Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

EddieGunsmoke
Topic Author

World's Ugliest Language?

Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:03 am

Ok, stupid thread, I know. But what do you think is the ugliest language on the planet? Personally I don't like arabic very much. Not Russian either for that matter. And, sorry neighbours in the west, but finnish sounds just weird.  Silly

goboeing

RE: World's Ugliest Language?

Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:11 am

Ugliest I've seen is German just because, for me having learned English at birth the words just look hard to pronounce. Germans, don't be offended though because I think it is one of the best sounding languages out there.

The most fascinating looking for me has got to be Chinese, Japanese, or Korean. So many symbols -- I'd like to learn one of them eventually but I don't know how long that would take.

Nick

SlamClick

Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:11 am

So do you think the Muppet's "Swedish Chef" is funny?

I think he is hysterical!
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

NoUFO

Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:42 am

I have always considered Finnish and Greenlandic crazy languages. No offence, please.
I support the right to arm bears

flydubai

Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:43 am

Quoting EddieGunsmoke (Thread starter):
Personally I don't like arabic very much

Arabic is a great language and is much easier to learn than English!

flydubai

airbuzz

Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:51 am

Quoting Flydubai (Reply 4):

Really? I didn't know. I'll investigate into this news (for me)

ZakHH

Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:55 am

And, sorry neighbours in the west, but finnish sounds just weird.

Where in Sweden do you live, that Finland is westwards from your place??  eyebrow 

Puzzled
Zak
Tired of a.net? Join a friendly aviation community!

airbuzz

Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:59 am

Quoting ZakHH (Reply 6):
Where in Sweden do you live, that Finland is westwards
from your place?? eyebrow

Maybe he is using the alternative map:

LHMark

Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:01 am

For my ears:

Spanish
Dutch
Hebrew
Cantonese
Vietnamese
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

daedaeg

Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:11 am

I would have to say German, finnish, and dutch. They all sound like they're about to spit or something when speaking.
Everyday you're alive is a good day.

aloges

Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:14 am

Pidgin English spoken by Germans. Nuff said.

Doo yoo vont eh beeah?  cry 
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

airbuzz

Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:17 am

Quoting Aloges (Reply 10):
Pidgin English spoken by Germans. Nuff said.

Doo yoo vont eh beeah?

Are you kidding? Never heard an Italian speaking "English"?

YYZAeroEng

Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:21 am

I'd go with English and German.
To me both sound very harsh.

On another note, I was attending a seminar about Discrimination and Harassment, and in conversation with one of the facilitators they said that to someone that doesn't speak English, it sounds a lot like German.

Rohan
Mind that Bus! What bus? *Splat!*

aloges

Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:26 am

Quoting Airbuzz (Reply 11):
Are you kidding? Never heard an Italian speaking "English"?

Nope, not kidding. I don't think I've heard an Italian speak "English", but a lot of Brazilians... "myoozeekee... eez vehrrree goodee!" Ahhhhrgh!  weeping  It's a real pain in my ears, and I tend to get uncomfortable after a while of listening to these kinds of "English".
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

EddieGunsmoke
Topic Author

Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:48 am

No, my fault. East of course.  Smile

EddieGunsmoke
Topic Author

Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:49 am

Quoting ZakHH (Reply 6):
Where in Sweden do you live, that Finland is westwards from your place??

My mistake, east of course!  Smile

Braybuddy

Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:15 am

Oh God! I'll probably get killed for this: Gaelic. Not because it was forced down our throats as kids -- I just don't like the sound of it.

My favourites would be: Polish (anyone could whisper Polish in my ear all night long and I wouldn't care not understanding a word), Russian (I reckon the Russians have such good lips is because it seems to be pronounced with pursed lips), and German, spoken by men. I reckon some languages are masculine and others feminine -- not all, a lot are neutral -- and German is most definitely a masculine language. It doesn't sound half as nice spoken by a woman. A language that can come up with the staccato of "der Hottentotenpotentatentantenattentater" gets my vote. The reverse is true of French. I don't like French when spoken by a man, but it is very attractive spoken by a woman.

On English the jury's out: I suppose it depends on the accent in which it's spoken! (I have a favourite!)

MKEdude

Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:18 am

I have never been a fan of Thai or Vietnamese. It sounds very harsh, and it's impossible to speak them without coming across as royally pissed off.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline." Frank Zappa

eilennaei

Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:39 am

Since Finnish was mentioned, Hungarian at least to me sounds precisely like Finnish (as if you'd be hearing Finnish from a distance), but all the words are totally unintelligible. Likewise, Estonian must go with the same lot of arcane, weird, and conservative languages.

solnabo

Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:44 am

Dont like:
Finnish
Dutch

Like:
French
Spanish

*no offence*

Micke//SE Big grin
Airbus SAS - Love them both

gkirk

Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:47 am

Definately German.
Offence intended  Wink
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

flybyguy

Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:49 am

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 16):
On English the jury's out: I suppose it depends on the accent in which it's spoken! (I have a favourite!)

English spoken by the Scots and the Irish I have to say I can't understand a word.

As far as ugly languages I would have to say any form of an Asian language worst of all Chinese (Mandarin and Cantonese) Firstly for a westerner to learn the language would take a lifetime if you are not at in the prime language learning ages of 1-5 years. Secondly, those languages are full of very subtle pronunciations that can "conveniently" mean something very, very good or very, VERY bad. And so after I learn a billion or so characters and memorize each of their 2 dozen meanings, I can go out on the street and attempt to compliment someone or ask for directions in Beijing and inadvertently call their mother a farting pig or something.

And don't get me started about Cantonese. That language is so funny sounding with all of those pitch undulations it sounds like someone trying to talk will hopping on a trampoline. It amazes me that that language and Mandarin share the same characters.
"Are you a pretender... or a thoroughbred?!" - Professor Matt Miller

NoUFO

Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:49 am

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 20):
Definately German.

I have to admit that German is indeed the most ugliest sounding language whenever you try to speak it.  Wink
I support the right to arm bears

andz

Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:52 am

French.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

ME AVN FAN

Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:28 am

Quoting GoBoeing (Reply 1):
Ugliest I've seen is

So that you do NOT believe Arabic and German to be the nicest languages on earth ?

Quoting Flybyguy (Reply 21):
English spoken by the Irish I have to say

English spoken by the Irish is the clearest language on earth and most easily understandable !

Matt27

Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:30 am

sorry neighbours in the west, but finnish

Did you go to the same geography class at Laila Freivalds?  duck   Silly
Man ska inte dricka rödvin i en vit hall.

andersjt

Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:33 am

Having an Armenian boyfriend, I find that language difficult to listen to.
Oh how I long for the day when the skies were truly Friendly!

Airdolomiti

Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:38 am

Dutch, no question! Big grin No offence to all our Dutch friends here of course.
I also met a Swede this summer, and I have to say Swedish sounds really awkward, they have a very weird sound for the letter "i". Other languages whose sound I dislike are Portuguese (!!!) and English spoken by a German with a heavy accent - again, no offence to our German fellows here, in fact I don't mind the sound of German itself at all (maybe because my mom is from Bonn and I speak the language fluently  Wink )

On the other hand, I really like the sound of English (Brit and NZ accents mostly), Russian, Greek, Spanish, and French, the latter only if spoken by a woman though.

Finnish and Hungarian are just plain funny to me (my auntie's from Budapest so I hear quite a bit of Hungarian), as well as, of course, absolutely incomprehensible Big grin

Federico

nycflyer

Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:44 am

Quoting Flydubai (Reply 4):

flydubai

Sorry pal, there is NO CHANCE that Arabic is easier to learn than English. None! For starters, you have to pick a dialect (classical/ Egyptian/ Levantine/ Gulf /N.African) when learning Arabic, all of which are surprisingly diffeent. English just has different accents, no different dialects. And then you learn a whole new alphabet that is different from anywhere else in the world. And as a Semitic language, you have to acclimatize yourself to reading right-to-left. And you also have learn to pronounce letters and sounds that exist in no other language.

In short - English is far easier!

senorcarnival

Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:49 am

Written Romanian looks pretty funky. Danish sounds weird, whenever I hear my best friend speak it with his family it sounds like they're all cursing at one another.
Oh no, she's getting impatient! Take a stab at it!

ME AVN FAN

Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:56 am

Quoting NYCFlyer (Reply 28):
Sorry pal, there is NO CHANCE that Arabic is easier to learn than English. None! For starters, you have to pick a dialect (classical/ Egyptian/ Levantine/ Gulf /N.African) when learning Arabic, all of which are surprisingly diffeent. English just has different accents, no different dialects. And then you learn a whole new alphabet that is different from anywhere else in the world. And as a Semitic language, you have to acclimatize yourself to reading right-to-left. And you also have learn to pronounce letters and sounds that exist in no other language.

No, you can start with High Arabic and get into dialects later. The dialects ARE extremely different, but English does NOT only have "accents" but dialects like Scottish, Australian, Texan etc ARE definite dialects and NOT just accents. Right to left is just a matter of custom. Most letters of Arabic exist in either English ("th" etc), German (Chäshtly, etc) or Spanish . REAL problems about Arabic are (1) that most of the modern vocabulary is "rented" from outside (2) that most Arabs only are interested in their dialect (3) that most Arabs with some education have a decent command of at least one other language and (4) that people even inside the families very very often speak another language (not least as there often are guests of the same family but not speaking Arabic as living in Europe)

airxliban

Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:02 am

I personally think that any language, spoken properly, is beautiful.

Now I also happen to have a biased preference for Arabic (particularly the Lebanese dialect Big grin). I'd contend that the majority of people on this site have not heard Arabic spoken properly.
PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE.

ly7e7

Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:05 am

Central-asiatic and Caucasian languages are the ones that I really don't like to hear. Arabic comes close second (nothing national , so please keep your remarks).
2 things are endless: ignorance and space

milan320

Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:06 am

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 16):
Polish (anyone could whisper Polish in my ear all night long and I wouldn't care not understanding a word

Thanks mate! If you're a hot girl, then let me know and I can do that. Otherwise, sorry!  

No offence to my Swedish friends, but what's with the sharp intake of air, or the incessant: ohhhhhh!!! Just curious!
-Milan320

[Edited 2005-08-31 23:07:46]
I accept bribes ... :-)

IFLYMCO

Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:37 am

Dutch has to be one of the most grating. From living there, I actually learned an appreciation for being able to pronounce some of the consonant clusters and not inadvertently spit in someone's face.
Now it should be "IFLYDCA"

LFutia

Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:25 am

Dutch is very hard on the throat but nonetheless different..

as for the language i dont like -- British English!
Leo/ORD

SWA TPA

Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:30 am

I dont really dislike any particular language. However, there is one particular Asian language where they always sound like they are yelling. I find it very irritating to check in people (particularly the women) when they are talking amongst themselves. It is SO loud! I dont know what particular culture it is but man, very high pitched and LOUD! Chinese or Vietnamese perhaps?

SWA TPA
I believe I can fly.....

bsbisland

Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:18 am

Asian Languages, specially Chinese sounds really strange for me... quite ugly.

Oposed to some posts above, I do like German, and have been learning for some time, but too difficult... I love hearing German, but I woudn´t say it´s the "most beautiful"

French and Italian are the most beautiful in my opinion.
Godverdomme, en Nederlands ook, natuurlijk  Wink

AA767400

Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:39 am

Dutch
Hebrew
Arabic
Spanish from Buenos Aires.
"The low fares airline."

Braybuddy

Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:41 am

Quoting Flybyguy (Reply 21):
English spoken by the Scots and the Irish I have to say I can't understand a word.

Even I have difficulty understanding people from Kerry. . .

JAGflyer

Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:17 am

Yiddish is very wierd sounding when spoken. It sounds like a mix of German, Hebrew and several eastern European langauges. Mostly spoken by old eastern European jews it sounds very funky. I have picked up a little from my dad and him talking to his parents and their friends in Yiddish. Yiddish is written with the Hebrew alphabet.

Examples:
"Mein tochteh eist einen a looyeh" (My daughter is a lawyer)

"Gay kokken dayn hosen" (Go crap your pants)

It sounds really funky when spoken by old people.

Hebrew is a very good langauge because it like some, you do not use any possesive adjectives when speaking. For example if you want to say "I have an apple" you just say the word for I which is Ani and the word for apple which is Tapooah. Ani Tapooah.

[Edited 2005-09-01 02:24:15]
If you flew today, thank a Flight Dispatcher!

SRQCrosscheck

Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:27 am

Prettiest:
French, Spanish, Italian, Portugese, Greek, Hawaiian, Cantonese and Mandarin (I love the tonality -- very musical), Japanese.

Interesting-sounding: the "clicking" languages of Africa (some of the oldest on earth, perhaps...)

Harsh sounding: Thai -- sorry, but it just sounds weird.

QANTASforever

Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:45 am

Danish and German. Hands down.

QFF
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

PADSpot

Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:54 am

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 3):
I have always considered Finnish

I second that. Ever tried to pronounce a 15-letter word with almost no vowels in it? All the Asian languages are in general more different than European languages, but definitly better in the ear ...

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 3):

Definitly not. Arabic is not only a language, but also tightly woven into arabian culture and religion ... You cannot just learn Arabic as you can learn English.

In short - English is far easier!

That's a question of your perspective. For all speakers of celtic/germanic languages it certainly is, but Italians for instance consider Spanish as much simpler than English ... Many Dutch people are also fluent in German, while we Germans have difficulties with Dutch, although modern German and Dutch have the same origins. Also many Danes and Norwegians have some basic knowledge of German. And most Finnish people speak Swedish .... it really depend on where you live.

BTW: I found out that most Americans have a far better German pronounciation than our dear friends from beyond that Channel. I ever wonderd why ...

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 30):
Most letters of Arabic exist in either English ("th" etc), German (Ch�shtly, etc) or Spanish

What is Ch�shtly? Arabic has lots of extremely deep "throat-tones"; in contrast our German "ch" tones are very shallow. The Dutch have tones that are more similar to some Arabic tones ...

Quoting LFutia (Reply 35):
Dutch is very hard on the throat but nonetheless different.. as for the language i dont like -- British English!

Dutch often sounds weird to Germans, as it is softer, but with harsher throat-tones.

With myself living in a city with 12.000 Brits I am more used to British English and as long as the English speak clear and slow its easier to understand. But as soon as you talk to someone with a stronger accent, any American, no matter where he comes from and how fast he is speaking, is better to understand.

keno

Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:11 am

Sorry pal, there is NO CHANCE that Arabic is easier to learn than English.

Agree. When I was in high school, everyone had to take up one foreign language (besides english, of course) - Arabic, Japanese or French.

Around 45% of students took up Arabic, 40% Japanese and 15% French. Here's roughly the average mark that my classmates got during exams :-

Arabic 50%
Japanese 90%
French 70%

Most Malaysians are familiar with the arabic script and language because we have to read the Koran, and the arabic teachers we have here are highly qualified as most were trained in Egypt or Jordan. Yet students who took up perform Arabic performs badly compared to Japanese and French. Japanese, despites with its alien-looking script unknown to us, performs the best. I took up French and did quite alright.

Arabic is easier to learn than english? You must be joking!

jcs17

Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:20 am

Finnish is a crazy language. Researchers actually say that its closest relative is probably Korean in terms of syntax and structure. Weird, huh? When spoken it doesn't sound too bad and spellings are always interesting. At least if you don't know German, Swedish, Danish, etc. you can at least guess what a word is, but not so for Finnish.

German, Polish, and Russian would have to get my votes for ugliest languages.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

ME AVN FAN

Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:25 am

Quoting LY7E7 (Reply 32):
Arabic comes close second

you mean too close to your own one ?

ME AVN FAN

Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:30 am

Quoting LFutia (Reply 35):
i dont like -- British English!

which clearly is "world English". Suggest you start a movement to change the US language from English into Spanish. But be aware that Spanish, whenever most Spanish speakers are Latin Americans, basically is the language of Spain, just as English basically is the language of England

EA CO AS

Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:31 am

World's Ugliest Language?

Ever see The Gods Must Be Crazy ? It's gotta be African Bushman! All that clicking and stuff...  Wink
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

ME AVN FAN

Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:37 am

Quoting PADSpot (Reply 43):
Arabic is not only a language, but also tightly woven into arabian culture and religion

Arabic is "woven" into Arab culture, which is the quality of the language, but NOT into a particular religion. It also is the language of the Christian Arabs .