Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

stlgph
Topic Author

Avis Rent-a-car/LAX

Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:27 pm

What on earth is going on in Los Angeles Oct 12, 13, 14? I was looking up rates for car rental and usually go with Avis.....$200 (!!!!!!!!!!!!) for a sub compact for two days! Some other companies were less ($150 range) but usually Avis has the best deals out of many of the car companies. Yes, I realize it's a weekday rental but I was in L.A. in April (11, 12, 13) and paid $42 for a really bitchin' Grand Am.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

AeroWesty

RE: Avis Rent-a-car/LAX

Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:39 pm

That's funny, when I searched those dates using Travelocity, I came up with compacts as cheap as $54.80 for a 2-day rental at Thrifty, and nothing in the $200 range for that size car, even at Avis.

What search engine are you using?
International Homo of Mystery

L410Turbolet

Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:42 pm

Just trying your dates through Expedia.com, Enterprise offers Neon for $27.69/day.
Your preferred Avis offers Compact for $57/day (Economy for $56/day) if booked through Orbitz.com

BigOrange

Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:55 am

Welcome to the world of Avis and Hertz.

They increased their prices "because of the fuel crisis"!

That was what we were told at work in a letter from Hertz.

N1120A

Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:46 am

Quoting STLGph (Thread starter):
for a really bitchin' Grand Am.

I have never seen a really bitchin' Grand Am, just the crappy ones they normally have. What do the really bitchin' ones look like?  Silly
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

dl021

Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:53 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 4):
Quoting STLGph (Thread starter):
for a really bitchin' Grand Am.

I have never seen a really bitchin' Grand Am, just the crappy ones they normally have. What do the really bitchin' ones look like?

spit 
Oh, the humanity!
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

stlgph
Topic Author

Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:37 am

Quoting BigOrange (Reply 3):
Welcome to the world of Avis and Hertz.

Hertz and National I expect it. With Avis, not at all. I rented from Thrifty once before, Alamo once before, and then someone suggested Avis. I found Avis to always have the lowest prices when going to book out of the others and have rented from them probably a good 12 or 15 times.

Thrifty and Alamo both over charged me on my credit card as to what they charged me "on paper" and I had to fight with my credit card company and with Thrifty and Alamo to get it adjusted.

Never had a problem with Avis, except their directions & map for returning the car kinda have stunk, especially at LAX.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 4):
I have never seen a really bitchin' Grand Am, just the crappy ones they normally have. What do the really bitchin' ones look like?

It was a red color. Very nice, very clean, very loud stereo, and very vroooom!!!

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 1):
What search engine are you using?

I was using Avis.Com. I went through Orbitz and Priceline and pulled up the same $200 rates for Avis. Dollar, Thrifty, and a few non-national chains were offering $50 for the entire two days.

Quoting L410Turbolet (Reply 2):
Your preferred Avis offers Compact for $57/day (Economy for $56/day) if booked through Orbitz.com

Quoting L410Turbolet (Reply 2):
Just trying your dates through Expedia.com, Enterprise offers Neon for $27.69/day.

Yeah, Enterprise was in the "middle" price range...still going for $80 to $90 for two days, which is still nuts compared for just two days. And even living in St. Louis, I can't stand Enterprise, for whatever the reason.

AeroWesty

Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:08 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 6):
I was using Avis.Com

Interesting. Are you getting hit with an under-25 surcharge? On travelocity.com they show Avis pricing out at $121.22 for subcompacts, $123.38 for compacts, and $158.02 for convertibles for those days as the total price.
International Homo of Mystery

stlgph
Topic Author

Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:37 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 7):
Interesting. Are you getting hit with an under-25 surcharge? On travelocity.com they show Avis pricing out at $121.22 for subcompacts, $123.38 for compacts, and $158.02 for convertibles for those days as the total price.

No, I get around that.

$121 for two days is still ridiculous!

AsstChiefMark

Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:46 am

In the USA, I always use Enterprise. I check other company's websites and the "name your own price" websites, but Enterprise always has the lowest price for me. Usually, I can get a Ford Taurus SES for the same price as a Dodge Neon. Last time I flew into AUS, I was able to get a Dodge Magnum for the same price as the Neon. I paid $121.95 for a 7-day rental.

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

JasYHZ

Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:29 pm

Hi everyone,

Finally paid up my $25 bucks to join all the fun!

Think of this - you never know what may be going on with Avis' fleet at that time. Returning cars to auctions, damaged units - all these factors plus a billion more may be causing their rates to go up.

BUT - here's a little insider secret. Rate tiers go from lowest to highest in the following order (or it is at my company):
The actual company website
travel websites
1-800 Reservation Lines
Calling the location directly.
"That's it! You just made the list!"

stlgph
Topic Author

Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:29 pm

Quoting JasYHZ (Reply 10):
BUT - here's a little insider secret. Rate tiers go from lowest to highest in the following order (or it is at my company):
The actual company website
travel websites
1-800 Reservation Lines
Calling the location directly.

yes, I discovered that. I called them directly and the rate would be higher by about $15-$20 increments. Welcome aboard!

HT

Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:15 pm

Try to get quotes for rental cars from www.southwest.com . They display a good overview over a number of rental car agencies, but do not include charges / taxes / insurance.
-HT

EDiT: Dollar starts as low as 35 $ for 2 days for "Economy"

[Edited 2005-09-15 15:22:58]
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !