Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

rjpieces
Topic Author

Advice On Exercise

Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:08 am

I'm generally pretty healthy for an 18 year old, although I don't have the best diet (Lots of soda and junk food). I'm very skinny and thankfully have never had to worry about getting fat or dieting. I'm what some would call a "twig". But anyhow I've decided that I want to start going to a gym and working out.

Basically, I'm wondering what is a good exercise plan for somebody who just wants to buff up a little bit as opposed to losing weight? How many days a week is good to go, and what kind of working out would you suggest?

Any help is appreciated.
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

whitehatter

RE: Advice On Exercise

Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:12 am

Ask at the gym.

Seriously. There are people there who live and breathe exercise and can help you with a beginners program, building up into a regular routine.
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

cfalk

Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:17 am

As my old army drill instructor used to yell at us, "keep going until you puke".
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

prosa

Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:42 am

Three or at most four times a week should be sufficient. Anything more than that and you're running the risk of overtraining, which can result in little or no progress.

As for specific workout routines, there are a multitude available on the web and elsewhere. A few general things to keep in mind, however, are:
1) Use free weights as much as possible, rather than weight machines.
2) Do mostly compound exercises, as opposed to isolation exercises.
3) Always keep a log of your workouts.

And the most important thing, if you're skinny and want to bulk up a little, is to eat a lot of healthy foods. It is difficult to overestimate the importance of proper diet.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

usnseallt82

Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:59 am

Here's what to do:

If you're looking at bulking up instead of the usual fat-burn workouts, the key is hitting the weights. You will be getting enough sweat going during this time to make up for the lack of cardio for a while, since you say you don't really need it. Don't give up on it, but don't let it be your main focus for about a month.

When you get in there, the key to knowing how to bulk up is to find your weight levels and work out with those. Here's a workout I have done for many years that never fails me to keep pretty stocked up. (I have to focus more on cardio because of it)

Day 1 - Shoulders, Back, tricepts, abs

You'll be worn out at the end of this and, if you're like me, will be dripping sweat on the floor....so, no need for much cardio today.

• Seated Military Press - 3 sets of 8 (I do this to get the region warmed up for everything else)
  • Laying-down Tricept Extensions - 3 sets of 8
  • Seated rows - 4 sets of 10
  • Seated Shrugs(usually on isolateral machine) - 4 sets of 8(or until I can't do anymore)
  • Tricept Pulldowns(with cables) - 3 set of 8 with V-bar, 3 sets of 8 with rope
  • Shrugs(normal ones on a squat rack with straps) - 4-5 sets of 8(until failure)
  • Crunches - 1 set of 100 regular, 2 sets of 50 on either side
  • Seated Isolateral Rows - 3 sets of 8
  • Dumbell Raises - 3 sets of 8, or a pyramid workout starting with minimal weight and going up each set of 8, then back down
  • Crunches - 1 set of 100 regular, 2 sets of 50 on either side(to end the workout)

Day 2 - Chest, bicepts, abs

This day is made solely for chest and bicepts, as the chest needs a lot of attention to workout. Adjust the weights according to what you need and it should bulk you up very quickly.

• Dumbell Press(flat bench) - 3 sets of 8
  • French Curls(reverse curls with palm of hands facing down) - 3 sets of 8(this gets your arms worked up for the rest of the workout)
  • Incline Dumbell Press - 3 sets of 8
  • Standing bar curl - 3 sets of 8
  • Decline Dumbell Press - 3 sets of 8
  • Seated Dumbell Curl - 3 sets of 8 each arm
  • Crunches - 1 set of 100 regular, 2 sets of 50 each side
  • Close grip bench(normal bench and bar) - 3 sets of 8
  • Curl machine(gets a good overall pull) - 3 sets of 8
  • Dumbell flies(flat bench) - 3 sets of 8
  • Crunches - 1 set of 100 regular, 2 sets of 50 on either side(to end workout)

Day 3 - legs, abs

This day is made for the legs and more abs because your upper body is worn out. You use your shoulders a lot when doing squats, so this is why it is separated from the shoulder day with an extra day between. Also, you don't need to do much after normal squats because they use EVERY leg muscle effectively. But, you can throw in more stuff if you need to, like dead lifts and hang cleans if you want more...although, you should have enough.

• Squats(warmup squats, light weight...135 at most) - 2 sets of 8
  • Squats(heavy ones) - 3 sets of 8
  • Seated Leg Press(usually on a sliding machine but with free weights) - 4 sets of 8)
  • Leg Extensions - 3 sets of 8
  • Leg pulls - 3 sets of 8
  • Calve Extensions - 3 sets of 12
  • Crunches - 1 set of 100 regular, 2 sets of 50 on either side(to end workout)

Day 4 - repeat day 1

Day 5 - repeat day 2

Day 6 - repeat day 3

Day 7 - a much needed rest...don't do a thing

Now, I tell you all of this because it has worked for me for several years. But, if you haven't had experience in lifting heavy weights or with free weights, then you really need to talk with a trainer at the gym. Even if you've had experience, they can help curtail a workout to your specific needs and spot you when you do some of these lifts. I've gotten to the point where I don't usually get a spotter, but when I go real heavy I still grab one of the trainers. Use them...that's what they're there for. And, if you gym is like mine and so many others, they're not usually doing much during the day so they love to get a chance to train people.

Also, you'll notice that there are a lot of crunches in between the workouts. I do this because the lifts you are doing will be wearing you out. If you go straight to another lift of the same muscle group, you won't be worth a thing. Meet with a trainer to find out how heavy you need to start out with and adjust the reps accordingly. This should work out good for you. And, you'll notice that I don't emphasize cardio right now. This is because if you're already thin enough and want to bulk up, then you don't want to just lose the fat...you want to transform it into muscle. This happens with weight training, so for about a month, relax on the cardio a little. Go for runs or walks throughout the week, but don't make it a priority until you get bulked up. Then we'll go back to the cardio and blend the two.

Like I said, this works and has worked for many and several others that I've shown it to. But please talk with your trainer to find out what weights to use and what would be best for you. Message me anytime if you want some more pointers and I would be glad to help!  Big grin
Crye me a river

theCoz

Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:13 am

I remember when I was a kid, my mom just started chasing cars one day. While taking a walk, my dad pointed at a truck and yelled "bacon!". My mom took off running toward it. Since that day she has lost 10 stone (140lbs) and she's even been hit by several cars.

Signed,

KROC

AA777

Sun Sep 11, 2005 4:17 pm

RJ-

I did lots of excercise at Hel-well last year, and I found that unless you're eating lottttttttts of protein, it will be hard to gain muscle mass. I got leaner, and bit bigger, but didnt bulk up like I wanted to. (I am almost 6'3" so getting bulky is not easy in the first place, I too, am a 'twig'). I went to the gym at least 4 times a week for 1-2 hours each for (for at least 5 months), and lifted hard. I didnt get the results I wanted after 5 months....lol...so i quit... But I realize now a lot of it may have been that my diet is very very low in protein. I really love veggies and carbs.... meat is just not my thing. Anyhow, if you want to get bigger, eat proteinnn.

-AA777

Mir

Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:55 pm

Quoting TheCoz (Reply 5):
I remember when I was a kid, my mom just started chasing cars one day. While taking a walk, my dad pointed at a truck and yelled "bacon!". My mom took off running toward it. Since that day she has lost 10 stone (140lbs) and she's even been hit by several cars.

Signed,

KROC

WTF?

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

flyAUA

Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:08 pm

Quoting RJpieces (Thread starter):
Any help is appreciated.

Diamond is your man for exercise advice.
Not drinking, also isn't a solution!

jtamu97

Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:53 am

Eat lots of protein, lift lots of weight but small repetitions...I normally do sets of 5 with 5 reps each. I worked out 3 times a week and got real big by accident. Now I do 8 to 12 reps each as I am trying to tone a bit. Also, make sure you are working the same muscles constantly. Do not do a set of curls, then work your legs, then your back. Many people think you should rest, however to get a good muscle structure, your rest should be kept to a minimum and work on the same muscle group. I used to do chest, shoulders and arms one day, legs and back the next, then a full body work out on the 3rd day. Bottom line, you need to find out what works best for you..Your body structure may not allow for you to bulk up much naturally..If that is the fact, accept it...Do not take supplements just to get bigger muscles!!!
Propeller, we don't need no stinkin propeller

AC777LR

Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:13 am

Reese what is your body weight right now? How much do you want to grow to? It all depends on how buff you would like to look. I know I go to the gym about 6 times a week, and I am trying to bulk up another 17more lbs and its tuff, results are slow but well worth it.
Member since April 2000