Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AMERICAN757
Topic Author

Just Came Out To My Dad

Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:11 am

Ive been at home sick for the past four days and my dad being stupid kept yelling at me for not talking to him enough and not helping around the house etc. well then later he comes back into the living room and sits down and asks if im gay. and i said no but he kept asking and finally i just said yes. he started crying n stuff and i left the room. the told me a few minutes later he still loved me and didnt hate me etc he just didnt approve of the gay lifestyle but he cant make me change. he said he wouldnt keep me from dating either etc but he didnt wnat me bringing my gay friends around the house and not to tell my mom. but before he left today he said he still loved me etc and im still his son and he wouldnt abandon me. he said i cant go to my boyfriends cause ive been sick all week but maybe he can come here for the weekend. we will see. ne way i had to tell somebody.

tyL3R

erikwilliam

RE: Just Came Out To My Dad

Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:14 am

Quoting AMERICAN757 (Thread starter):

tyL3R

damm, I´m pretty sure he´d rather think you´r a lazzy ass
Dida, Cafu, Lucio, Roque Junior, Roberto Carlo, Emerson, Ze Roberto, Ronaldinho, Kaka, Adriano, Robinho, Ronaldo

AeroWesty

Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:14 am

Congrats! I'm glad your dad had the cajones to talk to you openly about it. (Psst, if he knew, your mom probably does too).  Wink
International Homo of Mystery

DrP

Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:21 am

Yeah, chances are your mom already knows - they usually have an idea. Anyhoo, congrats, i'm glad your dad took it well - i'm sure it's half a weight off your shoulder  Smile thumbsup 
My pony plays the mamba . .

TWFirst

Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:37 am

He'll adjust. In time, he'll see it's not a big deal.

You're 13-15 and have a steady boyfriend? Wow. Things sure have changed since the '80s....  Big grin
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

MD11junkie

Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:43 am

Tyler,

Give him some time. I've had this same problem with my dad. He'll adjust, and certainly, he will approve of you living the way you live.
Just, give time to time, and everything will work out like a swiss watch. Congrats on having the courage to do this. If you need anything, I'm all open ears! (or a shoulder if ya need to cry)  Smile.

Cheers! wave 
Gastón - The MD-11 Junkie
There is no such thing as Boeing vs Airbus as the queen of the skies has three engines, winglets and the sweetest nose!

jaysit

Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:43 am

Quoting TWFirst (Reply 4):
You're 13-15 and have a steady boyfriend? Wow. Things sure have changed since the '80s....

They sure do grow up fast nowadays, don't they !

Well, it looks like the kid's Dad is a nice guy, and he is trying to understand.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

ManuCH

Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:45 am

Congratulations for coming out! My dad wouldn't talk to me for 2 weeks after I did ... now he and my boyfriend are almost "best friends" Big grin ... wait an you'll see, he only needs to adjust to the new situation. Good luck!

-Manuel
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

CORULEZ05

Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:49 am

Considering your age (13-15), I CONGRATULATE YOU for having the courage and strength to come out to your family....especially your dad. It is a very very difficult time for us and unfortunately, we all go through it eventually. In your case, things went very well and that I am sure you are thankful for. Lately, coming out has been on my mind A LOT but unfortunately, I don't have the courage to do it.....   

You're 13-15 and have a steady boyfriend? Wow. Things sure have changed since the '80s....

2005.......HELLO!!!!!! I was rather surprised myself but kids grow up too soon these days.... 

[Edited 2005-09-15 21:57:00]
Fly jetBlue today!!!!!!!

trekster

Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:51 am

Congrats my friend. You have done one of the hardest things, and its come out ok.

I did that 4 weeks ago and my dad, and mom just said "Do u think were that stupid, we have know for years" I just burst out laughing with relief and said "Why the hell did u not tell me"

Same with Aunt and grandparents. Why is it they have known for ages, and i have just come to terms with it at the age of 24 lol. Parents know more than u think, and thats a bit scary lol
Where does the time go???

flyAUA

Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:56 am

Wow, good job buddy. It takes a lot of courage to do such a thing and I can imagine how you're feeling. You're dad took things MUCH MUCH better than mine did, and we're fine now, so as everyone is saying, just give it some time. And guess what? Your mom already knows, believe it or not. Don't wanna put more pressure on you, but she might be offended if she knows you told your dad and not her. I wouldn't wait too long. Anyways... mom's ALWAYS know   

[Edited 2005-09-15 21:57:19]
Not drinking, also isn't a solution!

BA767s

Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:57 am

Aw well done m8, I came out to my Dad last week! However, when I came out to my Mum she said she wasn't surprised! How rude lol!

John  Smile
Come on, let's fly!

flyAUA

Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:59 am

Quoting BA767s (Reply 11):
when I came out to my Mum she said she wasn't surprised! How rude lol!

You were expecting more drama weren't you? I felt like that in certain cases too! LOL Big grin

trekster

Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:02 am

Quoting FlyAUA (Reply 12):
You were expecting more drama weren't you? I felt like that in certain cases too! LOL

I was really not looking forwad to telling any of my family bacause of what i have heard happen. With them jsut going, YEA I KNOW, i was dumbstruck and just laughed

redngold

Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:02 am

Quoting AMERICAN757 (Thread starter):

I'm sure that was difficult for both of you. Even if I don't approve of homosexual culture, I still think it's important to be honest. You've made a good decision.

redngold
Up, up and away!

Jetset763

Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:06 am

Well done, I wish I had told my parents at a younger age. I still have not come out to them a the age of 22, never felt brave enough to do it yet- my mum is a devout christian and I think she would hit the roof if I came out to her!!.  Sad

One day they will find out (or already know) and I will have to tell them.  boggled 
hAS ANYONE SEEN MY cAPSLOCK KEY?

BA767s

Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:07 am

Yeh I know, was expecting the worst to happen. Its jus not the nicest thing to say when you have just taken 3 long dragging hours crying to come out with it then they say its not a surprise. I actually consider myself very str8 acting! Oh well,..

John  Smile
Come on, let's fly!

trekster

Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:10 am

Quoting Jetset763 (Reply 15):
my mum is a devout christian

I know its not the same, but one of my best friends is VERY into the chuch thing, i was really scared i would lose him as a friend when i told him, his response "I dont care what team u bat for"

airlinelover

Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:10 am

Tyler, at least yours is a better story then the type we hear all too often.. Usually goes like this..

Boy comes out to dad
Dad yells/screams/whatever
Dad and son fight
Dad and son stop talking to each other
Dad abandons son
(And in some cases)
Dad dies before he and son make up
or
Son dies before he and dad can make up..

Your dad is not abandoning you. So many have...

Chris
Lets do some sexy math. We add you, subtract your clothes, divide your legs and multiply

MD11junkie

Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:12 am

Quoting Airlinelover (Reply 18):
Boy comes out to dad
Dad yells/screams/whatever
Dad and son fight
Dad and son stop talking to each other
Dad abandons son
(And in some cases)
Dad dies before he and son make up
or
Son dies before he and dad can make up..

Uhhhh... you sure this is isn't a crappy soap opera/movie script?!  Wink

Cheers! wave 
Gastón - The MD-11 Junkie
There is no such thing as Boeing vs Airbus as the queen of the skies has three engines, winglets and the sweetest nose!

FlyingTexan

Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:15 am

Tyler (AMERICAN757) is 16 years old.

Tyler, update your profile.
"Wouldn't your boss like to fly home nonstop at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon?" -Airline Exec to Congressional Staffer

JasYHZ

Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:45 am

Lucky you....my Mom knows and loves me and my partner equally (she tells all the girls in her office "My boys are coming home for the weekend") but my father....um, no. May parents are divorced.

The best way I can describe him is a pickup truck driving, confederate flag wavin, gun shooting, Jerry Springer watchin, dart throwin redneck who once said to my face "all the fags should be shot in one big field...."

Yeah, I'll be flying in there with a big rainbow pennant comin out my ass.....
"That's it! You just made the list!"

OzarkD9S

Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:49 am

Quoting Erikwilliam (Reply 1):

damm, I´m pretty sure he´d rather think you´r a lazzy ass

Wow, what an insensitive comment.

AMERICAN757: Congrats, everything will work out. There's plenty of people on here to get support from if needed. Don't hesitate to ask.
"True, I talk of dreams,
Which are the children of an idle brain." -Mercutio

L104me

Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:02 am

Quoting JasYHZ (Reply 21):
The best way I can describe him is a pickup truck driving, confederate flag wavin, gun shooting, Jerry Springer watchin, dart throwin redneck who once said to my face "all the fags should be shot in one big field...."

You have those in Canada?  duck  I thought Canadians were much more civilized than us Americans!

Glad to know the Southern states are not the only ones with the Confederate flag waving Springer watching folks!

LOT767-300ER

Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:02 am

First off I am looking at you from the other angle (ie: straight) but yet I can imagine how hard this is for you. I am Catholic and go to church (although this has changed recently with College  Silly) and my parents are the same. I am definately from one of the most religious and non-gay countries on earth so if I was put in your position I would have a much harder time. Morally I dont agree with what you do, infact I dont agree with homosexuality but I dont care what you really do, we live in a free country and Im not going to stop you and infact Im glad that your able to do whatever you like as long as it doesnt break the law.

Now...

I dont know why gay people need to "come out" to their parents or the likes?

I am straight and yet I havent sat down with my dad or mom and confessed to them im straight.

Its kind of like gay parades and rainbow stickers on cars. Whens the last time anyone has seen a straight sticker. And why have a parade? Do straight people have parades. Its not like homosexuality is your nationality and your doing it for a national holiday or rememberance day. SOME gay people show their side way too damn much and still want equality and cause a commotion. Of course I am not talking about anyone specific on here but people who cry for media attention and cause massive disruptions.

L104me

Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:17 am

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 24):
Now...

It's quite simple...if you chose not to "come out", you are basically living a lie to your parents. (Even though most parents know the truth anyway!)

I think that everyone should come out on their terms, when it's right for them, etc, and if you choose not to come out, then that great if it works for you. However, by denying who you truly are, means at some level, you are living a lie.

You say you have not "come out" as a str8 guy? You probably have and just didn't realize it! When you were at the last family get together, and your cousin, Sister, Aunt, Whoever...asked about your girlfriend (assuming you have one) did you answer honestly...Well....you came out as a str8 guy...

Gay guys (and our lesbian friends too...) constantly are asked...
"Do you have a girlfriend", "When are you going to get married", "Why aren't you seeing someone".....and in most cases those who have not "come out", have to make up lame stories, excuses, etc.. just to get the conversation moving to a different direction..

Bottom line, everyone should do what works for them and makes them happy!

But I do congratulate American757 for his courage, and more importantly his honesty! I also applaud his Dad for having to courage to bring up this difficult topic! Just by hearing that Dad brough it up, you can be sure things will work out for this family! Best of luck to you both!

Jeff

[Edited 2005-09-15 23:18:34]

[Edited 2005-09-15 23:22:07]

OzarkD9S

Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:18 am

I dont agree with homosexuality

As a fact of life? It exists. As an option for yourself? Either you are or you're not.

Quoting LOT767-300ER,reply=24

]I dont know why gay people need to "come out" to their parents or the likes?[/quote]

Parents and "the likes" usually assume a person is heterosexual as the vast majority of people are. These misconceptions need to be cleared up so honest and open relationships can continue with the aforementioned parties.

[quote=LOT767-300ER
(Reply 24):

I am straight and yet I havent sat down with my dad or mom and confessed to them im straight

Your parents probably assume you're straight to begin with. Have you ever discussed your girlfriend(s) with them. Merely by mentioning a romantic attraction to the opposite sex you are, in fact, "confessing" your heterosexuality.

And why have a parade? Do straight people have parades. Its not like homosexuality is your nationality and your doing it for a national holiday or rememberance day

Ever seen a wedding procession? That's a straight people's parade. Homosexuality is a state of being...and a widely disdained and misunderstood one at that. Parades serve several functions: solidarity (as a Pole you should relate to that), visibility, a sense of self worth. It's also a way of telling the rest of the world: Get used to it, we aren't going anywhwere.

[Edited 2005-09-15 23:19:32]
"True, I talk of dreams,
Which are the children of an idle brain." -Mercutio

flyAUA

Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:21 am

I am straight and yet I havent sat down with my dad or mom and confessed to them im straight.

I think it's more of a "straight unless told otherwise" situation...

mt99

Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:26 am

Quoting L104me (Reply 25):
Gay guys (and our lesbian friends too...) constantly are asked...
"Do you have a girlfriend", "When are you going to get married", "Why aren't you seeing someone".....and in most cases those who have not "come out", have to make up lame stories, excuses, etc.. just to get the conversation moving to a different direction..

That is so true. It is so annoying! Everytime you get this questions you have to lie. Every lie like that brings me a liitle closer to say to tell them that im gay.

Im 98% sure my parents know. My mom has pussyfooted round the issue several times, but hasnt had asked upfront. I have never denied it, nor have admitted.
Step into my office, baby

stlgph

Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:28 am

so how old is this boyfriend of yours?
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

AirScoot

Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:30 am

Congratulations, American757 - I know the feeling well because something similar happened to me when I was your age. I'm now effectively twice your age and it wasn't until a couple of years ago that I started talking to my parents more than "hi, how are you, what do you want". I'm glad it wasn't painful.

Here here.

And for the record: Getting walked in on is FAR worse than being cornered verbally.  Wink

TUNisia

Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:35 am

Quoting FlyAUA (Reply 27):
I think it's more of a "straight unless told otherwise" situation...

I don't see why coming out has to be an event. If you're gay why not just show up with your boyfriend, or when the both of you feel ready? You don't even have to tell anyone your gay, because it DOESN'T MATTER !!!! Being gay isn't much different than being straight. You still have feelings... love, fear, happiness. You're still a human being most of all, and we're all equal before God and he loves us all just as equally... despite what others might say.

A lot of people could care less if you're gay, it just irritates them when people go around making a big deal out of it. People are so uptight! I'd get pretty annoyed if straight people started coming up to me telling me that they are straight and this and that. It's your sex life, not mine!
Someday the sun will shine down on me in some faraway place - Mahalia Jackson

Braybuddy

Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:47 am

Congrats American757 and good luck! Your dad sounds like a decent guy. . . I bet before long he'll be hosting gay parties in your house for you!

Blackbird1331

Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:48 am

You are too young to have made up your mind about this. Why don't the two of you go out together and try to meet, and have a good time with the opposite sex. They can give you as much love as your friend, and then some.
Cameras shoot pictures. Guns shoot people. They have the guns.

A340600

Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:51 am

Well done American757! thumbsup  Good Job, best of luck with the situation!

I had a very strange coming out. I first did it when I started to think about it, barely 10, too young really. After that we discarded it and I got girlfriends, forgot about it until I was around 12 and it started to come back, I tried to fight it. A year later I started to accept it and first properly came out when I was around 13. I'm now openly gay with my family and all friends.

The assumption though is that you're straight so no need to 'correct' people.

Quoting TUNisia (Reply 31):
I don't see why coming out has to be an event. If you're gay why not just show up with your boyfriend, or when the both of you feel ready? You don't even have to tell anyone your gay, because it DOESN'T MATTER !!!!

Oh but it does. In our society today the assumption is that people are straight, you have to come out to put things right and sometimes the whole process can be awful as some people still don't like the idea of homosexuality.

Sam
Despite the name I am a Boeing man through and through!

AMERICAN757
Topic Author

Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:46 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 29):

hes 16. like me. we will both be 17 in november. hes 4 days older than I.

UAL747

Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:13 am

Dude, your mom knew a long time ago. She just didn't say anything. Still, I am amazed at how young he is. I guess things have changed to a more open society, since I was a teenager. I'm 25 now, and hell, it was hard to come out and come to grips with my sexuality when I was 22.

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

Espion007

Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:24 am

Quoting Blackbird1331 (Reply 33):
You are too young to have made up your mind about this. Why don't the two of you go out together and try to meet, and have a good time with the opposite sex. They can give you as much love as your friend, and then some.

Somehow I really doubt you were not 100% you were straight when you were 15

Anyway way to go AMERICAN757-coming out in any way is REAL hard. Still havent "officially" told my parents,but hell they probably know.

[Edited 2005-09-16 01:35:49]
Snakes on a Plane!

captaingomes

Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:39 am

Daniel, you're gay? LOL damn I honestly couldn't see that coming, but it doesn't make a difference anyhow.

Tyler, if you're gay, you should forget Mercedes-Benz, and start liking Jags instead  duck  j/k!
"it's kind of like an Airbus, it's an engineering marvel, but there's no sense of passion" -- J. Clarkson re: Coxster

jaysit

Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:41 am

I assume you went out and blew a few guys before you made up your mind that it was girls that you liked. Spare the BS advice for your own kids. And screw up THEIR lives. Leave this poor kid alone. Like him, I knew I was gay when I was very young. About 8 or so. Perhaps, even earlier.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

stlgph

Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:58 am

Quoting AMERICAN757 (Reply 35):
hes 16. like me. we will both be 17 in november. hes 4 days older than I.

do his parents know about him?

you should take him to see Wicked for his birthday. ;p

and once you get to feeling better, you should take yourself on a trip to Woodfield for a day and just go crazy. Woodfield can be a girl's best friend after a bad few days, ya know.

AMERICAN757
Topic Author

Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:12 am

Quoting Captaingomes (Reply 38):

funny thing...I LOVE Mercedes-Benz...but I work at a Jaguar dealership photographing the cars and putting them on Ebaymotors.com lol. I like jags but they dont feel roomy enough...I'll take an S500  Smile

Quoting STLGph (Reply 40):

his mom knows. shes a lesbian. lol. and he would rather go to a concert than see a play. hes not into that. hes very straight acting. for his birthday im probably going to take him to medieval times or up to one of the cabins in the northwoods we usually rent out. idk. my dad would allow it lol. and as for me feeling better. i like woodfield but i cant think of anything i need to buy...hes bought me a few things already. and i just went on a huge shopping spree last month lol. i havent seen him in a few days since ive been sick so really spending this weekend with him is what i want. haha

I dont think I am too young to have made my mind up at all. I know what I want...and I get it  Smile

stlgph

Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:18 am

Quoting AMERICAN757 (Reply 41):
for his birthday im probably going to take him to medieval times

Medieval Times is so much fun. i've made 3 or 4 pilgrimmages to the one in Schaumburg. i always seem to end up being the second place knight. every single time. loser.

for concert venues, check pollstar.com Chicago has great concert venues if you are able to get into the city (The Vic, Riviera, etc.), but many great acts get out to Rosemont.

BA767s

Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:20 am

Well done AMERICAN757, you probs get some shitt from some people like most of us but it just shows how some people are ignorant. Believe me, once you come out you certainly find out who are your real 'friends'.

Its like, once i came out to a good mate of mine, she told me that I was gonna burn in hell! I said "look, If God made every man, he made me gay!"

Chin up m8,

John  Smile
Come on, let's fly!

searpqx

Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:25 am

Way to go - Kudos to you for being up front with your father. I came out pretty much the same age, and sort of the same way, except it was my mother that asked. Mom took it well and she now sends me Birthday cards with hunks on the front of 'em (hairless blonds not bears like I'd prefer, but hey . . .  Smile ).

My two pieces of advice to you:
Even though she likely knows, pick a time, when you're comfortable, and tell your mom. It just doesn't pay to live a lie with your family.

Be yourself first and a boyfriend second. It's great you've got companionship, and I hope it's a good long term relationship, but you're young and there is a lot of life to live. Don't let a relationship limit you at this stage in life (and I'm not talking about being a slut, monogomy is a good thing even at your age), explore what's out there, so when you reach your 30s you don't look back and start regretting that you didn't experience more that life had to offer.
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

jpetekyxmd80

Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:35 am

infact I dont agree with homosexuality

ok? what exactly is that supposed to mean?

Derr.....
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

coewr777

Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:43 am

I have nothing against gays but is it just me or is 90% of a.net members gay?

AMERICAN757
Topic Author

Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:12 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 42):

yeah im looking to see what we should go to next. we just saw "the academy is" at the metro. i get into the city fairly often. we will see. there are alot of things we could do.

KiwiNanday

Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:14 am

Quoting COEWR777 (Reply 46):
I have nothing against gays but is it just me or is 90% of a.net members gay?

Actually, its about 43%
Silly Islamic extremists, it's just a cartoon!

LOT767-300ER

Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:42 pm

Now im being flamed  Silly no pun intended.

Quoting L104me (Reply 25):
It's quite simple...if you chose not to "come out", you are basically living a lie to your parents. (Even though most parents know the truth anyway!)

What lie? Why the heck do you have to tell them? Unless they actually ASK I dont see the point.

Quoting OzarkD9S (Reply 26):
As a fact of life? It exists. As an option for yourself? Either you are or you're not.

Nope totally not as a fact of life. I totally dont have any problems with it or have any problems with anyone who is or is not. I dont agree morally with it, plain and simple.

Your parents probably assume you're straight to begin with. Have you ever discussed your girlfriend(s) with them. Merely by mentioning a romantic attraction to the opposite sex you are, in fact, "confessing" your heterosexuality.

Of course I have, but I dont think I was confessing anything.

Ever seen a wedding procession? That's a straight people's parade. Homosexuality is a state of being...and a widely disdained and misunderstood one at that. Parades serve several functions: solidarity (as a Pole you should relate to that), visibility, a sense of self worth. It's also a way of telling the rest of the world: Get used to it, we aren't going anywhwere.

I understand those values very well but I think it is ridiculous to parade around because of your sexual preference. This is a totally different reason than parading for a rememberence day for a country or for someone or some event. It is true that a parade is for visibility and self worth, but im not so sure this is a reason that I would consider "special" enough to parade for.

Quoting A340600 (Reply 34):
The assumption though is that you're straight so no need to 'correct' people.

I just clicked on his profile and it says 13-15...Kind of seems young for sexuality assumptions and these kinds of things.

Quoting JpetekYXMD80 (Reply 45):
ok? what exactly is that supposed to mean?

That I dont agree personally with it morally and religiously at it roots. Toleration and personal disagreeing are 2 different things my friend. The first I have no problem with.

Oh your at UW this explains alot!  Silly I used to live in Madison only for a year (thank god) by East Towne Mall. Its got the highest percent of socialists of any US city and I hate that damned "Nothing can be higher than our damned capitol building" law. My 4 years in WI really made me hate the bloody laws and the police of that damned state hehehe.

I dont know if your striaght and single but if you are there are 2 hot polish chicks in Sellery Hall Dorm Room #464A (Personal friends). Unfortunately only one is available but I guess you can make the best of the situation  Silly