Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

rootsair
Topic Author

Why Is Diesel Cheaper Than Unleaded?

Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:03 pm

This applies for many many countries. At least all of the Latin american countries I can think of , not sure about Asia and in europe some such as Spain. Its proven that diesel pollutes far more than unleaded fuel so why continue making it cheaper and not put a more dissuasive price?

Someone could give me a rational answer to this

Regards BM

MD11junkie

RE: Why Is Diesel Cheaper Than Unleaded?

Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:10 pm

Quoting RootsAir (Thread starter):
Its proven that diesel pollutes far more than unleaded fuel so why continue making it cheaper and not put a more dissuasive price

Wrong, Diesel sets off into space less carbon monoxide and other gases, which are by far really polluting, than common "fuel". Normal Fuel is cleaner -not less polluting-. You do not have the black smoke.

In Latin America, and I think every country except Brazil and/or Chile, Diesel fuel is one heck of a popular fuel. It does not pollute that much, and the performance of the car is great, considering about a 4.3l/100km fuel consumption on a VW Polo 1.9 SD engine, which is, by now - 4 years old.

Why cheaper?
Being so popular with transport, and many low end consumers, diesel is cheaper - due to being less tax charged. Diesel cars in Argentina, are more expensive than petrol cars.

Cheers!
Gastón - The MD-11 Junkie

[Edited 2005-09-03 12:33:57]

[Edited 2005-09-03 12:34:36]

Arniepie

Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:28 pm

This applies for many many countries. At least all of the Latin american countries I can think of , not sure about Asia and in europe some such as Spain. Its proven that diesel pollutes far more than unleaded fuel so why continue making it cheaper and not put a more dissuasive price?

Someone could give me a rational answer to this

While MD11, rightly, stated that diesel isn't always more polluting (except for sulfur and sooth) this is not the main reason why it is cheaper.

The real reason is that diesel is the fuel for heavy transport (Trucks,van's) and because this is such a critical economic pillar the diesel price is kept lower (not as many taxes).

Also Diesel is more energetic per liter, however I'm not sure that is a factor.

Eurohub

Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:43 pm

In the UK currently, the price of diesel at the pump is between 2 and 5 pence per litre more expensive than unleaded. I paid 95.9 pence per litre for diesel last night at a filling station where the price of unleaded was 92.9 pence per litre! I wish it was cheaper than unleaded over here!

Arniepie

Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:48 pm

Quoting Eurohub (Reply 3):
In the UK currently, the price of diesel at the pump is between 2 and 5 pence per litre more expensive than unleaded. I paid 95.9 pence per litre for diesel last night at a filling station where the price of unleaded was 92.9 pence per litre! I wish it was cheaper than unleaded over here!

Yes I know this about the UK.
I believe that the UK together with Switserland are exceptions to the rule.
I know in Switserland it is done because of Sooth pollution so I am guessing the same reason applies in the UK?

Any other country's where Diesel is more expensive than unleaded?

srbmod

Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:06 pm

Up until recently, diesel fuel had been more in expensive than regular gas in many parts of the US most of this year. Typically, diesel fuel is at its' highest prices during the winter months as diesel fuel is used as home heating oil in some parts of the country so their is increased demand for diesel. But with the recent supply issues, diesel is sitting about 15 cents cheaper than regular fuel in many areas.

aloges

Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:34 pm

At least in Germany, vehicle tax for diesel cars is much higher than for petrol-fueled cars. So if you travel a lot with a diesel car, you may very well be able to offset the higher tax, but if you don't, you'll end up paying more. I do however have to admit that comparing diesel and petrol prices makes me smile every (rare) time I fill up our diesel car.

Edit: Forgot to address the pollution issue. It is true that diesel cars produce a lot more soot than other cars, but that will have been taken care of by filters in the next few years. The French were the first to place their bets on filters, and the German car industry completely missed the trend - even today, they seem reluctant to introduce filters on a large scale.

[Edited 2005-09-03 13:37:43]

bill142

Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:24 pm

Diesel is one of the first products which comes off when they start to refine the oil. Oddly in this country diesel costs more then unleaded. thats taxation for you.

airbuzz

Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:33 pm

Quoting MD11junkie (Reply 1):

Why cheaper?
Being so popular with transport, and many low end consumers, diesel is cheaper - due to being less tax charged.

Why cheaper? Simple.
Diesel is cheaper than petrol because it requires less work in the refinery to produce it.

ANCFlyer

Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:37 pm

Not in Alaska . . . not for over a year now . . . Diesel is as expensive as SUper Unleaded . . .

Skyway1

Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:41 pm

I filled up my work(FedEx delivery truck) truck yesterday here in Ohio at $2.94. Regular unleaded at the same station was $3.09. It's still cheaper...but not by much.

Pyrex

Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:16 am

You seem to forget one thing: for the past ten years the evolution in Diesel technology for automobiles (high-pressure injection systems, variable-geometry turbos, etc.) has been mindblowing when gasoline technology has basically stagnated.

It is incorrect to state modern diesels pollute more than modern gasoline engines. Although they do emit more nitrous oxide and particles (the sulphur thing is a refining issue) they emit less carbon monoxide and hydrocarbons. Being way more fuel-efficient, they also emit less C02.

And there is always the refining issue...

rojo

Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:18 am

Quoting MD11junkie (Reply 1):
In Latin America, and I think every country except Brazil and/or Chile, Diesel fuel is one heck of a popular fuel. It does not pollute that much, and the performance of the car is great, considering about a 4.3l/100km fuel consumption on a VW Polo 1.9 SD engine, which is, by now - 4 years old.

Gastón

You need to come to Mexico and see for yourself a Latin American country where there are NO Diesel cars. We don't even have Diesel in gas stations located inside the cities (only in main highways and near bus stations). If you go to the car dealer and ask for a Diesel car, they will laugh at you!!!

The best thing in this economic environment is that our government can not increase the regular unleaded gas price even if oil prices go up a lot, so we still get decent unleaded gas prices (even when it is heavy taxed). This is the reason why we don't get Diesel cars in Mexico.

jamesbuk

Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:13 am

over here

diesel.... 99.9ppl !!!!!!!!!!1
unleaded ..... 94.9ppl !!!!!!

CaptOveur

Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:39 pm

Its proven that diesel pollutes far more than unleaded fuel

Source please..

A WELL MAINTAINED diesel engine is very clean.

Why Is Diesel Cheaper Than Unleaded?

Because it is supposed to be. Do you think goods magically transport themselves to market?

swisskloten

Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:46 am

I live in the US and Switzerland. I thought the steep price of diesel had a little to do with the country being landlocked. A quick trip to the UK and the Netherlands convinced me otherwise. So, why is diesel more expensive then unleaded in Europe?
And why does Germany put a higher tax on diesel cars? They generally get better gas mileage.

L-188

Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:28 am

Boils down to two reasons.

1 Diesel is a commerical fuel in the US. This means that the entire trucking industry is placing pressure on producers and the goverment to keep costs and taxes low.

2. Diesel isn't as highly refined of a product as Unleaded and doesn't have some of the additives that Unleaded needs...What you don't need you don't have to pay for.

satx

Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:57 am

Quoting Aloges (Reply 6):
Edit: Forgot to address the pollution issue. It is true that diesel cars produce a lot more soot than other cars, but that will have been taken care of by filters in the next few years.

Or so we hope.

Quoting Aloges (Reply 6):
even today, they seem reluctant to introduce filters on a large scale.

Why?

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 11):
It is incorrect to state modern diesels pollute more than modern gasoline engines.

They pollute in different ways. I suppose it depends on what form of pollution you think has the most impact on the environment.

CaptOveur

Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:41 pm

Quoting Swisskloten (Reply 15):
And why does Germany put a higher tax on diesel cars? They generally get better gas mileage.

Without looking I can almost tell you for certain it is to generate revenue for the government. A more fuel efficient car is more desirable to people with their heads screwed on straight, all things being equal. The government probably sees an opportunity to pay for those Airbus subsidies or something Big grin

bhill

Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:05 am

it's not cheaper in the Seattle area. Unleaded regular = $2.92/gal. Diesel = $3.15/gal.

Cheers