Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Braybuddy
Topic Author

Bomb In Kuta

Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:58 pm

I just heard a report about a bomb explosion in Kuta and another one somewhere else in Bali. Apparently they were in cafés. Anyone any details?

[Edited 2005-10-01 15:18:09]

EddieGunsmoke

RE: Bomb In Kuta?

Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:12 pm

Two or three explosions reported.

Braybuddy
Topic Author

RE: Bomb In Kuta?

Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:17 pm

It's night time there, so no doubt the places were packed. Again. . . .

B747-4U3

RE: Bomb In Kuta

Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:59 pm

Here is a report from the BBC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/4300274.stm

Semoga tidak banyak korban

[Edited 2005-10-01 16:14:22]

Arniepie

Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:02 am

AP says deathtoll at 19 now.
[edit post]

senorcarnival

Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:14 am

CNN was reporting 2 casualties but says many injuries and now they changed it to AT LEAST 2 casualties. Is it me or does CNN always seem to get their breaking news last? It seems like Fox, MSNBC and BBC always have it up before them.

[Edited 2005-10-01 17:16:03]
Oh no, she's getting impatient! Take a stab at it!

Nordair

Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:20 am

The CBC has said that 19 people are confirmed dead and over 50 others are injured.  Sad
"It is never legitimate to use the words of scripture to promote a loveless agenda." - Right Rev. Dr. Peter Short

EddieGunsmoke

Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:29 am

Terrorists are the scum of the earth. What the hell is wrong with these people!? Put them all on an desert island and let them die.

omoo

Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:50 am

you can kiss bali tourism goodbye with this one. innocent people are going to suffer because of the mindless actions of a small minority.
Fly Air Popobawa

1aMLA

Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:48 am

I'm sick of this shit happening , i hope they catch the bastards or make them die a really painful death and when they do die go to hell and rot there.

scums of the earth.

RIP to those who died.
pull up, pull up, pull up

Alessandro

Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:43 am

32 dead according to Swedish media, sad.... Sad
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

mandala499

Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:44 am

Last official count 25 dead, 101 injured.

My friend just left Kuta Square a few mins before the blast... close call... The one a few years back almost killed my cousin and killed someone I know  Sad

Intelligence reports pointed the target as Jakarta, apparently to take advantage of the rise in fuel prices, however, added security in Jakarta and smaller than anticipated demonstrations seemed to have made them change plans quickly!

I just can't imagine the civil strife that would ensue had the bomb been targeted at demonstrators of the rising fuel prices. We'd get a repeat of 98!

But still... 25 ppl died today coz some idiot decides to ruin everybody's day.

Mandala499
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

tbar220

Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:46 am

This is horrible. 25 dead and many more injured at the last report by the AP.

What I don't understand is why terrorists attack Muslim nations?
NO URLS in signature

cfalk

Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:09 am

Quoting Tbar220 (Reply 12):

For the same reason that they have attacked muslims in Egypt, or Iraq even. Any muslim that has a relationship with westerners is a target. They are isolationists who believe that the Islamic world should be free of all Western "polution", which includes tourism and business, or worst of all, the idea of a democracy that defends minority rights.
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

mrniji

Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:49 am

Quoting 1amla (Reply 9):
I'm sick of this shit happening , i hope they catch the bastards or make them die a really painful death and when they do die go to hell and rot there.

It is damn shit what happened. No excuse for killing people, NEVER EVER - may it be the WTC, Iraq etc. These attacks are a shame

There must be something in the tourists that pisses off the penetrators. Something that has to do with a concept of tourism that does not stand in accordance with the locality and its cultural existence

Very sad day. Hope this NEVER happens again
"The earth provides enough resources for everyone's need, but not for some people's greed." (Gandhi)

Thumper3181

Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:04 am

shouldn't the real question be why do terrorists attack innocent civilians or is it okay to attack non Muslims?

QANTASforever

Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:27 am

Quoting Omoo (Reply 8):
you can kiss bali tourism goodbye with this one.

I honestly don't think so. I hate to say it, but we've unfortunately become a little accustomed to violence of this kind - and I don't believe it instills the kind of fear and paranoia it once did. I have a relative going to Bali this week for a holiday, and she has already told me that despite these tragic events she's still going. I admit that if I was in a similar situation I would not cancel my holiday plans either.

Quoting Omoo (Reply 8):
innocent people are going to suffer because of the mindless actions of a small minority.

I agree - another reason why all this "Boycott Bali" bullshit leading up to these attacks is just so bloody wrong.

QFF
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

soyuzavia

Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:13 am

Well technically, although part of Indonesia (a Muslim nation), Bali is very much Hindu, and therefore a 'legitimate' target.

What I can't understand is why the Indonesian government continues to give legitimacy to Jemaah Islamiya -- they are not a banned organisation -- whilst paying lip service to foreign government and citizens.

QANTAS077

Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:18 am

on the anniversary of the 2002 Bali attacks and now this shit happens again...  Confused

singaporegirl

Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:09 pm

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 16):
Quoting Omoo (Reply 8):
you can kiss bali tourism goodbye with this one.

I honestly don't think so. I hate to say it, but we've unfortunately become a little accustomed to violence of this kind - and I don't believe it instills the kind of fear and paranoia it once did

i agree with qff. my husband and i are planning on purchasing a holiday villa (since we go there a lot) in the seminyank district and this bombing will not change our plan.
Ladies & Gentlemen, we will now demonstrate the use of the safety equipment on this aircraft...

B747-4U3

Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:53 pm

Quoting Soyuzavia (Reply 17):
Well technically, although part of Indonesia (a Muslim nation), Bali is very much Hindu, and therefore a 'legitimate' target.

Technically, Indonesia is not a Muslim nation, just a nation where the majority of people are Muslims. A Muslim nation would suggest somewhere where the religion of Islam and the running of the state fall under the same category, such as Iran, Saudi Arabia...etc. I believe Indonesia has 5 official religions.

mrniji

Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:08 pm

Quoting B747-4U3 (Reply 20):
Technically, Indonesia is not a Muslim nation,

I will check my last visa. If I am not mistaken, it says "Islamic Republic of Indonesia"..

Please consider the difference between "Nation" and "State". There can be many nations in a state, and they can be defined differently (Religion, ethnicity etc). If we take religion as basis for nation, Muslims are the predominant nation.
"The earth provides enough resources for everyone's need, but not for some people's greed." (Gandhi)

B747-4U3

Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:02 pm

Quoting Mrniji (Reply 21):
I will check my last visa. If I am not mistaken, it says "Islamic Republic of Indonesia"..

My last visa from July 2005 just says "Republic of Indonesia"

See also this article from Asia Times which mentions Indonesia as being a secular state.

http://www.atimes.com/editor/CC10Ba01.html

mrniji

Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:47 pm

Quoting B747-4U3 (Reply 22):
My last visa from July 2005 just says "Republic of Indonesia"

See also this article from Asia Times which mentions Indonesia as being a secular state.

My bad then...  Smile

soyuzavia

Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:33 pm

Quoting B747-4U3 (Reply 22):

It's not quite a secular state. And it's not quite a theocratic state either. It is a Pancasila state -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pancasila_Indonesia -- although the first principle certainly says that Indonesia is a religious state of sorts.

There isn't a single official state religion in Indonesia, although they only recognise Islam, Protestantism, Catholicism, Buddhism, and Hinduism. This means that everyone in Indonesia is required to have a religion, at least 'officially' - you can't be a Jew, a Ba'ath, animist (particularly concentrated in places like West Papua), etc in Indonesia.

The State also has the right to intervene under concepts of 'national interest' in religious affairs.

TNboy

Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:35 pm

Flights from Perth following the blasts were getting some cancellations, (between 15 - 30 per flight) but still leaving with large numbers of passengers. Its the start of the second week of school holidays here, and a lot of folk will just continue with their holiday as booked. The first time it was different, with massive cancellations. Qantas has said it will waive any penalty for cancellation or changes to bookings, and has flown medical teams to Bali, as well as providing extra capacity to bring people back to Australia.
Personally I would think long and hard before taking children there just now, and there is a Government warning against non-essential travel, although I do appreciate the strong message we send by maintaining our normal lifestyle despite terrorist threats.
I feel very sorry not only for the victims and their loved ones, but also for the lovely people of Bali, most of whom are also innocent victims here.
Bill
"...every aircraft is subtly different.."

JeepBoy

Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:10 pm

Quoting TNboy (Reply 25):
Personally I would think long and hard before taking children there just now, and there is a Government warning against non-essential travel, although I do appreciate the strong message we send by maintaining our normal lifestyle despite terrorist threats.

I agree, I wouldn't take any family or friends there period. There (apparently) have been travel advisories against travel to Indonesia for quite some time. People have the right to travel wherever they want to, but should not expect the government to bail them out if there are international problems. That's what travel insurance is for.

These types of attacks are only going to continue and increase in their frequency and it is up to us as individuals to decide whether or not we want to take the risks associated with travel to countries that are prone to terrorist attacks.

I feel very bad for the Balinese people and the poor Aussies (and others) that have been caught up in these problems. But the choice is yours. You have to make the choice and weigh up the dangers, and if the government warns against travel somewhere then you better get your own insurance and not expect your government to spend millions evacuating everyone in the event of some sort of attack.

As Australians we have a choice in the events of things so far. We haven't had a domestic attack just yet and we are being warned about travel to many destinations. Be wise and informed.

jb
*yay*