Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

scamp
Topic Author

Homo, Homo On The Range...

Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:22 pm

Well! The eagerly awaited queer cowboy feature "Brokeback Mountain" (or is that supposed to be "Bareback Mountain?"), starring the ever lovely Heath Ledger and the equally yummy Jake Gyllenhaal (how I would love to be the filling in that sandwich...provided my boyfriend isn't looking) is set to be released nationwide in the USA on December 9. It won the Golden Lion at this year's Venice Film Festival. I can't help but wonder if this one will appeal to a mass audience. I can see it playing well here in New York, and Los Angeles, but how well will it be accepted in the flyover? Thoughts?
If it pisses off the right, I'm all for it.

TedTAce

RE: Homo, Homo On The Range...

Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:26 pm

It's not Blazing Saddles...
This space intentionally left blank

JasYHZ

Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:29 pm

I don't see it playing one of the major theatres, but perhaps the middle of town one screen shop for the indie flicks...
Sounds like quite a show, my BF has a thing for cowboys....but God those spurs scratch something awful......
"That's it! You just made the list!"

MD-90

Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:31 pm

Not very well in flyover country. They want their gays to be cute and friendly, like Queer Eye, but not overtly sexual.

AeroWesty

Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:44 pm

It's coming out of Universal's art house distributor, Focus, so I'd gather it'd do the same type of box office that My Own Private Idaho did, in relative terms.

They'd just better put in some juicy outtakes if they want me to buy the DVD, though.  Wink

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388795/trivia
International Homo of Mystery

scamp
Topic Author

Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:01 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 4):
They'd just better put in some juicy outtakes if they want me to buy the DVD, though

I assume you saw on IMDb where Ang Lee was going to edit out the frontal nudity scenes of Heath Ledger but some photographer got shots and has put them on the net?

AeroWesty

Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:04 am

Quoting Scamp (Reply 5):
I assume you saw on IMDb

Yup, yup, you never know what might end up in a different cut, or in "special features" on the DVD. It really boils down to if Heath has a restrictive nudity clause in his contract or not (which, sadly, he probably does). But I can still hope!  Smile
International Homo of Mystery

TWFirst

Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:06 am

I work part time at B&N for fun... there have been SEVERAL requests for the book... which is currently unavailable until the reprinted movie tie-in version is released in October or November.
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

scamp
Topic Author

Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:17 am

I haven't looked for any pics online myself since it's so easy to "doctor" photos you'd never know which were real or not. Not that I would have any trouble looking at any and all parts of a naked guy regardless of whether they belong to the true owner, but there is something slightly special about knowing for sure that they're the real deal.

S12PPL

Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:20 am

I doubt America as a whole is ready for this type of film. Protective parents won't let they're kids anywhere near this one, and it will be the subject of constant ridicule from Greorge W. Bush, and the rest of the bible thumpers.

It's too bad people can't just accept a movie for what it is...A movie. They'll make it more than what it is, and ruin it.
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

BNAflyer78

Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:21 am

Quoting Scamp (Thread starter):
starring the ever lovely Heath Ledger and the equally yummy Jake Gyllenhaal

What?!?? How did I miss this?

Wow...too bad I live in the backwards South where it definately won't be shown in theaters. Guess I'll wait for the DVD version (mmm, Heath and Jake on my widescreen...yummy).  bouncy 

Quoting JasYHZ (Reply 2):
Sounds like quite a show, my BF has a thing for cowboys....but God those spurs scratch something awful......

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 
Long live the Widget!

scamp
Topic Author

Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:30 am

Quoting JasYHZ (Reply 2):
but God those spurs scratch something awful

I didn't see this the first time...hysterical!!!

Quoting BNAflyer78 (Reply 10):
What?!?? How did I miss this?

www.imdb.com thank me later.  Big grin

ClassicLover

Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:10 am

Yeah it should be an interesting film  Smile

Trent.
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

CaptOveur

Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:26 am

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 1):

Scamp is still waiting to hear one of them say "Scuse me while I whip this out"
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

scamp
Topic Author

Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:52 am

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 13):
Scamp is still waiting to hear one of them say "Scuse me while I whip this out"

My heart! My heart! My southern sensibilities and delicacy prevents me from said anticipation.  Wink

PDPsol

Sat Sep 17, 2005 3:16 am

Quoting S12PPL (Reply 9):
I doubt America as a whole is ready for this type of film. Protective parents won't let they're kids anywhere near this one, and it will be the subject of constant ridicule from Greorge W. Bush, and the rest of the bible thumpers

Why isn't America 'ready' to enjoy a love story about two cowboys? I would also like to think our society has matured and developed enough to realize characters such as Jack on 'Will and Grace' are simply ridiculous caricatures and do not represent gay men in a realistic way at all.

I think Americans throughout 'flyover country', including Wyoming, where the film takes place, enjoy films about love and heartbreak. I mean, is our society so TERRIFIED about seeing two masculine, gay men express love for each other, it would shun the opportunity to watch a good movie with a couple of hot actors????

I would like to think our society now prefers members of the gay community OUT of the closet, living openly, rather than stuck behind closed doors.

[Edited 2005-09-16 20:24:30]

slider

Sat Sep 17, 2005 3:18 am

A gay cowboy film?

Must be NFL Films 2004 Dallas Cowboy yearbook.

Smile

StarCruiser

Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:06 am

Quoting S12PPL (Reply 9):
I doubt America as a whole is ready for this type of film. Protective parents won't let they're kids anywhere near this one, and it will be the subject of constant ridicule from Greorge W. Bush, and the rest of the bible thumpers.

It's too bad people can't just accept a movie for what it is...A movie. They'll make it more than what it is, and ruin it.

It never ceases to amaze me that we can shoot people with abandon and allow all sorts of violence and that's perfectly all right. But if someone dares put out a movie which threatens anyone's sexuality, it has to be banned.

When will these silly people grow up?

adh214

Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:25 am

I live in Dallas and I am sure it will play at the Angelika or one of their competitors.

scamp
Topic Author

Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:57 pm

Quoting Pdpsol (Reply 15):
Why isn't America 'ready' to enjoy a love story about two cowboys? I would also like to think our society has matured and developed enough to realize characters such as Jack on 'Will and Grace' are simply ridiculous caricatures and do not represent gay men in a realistic way at all.

I think Americans throughout 'flyover country', including Wyoming, where the film takes place, enjoy films about love and heartbreak. I mean, is our society so TERRIFIED about seeing two masculine, gay men express love for each other, it would shun the opportunity to watch a good movie with a couple of hot actors????

I would like to think our society now prefers members of the gay community OUT of the closet, living openly, rather than stuck behind closed doors.

Where the heck have you been? Venus? Seriously, the righteous right has got so much control over half of this population it will take a major miracle to have gay people, especially those in loving relationships, accepted by the whole of society. Admittedly, though Jack is a caricature, at least he is a presence in front of a lot of people on Thursday nights. Where were we in the media 20-25years ago? In limited supporting roles, for sure. Up until very recently, any gay characters in movies were shown to be total nutcakes who either were murdered or committed suicide by the end of the flick. There were very few exceptions to this rule. The mere fact that more of us are living our lives out of the closet the last few years has only recently given us what acceptance that we have. Hell, even in New York my boyfriend and I still get strange looks walking down the street holding hands in most places other than Chelsea and the West Village. And this place is looked upon as "enlightened?" Granted, there is really no way of knowing whether or not the people giving us the odd looks are from out of town or not, but we still have a long way to go...and characters in movies like this have just as long way to go. Remember, Hollywood still makes most movies with males ages 13-29 in mind. How many of those sought after dollar signs wouldn't squirm in their seats upon seeing two guys doing the horizontal hula...or even simply the tongue and tonsil twist?

LH423

Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:21 pm

Wait a sec. Two cowboys...lovers, and they're played by Jake Gyllenhaal and Heath Ledger?

Someone buy me that so I can die a happy man!  drool 

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

bhmbaglock

Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:34 pm

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 1):

No, it's Flaming Saddles!
 smile 

I would also like to think our society has matured and developed enough to realize characters such as Jack on 'Will and Grace' are simply ridiculous caricatures and do not represent gay men in a realistic way at all.

While this type is a minority, I've known several gay men who are actually very similar. Face it, some people(straight and gay) are caricatures. I think the viewers are sophisticated enough to know that he does not portray a typical gay man any more than say Suzanne Somers portrayed a typical blond.
Where are all of my respected members going?

sr117

Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:34 pm

Quoting Scamp (Reply 8):
I haven't looked for any pics online myself since it's so easy to "doctor" photos you'd never know which were real or not

Well, given the nature of the pictures, and the scene and context, it's pretty easy to assume that they are indeed the real McCoy, trust me, if you see them you'd realize it's the real thing you're looking at !  bouncy 

scamp
Topic Author

Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:39 pm

Quoting SR117 (Reply 22):
trust me, if you see them you'd realize it's the real thing you're looking at !

Well, if you see them...I'd appreciate your pointing me in that direction. He lives in Brooklyn, and that's just a short PATH and subway ride por moi.  eyepopping 

jake056

Sat Sep 17, 2005 3:30 pm

The film isn't going to go over too well in the midwest. It will do ok in NY, LA, Boston, etc. the big lib cities, and in the art houses. Which is too bad because it is a great story. I can't see it doing well in the multiplexes.

As far as we have come regarding gay rights, I still think so many people are uncomfortable with this subject matter. sad but true.

soyuzavia

Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:18 pm

Quoting Scamp (Reply 8):
I haven't looked for any pics online myself since it's so easy to "doctor" photos you'd never know which were real or not.

These ain't doctored

http://www.fmforums.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=37458

scamp
Topic Author

Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:20 pm

Quoting Soyuzavia (Reply 25):
These ain't doctored

OH! You're the best!!! As you folks would say, "thanks, mate!"  kiss  (Sorry, I couldn't find a "hug".)

LH423

Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:51 pm

Quoting Soyuzavia (Reply 25):
These ain't doctored

Guess we now know whether or not Heath went under the knife as a child  Wink

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

ltbewr

Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:10 am

I would suggest that probably the percentage of cowboys then and now whom were/are homosexal was pretty much the same as the general population. While probably depicting a true situation that existed, homesexuality is something all but a few people want to think about in serious terms. This will be a film for the 'art houses', not in the googleplex mainstream theathers unless in a college town and have set aside a screen for more open minded films. I do agree, we show irresponsible hetro sexual beheavor, obscene and open cartoonish violence, sick sophmoric humor in most of our mainstram films, but show a homosexual relationship in a non-humorous, adult and loving way, forget about it. At least the producer and director here has some guts to do this story far from the mainstream, formula garbage that far too many theatherical films are today.

seb146

Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:03 am

Historically, that is something people don't realize about the old West: There were so few women and the men who rode formed deep bonds. Sex was not really discussed, but many cowboys/fur trappers/miners came to rely on each other not only as friends but as partners in every aspect of the word.

GO CANUCKS!!
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

S12PPL

Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:14 am

I mean, is our society so TERRIFIED about seeing two masculine, gay men express love for each other, it would shun the opportunity to watch a good movie with a couple of hot actors????

Simply answered... "Yes"

Are you that out of touch with society that you'd think that America would welcome a movie like this with open arms??? Look at how "The Passion" was recieved.

Let me put it to you another way. I'm a loan officer, and my aunt, who is a lesbain, is doing five loans with me for investment properties. You can sign up to be a "gay friendly" lender some how, and that has been the butt of jokes off and on since April. So, in a joking mannor, I said to one of our more...conservative...L.O's:

"Gee, I guess I'm a "Gay Friendly" loan officer, since my aunt is a lesbain and I'm doing her loans."

He proceeded to shock me at how closed minded he was "You can't be." He said...And when I asked why, his response was "Because you don't talk like one." I was puzzled, and said "So because I don't talk like a flaming homosexual...I'm not a gay friendly lender...?" "Well, yeah." So I put on my best "Big Gay Al" voice from South Park, and said said a few sentences. All he could do was look at me shocked. He then went on to tell us that gay people only re-produce by having kids so they can "recruit" more into they're ranks...and that if you want your boys molested, you should sign them up for boy scouts. And that all gays molest boys. His reasoning that all gays molest boys was because all three of the gay guys he's know have been convicted of doing it.

So before you say America is ready for this kind of film....Think carefully about our society, and how they recieve gays.

Blackbird1331

Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:45 am

I don't get it. You like it and see nothing wrong with it. Those who see it and do not like it are wrong? Please do not push it on others. You have won the the right to do it, not the right to make everyone else to love it.
Cameras shoot pictures. Guns shoot people. They have the guns.

S12PPL

Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:51 am

Quoting Blackbird1331 (Reply 31):
I don't get it. You like it and see nothing wrong with it. Those who see it and do not like it are wrong? Please do not push it on others. You have won the the right to do it, not the right to make everyone else to love it.

No one is making you watch anything...What makes you think anyone is making you watch it?? To me this is the typical attitude of a homophobe. You'll accept homosexuals exist....And claim you're ok with them. Yet you don't want to hear anything about them??? How is that tolerance?

Blackbird1331

Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:00 am

I did not say others are okay with. The courts did. I am just obeying the law. As far as I am concerned, you can take this and....................................
Cameras shoot pictures. Guns shoot people. They have the guns.

PDPsol

Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:11 am

Quoting S12PPL (Reply 30):
So before you say America is ready for this kind of film....Think carefully about our society, and how they recieve gays.

I have no doubt our society is plagued with ignorance regarding the gay community. I am sure plenty of people believe "all gays are pedophiles" and all gay men sound and act like Big Gay Al and Jack from 'Will and Grace'.

NONETHELESS, I do believe most people in the US are, hopefully, aware of the truth: gays and lesbians are JUST like everyone else. They are not depraved, sex-crazed maniacs and want the SAME things in life as their fellow citizens.

Hopefully, all filmgoers will enjoy this movie, talk to their friends and family about it and, maybe, just maybe, assist in changing ridiculous misconceptions about the gay and lesbian community.

S12PPL

Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:23 am

Pdpsol,
While I wish that were true...as long as people think gays are sex crazed pedophiles....They will never accept a movie that portrays "normal" people as gays.

halls120

Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:15 am

You aren't really serious, are you? The only reason many people accept Jack on Will & Grace is because he is a ridiculous caricature.

I'd say the answer is a big fat yes.

While I admire your idealism, the fact is, the scenario you envision won't be taking place anytime in the near future.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

scamp
Topic Author

Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:46 pm

Quoting Blackbird1331 (Reply 33):
I did not say others are okay with. The courts did. I am just obeying the law. As far as I am concerned, you can take this and....................................

I'm more curious to know why what Blackbird1331 wrote caused you such consternation. And what is it that he should take and...........................?

Seriously.