Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Fokker Lover

RE: Countdown To Battlestar Galactica!

Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:01 am

Oh Lumberton, you really should have held it for a couple more minutes.

I've learned that this show really hits big during the last 2 minutes of every episode, and they are very generous on the next weeks previews.

Yes, that is the Pegasus. Admiral Kane is an extremely hot chick that out ranks Adama. It also looks like Helo and the Chief are involved in some kind of fight where a Pegasus crew member gets killed. Remember the original series where Commander Kane off loads everything to the Galactica (including his daughter), then flies into a suicide mission? I wonder how close they will stick to the story line. At the very least this will help with getting new pilots and vipers, and parts.
10,000 years ago we would have eaten you. Today, we drag you along and allow you to pollute the gene pool.

ANCFlyer
Topic Author

Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:08 pm

Quoting Fokker Lover (Reply 94):
Well, ANCFlyer must be pulling some double shifts or on vacation. If he was near a computer this would have been bumpd by now.

Finshing trip actually . . . back two days early as my g/f has to fly outta town tomorrow morning, rather than Thu.

I haven't seen the episode yet - but I have a copy . . . I'm going to watch it shortly.

Lt. Gaita.

no 

Mrs. Tigh.

scratchchin  no 

Baltar.

no 

Quoting SATL382G (Reply 97):
Next week, Pegasus!

checkmark 

Only problem then will be we'll have the break until the second half of the season . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

SATL382G

Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:21 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 101):
Only problem then will be we'll have the break until the second half of the season . .

Sci Fi is calling next weeks ep the "season finale"....

So I'm thinking two parter, with the Pegasus storyline, and a cliffhanger in between.

http://www.scifi.com/battlestar/

Ok, Ok, so now they're calling it the "Summer Finale"... I could've sworn... still my bet is on two parter with cliffhanger....

Note: the ep runs over it's normal hour by two minutes!! Thanks for the headsup Sci Fi....
"There’s nothing quite as exhilarating as being shot at and missed" --Winston Churchill

ANCFlyer
Topic Author

Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:31 pm

Quoting SATL382G (Reply 102):
Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 101):
Only problem then will be we'll have the break until the second half of the season . .

Sci Fi is calling next weeks ep the "season finale"....

So I'm thinking two parter, with the Pegasus storyline, and a cliffhanger in between

Yup, someone pointed that out earlier in this thread . . .
http://www.gateworld.net/galactica/n...6/galacticadiscoverssistersh.shtml
And your link confirms it too.

I hate it when they do that . . .  irked   silly 

I did see previews for the episode . . . Admiral Caine is quite the attractive Admiral! Ought to be a great episode . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

SATL382G

Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:03 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 103):
http://www.gateworld.net/galactica/n...6/galacticadiscoverssistersh.shtml

I shouldn't have clicked your link..... "Hoshi"? get thee back to Enterprise girl and put the pedal to the metal.....
"There’s nothing quite as exhilarating as being shot at and missed" --Winston Churchill

ANCFlyer
Topic Author

Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:11 am

And according to that link, there's a BIGGER Cylon ship out there - bigger than a BaseStar . . . WTF? Visions of a "Death Star".

ANCFlyer
Topic Author

Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:37 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 103):
Admiral Caine is quite the attractive Admiral! Ought to be a great episode . . .

I didn't see this last night - or it didn't click last night - but Admiral Cain is actress Michelle Forbes . . . . lately of the U.S.S. Enterprise, NCC-1701D, Ensign Roe Laren . . . .

ANCFlyer
Topic Author

Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:22 pm

Season 1 Episodes on DVD were released yesterday . . .

Of course I bought it. . . $42US at Best Buy (I hate that frackin' store).  biggrin 

Part of the Special and/or Bonus Features are deleted scenes. There are some good ones, that would have added to the episodes . . . if anyone gets a chance, have a look.

SATL382G

Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:15 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 107):
Season 1 Episodes on DVD were released yesterday . . .

Season 1 has been out at Best Buy exclusively since July. The release this month was the wide release to all retail outlets. We even discussed it in this thread - replies 51 & 52...  Smile

I didn't see much in the way of surprise in the Pegasus ep, except what Thorn was planning to do to Boomer. As per what seems to be their strategy the Cylons have us fighting amongst ourselves, again.

Baltars Six is back in this ep and seems genuinely shocked at what has happened to her counterpart on the Pegasus.

This ep would have been more interesting if Sci Fi hadn't given so much of it away in the ads. Oh Well. BTW: Sci Fi was calling it the Season Finale again tonight...

Now we wait for January.....

ANCFlyer
Topic Author

Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:21 pm

Quoting SATL382G (Reply 108):
Season 1 has been out at Best Buy exclusively since July. The release this month was the wide release to all retail outlets. We even discussed it in this thread - replies 51 & 52...

Dangit . . . wouldn't have mattered, I was working from 6 June to 30 July. But I got it now.

Spoiler Alert!

I haven't seen the episode yet . . . it doesn't aire here until 9pm Alaska Time.  banghead 

SO, it is a Number 6 on Pegasus huh . . . I'm an hour and 40 minutes away . . . and this should be it until January . . . bastards.

I'll log back in after the episode . . .

ANCFlyer
Topic Author

Sat Sep 24, 2005 2:39 pm

Why is it, generally, when a Flag Officer comes in to the picture they start screwing with things? Have they forgotten what team work and comraderie is all about?

I find it distressing Adm. Caine can pop aboard, read some log, and all the sudden decide Galactica's a mess and begin cross leveling crew.

That shows a narrow minded, even singularly arrogant leadership style - reminds me of Dumsfeld. I already don't like Caine . . .

That pompous "welcome aboard" Galactica is about all I can stand.

And the apparent and obviously condoned and well advertised maltreatment of prisoners! WTF is that? Seems like all is not peachy on Pegasus.

So, here's my prediction: Next January . . . the Stealth Vipe Starbuck is out and about in will play a role in this Galactica/Pegasus pissing contest . . . and bring back the pictures they need to kill off this mega-whatever-it-is-cylon-ship.

CPT Adama will grow some balls and either pop the shit out of that arrogant ass CAG he's now working for and take control of that Raptor - and also assist this operation - or just put the bastard out an airlock.

The Admiral - well, I'm not sure about her - I know this already . . . initial impressions are lasting impressions . . . I wouldn't want to be her Chief of the Boat. She's over the line - already.

There are some vewwwwy stwange thangs ocurring aboard Pegasus that will come to light . . . not sure what . . . but there nonetheless . . . and Adama will find out about it and expose it to the Admiral and she will do something bizarre (a la Caine in the original . . . ***) and that will be that with Pegasus.

*** They will fly between the two Base Ships guard the mega-whatever-it-is-cylon-ship taking out those ships and killing the mega-whatever-it-is-cylon-ship and disappearing in the blast or jumping to where ever.

Gawddamned arrogant ass Flag Officers. There even worse than us arrogant as Commander Sergeant's Major . . . .

This episode has really pissed me off.  mad  grumpy 

This should prove to be interesting - in January   

[Edited 2005-09-24 08:13:09]

nonrevman

Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:13 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 110):
So, here's my prediction: Next January . . . the Stealth Vipe Starbuck is out and about in will play a role in this Galactica/Pegasus pissing contest . . . and bring back the pictures they need to kill off this mega-whatever-it-is-cylon-ship.

That is about what I am figuring as well. We know they are not going to just sit there and destroy each other. So, it is either this or the cylons decide to show up at that moment and they all realize that they have a common problem.

Fokker Lover

Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:56 pm

When Admiral Caine arrived on the Galactica, she had 2 marine guards with her. I believe that those are her own personal guards that are with her at all times. It shows that she doesn't trust her own crew, and that she rules through fear and intimidation. I was waiting for Darth Vader music to start playing.
Was the Pegasus alone, or were there support ships also?
We see that an entire Cylon fleet is quietly following the Galactica. They're just waiting for the Galactica to lead them to Earth.

And the big break through is....... Baltar admits his love for #6. As do Helo, and the chief for Boomer. In an entirely different way though. Which brings us to an ignored subject of this episode. Where is Boomer's baby, and does the admiral know about it????????
10,000 years ago we would have eaten you. Today, we drag you along and allow you to pollute the gene pool.

SATL382G

Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:02 am

Quoting Nonrevman (Reply 111):
That is about what I am figuring as well. We know they are not going to just sit there and destroy each other. So, it is either this or the cylons decide to show up at that moment and they all realize that they have a common problem.

Agreed. There will be a galvanising moment (cylon sneak attack maybe) where the Colonial ships realize they need each other. Starbuck & the stealth fighter on one hand & Pegasus and her firepower on the other. Just remember Kahns lesson to Kirk -- "No need to raise the shields, we are all just one big happy fleet!"

Quoting Fokker Lover (Reply 112):
When Admiral Caine arrived on the Galactica, she had 2 marine guards with her. I believe that those are her own personal guards that are with her at all times. It shows that she doesn't trust her own crew, and that she rules through fear and intimidation. I was waiting for Darth Vader music to start playing.

Parody Spoiler Alert! The Cylons captured the evil Ens Ro Laren from the Star Trek Mirror universe and used her as the prototype for the Adm. Caine fembot. The Adm Caine fembot fools Laura & Adama for a while but they catch on and destroy her. Except shes a Cylon fembot so the writers can bring her back every so often (probably as Commander of the Cylon fleet) as a foil/counter to Galacticas 2 leader/heros, Laura & Adama. Like all good characters though she has flaws, every so often she blurts out an "Engage!", "Make it so!" or "SHUT UP, Mr Data"! for no apparent reason.  Smile

ANCFlyer
Topic Author

Sun Sep 25, 2005 5:49 am

Quoting SATL382G (Reply 113):
Parody Spoiler Alert! The Cylons captured the evil Ens Ro Laren from the Star Trek Mirror universe and used her as the prototype for the Adm. Caine fembot. The Adm Caine fembot fools Laura & Adama for a while but they catch on and destroy her. Except shes a Cylon fembot so the writers can bring her back every so often (probably as Commander of the Cylon fleet) as a foil/counter to Galacticas 2 leader/heros, Laura & Adama. Like all good characters though she has flaws, every so often she blurts out an "Engage!", "Make it so!" or "SHUT UP, Mr Data"! for no apparent reason.

rotfl 

I'm rewatching the episode right now - as usual, picking for details. The exterior of Pegasus doesn't look too much different, but the CIC certainly does. As does the hanger/flight deck interiors. Obviously redresses of the Galactica sets (new sets for a couple episodes would be $$$ prohibitive).

Quoting Fokker Lover (Reply 112):
When Admiral Caine arrived on the Galactica, she had 2 marine guards with her. I believe that those are her own personal guards that are with her at all times. It shows that she doesn't trust her own crew, and that she rules through fear and intimidation.

Possibilty you're correct. . . however, given that even in today's military a Flag Officer traveling into an unknown will have a security detail, and the fact they on Pegasus also know "the Cylons look like us", it doesn't seem too out of the ordinary that Caine would have Marine Security . . . who knows who amongst the crew might be a Cylon.

Wonder if Cdr Adama will share the Cylon detector? Wonder if Cdr Adama will share photos of known Cylons so Pegasus can check against persons on board? Wonder how Pegasus will perform since it has integrated, networked computers and Type 7 Vipers that are susceptible to Cylon Computer Invasion? With all the pissing and moaning between the two ships, maybe there won't be time for that.

Speaking of pissing and moaning - I'm still convinced there's something amiss aboard Pegasus . . . not that I mind the "good order and discipline of the service" as I lived my life by it . . . but one must also temper that with a sense of humor and a lot of common sense . . . even in combat.

Something just didn't settle well with me about the actions aboard Pegasus. As I mentioned, prisoner abuse for one. Wonder what Cdr Adama would think about that given he has Boomer relaxing on a cot in the brig aboard Galactica and the Number 6 copy on Pegasus is laying strapped, bleeding, beaten and bruised to a steel deck plate?

Hmmmmmm.

January 2006 -  irked  irked  irked 

searpqx

Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:34 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 114):
Something just didn't settle well with me about the actions aboard Pegasus.

I agree - just a gut feel, but along with the comment Tigh makes regarding his converation with his Pegasus counterpart, and the crew's reaction to Caine when she orders the viper launch, I fully expect some sort of minor insurrection or line crossing by some of her crew that will thwart an all out battle, just in time to allow everyone to band together to fight off the Cylons.

'Nother point that had me wondering, with the obvious level of paranoia and no holds barred interogation they have towards the #6 on Pegasus, you would think that they have the brig wired for sound. Which should mean that Baltar in effect just made a confession and it should be on tape somewhere. At some point you know he's going to be exposed - wonder if this is a prelude.

And as far as the break - the only good thing I can think of is that for the next three months I have my Friday nights back, I'm a Stargate fan too, so that's a three hour block of time I get back for awhile.
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

ANCFlyer
Topic Author

Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:42 am

Quoting Searpqx (Reply 115):
Which should mean that Baltar in effect just made a confession and it should be on tape somewhere. At some point you know he's going to be exposed - wonder if this is a prelude.

I rather thought the same thing . . . as soon as he started running his mouth I thought, "Well, that's not the smartest thing to do in a interrogation room" . . . since they are usually wired . . . but then Baltar has appeared to be the sharpest tool in the shed either . . .

I like your theory of an insurrection of sorts on Pegasus that prevents any bloodshed . . . in combination with the Stealth Viper and hoping Capt Adama grows some nutz . . . something will give.

And I fully expect the two Basestars and the mega-ship to pop on in just when things get tense.

ANCFlyer
Topic Author

Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:48 pm

I'm going to ask the mods to lock this one up . . .

We can restart in January . . . .

January -  irked 

Any objections so state . . . I'll give it a day or so.

SATL382G

Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:16 pm

A couple of comments before we get locked....

Quoting Searpqx (Reply 115):
Which should mean that Baltar in effect just made a confession and it should be on tape somewhere. At some point you know he's going to be exposed - wonder if this is a prelude.

Re: Baltars conversations in the brig. Everything he said to Pegasus's Six could easily be interpreted/explained away as an interrogation technique. Sort of a good cop / bad cop technique with Baltar playing the good cop. Further, Caine is expecting something along these lines since Dr. B already has her OK for a "carrot" vs. stick approach. What could get Baltar in a bind is his "one-sided" conversations with Galactica Six in the same location.

Another matter. Why did Tigh misrepresent the shooting incident to Adama? Frisk claimed it was a joke, yet Tigh doesn't mention the joke later when he relates the conversation to Adama. As a result Adama thinks he needs to take immediate action to save Chief and Helo....Methinks this comes back to bite Tigh big time.....

[Edited 2005-09-26 12:23:30]

ANCFlyer
Topic Author

Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:23 am

Quoting SATL382G (Reply 118):
Why did Tigh misrepresent the shooting incident to Adama?

I didn't get that impression . . . I think when we see Adama and Tigh talking we're brought into the scene halfway through the conversation . . . I think Tigh already told Adama the tale and then Adama says, "Sounds like you were both drunk". Tigh: "No question, but he wasn't kidding" . . . sounds to me as though Tigh might already have mentioned that.

Another theory on Helo and Tirol . . . now would be a good time to see if President Rosyln can issue Pardons or actually has any influence. She could, I suppose, summarily dismiss Adm Caine and turn command of the fleet back over to Adama. Of course she won't be she could. She'd have to promote Adama to Admiral, in a grade senior to Caine, but hey - seen stranger things on BSG.

I'm sticking with the theory that bad guys show up and 'save the day' so to speak. Still wondering how many Cylons are aboard Pegasus?

SATL382G

Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:03 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 119):
"No question, but he wasn't kidding"

Sure looked like Frisk was joking to me. I think Tigh, unintentionally, just set Adama up to take a mutineers fall. Or may be something essential got left on the cutting room floor.

Fokker Lover

Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:11 am

I really think Col. Tigh's story is going to be a pivotal point in the future. She's going to try it again with either Adama, Tigh, or Frisk. Only this time Frisk is going to save the day by putting the bullet in Caines head. We all know that the Pegasus is going to end up getting destroyed. We just don't know who will be driving.

ANCFlyer
Topic Author

Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:07 am

Quoting SATL382G (Reply 120):
Or may be something essential got left on the cutting room floor.

Quite possible as there were 4 hours (or so) of deleted scenes rom the first season . . . see them on the DVD. Some of those scenes would have added interesting info to our debates here  Smile

Quoting Fokker Lover (Reply 121):
I really think Col. Tigh's story is going to be a pivotal point in the future.

As do I, but I believe it'll be for the reasons Tigh states . . . I think the good Admiral probably DID execute her XO . . . and that's why the tension on Pegasus is so thick you can cut it with a knife . . . and it will come out in the end . . . and that is when Caine will take Pegasus on the suicide run between the two Basestars (just like the original series) and we don't know what the result of the battle turns out to be because Galactica and the fleet jump away while the Pegasus covers their ass . . .
HMMMM

January 2006 - still  irked 

SATL382G

Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:59 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 122):
I think the good Admiral probably DID execute her XO . . . and that's why the tension on Pegasus is so thick you can cut it with a knife .

And the good officers of the Pegasus let her get away with that? I don't think so unless her personal guard is very loyal. Why else would the XO just hand over his sidearm to get executed with it? He must have known her personal guard would force the issue.

ANCFlyer
Topic Author

Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:10 pm

Quoting SATL382G (Reply 123):
And the good officers of the Pegasus let her get away with that?

Yeah, doesn't make sense does it . . . .

But there is something wrong over there in that CIC . . . . definitely. Just can't pick it out yet.

andersjt

Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:34 am

As far as something amiss - I caught on to something when Cain was telling her story of their "escape" at Scorpion when the Cylons attacked. A "blind jump?" Someone as rigid as she is about military might consider it "chickening out" and might be embarassed to tell Adama. I would think that the guilt from that kind decision set her over the edge. Guilt coming from 2 sources, that she didn't stay and fight (too overwhelmed), or the guilt from leaving so many of her crew behind to die.

If they are going to follow the context of the original Pegasus story line, Starbuck will return with the recon photos from the Blackbird that they need to decide what the new Cylon ship is. Cain will then realize the need to let go of some of her "authority." Cain will send most of her crew to the Galactica and then go on the suicide run to knock out the Base Stars and other ship. This, in her mind, will be her redemption for her actions back at Scorpion. Then the next big story line will be this Galactica's encounter with their own "Count Iblis," with some initial insight on the leadership and evolution of the Cylons, and the discovery of the destroyed Pegasus. Let's just hope we don't have "angels" swoop in to save Apollo.

How the execution of Helo and Chief Tyrol is stopped, I'm not sure. Probably when Starbuck shows up out the blue with the info they need.

I really don't like these dark episodes, but they do point out realities of war time, rather than sugar coat things with fantasy as the original did.

I do think Adama needs to catch on an realize the Cylons want him to lead them to Earth. How convenient they let Boomer destroy the Base Star at Kobol.

As cranky as this last episode left me, not only because I have to wait for the conclusion, and in its darkness, this is still the best TV show on right now.
Oh how I long for the day when the skies were truly Friendly!