft Is A Possibil

Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:25 pm

Quoting Sprout5199 (Reply 32):
for someone who seems to know about the workings of congress, I guess you know that by not filling out your selective service card you will be denied for any govt. loans, grants and so on.

Actually if I remember correctly the card I got said it already had my information and there was no need to send anything in.

sprout5199

Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:51 pm

Quoting MD-90 (Reply 35):
because we have "democracy

No, we have a republic form of government.

They (just who is "they"?) despise us because we accept other religions besides our own, are not afraid to admit our faults, see women as equals, help when we can. the list goes on and on.
If you think about it every country wants to be like us or blames their problems on us. Just look at the EU. After 1000 years of separate countries look what they are doing. In a broad sense they are trying to make a USE(United States of Europe). Where do you think they got the idea? Makes the U.S. founding fathers so much more smarter than we thought. What they thought up really works. Give it a few years and the rest of the world will see that also. (then we will have really cool stuff like phasers and lightspeed ships.) sometimes I get too serious and have to sit back and laugh at myself, If only everyone would do that also.

Dan in Jupiter

sprout5199

Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:58 pm

Quoting DLKAPA (Reply 38):
Actually if I remember correctly the card I got said it already had my information and there was no need to send anything in.

I believe that you have to acknowledge that you got it. just covers their ass when they say no to loans and such.

Dan in Jupiter

DLKAPA

Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:54 pm

Quoting Sprout5199 (Reply 40):

I believe that you have to acknowledge that you got it. just covers their ass when they say no to loans and such.

Oh yeah pretty sure I did that, it was like this thing you just tore off and put back in the mailbox or something like that I think.

Greyhound

Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:02 am

Do I need to tell you the story about the little engine that could again? Then you get out there and you toot that horn boy.

signed,

ANCFlyer
29th, Let's Go!

MD-90

Sat Jun 25, 2005 5:16 am

Quoting Sprout5199 (Reply 39):
They (just who is "they"?) despise us because we accept other religions besides our own, are not afraid to admit our faults, see women as equals, help when we can. the list goes on and on.

They despise us because we occupy their nations, build military base willy nilly all over the Middle East, oppress their citizens (Iraq embargo, anyone?), and outright kill far too many people in that region of the world (forget about the two stupid, needless wars).

"They" probably don't like MTV any more than I do, but that's hardly why 9/11 occured.

Quoting Sprout5199 (Reply 39):
No, we have a republic form of government.

Someone listening to one of Bush the Younger's speeches probably wouldn't realize that, considering that he mentions democracy at least 10 times a speech, and never mentions the fact that we are a republic (and ought to go back to senators being appointed by the states!)

texan

Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:34 am

The idea of the draft was over when the house voted against it 402-2 back on October 5th. Additionally, this bill and a similar bill were not intruduced by Republicans, but by two Democrats! (Charles B. Rangel, D-NY, and Ernest "Fritz" Hollings, D-SC). It's not Republicans who were pushing for the draft, but Democrats! And the most absurd part? Rangel voted against his own bill! Can you say hy-po-crite?

Just to clear up a couple of things: the Democrats were not pushing for the draft, but were trying to bring the matter to the forefront to gauge reaction. Rangel does not believe in reinstating the draft and therefore voted against it. This type of action happens fairly often in both the US Congress and in state Congresses: to bring an issue to the forefront and attempt to use their votes as strong arguments against their reelection or to show how idiotic some issues are, politicians will bring up bills that they do not support and know have no chance of passing. A Republican recently did the same thing in the Maine State House on the gay marriage issue: he brought up a bill to legalize gay marriage in Maine just to be able to vote against it and demonize opponents. I am not disagreeing with you that this is an idiotic and lowbrow way to conduct business, but it is not hypocritical for either party to do it.

It is true President Bush promised not to draft people, and I believe it is his intention not to have a draft. But to say he has never reneged on a promise (dictionary.com does not list renegated as a real word, neither does Webster's) is completely idiotic. Bush has reneged on promises. Clinton reneged on promises. All politicians (Republican, Democrat, and other) and almost all businessmen renege on promises and deals. It is the nature of their trade. If anyone tells you differently they are either lying or trying to sell you something.

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

CORULEZ05

Sun Jun 26, 2005 5:00 am

Maybe we can even get the army to reactivate ANCFlyer so he can be your Drill Sergeant.

..funny you have said that to me also...perhaps that's what YOU want....as in some sort of "fantasy" of yours...hehe

As for the draft, we all have to register with the Selective Service but I don't think that is really the sign of a draft. Although, it could happen and since they have all of our info...well we're out of luck. However, the government has all of our info...if it got to the point of drafting, they would take your a$$ even if you weren't registered...unless you are from a wealthy family.

[Edited 2005-06-25 22:04:03]
Fly jetBlue today!!!!!!!

srbmod

Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:14 pm

So is this the Monthly daft (draft) thread from Rsmith for June or July? I am just not sure how to score this one on the offical score sheet.

Actually, this is probably his daily daft thread. Someone needs to put him in the cooler for about 60-90 days, he makes MD-90 look somewhat sane.......

If they reinstate the draft, I could care less because they'd want the 18-25 year olds. While I don't like the idea of it returning in any shape or form, it personally would not affect me in any way at all.

The word is actually reneged, and is derived from the word renegade.

MD11Engineer

Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:17 pm

Concerning Germany, though after the fall of the wall I didn't even receive the orders to go for the medical assessment, I know that in case of war, I'll still be elegible for draft until I'm older than 45.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

DC10GUY

Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:04 pm

Anyone dumb enough to join has no sympathy from me ...
Next time try the old "dirty Sanchez" She'll love it !!!

aerobalance

Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:47 pm

Rsmith,

God save the Queen.

There's hidden mean in that, now find it!
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."