Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BR715-A1-30
Topic Author

Ford Fusion: UGH!

Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:26 am

Does anyone else think this car is as ugly as the edsel? Probably has the performance of a pinto.

UGH!!!
Puhdiddle

tristarenvy

RE: Ford Fusion: UGH!

Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:36 am

Personally, the Edsel ain't so bad.

Yeah, Fusion is a bland-ish looking car, however, I suspect it'll be a good seller. The price, according to Car and Driver, seems pretty reasonable, and I suspect it'll replace the taurus as the darling of the fleet and rental car companies.
If you don't stand for SOMETHING, you'll fall for ANYTHING.

DucatiRacer

Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:43 am

The Fusion is based on the Mazda 6. As such, I think it will perform reasonably well.

drerx7

Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:49 am

Yeah--the V6 Fusion will have the Duratec V6 with about 220HP and the 4 cylinder version will be the 160Hp Mazda unit. It should perform pretty good for a family hauler sedan--looks are subjective--I've seen better and worse.
HOUSTON, TEXAS

Pyrex

Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:55 am

Ford must be screwing with the names again as they sell a Fusion in Europe that is nothing like a Taurus... it is more a mini-MPV.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

srbmod

Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:57 am

Looks like they ripped off Cadillac......

It's being positioned as their mid-size car, competing with Chevy's Malibu, Dodge's Stratus, and Chrysler's Sebring (The Stratus and Sebring will sporting new looks next Summer, and the Stratus name may be retired and the Challenger name brought back) among the Big 3 makers.

Pyrex

Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:06 am

Wow, it is absolutely NOTHING like the European Fusion...
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

RedDragon

Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:06 am

You think your Fusion is dire...

http://www.in.gr/auto/dokimes/pr_dokimes_in/Ford_Fusion_1600/big/in_Ford_Fusion_01.jpg

Nooooo!!!!!!

RayChuang

Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:13 am

RedDragon,

Thank the right sentient "upstairs" that Ford didn't sell the European Ford Fusion in the USA.  Smile

I do think that Ford will sell the next-generation Fiesta in the USA, and the wagon version will probably be better-styled to fit American buyer preferences.

PHLBOS

Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:48 am

Quoting Tristarenvy (Reply 1):
I suspect it'll replace the taurus as the darling of the fleet and rental car companies.

Ultimately, it will. The Taurus/Sable sedans I believe will still be offered for the 2006 model but it will probably have an abbreviated run. The Taurus/Sable wagons have been completely dropped from the 2006 model lineup.

Truth be told, the Taurus/Sable models are actually being replaced by BOTH the upcoming Fusion/Milan and the slightly larger Five Hundred/Montego models introduced this time last year.

The Freestyle will take over for the Taurus wagon. I believe Mercury will offer their own version of the Freestyle as well (unsure of the model name but it will start with a 'M').

Should the 4-cylinder Fusion produce decent gas mileage ratings and yet still offer decent performance; it could be a strong retail seller given the currently high gas prices. It's all in the timing.

[Edited 2005-10-06 23:50:59]
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

RedDragon

Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:55 am

Quoting RayChuang (Reply 8):
I do think that Ford will sell the next-generation Fiesta in the USA, and the wagon version will probably be better-styled to fit American buyer preferences.

How many truly small cars (say superminis, ie. Fiesta-size) are being sold in the North American market these days? Other than the Midi Mini, I'm not really aware of any, aside from the Flanders' Geo Metro/Suzuki Swift.

Rich

PHLBOS

Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:00 am

Quoting RedDragon (Reply 10):
I'm not really aware of any, aside from the Flanders' Geo Metro/Suzuki Swift.

I believe that the Chevy Aveo replaced the Geo Metro a year or two ago.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

drewfly

Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:47 am

The fusion is by FAR the best looking car in its class. Accord? Bland. Camry? BORING. Malibu? Ugly. New Sonata? An Accord with sharper edges. This an evolutionary progression from the Taurus, and thank God. With the exception of the stereo, the Fusion is the coolest family sedan out there. Not quite Mazda 6 handling, but more practical.
A-10 Thunderbolt II, ugly as hell, efficient as hell, would you like to meet my boomstick?

aa777flyer

Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:59 am

Quoting BR715-A1-30 (Thread starter):
Probably has the performance of a pinto.

Hey...my Pinto (in highschool) had a small block V6, it was actually kind of fast, although it was NO chick magnet...
The TSA was created to make the post office look efficient!

DfwRevolution

Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:02 am

>> The fusion is by FAR the best looking car in its class. Accord? Bland. Camry? BORING. Malibu? Ugly. New Sonata? An Accord with sharper edges.

Leave the under 25 mindset for a moment and remember that the Accord and Camry are still some of the most economical, reliable, and best driving cars in their class. It's why the Ford Taurus is dead as a do-do these days. They aren't flashy, but they get the job done better than any.

The Camry has a complete redesign due in 2007, so it will remain very competitive.

The Accord has been given a minor styling, cabin, and powertrain update for 2006. A full redesign is expected in the next few years. It, too, will remain very competitive.

>> How many truly small cars (say superminis, ie. Fiesta-size) are being sold in the North American market these days?

The "smallest" of the compact cars that I can think of are:

Chevy Aveo, Honda Insight hatchback, Scion x/A, Toyota Echo, and VW Golf/GTI

I don't know if these qualify as "Flanders-mobiles"
I have a three post per topic limit. You're welcome to have the last word.

drewfly

Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:08 am

Quoting DfwRevolution (Reply 14):

Leave the under 25 mindset for a moment and remember that the Accord and Camry are still some of the most economical, reliable, and best driving cars in their class. It's why the Ford Taurus is dead as a do-do these days. They aren't flashy, but they get the job done better than any.

The Camry has a complete redesign due in 2007, so it will remain very competitive.

The Accord has been given a minor styling, cabin, and powertrain update for 2006. A full redesign is expected in the next few years. It, too, will remain very competitive.

I understand, and will agree that the styling may not be for everyone. I'm not at all saying the Camry and Accord will not be competitive, those 2 will stay the best selling cars regardless of design. IMO, the new Accord and the current Camry are not good looking vehicles. I think the LED taillights in the Honda are a cool touch, but the rear of the car looks out of proportion. The Camry is just plain ugly, but we shall see how the 2007 model fairs. Here is a review of the Fusion. http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FullTests/articleId=107412
A-10 Thunderbolt II, ugly as hell, efficient as hell, would you like to meet my boomstick?

RedDragon

Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:35 pm

Interesting... does VW sell non-GTI Golfs? If so, how are they faring against the historically much-more-suited-to-North-America Jetta (aka Vento/Bora)?

KevinL1011

Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:40 pm

Dodge Charger, now there's an ugly beast.
474218, Carl, You will be missed.

cornish

Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:44 pm

Quoting RedDragon (Reply 16):
Interesting... does VW sell non-GTI Golfs? If so, how are they faring against the historically much-more-suited-to-North-America Jetta (aka Vento/Bora)?

Jetta is by far VW group's biggest seller in N.America.

They're now introducing the Audi A3 for the first time - in five door only. previously nothing smaller thn A4 was sold.

Talking of the Golf, don't forget the Focus has been sold in the US too.

How many truly small cars (say superminis, ie. Fiesta-size) are being sold in the North American market these days? Other than the Midi Mini, I'm not really aware of any, aside from the Flanders' Geo Metro/Suzuki Swift.

Once upon a time they were lucky enough to get Yugo's like we were  Wink At least one good thing to come out of the Balkan Wars was that it stopped the export of those things....  Wink
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

RedDragon

Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:37 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 18):
Talking of the Golf, don't forget the Focus has been sold in the US too.

Of course... and it was as much of a revelation there as in Europe wasn't it?

Are Ford replacing it with the Focus II?

Quoting Cornish (Reply 18):
Once upon a time they were lucky enough to get Yugo's like we were  Wink

I didn't know that... you learn something every day.

One of my mates from my degree has a Yugo... he tried to get it on Pimp My Ride but failed  Sad I was amazed at just how flimsy it was inside... flat plastic lollipop sticks for column stalks and everything!

Rich

atco2b

Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:30 pm

Hey, you want to go out for pizza and some sex? What, you don't like pizza?

cornish

Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:33 pm

Quoting RedDragon (Reply 19):
didn't know that... you learn something every day.

One of my mates from my degree has a Yugo... he tried to get it on Pimp My Ride but failed I was amazed at just how flimsy it was inside... flat plastic lollipop sticks for column stalks and everything!

Pimp my ride with a Yugo !!  rotfl 

Can't think why it failed.....

I think the Yugo was the cheapest car on sale in the US back in the late 80s -perhaps one of our stateside A.netters can confirm.
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

ltbewr

Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:47 pm

The Fusion is defenitly a good move for Ford, but I would rather have a Mazda 6 just for it looks. It does show a move away from the 'egg' shape too many USA Fords have had for many years.
The Chevy Avro (made in Korea for GM), Scion Xa (a Toyota model) the BMW Mini are among the smallest new cars sold legally in the USA.
The 'Yugo' was about the cheapest car available in the USA in the late 80's-early 90's, with base prices starting just under $4,000. They were a real POS. They were imported by a Mr. Bricklin, who had made a sport coupe with his name in the mid 1970's assembled in eastern Canada, took them for millions. Currently, he is working on importing Chinese made cars, probably selling models for less than $10,000 base prices. They are having problems getting them to pass crash standards however.

tristarenvy

Sat Oct 08, 2005 5:03 am

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 22):
Currently, he is working on importing Chinese made cars, probably selling models for less than $10,000 base prices. They are having problems getting them to pass crash standards however.

There's always talk that some former Communist/Third World country is going to flood us with cheap cars. The Yugo made it to our shores, but I remember talk that Lada was coming, and the ARO, a Rumanian SUV, was also about too hit. But nothing ever comes of it. I think we Americans have gotten too jaded about "bling" as opposed to "cheap".

Our Canadian Cousins can tell us more about Lada's, as they have been sold there for a while, correct?
If you don't stand for SOMETHING, you'll fall for ANYTHING.

maury

Sat Oct 08, 2005 5:18 am

Foci:

US spec is still the previous Euro one; I've heard Ford is planning to skip "v 2.0" in the US completely and update our Focus when(ever) v 3 comes out. Pity, as I hear the current "Focus II" is pretty nice.

I'm driving a 2005 US Focus and, bland restyle notwithstanding, it's nice. Tight, quick, roomy...small...alla that!

On-topic statement" I think Fusion's OK. Ford, GM and Chrysler are sort of "all over the place" on styling across their lines right now, but it looks like that sharp-edged (a la Cadillac, Fusion) look is ascendant.

Kay

Sat Oct 08, 2005 5:19 am

I think this is its best angle:

http://www.autoreview.ru/new_site/year2003/n17/060_63_crash/800/20.jpg

Wink

Kay

srbmod

Sat Oct 08, 2005 5:24 am

Quoting Cornish (Reply 21):
I think the Yugo was the cheapest car on sale in the US back in the late 80s -perhaps one of our stateside A.netters can confirm.

I remember in the early 90s a kid in my neighborhood had one. His parents bought it at an auction for $1000. Dumbass put a car alarm on it because of the stereo system he put in that cost more than the car (like someone would even suspect that a Yugo would have a decent stereo in it). I've seen mopeds with better pickup than that Yugo. Thing was pretty light, as two of us could pick it up and move it a few feet; some folks at school picked it up and put it in the bushes next to where he parked it. He finally got rid of it after about a year or so, I think it finally died was why he got rid of it.

MAH4546

Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:24 am

Interesting... does VW sell non-GTI Golfs?

Yes, they do. The Jetta outsells it at a rate of about 1:8, but the Golf has a strong niche market.

Kia Rio and Rio5, Hyundai Accent, Chevrolet Aveo (aka Daewoo/Chevrolet Kalos), Toyota ECHO (aka Toyota Yaris), Honda Fit (on sale in the spring), Nissan Versa (on sale in the spring), Scion xA, and Scion xB.
a.

teva

Sat Oct 08, 2005 5:03 pm

You know what? I have the European Fusion...An d I am very happy with it: comfort, equipment and space.
Teva
Ecoute les orgues, Elles jouent pour toi...C'est le requiem pour un con

777ER
Head Moderator

Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:13 pm

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 5):

That car looks more like the European designed Holden Vectra that is for sale in new zealand

Quoting RedDragon (Reply 7):

That looks like the Ford Festiva that is sold in new zealand. The Festiva is 1 out of 2 cars that I hate driving while at work as they are very uncomfy and for me very under powered Sad
Head Forum Moderator
[email protected]
Flown: 1900D,S340,Q300,AT72-5/6,DC3,CR2/7,E145,E70/75/90,A319/20/21,A332/3,A359,A380,F100,B717,B733/4/8/9,B742/4,B752/3,B763,B772/3, B789
With: NZ,SJ,QF,JQ,EK,VA,AA,UA,DL,FL,AC,FJ,SQ,TG,PR

Boeing Nut

Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:14 am

I recently saw Motorweek do a drive test on the Fusion, and outside of a couple very minor things they couldn't say anything negative about it. Performance, looks (eye of the beholder), driving behavior and so on, they gave it great marks.........for the money. Obviously, it's not the best performing car they've ever test driven, but again, they gave it great marks for the money.
I'm not a real aeronautical engineer, I just play one on Airliners.net.

Boeing Nut

Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:17 am

Quoting Drewfly (Reply 15):
The Camry is just plain ugly, but we shall see how the 2007 model fairs.

It's coming as a hybrid also.
I'm not a real aeronautical engineer, I just play one on Airliners.net.

andz

Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:17 am

does VW sell non-GTI Golfs?

Here the range includes 2 models of GTi, 2 models of 2 litre TDi, and 3 models of 1.6i

There is also the CitiGolf which is the Golf 1 in 5 models with 1.4i or 1.6i engines. Entry level student car.

http://www.vw.co.za
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...