Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

andrewuber
Topic Author

Rita Downgraded To Category 3!

Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:26 am

MSNBC has just announced that Hurricane Rita is losing strength, and is down to Category 3 (125mph winds).

Maybe it will continue to weaken!  crossfingers 
I'd rather shoot BAD_MOTIVE

AeroWesty

RE: Rita Downgraded To Category 3!

Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:32 am

I *think* this is because Rita is currently going over a cooler patch of water (if I remember the water temp maps from The Weather Channel last night correctly), and there's both warmer and cooler water ahead in its path. It could still hit as a 4 or as a high-end 3. Time will tell!
International Homo of Mystery

Pope

Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:35 am

Quoting AndrewUber (Thread starter):
Hurricane Rita is losing strength, and is down to Category 3

Thank God. How long before the democrats take credit for this development?
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

lazyshaun

Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:43 am

When is it due to hit?(roughly)
Nobody can deny global warming is getting worse now two super-strength hurricanes have hit in one month.
The more these things happen the more people will have to believe it.
Nothing can challenge Mother Mature, not even man, though we are aiding her...
I came. I saw. I conquered

jtamu97

Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:11 am

It is due to make landfall around 1:00 AM Cental time in my hometown of Beaumont, Texas. We got out of there Wednesday and thankfully as they are forcasting high winds (greater than 90 mph) of at least 12 hours duration and catastrophic flooding as we are surrounded by Rivers and Bayous and only 12 feet above sea level. Well, guess I will just keep watching the news and maybe I will see my house.

Later,
J
Propeller, we don't need no stinkin propeller

ltbewr

Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:38 am

A small relief, but still welcome. It's kinda like hitting a phone pole with your car at 35 mph vs. 50 mph - the difference in damage will be slight but still severe. It is still going to be a long, slow pass of Rita over the areas it will affect and a large area will get huge amounts of rain and extended periods of severe winds. It is going to be a mess no matter what.

WellHung

Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:02 am

Thank the good lord it veered away from Mexico.

Signed,
Airliners.net

Wink

We're Nuts

Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:08 am

Quoting Pope (Reply 2):

Congratulations, in less than ten minutes you took good news and made it nauseatingly political. Have you ever considered a job at Fox?  Yeah sure
Dear moderators: No.

Blackbird1331

Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:35 am

Pope: The republicans have to take credit. It was they who caused the global warming, as a result, a huge chunk of ice broke off of the ice shelf and floated into the way of Rita.
Cameras shoot pictures. Guns shoot people. They have the guns.

eilennaei

Sat Sep 24, 2005 6:16 am

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 5):
A small relief, but still welcome. It's kinda like hitting a phone pole with your car at 35 mph vs. 50 mph - the difference in damage will be slight but still severe.

The kinetic energy at 35 = 1225 (bogus units,values)
50 = 2500 (bogus units,values)

relative increase: 205%

Speed kills.

DLKAPA

Sat Sep 24, 2005 6:47 am

Quoting Pope (Reply 2):

When Bush pulls out of Iraq.

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 5):
It's kinda like hitting a phone pole with your car at 35 mph vs. 50 mph - the difference in damage will be slight but still severe.

See:

Quoting Eilennaei (Reply 9):
The kinetic energy at 35 = 1225 (bogus units,values)
50 = 2500 (bogus units,values)

relative increase: 205%

Ahh the joy of kinematics, but both of you are forgetting one key factor: Mass. The basic kinematic equation for kinetic energy is 1/2(mass)(velocity)2. Obviously, Air has a much different mass than a moving vehicle, therefore the damage caused by a change in velocity of a mass of air is going to be very different and thus cannot be compared to a vehicle hitting a tree.

Quoting Blackbird1331 (Reply 8):
Pope: The republicans have to take credit. It was they who caused the global warming, as a result, a huge chunk of ice broke off of the ice shelf and floated into the way of Rita.

Technically it could be said that global warming is what's causing the hurricanes  Wink
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

eilennaei

Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:48 pm

Quoting DLKAPA (Reply 10):
Ahh the joy of kinematics, but both of you are forgetting one key factor: Mass. The basic kinematic equation for kinetic energy is 1/2(mass)(velocity)2. Obviously, Air has a much different mass than a moving vehicle, therefore the damage caused by a change in velocity of a mass of air is going to be very different and thus cannot be compared to a vehicle hitting a tree.

Well, the 0.5 factor will be the same for all mass, hence it can be removed when comparing the outcome at different velocities, as I did. Air has indeed got mass, that being fundamentally important for e.g. the working of the jet engine. Air mass will have kinetic energy that will cause destruction in a hurricane. People often forget about living in an "exponential" environment -- although the speedometer has got a linear scale, the energy spent/released is not linear.